closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Merkur MarineMaster Man sbdx001 Homage

Grand Master
    Had the "Merkur" Tuna on all week here in La Laguna Tenerife,coped well in the swimming pool,set the time via atomic clock last Sunday and checked now against same....5 secs slow,now that aint bad for a watch costing much more let alone the £132 I paid.

Very happy with it so far,BUT lets see how the stainless steel case sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel cope under the hardship of life on the wrist over time,because someone I think mentioned it may not do well over time,even the Seiko movement might not last hey!!!!!.

Just an honest opinion thus far,no more or less,if/when it succumbs to anything terrible due to anything otherthan normal wear n tear Ill be sure to slate it on here......

Blog Entries
    If you really really can't resist the urge

Here's a full titanium one including Swiss Ronda 517 quartz movement, from Taiwan in this case.

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/TPS-Tempus-Pr...wAAOSwSlBYzznr
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

So, erm it appears to have appreciated in value somewhat:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merkur-Ja...e/172979451229

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    So, erm it appears to have appreciated in value somewhat:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Merkur-Ja...e/172979451229
    Seems to be something many sellers on eBay do when out of stock or last of stock until they get more in. Seem to see this type of thing in many areas, must be something to do with them wanting to keep the advert running?

I did see someone having a giraffe earlier though, listed a used merkur Tuna with an auction start of £230! They are only £119 delivered to your door brand new!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Seems to be something many sellers on eBay do when out of stock or last of stock until they get more in. Seem to see this type of thing in many areas, must be something to do with them wanting to keep the advert running?

I did see someone having a giraffe earlier though, listed a used merkur Tuna with an auction start of £230! They are only £119 delivered to your door brand new!
    I think it's the auto listing software - when supply runs low it automatically raises the price.

Blog Entries
    I'd not trust it on my wrist if I were to use it for a professional dive.

I'd like to see it taken apart next to the Seiko.

When people talk about all the Rolex clones the Rolex quality is always the trump card, and I'd say rightly so.

The MM300 is put together to a high standard, and copying looks is not enough in my book.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    I'd not trust it on my wrist if I were to use it for a professional dive.

I'd like to see it taken apart next to the Seiko.

When people talk about all the Rolex clones the Rolex quality is always the trump card, and I'd say rightly so.

The MM300 is put together to a high standard, and copying looks is not enough in my book.

That's it's biggest potential flaw with these IMO, the water resistance. I wouldn't trust one either without a pressure check.

As far as the general build quality goes they are very good for the price, well I say that but that's going off the Tuna one. I have taken one apart and (as we know) the movement is Seiko anyway, the case is perfectly made to accept the Seiko guts. The case back seal is actually a red seal which looks like a higher quality silicone feeling o ring in comparison to a normal black rubber seal. The crown seal integrity I don't know about but pretty sure it had a seal inside the crown tube on the case. Obviously good looking seals mean squat if the case back screws down with a bad tolerance. But at £119 delivered the watch amazed me for the money! Sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel to boot! Great desk diver, not something to be trusted for proper diving without testing.

Blog Entries
    I'd be really interested in a good comparison, be it with a Rolex or Seiko clone.
    Not only outside, but inside pics, taken apart, case and bezel construction, movement fitting etc.

Don't forget the ingenious L shaped gasket with the Seiko.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SBDX001-T...m/222744406335

A variation of the same thing....

I see the price has gone up a bit ?? more that the real thing now surely????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merkur-Japa...-/172979451229

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    I see the price has gone up a bit ?? more that the real thing now surely????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merkur-Japa...-/172979451229
    ^^ Look up ^^

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    With only photos and specs posted, it looks a 100% copy of the MM300 apart from a name I’ve never heard of and would unlikely trust, as it’s a blatant rip off of the Marinemaster. Plenty more fakes would be chosen in place of that.
    Why is it everyone gets their knickers in a twist over homage watches? Whats the problem? With guitars, there are so many companies making Fender Stratocasters, Teles, Jazmasters. Gibson SGs etc. Isn't it that imitation is the highest form of flattery?

"Oh no! Someones made a Strat copy!" Shock! Horror! What to speak of fake Elvis Presley's?

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    ^^ Look up ^^
    I completely missed that :) :) Are they mad???

Banned
    Who would have thought it , Seiko homage Watches what is this world coming to

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post

Are there hommages to other brands?????

I like this, shame I missed out. Ideal opportunity to try out before splashing cash on the real one.

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    I like this, shame I missed out. Ideal opportunity to try out before splashing cash on the real one.
    You can still get a Sharkie version from here

https://www.fiftyfourwatch.com/produ...-44mm-diameter

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    You can still get a Sharkie version from here

https://www.fiftyfourwatch.com/produ...-44mm-diameter
    Many thanks, would have preferred the bracelet version but may go for one of these

Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Many thanks, would have preferred the bracelet version but may go for one of these
    I think they sell a bracelet too ?? I guess you'll need the 20mm width??

https://www.fiftyfourwatch.com/produ...ko-tuna-skx007

although you can get cheaper at Amazon ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/20mm-Engine...76%3A419158031

Although this watch does nothing for me, nor homages in general, I do find the animosity on this thread a little strange.

We are, after all guests of Eddie's wonderful community. Timefactors has several models that lean heavily on classic watch DNA: the PRS-20 'Italian' (Panerai Radiomir); PRS-50 (Blancpain 50 Fathoms, including no-radiation sign); PRS-3 (Omega Seamaster 300); Smiths Everest (Rolex Explorer 1) for example.

Do you display the same vitriol to our host's superb watches? I surely hope not.

Master
    Based on the WUS discussion the Merkur watches are made by a fake watch factory, who have realized that they get better money for a fake that does not say "Seiko" on the dial.

I think it's a bit different to remake classic designs under your own well established brand.

To a place where the well informed know Seiko make some bloody good watches free of aspirational nonsense?
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 19th December 2017 at 17:21.

Everyone’s at it. Panerai have even just released a homage to Eddie’s PRS-20 Italian!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk