closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Undecided. Stick or twist?

Banned

Undecided. Stick or twist?

I have wanted the smp300 for ages now. As I have said several times I can get it for £2150 approx. I have pondered for ages and looked at every watch under the sun. What stops me is the cost should I just slap it on my 0% credit card or will I regret it? I live month to month but I've always wanted it. Should I go cheap or go big!!!

Forget it mate. That's my advice
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    I see it as something to work for and something I can keep (hopefully) and something to be proud of.

For the love of god, please just buy something already.

Buy or don't buy. There is no try. Well it is Star Wars season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I see it as something to work for and something I can keep (hopefully) and something to be proud of.
    Obviously i don't know your circumstances but generally i would say buying shiny trinkets on credit is not a good idea

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Personally I wouldn't.
    Save and buy a good used one. You'd save yourself a massive chunk and wouldn't be saddled with unnecessary debt.

Too much danger of going off it before you've finished paying for it.

Master
    Mate , debt on cards is easy to build up but very hard to pay off.
    Save £125 a month for 15 months that will give you £1875 which is probably enough to start looking 2nd hand or mean just a further £500 on the card and by that time you’d have the minor debt virtually settled in a further 3 months. If you cannot afford to put by £125 my advice is leave well alone.

Banned
    Appreciate other watch buyers advice. When you have limited knowledge it puts me off used I don't know faults to
    Look for or what a good buy is. That's why new is safer but I see the point. I've been very tempted by some watches on sc like the oris etc but my knowledge is limited so I just think il buy new

Journeyman
    As already advised, buy pre owned, let someone else pay the ‘brand new’ premium?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    SC is a fairly safe marketplace.
    My advice would be put money aside, stick around and read/learn, and buy from here when the time is right.

Buy something that takes your fancy on SC. If it doesn't work out, someone else has already taken the hit on price and you can trade it for something similar.

If you're a bit uncertain, get some good advice via PM from someone with bags of experience, like Seikopath, someone who can say, yeah that's a good price, or mmm, you might get stuck with that.

Don't bring me into this. I'm retired.

Der Amf knows loads about watches. I don't. I'm just a forum tart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Mate , debt on cards is easy to build up but very hard to pay off.
    Save £125 a month for 15 months that will give you £1875 which is probably enough to start looking 2nd hand or mean just a further £500 on the card and by that time you’d have the minor debt virtually settled in a further 3 months. If you cannot afford to put by £125 my advice is leave well alone.
    At £2150, I’d be buying new at £125 a month for 17 months.

That said, if I had so many questions about a watch it would highlight to me that I’m not sure about spending that kind of money on one. If the prospect of losing £250 upon selling something you might like and enjoy is hard to reconcile, then step away from the shiny trinkets.
    It's just a matter of time...

I live month to month
    Don't do it. Hell, some wouldn't even buy a Seiko or a Casio...

For such a situation, honestly, I feel like such an expensive watch is an unnecessary luxury. Just my 2 eurocents.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Don't bring me into this. I'm retired.

Der Amf knows loads about watches. I don't. I'm just a forum tart.
    Very inexperienced in the buying and selling of things like Oris. Sixties Soviet dress watches, maybe.

I live month to month but I've always wanted it.
    With all due respect, I think you are on the wrong forum. Here’s some links for your perusal.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/index.php
    http://jlcollinsnh.com

You might even thank me some day.

Craftsman
    If you’re undecided, then you’re not sure. And if I was whacking 2k odd on a credit card, then I’d want to be sure...

It is not a decision you have to make because, to put it simply, you can't afford to buy a new watch.....the price is pretty much irrelevant. If you want to be proud of something then walk down into Warrington town centre and open a savings account......put in 100 a month for a year and then take it from there.......you will quite rightly feel that you have achieved something significant and have a healthy savings pot to show for your efforts. Good luck.

Banned
    Woody74 appreciate sensible advice. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    With all due respect, I think you are on the wrong forum. Here’s some links for your perusal.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/index.php
    http://jlcollinsnh.com

You might even thank me some day.
    Christ Ally, that's a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody74 View Post
    It is not a decision you have to make because, to put it simply, you can't afford to buy a new watch.....the price is pretty much irrelevant. If you want to be proud of something then walk down into Warrington town centre and open a savings account......put in 100 a month for a year and then take it from there.......you will quite rightly feel that you have achieved something significant and have a healthy savings pot to show for your efforts. Good luck.
    Aside from the OP’s particular circumstances, this is not something I would do if my plan was to buy a luxury watch. The UK is currently one of the cheapest markets - that may not be the case in 12 months time, and your £100 per month would only be £1200 plus a tiny bit of interest. I would hazard a guess that maybe, just maybe, the cost of purchasing the same thing would be even further out of reach.

The SMPc and Speedmaster Moon Watch are currently a bit of a bargain in the U.K. with the discounts available.

the difference is scott. you know what you want and the OP doesn't

If you've wanted it for ages and are disciplined enough to sort out the repayments, then go for it. They're only going to go up in price. Worse case scenario, you have to sell it and take a small hit.
    Last edited by Velvetsnow; 18th November 2017 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    the difference is scott. you know what you want and the OP doesn't
    Partially Dave, my buying has been all over the place this year. Next year I will be more disciplined.

Master
    It’s time to excrete or get off the pot.

It’s £2k....if you fancy it, buy it.
    If you don’t bond with it, sell it.

I fancied a Rolex Deepsea D-Blue and the AD called. I love the Watch but it’s big on my wrists and long term who knows if I’ll keep it. That was over £9k.

I wouldn’t keep over analysing it...

Good luck.

Banned
    Go into debt for something worthwhile, like a Patek, then you’ll get better quality sex and not look as common when you’re in the pawn shop after Christmas.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    It’s £2k....if you fancy it, buy it.
    If you don’t bond with it, sell it.

I fancied a Rolex Deepsea D-Blue and the AD called. I love the Watch but it’s big on my wrists and long term who knows if I’ll keep it. That was over £9k.

I wouldn’t keep over analysing it...

Good luck.
    Talking about 9K like it's chump change makes you sound like a prat. There is also a significant difference in loss of money which is likely if you need to flip a SM300 compared to a D-Blue, perhaps you are too wealthy to be bothered by such things.

Col81, don't buy it if it's going to put you under financial pressure. It could end up costing you a lot more than its original price in interest/fees if you can't manage the payments. There is no shame in not being able to afford something.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Go into debt for something worthwhile, like a Patek, then you’ll get better quality sex and not look as common when you’re in the pawn shop after Christmas.
    Ouch lol

Craftsman
    Good advice has been offered here. Getting it on a credit card would result in buyers remorse I think.
    Saving for it will make you appreciate it a lot more.

Everytime you get one of the new £5 or £10 notes, stick it in a jar. You will build up a nice watch fund in no time.

Craftsman
    Surely credit in itself is not an issue, as long as you can service it. The purchase is no less worthy because it’s been funded with credit, being savvy and keeping your costs as low as possible by taking advantage of a deals is important, in my opinion.

OP use the credit IF you have enough discipline to pay it off, which means chipping away at the credit card balance to ensure it’s paid off within the interest free period and being prepared to sell the watch if that’s the only way you can raise funds to ultimately clear the balance.

Cheers
    Rory

Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    Talking about 9K like it's chump change makes you sound like a prat.
    Gold standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post

Deja vu... http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ster-300M-blue

My advice, FWIW, is that there are plenty of nice watches for less than half the price of the SMP... especially if you consider used watches.

If you buy right you are unlikely to lose much.... so consider it as a stepping stone to the one you want.

Also - you may think the SMP is the be-all and end-all now.... but that will change (as soon as you own it). A (much older) 2531 SMP was my first foray into expensive watches. It took me a long while to save my cash for it, and I thought it was the bees knees when I got it. I wore it daily for a long time, and was very happy with it... but pretty much as soon as I got it, my sights were raised back to the horizon.

... I wanted a PO
    ... then a Grand Seiko diver caught my eye
    ... then a 6159-7001
    ... then a DSSD

My latest coveted watches are a D-Blue and a SBEX001, and those will be my last.... until I have them, of course, at which point I will want something else.

As many on here know, the hunt is at least half of the fun!

I swore I would never get rid of the 2531, but that's gone.. as is the DSSD... your tastes will change over time. Watch collecting is way more enjoyable if you aren't stretching yourself financially. I am lucky enough to have a few expensive pieces (I know, expensive is relative), but I get just as much enjoyment out of owning the Seiko PADI turtle I got recently for ~£300.
    Last edited by danmiddle2; 18th November 2017 at 11:11.

Fact is you've "wanted it for ages".

Fact two is - during that period you haven't saved towards it.

Not gonna happen sadly. Imho ofc.

Ive got an app called “Moneybox” backed by Greyfriars which is an online ISA but you can save a monthly amount and add tops ups either by way of round ups on purchases or monetary bonus top ups. Why not try that for a year and see where you up next Jan 2019 and then buy something? Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Ive got an app called “Moneybox” backed by Greyfriars which is an online ISA but you can save a monthly amount and add tops ups either by way of round ups on purchases or monetary bonus top ups. Why not try that for a year and see where you up next Jan 2019 and then buy something? Just a thought

Sorry to go off piste, but I tried Moneybox for about a year, and got really poor returns. How are you finding it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Surely credit in itself is not an issue, as long as you can service it. The purchase is no less worthy because it’s been funded with credit, being savvy and keeping your costs as low as possible by taking advantage of a deals is important, in my opinion.

OP use the credit IF you have enough discipline to pay it off, which means chipping away at the credit card balance to ensure it’s paid off within the interest free period and being prepared to sell the watch if that’s the only way you can raise funds to ultimately clear the balance.

Cheers
    Rory
    I’d go along with this.

I’m disciplined enough to work out what my budget can be, look at the 0% offers either in store or with a credit card company and buy the watches that I want.

The challenge is not doing another deal whilst the previous one is still running.

The other thing I do is take on a new credit card with a long balance transfer deal or purchase deal. Then cancel a previous card which has no deal against it. So you don’t end up with half a dozen cards with a potential £60k total available credit

Craftsman
    Ah the old ‘buy a Patek and get high grade fluff’ theory. Proven out in the field over and over again....

Master
    The thrill of purchase fades far more quickly than the debt is repaid. If the watch is a keeper and one to love and wear for a long time it's perhaps a good way, but in many cases the enjoyment passes quickly leaving the debt to be paid (and a potential loss on selling it on).

It's totally horses for courses - depends how each person is with debt, how the acquisition is to them etc., but if it were me I'd do what was suggested earlier and stick any 5 or 10 pound note into a jar. The money will rack up - it will take some time, but no debt, and the purchase will feel very worthwhile. Also allows going for a secondhand one on here, which saves a bit of money / minimises future loss.

But 'depends' I think is the answer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    Ah the old ‘buy a Patek and get high grade fluff’ theory. Proven out in the field over and over again....

Who said it was theory?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Gold standard.
    Well sometimes life is too short to over analyse everything.

If you fancy getting something and it’s not going to cost you a massive loss if you change your mind, go for it.

The Omega for £2k will not mean a significant loss if he doesn’t bond with it.

That’s what I mean.

I would be very careful over stretching your finances. Even if you can just make the monthly payments you never know when you are going to need to pay out a load for a car repair, a new washing machine etc etc. Watches are nice things but not if causes you undue stress worrying about the repayments. But at the end of the day it's up to you. Hope it works out whatever you decide!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Who said it was theory?
    Afraid in my experience, fluff that is most likely to go over can’t tell the difference between a Patek and a Casio... Or perhaps I’m targeting the wrong end of the market?!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    Afraid in my experience, fluff that is most likely to go over can’t tell the difference between a Patek and a Casio... Or perhaps I’m targeting the wrong end of the market?!

Rinsing is all part of the plan de la fluff. She spends all her free time researching what the wealthy is attired in. So yes, you’re thinking more hen party than Marbella beach party.

I would have thought wearing a Patek would mean you'd be more likely to be approached by socially inept middle-aged horologists smelling of Hai Karate and desperation.

Or elderly gold-diggers intent on surfing a wave of cash until heart attack or indebtedness causes them to dump their Patek-owning partner and search for a new victim.

I certainly agree with everyone saying don't put this on credit card. However, just want to throw out another option. I wanted to get my first real luxury watch to wear on my wedding day, but at the time I couldn't afford the price tag (Speedy Pro). As such, I actually just went to a high street jeweller who offered 4 years interest free credit. Bought the watch and paid for it over 4 years, and didn't accrue any interest. In fact, I was looking at the second hand prices the other day and realised that if I sold the watch, I would actually have made more money (due to price increases over the last few years) than I would if I had stuck the money I spent in a high interest account!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I would have thought wearing a Patek would mean you'd be more likely to be approached by socially inept middle-aged horologists smelling of Hai Karate and desperation.

Or elderly gold-diggers intent on surfing a wave of cash until heart attack or indebtedness causes them to dump their Patek-owning partner and search for a new victim.
    The Patek is worthless, as never sold, only passed on to the next generation, it’s the fact you’ve splashed out so much on a watch. Rolex and it's fake, Seiko and you’re crap in bed. Life lessons available by subscription. PM me.

As for horologists, they ignore you because they’re jealous.

I bought my first Rolex on credit. I’m glad I did. I wore it almost every day for 5 years, had it serviced and sold it for a fair bit ore than it cost plus the service.

Some people have little understanding of debt. They are happy paying higher interest for a mortgage, or a new kitchen/extension, but suggest 0% finance on a watch and they want to burn you as a heretic!

A little over £2k for a new ceramic SMPc is bloody good value. They were selling, if you were lucky, for around £1700 well used, and £1800-£1850 If like new with most of the warranty left, before the last price rise! Servicing the debt, or changing your mind and cashing it in are not going to cause anyone but the financially inept a problem.

This thread has caused me to buy another bloody Omega - probably a phantom sympathy purchase. With all this talk about buying a watch someone had to bloody well buy one, didn’t they!?

I know a few people who over the last 5 or so years were saving up for a Rolex at one stage or another, but were caught out by the price rises - only one of them has a Rolex now, and they bought it off me used and far too cheap :(