closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bugger - broke my iPhone screen

Master

Bugger - broke my iPhone screen

Bloody iPhone dropped out of my jacket pocket as I bent down to pick something up and the screen is broken.

Its a 6s and I'd like to get it fixed. Don't want to pay Apple prices for it so where else is a good place to take it? I know that Timpsons offer a repair service - anyone used them?

Also, is this one of the models where the home button or fingerprint ID stops working if you use the wrong screen /non-Apple parts?

One more thing - there are now 2 small yellow/brown spots in the bottom left-hand side of the screen - just above the black frame - in my case where the Phone icon is. Will I have caused more damage than just the screen or is this likely to be part of the screen breaking? It must have landed on its edge as the screen is mainly cracked just above the home button and the headphone port.

Really annoyed with myself for not doing the pocket up - can't imagine how often I've told the kids to do exactly that! Humble pie will be served tonight for sure.

Master
    I've done it twice now. Broke it once, got Apple to repair and brought loads of cases to make sure I didn't break it again. Forgot the case, promptly dropped it and smashed the bugger again.

Timpsons and CPW offer repairs but they are only £5-10 cheaper than apple and take longer. Depends what your priorities are.

About the repair, impossible to tell until they take the screen off.

Master
    Here's a quick pic of the damage - you can see the yellow/brown marks on the side.

Apple charge £156.44 to repair the screen. Currys charge £139.

Craftsman
    You must have a mobile phone shop owned by an ethnic minority nearby, every town seems to have plenty !!! My daughters (12 and 14) break their iPhone 6 screens every now and again, I take them to one of the shops mentioned above and usually cost around £70 - £80, usually turned around in about an hour as well.

Ismash are good, have done my wife's 6 and I'm a robably hoing to use them for my 6+.

Master
    Thanks.

There are a couple of shops locally but I've not had a good experience with them in the past so I'm not going there this time.

Had a quick chat with Timpsons and they replace the screen and the digitiser(?) as well - seems as if the latter is the part that is likely to be causing the yellow spots so a simple screen replacement won't suffice. Also, if I'm spending that much I'd rather spend a few more £ and get genuine parts used.

If your phone is still under Apple warranty and you get it repaired by anyone other than Apple you will invalidate your warranty.

Loads of places to get repairs but the quality varies, a good local person if they offer a decent warranty on their work. But if you want to trade the phone in.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Ismash are good, have done my wife's 6 and I'm a robably hoing to use them for my 6+.
    Easy for you to say.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Easy for you to say.
    😂😂 that's my cracked screen/auto correct for you!

I broke the screen on my previous iPhone which was out of warranty and they repaired free of charge.
    I’d recommend going to Apple store for above reason and, if they do charge you and anything went wrong, they’d sort it for you without any hassle.

I've only ever seen bad things as a result of getting a random street stall/shop/micro-desk in a bigger shop to do a screen repair, not necessarily immediately, but over time with warping and water ingress from incorrectly-installed screens etc.

Going back to Apple seems to be the best bet, BUT I've no experience of iSmash and the bigger companies out there who do this, only those on the street who offer the lowest prices and the fastest turnarounds.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I've only ever seen bad things as a result of getting a random street stall/shop/micro-desk in a bigger shop to do a screen repair, not necessarily immediately, but over time with warping and water ingress from incorrectly-installed screens etc.

Going back to Apple seems to be the best bet, BUT I've no experience of iSmash and the bigger companies out there who do this, only those on the street who offer the lowest prices and the fastest turnarounds.
    I agree. The difference between Apple and people like iSmash is whether they use genuine Apple parts or not.

Sorry to crash in on the thread, but it seems appropriate... What is a decent heavy duty iPhone case?

I have looking on t’bay and amazon but loads have mixed reviews that are hard to trust.

I just got IPhone SE and don’t fancy wrecking it..

Thanks

Master
    I've done quite a few if these for friends- pretty simple if you follow the guides the £20 screens do the trick - you'll need to remove an reuse the home button to retain thetouch I'd etc
    The yelling wing is just the screen bleeding
    Never had any issues with any I've fitted
    Last edited by lewie; 17th November 2017 at 21:26.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I agree. The difference between Apple and people like iSmash is whether they use genuine Apple parts or not.
    Son had his Ipad digitizer changed by a phone shop. Cost £80 , hair under the screen , kept getting errors on typing. In the end it drove him nuts and he stopped using it and bought a new one.

Sorry but if and when I drop one of my devices its suck it up and going into the fruit store.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Sorry to crash in on the thread, but it seems appropriate... What is a decent heavy duty iPhone case?

I have looking on t’bay and amazon but loads have mixed reviews that are hard to trust.

Thanks

Speck, mines been down a flight of stairs before!

Master
    If you try the Apple store with a bit of a sob story is far from unknown that they've replaced damaged handsets completely free of charge. Could be worth a shot.

In Leeds I use someone called ipatch, they use apple parts and do a great job. Cost a bit more but the typical market pone shops in my experience are absolute cowboys

Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    Speck, mines been down a flight of stairs before!
    Thanks Steve, will check them out ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I've done quite a few if these for friends- pretty simple if you follow the guides the £20 screens do the trick - you'll need to remove an reuse the home button to retain thetouch I'd etc
    ^^^ this ^^^

If your a fairly hands on person, replacing the screen yourself will save you a fortune. The online kits comes with all the tools and comprehensive instructions.

Thanks
    I had my 6 in a Spigen Tough Armour for 2.5yrs, and my new 7+ is in one now as well, along with their toughened glass screen. I got the wife and daughter a 6s each and put toughened glass screens on from Home Bargains, cheap and very good quality. Otterbox also do good cases, for me the Spigen look better.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    For cases look at rhinoshield they’re slim enough to not add any major bulk etc but definitely tough I found them by looking at reviews etc online because some of the cases i’d bought just weren’t up to the job.

Thanks
    I have used Snugg and Proporta 'leather' folio cases with a screen protector and so far have survived dropping the phone on numerous occasions and my two small children using the phone as a toy. I would not class as heavy duty but they cases certainly have protected my phone from damage [touch wood].

Master

Thanks
    I use a Tech 21 case on mine. Bought it for my iPhone 5S a couple of years ago and now use it on my SE.

It seems a good strong case and is reinforced at potential impact sites.

Craftsman
    I wouldn’t touch Timpsons with someone else’s barge pole.

If the price difference is £10~£20, go with Apple. They’ll guarantee it and more importantly honor that guarantee if problems occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    I wouldn’t touch Timpsons with someone else’s barge pole.

If the price difference is £10~£20, go with Apple. They’ll guarantee it and more importantly honor that guarantee if problems occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I think the difference is about £20 and for that I will go and see the guys at Apple and get genuine parts fitted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    I have done this for my daughter and agree that it's not that difficult, providing you are reasonably adept at practical things. Consequently, I would either do it myself or bring it to Apple. There's no way that I would bring it to a random independent repair shop.

Managed to smash the corner glass of my S8 last week.

Went to iSmash for a quote.

£240!

Ridiculous. I'm living with it at the moment.

Need to find somewhere cheaper as I could probably pick up a spare S7 for not much more.

Master
    I got mine done by Apple in the end. When they replaced the display, they also replaced the home button and checked the rest of the phone out to make sure it was working ok. So for a little more money I think it was worth it.

Not sure what the options are on Samsung phones.