closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Longines VHP - anyone seen one yet?

Longines VHP - anyone seen one yet?

Seems that stock of these is starting to appear - anyone seen one yet? +/- 5 per year seems good for £700 but I wasn't sold on the crown in the images I saw.

Master
    I can’t be of any assistance but I had forgotten about these having read about them months ago, I have fancied a white dialled watch for ages and this could well be the solution so thanks for posting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StuS View Post
    I can’t be of any assistance but I had forgotten about these having read about them months ago, I have fancied a white dialled watch for ages and this could well be the solution so thanks for posting.
    Looking in more detail I see it is actually silver but I do quite like it.

I presume you're already following all the stuff on the HAQ forum on WUS?

I’ve just ordered one, so shall report back once it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    I presume you're already following all the stuff on the HAQ forum on WUS?
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I’ve just ordered one, so shall report back once it arrives.
    Excellent - provide plenty of pictures - I've seen reports on WUS that it arrives without the manual that tells you how to set it!

+1 on photos. Not too sold on the looks from what I've found online, but there seem to be a few different models & it's hard to tell much from stock photos.

I was thinking about the accuracy figures on these. Assuming it has a 10-year battery life (which it probably doesn't) and is set to UTC at the factory, you could just run it until it dies without ever setting it. It will still always be better than +/- 1 minute from UTC.

Most of my watches will be less accurate than that within a week.

Mine has arrived.

Jura tell me I have the first one that they have seen.

As warned above although it comes with a massive manual it doesn't actually cover this watch! I had to google the instructions as it is not exactly a traditional setting process.

It is a really lovely watch - will take some pictures a) when its light and b) when I have time - so not likely before Boxing Day.

I bought one in Heathrow Terminal 2 last week. Beautiful watch (the blue face, non-chrono). Can't do photos at the moment though.

The smaller white faced three harder will possibly be my next watch - but only when I find it at a price I like (might have to wait until August when i next pass though LHR!)

...unless one turns up on SC first of course ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    The smaller white faced three harder will possibly be my next watch - but only when I find it at a price I like (might have to wait until August when i next pass though LHR!)

...unless one turns up on SC first of course ;-)
    That's the one I have.

Just a heads up. With Jura Watches having a 15% coupon today, BD15, you can pick up the carbon dial, and the black dial versions of this for £586.50. There is also a few percent cashback (around £17) if you use topcashback. Hope that helps someone.

Master
    I’m waiting for them to put this movement in a different watch, I hope they realise the potential they have there to take a new design direction and build challengers to the GS quartz line.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I’m waiting for them to put this movement in a different watch, I hope they realise the potential they have there to take a new design direction and build challengers to the GS quartz line.
    I've forgotten - does the movement have a perpetual calendar?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    'Additional features include a very interesting-sounding "gear position detection" system, which allows the hands to be re-aligned should they become displaced by a shock or a strong magnetic field, a perpetual calendar, and a five year battery life. Water resistance is 50 meters.'

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...tz-introducing

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Yes it does.

Here are a few pictures of mine:

So far very pleased with it. Only slight disappointment is it is a bit thicker than I would have liked. The water resistance I knew about but more than 50m would have been nice.

For the money (I ordered a while ago and got 10% off from Jura) I think it is excellent value.

Really like the recently announced 2018 Commonwealth Games version

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    So far very pleased with it. Only slight disappointment is it is a bit thicker than I would have liked. The water resistance I knew about but more than 50m would have been nice.
    Are Longines one of the small number of brands who actually mean their WR? My Nivrel is rated 50m, and yours looks a significantly better-protected watch!

Master
    I really like this watch but would have liked the sweeping second hand like the bulova high frequency range.

Quote Originally Posted by catflap View Post
    Really like the recently announced 2018 Commonwealth Games version

Ding Dong! Not been a fan of this range until the VHPs came out, but this is something else. I hope it looks as good in the flesh.

It's not clear who will stock them

Master
    Like the dark dial one.

I was hoping for a minute it was another bulova Accutron movement like the old Ultronic but with the new smooth sweeping bulova Accutron II movement. Seems it’s a ticker.

Looks nice though.

Master
    5 sec/year, perpetual calendar and time zone hour hand is pretty much the wish list for a high end quartz, and catches GS napping - all they can really fight back with is tried and tested reliability and service intervals. It's been a long time since GS thought of improving the 9F in any fundamental way.

However GS are certainly far ahead on design and finishing. The Longines movement deserves to go into some other cases, and sizes, I do hope Longines make the most of it.

I tried on a blue dial one today. I thought it was quite a cool watch and seemed good value for money and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Ok, not even 2018 but already got next year’s 1st watch in my sights,

That’s lovely and like / admire the tech

Tried some on in Glasgow today - a lot of watch for the money!

...but I wasn't sold on the crown in the images I saw.
    Tried some on in Glasgow today - a lot of watch for the money!
    Can I ask how the crown looked to you on the wrist?

Craftsman
    Like this watch will pop in to town and have a closer look

Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Can I ask how the crown looked to you on the wrist?
    A lot better - I thought it looked too big in the photos but looks in proportion in real life. I was tempted to pick one up but this I will wait for the commonwealth games edition.

Really liking the dark dial version.

Master
    Tried one on today in Preston but my OCD kicked in as one of them hit the baton markers with the second hand and the other didn't.

Also waiting for the limited edition watch to see if it looks as good in the flesh.

Craftsman
    I do like a Longines and def like the look of these! Unfortunately I fancy a legend diver and hydro conquest first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I recently saw one of these in person, and I'm not going to sugar coat it - the word 'obese' sprang to mind. This is unfortunate, as one of the world's most interesting movements is now owned by one of the world's most directionless brands. I think they have only one watch I'd even consider wearing, and it isn't this one. I do hope they use this movement as inspiration for a rethink. Such a pity when you consider how elegant some of their vintage dress watches were in the distant past.

Craftsman
    Your opinion of Longines is yours, it isn't one I agree with.

. This is unfortunate, as one of the world's most interesting movements is now owned by one of the world's most directionless brands. I think they have only one watch I'd even consider wearing, and it isn't this one. I do hope they use this movement as inspiration for a rethink.

Master

Longines VHP - anyone seen one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by James K View Post
    Your opinion of Longines is yours, it isn't one I agree with.
    I may have been a little harsh there, they have a few reasonable watches in the collection, though the brand as a whole doesn’t set the pulse racing for me. It was just disappointing to see the actual watch after liking the specs of the movement. It’s very thick, with a bloated looking and ungainly case that’s partly hidden in the photos. I hope that’s not because the movement itself requires it.

With these specs, they could have made a watch that would take on Grand Seiko’s 9F range, but they’ve aimed a lot lower sadly. Nonetheless, GS should take this as a warning, it’s high time they developed a 10F with a perpetual calendar and time zone function.

I’m a peasant clearly looks like a seiko 5 to me.

But then I clearly don’t have taste!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I may have been a little harsh there, they have a few reasonable watches in the collection, though the brand as a whole doesn’t set the pulse racing for me. It was just disappointing to see the actual watch after liking the specs of the movement. It’s very thick, with a bloated looking and ungainly case that’s partly hidden in the photos. I hope that’s not because the movement itself requires it.

With these specs, they could have made a watch that would take on Grand Seiko’s 9F range, but they’ve aimed a lot lower sadly. Nonetheless, GS should take this as a warning, it’s high time they developed a 10F with a perpetual calendar and time zone function.
    I have mine on as I type and I have to say it doesn't look bloated to me - I think it wears very well. It is certainly a little thicker than I would have liked but its hardly bloated. Be interested to know which case size you were looking at - I have the smaller of the two case options for three handers.

I also have a couple of GS's and it stands up surprisingly well considering the price difference.

Master
    There are three sizes. And this watch has to present a real challenge to Grand Seiko; it is even more precise, the battery lasts a lot longer , it has a perpetual calendar and still costs a third as much. No doubt the finish is slightly inferior, but at some point, how many people will care.
    I have owned quite a few GS models, including quartz. They are lovely watches, but I feel Grand Seiko are a bit complacent. A 10F should have appeared years ago. Only their great spring drives are still cutting edge.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There are three sizes. And this watch has to present a real challenge to Grand Seiko; it is even more precise, the battery lasts a lot longer , it has a perpetual calendar and still costs a third as much. No doubt the finish is slightly inferior, but at some point, how many people will care.
    I have owned quite a few GS models, including quartz. They are lovely watches, but I feel Grand Seiko are a bit complacent. A 10F should have appeared years ago. Only their great spring drives are still cutting edge.
    Well it's funny - I went a few shops down and tried on the base Grand Seiko quartz - it was about £2600 and I didn't see £2000 worth of difference...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Agreed, though GS as a brand have clearly made a bigger impact in design terms, in overall quality, and desirability - in spite of some misgivings over the original Seiko branding, and of Longines long Swiss history.

The range of sizes for the V.H.P. is 41-44mm, so pretty generous. Fine if you like that kind of thing, I believe they had the American market in mind. Personally I’d like to see this movement in something closer to a 38.5mm Master / Record, and they could work on their bracelets. But with their focus firmly on the mid-market I detect a lack of ambition to create something really special, which this unique movement deserves - arguably it’s the best quartz movement on offer, excepting some marmite Ana-digital hybrids.

It’s the traditional Swiss attitude of quartz competing on price and not quality, and rarely being an option for a classically smart watch. A movement with these specs could be the basis of an awesome all rounder and daily wearer, in the mould of the Aqua Terra or various GS 9Fs. For me this version doesn’t really achieve that level.

Master
    Had a look at one in Chisholm Hunter Aberdeen yesterday. Apparently the first person to ask to see it. Great looking but think I prefer my Conquest Sport automatic looks-wise.