closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How much do you know about...

How much do you know about...

...your own watches?

Over the next few months I'm going to make an attempt at bringing by collection down to 10 watches from the 18 I have now, partly because there's little point (for me) in owning watches I simply don't wear any more and partly because I really should be able to get by with 10! I may sell a few to replace with others, I may keep a few that I already have, however 10 in total is my goal. This isn't a thread about the merits, trials and tribulations of condensing a collection, though.

I've been taking a quick look at what I have today and have made an attempt a drawing up a first draft of what will definitely stay, what will go and what I might swap for something else - it's not particularly decisive as yet however it is a start. During this process it has dawned on me how relatively little I know about my own watches.

Column wheel chrono or cam? Luminova C1 or C3? What's the ETA movement model number and what grade is it? What modifications did the brand make to the movement? Is it running fast or slow, and by how much? Power reserve? Brand history? What was the name of that polishing technique GS uses? And so on.

Don't get me wrong, my use of the phrase "relatively little" is relative in itself. I could still bore the whatsits off of anyone prepared to listen to a watch box warble and I could answer many of the questions I posed above however I feel that I really should know more, especially considering I own them! I can be little geek-like by nature, it almost feels like I'm letting myself down

So, how much do you know about your own watches?

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post

So, how much do you know about your own watches?
    Everything worth knowing.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Well judging by what you’ve said, very little. In my defence I don’t feel the need to know a great deal really, the most important criteria is if I like it, I do prefer mechanical over quartz, but I have a few of them just because I like them.
    Will be interested to see how this thread develops.

It's a good point.

I guess I could answer as Neil.C has, because that's a subjective measurement, but actually, reading your post, very little about some!

Some I did research pretty extensively, especially my Breitling Cosmonaute, but I'm a bit of an impulse buyer, buying watches as much on their appearance as anything else. If I like the style, I might well buy one!

I've certainly learnt a lot about watches over my years on here, but I'm not sure I could answer all the questions that the OP raised about half my watches!

M