closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW S1000RR

Banned
    Blog Entries

BMW S1000RR

Are they too much for the road? I have a Scrambler X for local blasts, but fancy a sports bike too. Or, as a halfway house, the new Kawa H2 SX, but it seems a bit bloated. Thoughts welcome.

Let's be honest, all the top flight sports bikes are too silly for the road...100mph in first gear!!

But, we love them for what they are and what they're capable of, and of course they're works of art too. Btw, that reminds me, when are you selling me that scrambler x?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Let's be honest, all the top flight sports bikes are too silly for the road...100mph in first gear!!

But, we love them for what they are and what they're capable of, and of course they're works of art too. Btw, that reminds me, when are you selling me that scrambler x?
    NFS.😉

I love the S1000RR, but they are a bit small for my frame and I ride round the outside of 99% of all the latest sports bike every summer on either the GS or R1200S ;)

I think any sports bike you feel comfortable on would be enough - I doubt any of the bikes have much of a true advantage off the racetrack, as most owners are fast in a straight line (and they all accelerate very quickly these days) but can’t go round corners.
    It's just a matter of time...

I can't afford it but I still want it! If it's not for sale I want it more, that's how it works isn't it?

Have to wait a couple of years till they drop a bit and then I'll have to do a replica.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I love the S1000RR, but they are a bit small for my frame and I ride round the outside of 99% of all the latest sports bike every summer on either the GS or R1200S ;)

I think any sports bike you feel comfortable on would be enough - I doubt any of the bikes have much of a true advantage off the racetrack, as most owners are fast in a straight line (and they all accelerate very quickly these days) but can’t go round corners.
    Scott, I agree. I need to find the most comfortable for my smallish (5’ 9”) frame.

I love the S1000RR, but they are a bit small for my frame and I ride round the outside of 99% of all the latest sports bike every summer on either the GS or R1200S ;).

On my first ever track day I was in the novice group in my nearly new fireblade giving it some beans around brands hatch. I thought I was pretty fast until an Instructor on a GS fully loaded with panniers and top box came past me in the corner with 1 hand on the bars looking back at me pointing me to a better line. New GS respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Scott, I agree. I need to find the most comfortable for my smallish (5’ 9”) frame.
    The S should be fine then, I’m 6’ 1” so find the latest sportsbikes just a little too cramped (but if Connor Cummins can put 6 fast laps in on one of the latest litre bikes, then a bit of adaptation should make any of them rideable). I still have an old Blade in the garage, and I’d love to add the last shape 2014/2015 Fireblade SP, if I can find a nice one in the right colours.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 16th November 2017 at 20:27.

Litre superbikes since 2000 (approx) are irrelevant for road use. They are simply too fast.

That said - I love my 2006 R-1, but in my defence - I bought it as it was only a few hundred £££ more than a ZX636 (S/H)

Nowadays - the GSXR750 is more than enough, and in truth - a 600 would probably bring a bigger grin to your face.

As Omegamanic aludes to - the BMW 'sports' bikes are great bikes for the road, and if you limit yourself to say 90mph to preserve your license - then (in the hands of a non-professional-racer) - the BMW R1100s/R1200s/HP2s are right up there with the 'superbikes'

The S1000RR is without doubt a great bike, but - a good 636 with Ohlins and CF wheels will make a better job of UK A-roads.

Al

Having met you Mr Skyman, I think you'd fit perfectly on a Panagale 899 or 1299. I've ridden both and they're fantastic, but I'm too tall!

899 is a future classic for sure. 959 isn't as good.

I rode an S1000R around the Ardennes and loved it. A bit too fast if I'm honest! A mate came on an RR and struggled to keep up on the rough road surfaces as the bike was so track focussed.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Having met you Mr Skyman, I think you'd fit perfectly on a Panagale 899 or 1299. I've ridden both and they're fantastic, but I'm too tall!

899 is a future classic for sure. 959 isn't as good.

I rode an S1000R around the Ardennes and loved it. A bit too fast if I'm honest! A mate came on an RR and struggled to keep up on the rough road surfaces as the bike was so track focussed.
    Food for thought. Thank you, Mr N.👍

I’d wait and buy the first of the new V4 Ducatis

It's a great bike no doubt and I haven't ridden for a fair few years, but I always maintained you never needed more than my old VFR750 which had around 100bhp. I reckon it is a touch much. Just like a Mazda MX5, sometimes less is more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned and loved it. Beautiful and perfectly engineered. All the gizmos and more than you need but at the end of the day it really is better suited to the track imho. You just want to ride it fast tbh, at least I did, so ended up selling it before I lost my license. Also the element of too many performance enhancing electronics didn't always give me the feedback I preferred and at times felt quite disconnected from the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    at the end of the day it really is better suited to the track imho. You just want to ride it fast tbh,
    I `m the same with my CX500.

I've yet to meet anyone who can ride one, full on without the rider aids.
    I had the use of one for three weeks.
    Awesome bike, fully mental, scarily fast.
    If you have limited self restraint, walk away.
    You'll lose you licence at best, or wake up in a hospital bed.
    I have reservations about bikes with rider aids.
    They make mediocre riders think they're much better than they are.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    I've yet to meet anyone who can ride one, full on without the rider aids.
    I had the use of one for three weeks.
    Awesome bike, fully mental, scarily fast.
    If you have limited self restraint, walk away.
    You'll lose you licence at best, or wake up in a hospital bed.
    I have reservations about bikes with rider aids.
    They make mediocre riders think they're much better than they are.
    This reminds me of when my father bought one of the early Audi quattros in the 80s. When he took it in for its first service the dealer had a huge number of cars in the body shop because people were pushing the car way beyond what they were capable off due to the 4WD invincibility complex.

I love the S1000RR, but they are a bit small for my frame .
    there is a BIG lad in Murica that seems to be getting the hang of it

I had a GSXR 750 for years (hence the username) and rode a mates 1000rr and many other bikes but still loved the 750 just a perfect bike IMO. Did many track days croft - cadwell, and it was just a machine and I loved it. But as most people have said the riders tend to let the bikes down, most people I came across with 1000rr where quite wealthy and wanted the best "toy" but most of them had no idea how to ride a bike.

If and when I get a bike again I will prob end up on something naked, speed triple, diavel, etc

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I had a GSXR 750 for years (hence the username) and rode a mates 1000rr and many other bikes but still loved the 750 just a perfect bike IMO. Did many track days croft - cadwell, and it was just a machine and I loved it. But as most people have said the riders tend to let the bikes down, most people I came across with 1000rr where quite wealthy and wanted the best "toy" but most of them had no idea how to ride a bike.

If and when I get a bike again I will prob end up on something naked, speed triple, diavel, etc
    Funny you should post the above, as today a couple of other options occurred to me - late model GSXR 750 or an S1000R. Both probably a little more exploitable than the full blown RR.

Funny you should post the above, as today a couple of other options occurred to me - late model GSXR 750 or an S1000R. Both probably a little more exploitable than the full blown RR.
    The 750 for me was perfect, small and easy to handle and still lots of power - also rode a few 600's a r6, gsxr 600, cbr600rr and they just lacked some power for me in the way I rode but L bikes just felt much heavier and a bit to much power. If that makes any sense, I liked to fly into corners and power out and that just felt safe on the 750 when I tried it with L bikes I just felt a high side coming, could get more power down before being fully upright compared to with a L.

I all most part-ex mine for a 848 which is similar and also very nice even had agreed a deal with a dealer and went for one last blast on the 750 and then called the dealer back and told him I had changed my mind.

My mate has had one for about a month, he p/x'd a Diavel carbon for it. Today he's taking it back to the dealer to p/x for an R1200R LC, a fantastic bike performance wise but not the bike for him.

Considering the bike you already have, I would have thought that a beater for track days would have been an interesting option as the R9T will keep up easily with everything on 2 wheels in this country’s open roads. And if you’re going through that sort of option, you can get a cheap GSX-R, or treat yourself to a gorgeous Ducati like a 916/996/S which beyond being works of art will test your abilities.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

After being out of the saddle for some years I’ve recently bought a speed triple , my back can’t take sports bike positions anymore and at 6’1 and around 16.5 stone the speed triple was the best fit of the bunch ( z1000 is rather small ) .
    Never tried a 3 cylinder before and am looking forward to trying the torque out when it gets delivered next week.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    After being out of the saddle for some years I’ve recently bought a speed triple , my back can’t take sports bike positions anymore and at 6’1 and around 16.5 stone the speed triple was the best fit of the bunch ( z1000 is rather small ) .
    Never tried a 3 cylinder before and am looking forward to trying the torque out when it gets delivered next week.
    Supposed to be a great bike, sadly eclipsed in many peoples' minds - by the 4cyl streetbikes with 160bhp.

Triumph making great bikes these days - and the quality is better than BMW in many ways

Enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Supposed to be a great bike, sadly eclipsed in many peoples' minds - by the 4cyl streetbikes with 160bhp.

Triumph making great bikes these days - and the quality is better than BMW in many ways

Enjoy it!
    Yeah the newer bikes I looked at had more hp and some were nice ( bmw , gsx s ) , the mt 10 looks ok but mt 09 looks like a scrambler to me.
    Regardless , I think the 130hp or so is more than enough for a naked ( and me :) ) at 100 mph on any naked hanging on becomes more of an issue , the bmw must be mental.

Master
    Go for it! The grin will be there for a long time.
    The throttle goes both ways but yes it’s like warp speed.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Been offered a 2018MY RR with £2,000 off list price. Must resist!

Been offered a 2018MY RR with £2,000 off list price. Must resist!
    Why?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Why?
    Good question. Seems like a no brainer!

Good question. Seems like a no brainer!
    No. If you have the money then it mustn’t be a factor.
    If your skills allow you to use it well enough to have fun with it, and you really believe you want it then the only way for you is to cross that bridge. At worse (if it doesn’t kill you) you’ll tick that box.
    If on the other hand it’s just a passing fad, take my advice a few posts up and try a few bikes on a track. You may find that sometimes less is more. Ultimately buy what you want, but try them first where you’ll use them. There are bikes you naturally fit in, other will let you know you don’t belong there. Listen to them.

I love my 2015 bike

It is too much to use the last 20% of the performance most of the time on the road.

Wide open throttle with 10,000rpm + is pretty alarming the first few times and can only really be experience in 4th & 5th with a nice quiet, straight bit of road and good weather conditions.

If you do have the skills and judgement to do it justice, then why not? The great handling, brakes & rider aids make it relatively easy to ride.

My GSXR 750, which is, as has already been said, plenty fast enough, has been my track bike for the last few years. I can certainly use much more of that bikes performance on circuit than I could the S1000RR.

The S1000R is also a great choice. I had one for 2 years immediately before the RR

They actually have more bottom end & mid range shove than the RR. Absolute hooligan machines.
    Last edited by andy tims; 19th November 2017 at 11:02.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    How do these latest 1000's feel to people who've had older models?

Last 1000 I had was a ZX10R c1h model, was when they came out which looking must have been 13 years ago! Was quite nippy, think it'd do an indicated 108mph off the rev limiter in 1st gear. But the journalists at the time would have you believe that they wheelie at the slightest touch of the throttle in any gear and pull your arms off, they played them up a lot.

One thing that strikes me these days is how much money bikes are! I bought a brand new R6 in 2001 for 5 odd grand. And looking at the zx10r prices they seem to be the same money as when I sold mine 12 years ago! Guess the prices of new has kept older bikes buoyant.

I do like the new shifting though.

Regarding the 'is it too much' performance aside I always found the litre bikes much nicer/easier to ride than the smaller bikes. The gearing and torque was much nicer to use in negotiating turning into junctions or around town etc.

BMW S1000RR

I had litre bikes many years ago and used most of the performance but it ended up with the group of us all having our licence in tatters. I recently rode a friend’s CBR 1000 and spent my time changing up to calm it down. Of course you get used to the performance available but I would enjoy something a bit less extreme far more now.

Personally I favour manoeuvrable bikes without too much weight and enough steering lock. That said, I do keep getting tempted by a Multistrada but for day to day use am still content with an old 1100S Ducati so I think it is more getting a bike to suit your riding - that said if you have the opportunity then even if you only use 75% of the performance it will still be a memorable experience!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I borrowed one for a few hours while my GS was being serviced last year.

Very, very fast, but also easy and comfortable. If you fancy one, get one.

This year's service they gave me an XR for 24 hours. Even easier, even more comfortable and still felt pretty damn fast. But if I were looking at an additional bike, I'd still rather have the 1000RR though.

Interesting discussion. Currently looking at either an 1198s or a 899 Panigale.

Sent from my SM-T800 using TZ-UK mobile app

Both stunning Ducati, but I think the panitone is the better for the roads........

(either would go nicely in my hall, though)

al

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Update. Delivery due in France next week.😜
    Almost bought a new 2017 Fireblade SP at a massive discount, but the BM got the vote. Ducati 899 was in the running, but servicing costs put me off - lovely bike though, but strangely for Ducati much nicer in the pearl white.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post

No matter how much I like the 899, I generally think that the single sided swingarm Ducatis are much prettier than their double sided counter parts!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve View Post

For practically go for the 899, for great fun and future classic value (last of an era, trellis frame, single sided swing etc) not to mention stunning looks, 1198S would be my choice. Having owned one just wish I had had the space to keep it.

Master
    Update. Delivery due in France next week.
    Almost bought a new 2017 Fireblade SP at a massive discount, but the BM got the vote. Ducati 899 was in the running, but servicing costs put me off - lovely bike though, but strangely for Ducati much nicer in the pearl white.
    Nice one!
    The Blade is a great bike and I had one for 3 years before the BM.
    The easiest way to compare? if the Blade is awesome then the BM is mental

Craftsman
    Had a 2006 ZX10R which was great fun but I found it frustrating that it was geared that high.

Even after changing the sprockets to gear it down I got fed up of it and changed it to a Ducati Multistrada 1200 which was WAY more fun for me.

I’m 6’5” btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update. Delivery due in France next week.😜
    Awesome

UK blade, or French?

Could be interested in seeing what the current pricing is like. There aren't selling here due to the bad TT reception of the current model, but as a road bike I think it would be fantastic.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Awesome

UK blade, or French?

Could be interested in seeing what the current pricing is like. There aren't selling here due to the bad TT reception of the current model, but as a road bike I think it would be fantastic.
    Scott, it was a U.K. Blade. The SP retail is £19,200 ish. Offer price was £16,999. Interest free if you wanted too. Just saying!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    A couple of pics prior to collection by the courier.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I love my 2015 bike

It is too much to use the last 20% of the performance most of the time on the road.

Wide open throttle with 10,000rpm + is pretty alarming the first few times and can only really be experience in 4th & 5th with a nice quiet, straight bit of road and good weather conditions.

If you do have the skills and judgement to do it justice, then why not? The great handling, brakes & rider aids make it relatively easy to ride.

My GSXR 750, which is, as has already been said, plenty fast enough, has been my track bike for the last few years. I can certainly use much more of that bikes performance on circuit than I could the S1000RR.

The S1000R is also a great choice. I had one for 2 years immediately before the RR

They actually have more bottom end & mid range shove than the RR. Absolute hooligan machines.
    Wow, I thought the RR looked the dogs and then I saw the R. Great pair of bikes and must be so good to have had them both for a while. I have the 1200 GSA with a full Akra Ti system but still can’t stop looking at the S1000R. The R is such a great looking bike and unlike the GSA, it’s the size of an actually motorbike, not a car. I think the GS/A range is great but just doesn’t have the right sound out the pipes and doesn’t scare me while using it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    New bike arrives 8am tomorrow. Perfect for 199hp!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't think I would have settled for anything less than this:

Have to say, that the S1000RR is my choice of the current crop of litre superbikes, but they're not so great that they tempt me away from......

Enjoy the new bike - Think you'll need to head to France to get the best though.........

Al

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That R1 is Beauty.👍

That R1 is Beauty.

Thanks!

Dymag CF wheels, Ohlins forks, Ohlins shock, PC3, Velocity Stacks, 2-bros cans.....

Down on power compared to the latest Litre bikes, but out-handles.

Al