closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thermal Underwear

Journeyman

Thermal Underwear

I’m obviously at a certain age that I’m even considering long johns/ knitted vests but this last week I’ve been unable to walk past a toilet without having to pop in, I’ve always had a bladder similar in size to a satsuma but wondering if anyone can confirm that cozy pants keep the chill out enough to actually make a difference when the temperature drops?

What fresh hell is this?

Journeyman
    Cold snap = piss like a racehorse

Hello

Ussen do some nice thermals that don’t look too ridiculous. They are very warm and comfortable.

I have worn them at night and also in a former lifetime under my work trousers while out in the cold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hey, I'm 36 and I wear long johns, (well if I'm working outside at least). It might make a bit of a difference but I doubt a massive amount.

Oh, and get yourself to the docs for a quick once over. Better safe than sorry!

Master
    Helly Henson have always served me well

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    Ussen do some nice thermals that don’t look too ridiculous. They are very warm and comfortable.

I have worn them at night and also in a former lifetime under my work trousers while out in the cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Hey, I'm 36 and I wear long johns, (well if I'm working outside at least). It might make a bit of a difference but I doubt a massive amount.

Oh, and get yourself to the docs for a quick once over. Better safe than sorry!
    I’ll have a look at Ussen and thanks for the advice, Im otherwise healthy but will keep that in mind.

Master
    Try icebreaker which is mostly 100% Merino wool.
    I have a few of their pieces and they are excellent. You can get different weights depending on climate, apparently you can wear them for 2 weeks without odour but I wouldn’t be willing to try that.
    Great for their intended purpose and travelling light though.

I can only reiterate what I was told when I posted a similar query a couple of years ago - 'Go to shop, buy long johns, soil long johns, wash nethers'. That should cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupe View Post
    Try icebreaker which is mostly 100% Merino wool.
    I have a few of their pieces and they are excellent. You can get different weights depending on climate, apparently you can wear them for 2 weeks without odour but I wouldn’t be willing to try that.
    Great for their intended purpose and travelling light though.
    Icebreaker used to be fantastic, but my current stuff isn’t as good as the older stuff.
    It's just a matter of time...

My current favourites :

Synthetic - helly hansen lifa
    Merino - janus or isobaa from sport pursuit

Master
    Icebreaker, Mountain Warehouse Merino or for good value for money Uniqlo Heattech

Don't rule out the string vest and Y fronts combination.

An excellent blend of style and thermal retention.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Don't rule out the string vest and Y fronts combination.

An excellent blend of style and thermal retention.

I’d need to style that up with a Daily Record in my back pocket and a bottle of Irn Bru in hand which probably wouldn’t help the problem explained in the original post.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cptnbignose View Post
    I’d need to style that up with a Daily Record in my back pocket and a bottle of Irn Bru in hand which probably wouldn’t help the problem explained in the original post.....
    Down here in the Home Counties we find that the addition of a brown pair of Crocs when getting ready for
    Last edited by Velorum; 18th November 2017 at 21:35.

Master
    Icebreaker, Smartwool merino
    Paramo synthetic.

Check out some golfing gear like Galvin Green. They do some very effective stuff.

I have also got some fleece lined trousers, thus making long John unnecessary.

If you are really rich check out Sunspel

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    What fresh hell is this?
    I'm at a loss

Craftsman

Cool

For synthetic i use Under Armor

100% merino wool for rest. Hansen and Woolies 150

Alpkit?

I think they have some reasonably priced merino stuff

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    My current favourites :

Synthetic - helly hansen lifa
    Merino - janus or isobaa from sport pursuit
    I bought an Isobaa Merino base layer a couple of weeks ago from SportPursuit. I must say I'm happy with it.

Maybe my most comfy all around base layer is a merino wool mesh by Aclima. I also heartily recommend Devold. I have some that have been used hard for nearly a decade and still running as strong as a watch on SC.

For cheapo disposable synthetic layers I usually buy something in a hardware store sale, HellyHansen Workwear (which sucks btw) or similar. Cultural differences may apply.

It's icebreaker ll the way for me. Excellent heat retention, cool when it's warmer and very durable. A bit more expensive
    than some other brands, but when it comes to something like this, you get what you pay for

John

Blog Entries
    When on a RIB during the winter months (driving the RIB for the coach to instruct sailors) I relied on Helly Hansen and Craft for years. Merino wool is perfect but expensive. Last year I made the switch to products from a builders' wholesale warehouse.

EDIT: aha! I see that Mammoth has a UK branch as well! http://mammothworkwear.com/base-layer-underwear/

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    When on a RIB during the winter months (driving the RIB for the coach to instruct sailors) I relied on Helly Hansen and Craft for years. Merino wool is perfect but expensive. Last year I made the switch to products from a builders' wholesale warehouse.

EDIT: aha! I see that Mammoth has a UK branch as well! http://mammothworkwear.com/base-layer-underwear/

Menno
    I haven't tried their underwear, but Snickers and Blåkläder make top notch outer clothes for work. Far better than anything else I've used. Seems pretty expensive though.