closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a seadweller 16600 owner help me in obtaining a 2100 screwdriver from St James?

Craftsman

Can a seadweller 16600 owner help me in obtaining a 2100 screwdriver from St James?

Hi Gents.

I had one of these but lost it whilst moving and I’m after another one. There’s some on eBay but the price is extortionate. Rolex charges £21, but only if you present the SD 16600, which I don’t have.

If someone can help out in obtaining one I’d be grateful. I will of course compensate you for your time.

How about lunch or dinner on me? Or a drink? Coffee? Or cash? Prettttttyyy pleassssse

Can you not just provide a serial number?
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Can you not just provide a serial number?
    Unfortunately no. The lady at at James said they would only sell one if a SD16600 is presented.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nasar.39 View Post
    Unfortunately no. The lady at at James said they would only sell one if a SD16600 is presented.
    Try asking the technicians. I had my SDc4k in for regulation and after a chat with the technician on pick up he sold me the screwdriver (initially said no, but then after a chat he conceded and also threw in an extra service pouch).

You can have mine for £50? (Not serious)

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Try asking the technicians. I had my SDc4k in for regulation and after a chat with the technician on pick up he sold me the screwdriver (initially said no, but then after a chat he conceded and also threw in an extra service pouch).

You can have mine for £50? (Not serious)

M
    I tried martyn! She wanted to sell me one but said she doesn’t want to go against policy. It was her idea to get someone with an SD to buy one for me.

Why do you want it w/o watch - just it’s a good screwdriver?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why do you want it w/o watch - just it’s a good screwdriver?
    Yes that’s exactly the reason. I’ve spent so much on screwdrivers I could have bought 5 2100’s.

You can’t beat the 2100’s build quality and precision fit.

Here’s my panerai screwdriver after attempting to resize the bracelet on my new watch so that’s another £30-40 to replace it

Thats not a fair swap is it ;)

Yes that’s exactly the reason. I’ve spent so much on screwdrivers I could have bought 5 2100’s.

You can’t beat the 2100’s build quality and precision fit.

Here’s my panerai screwdriver after attempting to resize the bracelet on my new watch so that’s another £30-40 to replace it
    Or free with a friendly AD when you take it in and complain.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Or free with a friendly AD when you take it in and complain.
    I may just attempt that.

Master
    And here's me happily resizing my rolex bracelets with a screwdriver from a £3 watch repair kit

Master
    I think I’ve a few.

Would you consider £25 to the forum fundraiser a fair price?

Haywood

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    And here's me happily resizing my rolex bracelets with a screwdriver from a £3 watch repair kit
    It’s does work and I’ve done it plenty of times as well. But there’s always more chance of damage or scratches as I’ve only ever slipped and scratch the bracelet when using any of these screwdrivers.

I’ve found that the closest precision fit is the panerai screwdriver, but after today’s attempt I’d rather just get another Rolex 2100 which I used for years without any issue whatsoever

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can’t beat a good quality screwdriver,in the end it’s saves you time and money.
    once you have used a snap on which fits exact and doesn’t round of the head you won’t use anything else.
    Or buy snap on bits and use them in a lesser body.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    I think I’ve a few.

Would you consider £25 to the forum fundraiser a fair price?

Haywood
    ....and I’ve now received your pm in response to the above, thankyou.

If you send me a further pm containing the name and address to which you would like it sent, I will get onto it at the start of next week. Quite happy to trust your donation to the fundraiser will follow upon receipt.

Haywood

Awesome 😎

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    ....and I’ve now received your pm in response to the above, thankyou.

If you send me a further pm containing the name and address to which you would like it sent, I will get onto it at the start of next week. Quite happy to trust your donation to the fundraiser will follow upon receipt.

Haywood
    Thanks again Haywood for your kind gesture. I will pm you details and as mentioned in the pm, I will make a donation tomorrow afternoon.

Kind regards

Master
    Thanks again Haywood for your kind gesture. I will pm you details and as mentioned in the pm, I will make a donation tomorrow afternoon.

Kind regards
    Roger that, but please wait until I’ve actually got the screwdriver to you - humour me.

Thanks, H

Master
    St James sell these for £13.79

You have to take your SeaDweller in. They then produce an invoice against the serial number. I believe the following models qualify:

They wouldn’t sell me one for my SD43!

Best thread for ages. Well done Haywood.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    St James sell these for £13.79

You have to take your SeaDweller in. They then produce an invoice against the serial number. I believe the following models qualify:

They wouldn’t sell me one for my SD43!

I ordered one from my AD

Andy

I've used the Rolex 2100 screwdriver for years. It's head is a precision fit for the Rolex bracelet screws. Any other screwdriver and you run the risk of damaging the screw heads like so many used Rolex seem to have.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I've used the Rolex 2100 screwdriver for years. It's head is a precision fit for the Rolex bracelet screws. Any other screwdriver and you run the risk of damaging the screw heads like so many used Rolex seem to have.
    Disagree. Buy a good quality screwdriver that’s the correct width. If the blade’s too thin it can be widened by carefully dressing with a stone or a flat diamond file. A perfect fit can this be achieved.

Removing Rolex bracelet screws shouldn’t need a lot of force, if the screws are tight use a gas flame to soften the locking compound.........it ain’t rocket science and it doesn’t require a special screwdriver! Remember to heat the right end......think whete the threads are!

Finally, use a magnifier when doing the job, it’s a whole lot easier when you can see what you’re doing.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Disagree. Buy a good quality screwdriver that’s the correct width. If the blade’s too thin it can be widened by carefully dressing with a stone or a flat diamond file. A perfect fit can this be achieved.

Removing Rolex bracelet screws shouldn’t need a lot of force, if the screws are tight use a gas flame to soften the locking compound.........it ain’t rocket science and it doesn’t require a special screwdriver! Remember to heat the right end......think whete the threads are!

Finally, use a magnifier when doing the job, it’s a whole lot easier when you can see what you’re doing.

Paul
    Paul,

This may well be the case for yourself but imo using a purpose built screwdriver for the job it was intended for has to be easier than finding a screwdriver that may or may not fit and therefore may or may not cause damage to screw heads. Personally, I would use any screwdriver on a non Rolex as I don't own any expensive watches bar my small Rolex collection. But, on my Rolex I will only use the 2100 as it's impossible to damage the screw heads as the screwdriver tip fits perfectly in the Rolex screws. I have seen the damage caused by using generic screwdrivers on Rolex bracelet screws. Ask me how I know....

Can a seadweller 16600 owner help me in obtaining a 2100 screwdriver from St James?

If it’s so good, why isn’t it provided with other models?
    Are all Rolex screws the same?

I believe a 1.6mm - 1.88 hollow ground screwdriver is what is needed for rolex screws. Using a screwdriver shaped like the one on the right is what will cause potential damage.

Yes, I think a genuine Rolex screwdriver wins every time, but next best is a hollow ground tip.

]

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I believe a 1.6mm - 1.88 hollow ground screwdriver is what is needed for rolex screws. Using a screwdriver shaped like the one on the right is what will cause potential damage.

Yes, I think a genuine Rolex screwdriver wins every time, but next best is a hollow ground tip.

]
    Hollow-ground screwdrivers are the best, no question about that, and they can be bought from Cousins. However, I use conventional screwdrivers and dress the ends slightly to get a fatter blade if required. I replace blades often on my screwdrivers, a pack of 10 costs around £5. Provided the blade is in good condition and is being used correctly it shouldn’t slip. If the screws are tight it’s almost certainly due to loctite on the threads, and a touch of heat will soften it and make the job far easier.

I hate to see damaged screws and scratches on the edges of links.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    If it’s so good, why isn’t it provided with other models?
    Are all Rolex screws the same?
    I believe the answer to be that Rolex supplied the screwdriver on the seadweller model to allow for home adjustment/removal of the divers extension clasp. On other models I presume they would prefer you visited an AD to make any bracelet adjustments. I doubt once a watch is sized, many people need to add/remove links whilst the seadweller is considered a tool watch and as such you may need the divers extension on one week for diving and maybe you prefer it not on the watch if wearing the watch when not diving as I believe the watch wears more comfortable without the divers extension in place.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    If the screws are tight it’s almost certainly due to loctite on the threads, and a touch of heat will soften it and make the job far easier.
    Paul, I've seen you post on this and I understand using a flame or soldering iron to soften loctite. Would boiling water be hot enough? I'm thinking it's safer on a metal bracelet for the hamfisted/inexperienced like me.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Paul, I've seen you post on this and I understand using a flame or soldering iron to soften loctite. Would boiling water be hot enough? I'm thinking it's safer on a metal bracelet for the hamfisted/inexperienced like me.
    I've used a hairdryer to good effect

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Why use hot water and a SD screwdriver when you can use a filed and modified generic screwdriver and a flame thrower though?

(Yes boiling water is fine. Or boiled that's been left in a mug for a few minutes, just dunk the links in and hold them there for 30 secs or so)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Why use hot water and a SD screwdriver when you can use a filed and modified generic screwdriver and a flame thrower though?

(Yes boiling water is fine. Or boiled that's been left in a mug for a few minutes, just dunk the links in and hold them there for 30 secs or so)
    You're at it again aren`t you with your sarcasm.....lowest form of wit in my view. Have a pop at me by all means but please don`t insult my skill level without good cause to do so.

A brief flash over a sharp gas flame is far quicker and more effective than fannying around with boiling water, I don`t make this up I actually DO these things!

Modifying a screwdriver blade to do a specific job is bread and butter work to a watch repairer, to me it's far easier to do this than pay a lot for a Rolex screwdriver. When the modified blade deteriorates or chips simply bin it and modify another. OK, it's easy for me because I`ve got the tools and experience to do so, but I`m sure others could do the same.

As ever, I try to offer sound practical advice based on my own experience; by the same token I`m always willing to learn from others provided they're speaking from experience rather than regurgitating what they've read.

No way would I advocate heating a bracelet to a high temperature, that would cause the metal to discolour. Again, I`ve got experience of this when trying to get pendant tubes out, sometimes it's necessary. A brief couple of seconds in a sharp flame at the end where the threads are located will help a lot.

Are people averse to using flames thesedays?..........I sometimes wonder.

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You do seem to be remarkably skilled in telling people who are interested in the 2100 that they need to do what you do and buy something from cousins, treat it, and take a flame to their bracelets rather than using the 2100 and a mug of hot water.

You also seem to be missing the fact that when telling people how it should be done according to you that you're over complicating a brutally simple task for the sake of displaying.

You're not the only person around here who knows their way around adding or removing links and the hands down easiest and safest way of doing it for the inexperienced/nervous is with the screwdriver designed specifically for the task, that minimises the slip and chip risk. Without wanting to upset your expertise further, most people in the first world have access to a kettle and a mug in order to warm links and loosen threadlock.
    They don't necessarily have access to a controllable gas flame or the confidence to wave a bracelet link over one.

It's all very well airing your skills, but not at the expense of the less experienced potentially damaging things they care about.
    I don't care if that insults you or not.

Master
    A nice gentle waft of the link over a low set flame on the ring of a gas cooker works for loctite.

Master
    Boiling water works, as does a hot plate.

Thanks for all the advice and help. I'm wary of a flame only because I know it can discolour the steel irreversibly. I've got some hollow ground screwdrivers and if I don't have one that is a perfect fit I'll modify one or happily give up and take it to a jeweller.

Edit to add:

Well a jug of boiled water definitely worked for me, and I was very glad I checked and found the right shape and size of screwdriver - not one slip with those fiddly little screws. Job done, and will allow me to wear a very special watch (to me) to a special occasion in a few weeks time. Thanks again all.
    Last edited by alfat33; 19th November 2017 at 12:46.

Kind regards
    And yet your name remains conspicuously absent from the register...

Villain thread?

Master
    Lower your weapons, gents . . . it would be lovely to hear that Royal Mail have simply delivered it late, since apparently not yet.

Haywood is a top bloke and doesn't want paid, it isn't too much to ask to donate to charity ?

The gent did same with me when i needed an outer carton and ken kindly picked it up and sent it to me . Said Al don't pay me put a few quid in charity kitty

Takes literally 2 mins PayPal via my phone to do .

Not trying to stir the pot, but I would have paid when the offer was made, not when I got the goods.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Not trying to stir the pot, but I would have paid when the offer was made, not when I got the goods.
    Actually that’s exactly what I was intending to do and if you look at post #18 I was told not to pay until it was received.

Anyway, looks like everyone is getting their pitchforks ready, as has become the norm on this forum.

The screwdriver hasn’t turned up. It’s not haywoods fault, who was a gent to offer it in the first place and even refused my offer of paying for postage. It certainly isn’t my fault for not receiving it, and I certainly won’t be thought of as a villain over a screwdriver and a donation.

Wether it turns up after nearly two weeks is doubtful but I’d like to say, to those that are thinking about some sort of sinister plot to get a free screwdriver I’ll make the donation anyway so make sure you keep a look out.

Sorry, I didn’t notice that, my apologies.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    I need to set something right.

Earlier today I complained elsewhere about the screwdriver not having arrived.

This is one of the busiest times of the year for Royal Mail and even if not slow there is always the separate, genuine risk of loss in transit.

Despite these two real possibilities, by complaining I effectively invited others to draw conclusions as they have. My doing so has troubled me through the rest of the day and I cannot be happy with any other conclusion than that I owe it to Nasar and to them that I correct this. There is every chance that he genuinely hasn’t received the screwdriver and in hindsight it was quite wrong of me to raise the matter, knowing how it would be perceived. I am sorry for exposing you to that Nasar and indeed would like to apologise to those other members whose indignation was aroused by my complaint.

I propose to wait another week, but then send another screwdriver if the original still hasn’t arrived.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 2nd December 2017 at 02:04.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think I will contact the AD I bought my GMT11 from I'm sure he won't Say no to such a tool.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice tool, now I want one....
    My "Y"serial doesn't have the tool kit, just a green leather folder for papers. Are there some serials or markets that didn't get the screwdriver?

Quote Originally Posted by rusty427 View Post
    Nice tool, now I want one....
    My "Y"serial doesn't have the tool kit, just a green leather folder for papers. Are there some serials or markets that didn't get the screwdriver?
    Your watch would have had the toolkit.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    I think I will contact the AD I bought my GMT11 from I'm sure he won't Say no to such a tool.
    I think it's been said you can only buy one now if you can prove you own a Sea Dweller that originally came with one. My AD said there had been a clamp down when they started getting bulk orders!
    Last edited by David_D; 4th December 2017 at 17:41. Reason: typo

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I think it's been said you can only buy one now if you can prive you own a Sea Dweller that originally came with one. My AD said there had been a clamp down when they started getting bulk orders!
    This is my experience as well. I broke the tip off mine and tried to ordered one from Goldsmiths. If I wanted the whole tool I needed to bring in the watch so they could check the serial number. Fortunately they could just order a replacement tip.

Sent from my SM-G935F using TZ-UK mobile app