closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Current realsitic value of 1991 GMT 16700 Pepsi.

Current realsitic value of 1991 GMT 16700 Pepsi.

Bad timing this, in light of the comments another whats it worth Rolex thread, but as I know little about the rise and fall of Rolex prices and this is being offered to me in leiu of monies owed and need to make sure it covers the amount owing as I also need to pay subcontractors out of my pocket.

I have looked on here and online, but cannot get a clear price idea.

Its an 1991 X serial GMT 16700 on an Oyster bracelet, inner and outer boxes, purchased from WOS in 94 ( new I am told ) comes with WOS receipt/warranty card, booklet, serial number hangtag, holographic hangtag, service receipt from 2012 for £434, when I think it had a replacement bezel insert, I have the slightly faded original.

I would say very good overall condition, with sign of use you would expect from a lightly used 26yro watch.

Please don't feel the need to leave flippant remarks, this is a genuine question for those knowledgable about current values.
    But for the sake of clarity yes I will be putting it up for sale if the consensus is that it will cover the debt. ( currently approx £5500 and rising)

Master
    See what watch finder will give you for it

As good a starting place as any

Grand Master
    Can`t answer your question, Keith, but I suggest a PM to Mike Wood or phone him at theoldwatchshop. Haywood Milton, the other obvious name that springs to mind.

These guys will give you an a qualified answer based on their working knowledge of the market, answers from others will merely be opinions.

Hope it works out OK, clearly you need to get this right hence my suggestion. The watch sounds like a good 'un if you like this sort of thing, so iot should sell OK provided someone has the money in their pocket to buy it. Admiring them's one thing, pulling the cash out of your pocket is another.

Paul.

Master
    If I was buying it I would be offering around £5k

Craftsman
    I d say 4.8-5k. Always preferred the quick set date on the 16700 over the 16710

If you have rising debt and an unneeded asset, it might be prudent to sell the asset with a view to significantly reducing the debt, regardless of whether it is covered in toto. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    If you have rising debt and an unneeded asset, it might be prudent to sell the asset with a view to significantly reducing the debt, regardless of whether it is covered in toto. Good luck.
    Agreed, I can offset some, but obviously would rather not at this stage.
    But I think that with the values advised here I can make it work OK.

Thanks for all the responses.

Craftsman
    Why take on the debtors risk, get them to run around and get what they can for the watch. Any delta to the £5500 is still money owed to you. Unless you are of course 100% confident of the watch’s provenance.

Best of luck.

Cheers
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Why take on the debtors risk, get them to run around and get what they can for the watch. Any delta to the £5500 is still money owed to you. Unless you are of course 100% confident of the watch’s provenance.

Best of luck.

Cheers
    Rory
    Its a friend/aqauintance and I am just trying to be accomodating at present, plus I am reasonably sure the situation is temporary.

Anyway, it means I also get to own a GMT for a short while at least, and I like to own watches that I have not done do before...albeit for a short while

Craftsman
    Fair play to you for doing what you can to help resolve the situation amicably for all parties - top man!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    See what watch finder will give you for it

As good a starting place as any
    I'd go this route, the you've got written evidence from a reliable source of it's saleable value, which you can share with the owner. Rather than 'a guy on a watch forum thinks its worth X', or 'I've seen them sell on eBay for X'.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I'd go this route, the you've got written evidence from a reliable source of it's saleable value, which you can share with the owner. Rather than 'a guy on a watch forum thinks its worth X', or 'I've seen them sell on eBay for X'.
    Not having dealt with them before, I would have thought watchfinders price is a trade price, a bit like webuyany car? then the watch is sold at retail value.
    Or do they give you an actual current market value price?

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Not having dealt with them before, I would have thought watchfinders price is a trade price, a bit like webuyany car? then the watch is sold at retail value.
    It's perhaps unkind to call them webuyanywatch but they're not far off.
    They will offer you a price that will have a profit in it for them when they sell it on at market value. It's what they do.

I'd buy that all day long for 5k for a complete set .

Looks a nice one too

I’m not an expert on these older models.
    Can you advise why that’s worth a good bit less than a 16710 Pepsi which seems to go for £6k plus from what I can see.

Is it the lack of original papers on this model? Or is the 16700 just worth less than a 16710?

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    They have paid more on a few watches that I've been offered on sales corner, if that helps. & they paid quickly with no fuss.
    It's just a matter of time...

Many thanks for all the replies, PMs and others.

A couple of collector aquaintances have also given me good advice etc, and value in regards to its condition etc.

I have agreed to take it, knowing its going to fall a little short at present, but not enough to cause any upset/difficulty and will ease any uncomfortableness.

Will take some better pics and pop it on SC.

Thanks again.

Two weeks ago I purchased a 1991 Full Set 16700 complete with Rolex service papers from the original owners.

I paid £6250, which was what Blowers offered for it.
    Last edited by Andyg; 19th November 2017 at 23:19.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche