closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Explorer 2 advice sought

Blog Entries

Explorer 2 advice sought

I have a hankering for an Explorer 2. I have been trying to reduce my watches to about 4 or 5 so as to have a more rapid or useable rotation. I have a black dial diver, dress watch, smaller vintage dress watch and Seiko 200m for the risky days as well as a Bulova for easy use.
    So a polar Exp 2 is looking like a good add to have.
    I know that discount is impossible on the other steel models but what is people’s experience buying these?
    Be nice to have an idea before getting all swoony trying it on.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It certainly seems to be readily available and it's one of the only SS watches you regularly see in the window. I'd imagine that could lead to a Discount but much of that will depend on both your relationship with the AD and their sales figures at the time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just checked Iconic and they have them at 6% off rrp.

Master
    I have 5 Rolex and my 1980 1655 Freccione Explorer11 is my favourite.

It is very accurate, waterproof to 100 meters and very much under the radar.

There was one for sale in the SC a few days ago which is rare because they don't come up that often.

They only came in black.

The only downside is that the dial (often nicknamed the disco dial) takes some time to master as it has a 24 dial super imposed over a 12 hour one.

Also it has a perspex lens which although easy to scratch is dead easy to polish up.

I thoroughly recommend them.

Craftsman
    I have a Polar Explorer II and I find I usually reach for this first.

It is very under the radar, I like the bigger size. I think it is a very underated watch.

I can't comment on discounts on new as I bought mine pre-owned. It was hardly worn, still had some stickers on and I saved about 15-20% from memory.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I Just bought the older model 16570 in white. Wanted one for quite some time. I find the older model a bit more balanced. The new model is definitely not suitable for wrists under 17cm..

I have the newer 42mm polar, and love it. Great size and looks like no other watch imo.

It's actually my third!

Craftsman
    There's been Explorer II for sale in Heathrow T3 and T5 last two times I've been through. Bit of a gamble but a cheap flight out of the EU might be worth it for a 20% reduction.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies guys, good thoughts. Was hoping to buy from my AD (!!!) so knowing if anywhere is giving any discounts might help!
    Ian

Craftsman
    I bought a Polar II about 6 weeks ago. No chance of a discount, as I tried, but if it’s the watch you want, go for it. Love mine!

Craftsman
    In T5 right now firmly told no Explorers of any flavour available

Also no Omega Railmaster in WoS

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a 42mm Exp2 with the seemingly rarer (at least on TZ!) black dial. The only downside is having to drop it off at St James's to have the floppy hour hand fixed and then having to take it back again for them to fix the oily fingerprint they left in the centre of the dial (they replaced the dial). On the plus side, the dial started off very dark brown and when they replaced it the new one is black as it should be, and significantly nicer. Bearing in mind I bought it brand new from an AD (who also tried to give it to me in a box that looked like they used it for rugby practice every morning) it's put me off new Rolexes and I'm hoping Duncan Potter will be able to service it when the time comes as I don't trust Rolex to do it properly.

If I was buying it again but had a choice of that watch or a High Beat GMT Grand Seiko I'd go for the latter. It was my 40th birthday present to myself and my son loves it so it's definitely a keeper (no, not like a LTF keeper). It's a nice watch too, but I wouldn't say for the price it was a quality product.
    "A man of little significance"

I have a couple of 16550's. One creme, the other a Black Rail dial. The black one make a nice change from the normal subs, GMT's simply because of the steel bezel.

The Creme, makes a very nice change simply because there is nothing else lik it. The down side is that dial and hands are now so well matched that it's actually quite difficult to glance at your watch and tell the time.
    Last edited by Andyg; 20th November 2017 at 17:00.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Had a black dial in 2014, sold it in 2015 to free the funds for another new motorbike, I will definitely have another and it will definitely be a black dial again

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, always nice to get some feedback before jumping!

Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    I bought a Polar II about 6 weeks ago. No chance of a discount, as I tried, but if it’s the watch you want, go for it. Love mine!
    Thats what I thought might be the case. Will have to decide whether to go grey market or not then.

Don’t you fancy buying a used one?

The explorer 2 polar is hopefully my next watch. I just need to find a way to not have to sell a couple of other nice pieces in order to buy it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Don’t you fancy buying a used one?

TBH no, not at the prices I see people asking for them. For anything decent the savings aren't significant enough. Rather get a bit more kudos with the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    The explorer 2 polar is hopefully my next watch. I just need to find a way to not have to sell a couple of other nice pieces in order to buy it!
    Have already sold 2 Omega's that weren't making the cut often enough, so sorted in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    TBH no, not at the prices I see people asking for them. For anything decent the savings aren't significant enough. Rather get a bit more kudos with the dealer.
    The most I was offered off 6 months ago was £150 from a single shop retailer. All the chains said no discount as it’s a sports model.

What prices are seeing them at that a brand new one without discount is more appealing than second hand?!

Craftsman
    I love the explorer 2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The most I was offered off 6 months ago was £150 from a single shop retailer. All the chains said no discount as it’s a sports model.

What prices are seeing them at that a brand new one without discount is more appealing than second hand?!
    Watchfinder have a 2016 for £5650 and a 2014 for £5450. With others in-between and older. New list is £5950. Doesn't seem worth saving that amount if you're spending over 5k anyway.
    Ian

Watchfinder have a 2016 for £5650 and a 2014 for £5450. With others in-between and older. New list is £5950. Doesn't seem worth saving that amount if you're spending over 5k anyway.
    Ian
    Ah for that I wouldn’t bother, I see your point. I have one on SC at the moment for ~£4,850. That’s worth the saving but Watchfinder aren’t competitive at the moment.

I too am very tempted by the Exp 2, but rather black for me. And not the new hefty monster. But I want functional lume! A compromise shall have to be made.

I just bought a brand new 216570 from Chronext. Took about 6 weeks from order to collecting in their Fleet St showroom. Their website price is linked to the GBP-Euro exchange rate so timing your purchase can make a couple of hundred pounds difference. As a previous customer, I can also refer you for a £100 discount. PM me if you want details. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Christian; 22nd November 2017 at 03:45.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the thoughts guys, always nice to get some feedback before jumping!

Thats what I thought might be the case. Will have to decide whether to go grey market or not then.
    I was going to go with Iconic but only £500-600 saving and the AD had one I just had to pull the trigger. You won’t regret it.

Master
    just go for it Ian,you know you will in the end,resistance is futile..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I just bought a brand new 216570 from Chronext. Took about 6 weeks from order to collecting in their Fleet St showroom. Their website price is linked to the GBP-Euro exchange rate so timing your purchase can make a couple of hundred pounds difference. As a previous customer, I can also refer you for a £100 discount. PM me if you want details. Highly recommended.
    Thanks for the kind offer will bear it in mind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    just go for it Ian,you know you will in the end,resistance is futile..
    Maybe so.!

Blog Entries
    Does anyone know if Rolex would re-finish the bezel on the Exp 2 ? As a part of service or separately?

Does anyone know if Rolex would re-finish the bezel on the Exp 2 ? As a part of service or separately?
    I’m pretty sure they’ll only touch it as part of a service. Rolex accredited independents might differ.

Master
    I’m going on memory here so pls excuse me if I’m incorrect but I believe that the bezel is renowned to be difficult to refinish satisfactorily and often Rolex recommend replacement.

This is Omega Gary’s post about it and it looks okay so perhaps I am wrong???

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...el-a-pictorial

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys just trying to research a bit more about the Exp 2, from people with more experience than me.

I believe you can purchase a new bezel from Rolex, not sure of the cost of if they insist on a service though.

Maybe give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I too am very tempted by the Exp 2, but rather black for me. And not the new hefty monster. But I want functional lume! A compromise shall have to be made.
    If you find a later 40mm 16570 with Swiss made dial the Lume will be fine
    ( SuperLuminova)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    I believe you can purchase a new bezel from Rolex, not sure of the cost of if they insist on a service though.

Maybe give them a call
    They will insist on a service.

Haywood Milton did a good job on my old bezel. I'm sure he would be reasonable about costs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    They will insist on a service.

Haywood Milton did a good job on my old bezel. I'm sure he would be reasonable about costs.

Thats good to know. Thanks.

Master
    I have a 1980 Rolex Explorer11 Freccione 1655.

The bezel is well worn and I asked the local AD if he would replace it. He said he would at a cost of £160.00. However he talked me out of it explaining that it would screw up the originality.

Master
    Thanks guys just trying to research a bit more about the Exp 2, from people with more experience than me.
    Owned the Polar since Jan 2014 and i got 13.5% off at my local Rolex AD but i knew them well and if buying from them now would be around 5%.

I can't remember the exact figure but Rolex would prefer to fit a new bezel at service if needed and i think it is around £150.

I would buy new in your position and get the 5 year warranty.

Did you get much % discount off RRP ?

I just bought a brand new 216570 from Chronext. Took about 6 weeks from order to collecting in their Fleet St showroom. Their website price is linked to the GBP-Euro exchange rate so timing your purchase can make a couple of hundred pounds difference.

I paid £5330 for a brand new, AD sourced Explorer 2.

Blog Entries
    How does it affect the warranty?

Good price. Recently?