closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Limiting watch magnetisation whilst travelling?

Limiting watch magnetisation whilst travelling?

Afternoon all,

I had no idea that scanners used in airports etc. can cause watches to become magnetised thus potentially messing with timekeeping etc. so is there a way to minimise the degree of magnetisation when travelling?

The separate non-scanned trays for metallic items that you get next to luggage scanners and metal detector arches seem to be getting fewer in number when I travel, so is there a way of limiting one's watch's exposure to magnetisation, or just get it demagnetised more often by a watchmaker?

Hugh

Master
    I havn't flown in a decade so can't comment on that side of things, but you could just buy a cheap demagnetizer off ebay instead of paying a watchmaker every time. Many seem to use them very successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I havn't flown in a decade so can't comment on that side of things, but you could just buy a cheap demagnetizer off ebay instead of paying a watchmaker every time. Many seem to use them very successfully.
    Oh really? I have one of those for small bits of hardware...I'll see if my watches can fit through!

Craftsman
    any recommendations on de-magnitizers?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    any recommendations on de-magnitizers?
    eBay ones for <£10 work fine.

Grand Master
    Has it ever been established conclusively that airport scanners etc are causing watches to become magnetised?.....or is this yet another internet factoid.

Paul

Craftsman
    I go through at least half a dozen scanners per month wearing a watch and I've never found an issue with magnetisation

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Has it ever been established conclusively that airport scanners etc are causing watches to become magnetised?.....or is this yet another internet factoid.

Paul
    This is as a result of me following on from a thread earlier today about magnetisation, and I've seen it posted multiple times. But you are entirely correct in that I have nor have seen no evidence to support it.

Grand Master
    I`m not aware that the airport machines can cause a problem but I can`t state that conclusively.

I can`t claim to understand why modern watches seem to get magnetised thesedays, but it does happen.

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheapy eBay ones.
    I don't think I've ever had a watch magnetized by an airport scanner. But I keep them on rather than putting into luggage.

Craftsman

Limiting watch magnetisation whilst travelling?

As part of my job I have spent many many hours loitering around airport security scanners. Never seen any change to timekeeping of any watches I’ve owned. In my opinion the theory is b*llocks.

I have all my secret items secreted in a lead lined case in hand luggage. Seems to work so far ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Does going through airport scanners magnetise watches?

Never happen to me, I think it’s nonsense

I go through airport security numerous times a week. I’ve been doing this for over 10 years.

I’m pleased to say that my watches are all fit and well....

Master
    My recently bought from sc mm300 arrived gaining two minutes plus a day. The very trusted forum member who sold it to me definitely did not send it out like that.
    My £5 demagnetiser had it down to plus a second or two a day for a minutes work including unboxing and reboxing the demagnetiser.
    The watch was posted from the Caribbean, and was held up in customs for a few days also. Something happened to magnetise it on that journey.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Evanssprky; 18th November 2017 at 00:16.

Craftsman
    Are we taking about those red blocks with 2 holes?

Master
    Mines a blue block with red button. No holes. Very cheap and effective.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I have all my secret items secreted in a lead lined case in hand luggage. Seems to work so far ;)
    Lead will have no effect on magnetic field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Lead will have no effect on magnetic field.
    It helps with the airport scanner though ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

I think that a walk through metal detector has a magnetic flux density of around 4 gauss, compared to 20-50 gauss of a fridge magnet. There are motors in the conveyor mechanism of an airport X-ray detector that produce a magnetic field but in practice you stand a far greater chance of magnetising your watch by putting it into your bag next to a portable speaker or the magnetic clasp of a tablet computer cover.