closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Replacing MacBook Air battery and reformatting the drive - Idiot’s Guide?

Replacing MacBook Air battery and reformatting the drive - Idiot’s Guide?

Two jobs I need to do but don’t want to simply trust a YouTube video, so does anyone have a link to one they trust? FYI I’d need to use a USB drive as I don’t have a disc drive for the Mac disk.

And a recommendation for places to buy a battery rather than Apple would be good too.

Thanks
    Last edited by OldHooky; 17th November 2017 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Two jobs I need to do but don’t want to simply trust a YouTube video, so does anyone have a link to one they trust? FYI I’d need to use a USB drive as I don’t have a disc drive for the Mac disk.

And a recommendation for places to buy a battery rather than Apple would be good too.

Thanks
    Process will vary. It depends if you want to securely erase the drive (i.e. for reselling) or just re-install to factory condition

It's from mid-2011 and is slowing down as well as having, I suspect, spyware from the various countries I've taken the laptop to, so whichever option clears it the most is the one I'd prefer.

It’s probably worth upgrading the RAM and changing the HD to an SSD whilst you’re at it.

Edited: Apologies, just re-read the Air bit (rather than a Pro) so that might not actually be an option for you. It’s worth it if it is, though.

Master
    Its quite easy on the hdd formatting. Apple will tell you how to do it on their website. You can format to a variety of security levels. I generally zero the drive if I’m passing on the machine.

Spyware I doubt you havevanything to worry about. I run clamxv once in a blue moon but its never found anything.

Clearing your cache occasionally is probably good enough on a mac and not installng random apps from pop ups.

The battery might be trickier. Apple may do it for a fee , otherwise there are kits you can buy. On the unibody machines its not for the faint hearted.

Master
    I replaced the battery on my 2011 MacBook Air recently. It’s very straightforward - had some encouragement and advice on here, watched a few videos on Youtube, bought the appropriate screwdrivers, no trouble at all. Decent quality screwdrivers essential - I found the screws to be quite tight and a poorly fitting tool would have struggled.

I bought my replacement battery here:

https://www.thebookyard.com

I went for Newertech. Fit is perfect and function is as good as the original.

If your machine has a hard drive I second the suggestion to replace it with a SSD while you are at it.