timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Merkur MarineMaster Man sbdx001 Homage

Journeyman

My Merkur MarineMaster Man sbdx001 Homage

Merkur Japan Tuna Diver MarineMaster Man sbdx001 Homage
    Case Size:44*15MM .Strap Size : 2.0MM
    Movt: Merkur Cal811(Miyota 9015 original)
    Case:Monoblock 316L SS From Japan .
    Bezel: Ceremic Bezel.
    Glass: double-arc Saphire
    Hands: Swiss Blue Luminous.
    WR:300M
    Pointer on Dial :Swiss Blue Luminous.

Master
    Is this the same company that does the shaving equipment?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Clasp looks bette quality than the original
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Ordered the Merkur Tuna 3 weeks ago,wondered when it would arrive!,a knock on the door an hour ago,I now have it.

Ive had a few of the "Original" Seiko Tunas,have an 83 vintage now.I almost said for £132 it's good,but I have to say the quality far exceeds that price,it really is a superb watch,it looks right,it certainly feels a quality piece which most of us wouldn't think possible!.The rubber strap is as the Seiko turtle ie super soft and wears well.
    Not a post to rant on about "homage" watches,rather to say it may tick the box for anyone considering the look and style of the Seiko "expensive" equivalent for a huge amount less.Reason I took the punt on one, I missed the one on sc recently and so went onto google etc,sounded convincing,tbh I thought it too good to be true........it's good.

Sorry no pics,my image upload ain't working for me!.

Master
    From the photos, only the hands let it down, and that's just nitpicking really.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned

Thumbs up

With only photos and specs posted, it looks a 100% copy of the MM300 apart from a name I’ve never heard of and would unlikely trust, as it’s a blatant rip off of the Marinemaster. Plenty more fakes would be chosen in place of that.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    With only photos and specs posted, it looks a 100% copy of the MM300 apart from a name I’ve never heard of and would unlikely trust, as it’s a blatant rip off of the Marinemaster. Plenty more fakes would be chosen in place of that.
    I think my post teetered on the "trust" bit you mention,but as I stated,I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed in terms of quality etc regardless of cost.
    There are many discussions with regards to opinions on "homage and or fake",which can be applied to quite a lot of watches that mimic the look of one particular brand!.

BUT......its been done to death and gets rather boring because the same old stuff gets resurected,there out there,you buy or you don't......for your own reasons.

I bought it,I like it.......curious to know,what are the "fakes" you mention you WOULD
    choose?.

Yet I do get your point too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I think my post teetered on the "trust" bit you mention,but as I stated,I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed in terms of quality etc regardless of cost.
    There are many discussions with regards to opinions on "homage and or fake",which can be applied to quite a lot of watches that mimic the look of one particular brand!.

BUT......its been done to death and gets rather boring because the same old stuff gets resurected,there out there,you buy or you don't......for your own reasons.

I bought it,I like it.......curious to know,what are the "fakes" you mention you WOULD
    choose?.

Yet I do get your point too.
    I also get your point and should have said thanks for the basic review. I wouldn’t chose any, apologies for making it clear. Don’t wear fakes, which this is as close to as can be bar the name. Homage to me is something different, but as you say, done to death.

Only thing we can learn from the OP is yes, they’ve managed to copy an MM, so serves no purpose for me. At least tell us your opinion, compare it to the original, discuss pricing, manufacturer service etc. Looks like an advert for the copy and nothing more.

Apart from the fact that it's a blatant copy of the MM300, first of all I thought it's labor time consuming and therefore expensive to produce this type of case. (Even though I already have seen MM300 copies)
    However if specs are for real the all time biggest issues of the Marinemaster are fixed here?
    Sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert, slimmer clasp?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Seiko have been merked, as the youth would say!

Craftsman
    Yeah well, looks fine but it is blattant copy. Whatever people say, buying this is just a waste of money.

The real MM 300 is obviously much better, but if funds are tight, a SKX007/9, Monster or Turtle is so much better value than this copy.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

I think we need a few more shots of it ?

Not sure why people are offended by homage watches.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

(I'd personally go for a turtle or something for this price point and save for a MM)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Yeah well, looks fine but it is blattant copy. Whatever people say, buying this is just a waste of money.

The real MM 300 is obviously much better, but if funds are tight, a SKX007/9, Monster or Turtle is so much better value than this copy.

But is the value of the others so much better!,I've got all the other Seikos you mention,and I will honestly say that the Merkur I am now wearing is comparable in every way I can see and feel,even has a Seiko movement.Those who see it as a blatant copy WILL NOT buy one,and will forever bleat on about it til the cows come home,that has been heard time and again!.
    To go on and say "if funds are tight" buy a SKX007/9!,well that don't do much for someone wanting the Tuna or MM300 now does it?....and to be so arrogant that it's a simple matter to save up the pennies to eventually buy one simply isn't doable for many.
    Im not the only one who can see what these Chinese people have done,its plain to see very easily,that said it does not help those that can't throw over a few k at a watch,I certainly wouldn't be pointing a finger at anyone who did buy one..........eventually that person might be in a position to buy the "real" whatever "real" watch might mean!.

The Seiko Tuna ain't a Merkur Tuna ain't a Seiko Tuna.....but they are both watches.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 16th November 2017 at 21:32.

Master
    I'd happily have one as an inexpensive way to see whether I would likely spend a bigger chunk on the genuine item. Where might I obtain one of these and how much?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    I'd happily have one as an inexpensive way to see whether I would likely spend a bigger chunk on the genuine item. Where might I obtain one of these and how much?
    Search Merkur watches,click the link that takes you to his eBay site.....order sit back and wait approx 3 weeks.

Craftsman
    Ok my post was a little bit harsh. But I still don't understand the point of throwing money for a watch that is the exact carbon copy of MM 300 which is still in production and not even that expensive (compared to Rolex, Omega etc). The quality will be very far from the real one and every time I look at it I will be annoyed by seeing Merkur written on it.

I don't accept the argument, I want to buy one to see if I like it. Let's suppose you like it, then what? You will pay for a real one. In any case if you like it or not you will be stuck with a watch that can be resold for token money only. Buying second hand MM300 is not that difficult and can be flipped on SC in 30min if priced sensibly.

Finally I have had pretty much every entry level Seiko Diver's and still have 5 of them. Those watches have decades of history, have been used by divers, military personnel in demanding situations. They have passed the test of time. They may be less well finished than this Merkur and they don't have saphire crystals. But they will still perform in 20-30 years. While such blattant copies like the one in the post will be broken and forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post

I've got an MM and I'm still interested in this puppy
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I've got an MM and I'm still interested in this puppy
    Interested enough to buy one ?

The case isn't quite as sharp as a real MM300. Presume its got a Miyota inside? And I severely doubt this is Japanese made at that price! Knocked up in a Shenzhen sweatshop like all the other knockoffs.

It's a 10 yards watch at best. Nah.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    Not sure why people are offended by homage watches.

As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

(I'd personally go for a turtle or something for this price point and save for a MM)

This is a PURE copy.
    Just changind the name on the dial.

0% creativity
    100% bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    This is a PURE copy.
    Just changind the name on the dial.

0% creativity
    100% bullshit
    I don't dispute that it is a copy... I am just not sure why people are offended by it? It's not for me, but may suit someone else.

Even Rolex (I read somewhere) have acknowledged that fakes/copies/homages have actually helped their brand, rather than hindered it. People in the market for a real Submariner, might consider a PO or BP FF or a JLC as alternatives... but they don't weigh the purchase of a real Rolex up against a fake. Therefore the 'clones' only help the brand be seen as more desirable and do not remove that many sales from the real company.

I am not condoning fakery, by the way, just thought it was an interesting perspective.

I would hazard a guess that there are more differences between this MM-like watch and a real MM... like the quality of the build, finish and movement, but as I said before; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My MM has taken this watch as a compliment ;-)

Surely the point of the MM300 isn't really the looks, but the fact that it just oozes quality due to the materials and care put into its production?

Therefore, a homage made of cheaper materials and by cheaper methods is completely missing the point?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Surely the point of the MM300 isn't really the looks, but the fact that it just oozes quality due to the materials and care put into its production?

Therefore, a homage made of cheaper materials and by cheaper methods is completely missing the point?
    The MM300 is a fantastic design.
    And surely is not only a heap of great materials! In certain areas it does have superior materials. (Mainly in the movement I would suggest.)
    However in other areas it doesn't. (bezel, crystal)
    The workmanship put into the real thing is superb, I can agree on that. But I'm still surprised how close this thing get to it in terms of finishing.
    The Marinemaster is one of the very best dive watch you can. I have had two and loved them.

Conclusion?

(A) - I hate those companies who are simply copy someone else's intelectual property and making money on it. Also when we see a copy on this level don't be naive. These were made to sell as fakes with Seiko on the dial and trying to fool People (us) on the second hand market! Also some will be sold under other brand names. I'm sure it's a well working business model.

(B) - Why on earth Seiko can not finish their 95% perfect iconic dive watch and tune the last 5%?

I'm not going to buy this but being angry with Seiko. Why they can not upgrade their widely successful model? Specially when a blatant copy can do it.
    - Put a blody sapphyre on it no matter some will be cracked underwater!
    - Make ceramic insert for the lovely bezel!
    - Regulate the otherwise great movement before sending the watch out!
    - Do something on the clasp if many are not happy!
    End of

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    - Make ceramic insert for the lovely bezel!

End of
    I'm a big fan of the enamel bezel. Looks lovely and distinctive.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    The case isn't quite as sharp as a real MM300. Presume its got a Miyota inside? And I severely doubt this is Japanese made at that price! Knocked up in a Shenzhen sweatshop like all the other knockoffs.

It's a 10 yards watch at best. Nah.
    There is a big thread on WUS about this watch. It is made in the same factory as other hommages/fakes. Just the name on the dial changes. This is not a microbrand, it's a clever way to charge more money than a fake Rolex for essentially selling the same stuff.

People should stop promoting fakes/copies on this forum and pretend it's like the real one but costs less money. Or even say, it is better than a real MM300. It remains a fake, period. There are special replica/fake forums for this.

I disagree, I don't think of things like this as fakes, more like a tribute band.

As with tribute bands, some are better than others....

...some straight out attempt to copy the original, and some try to add their own uniqueness.

I am happy to go an see an Elvis impersonator, so long as they are not charging Elvis prices and pretending to be the real King! It doesn't distract from my enjoyment of the real thing, either.

What about this MM clone / homage? Where do people stand?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Very-...t/322868779239

It's a copy, but has gone its own way with some of the design... more MM inspired than MM copied.
    Last edited by danmiddle2; 17th November 2017 at 15:34.

An indication of how closely related to the fakes industry these identical-except-for-the-name copies are: one batch of Bauhaus watches had Stowa casebacks....

The difference with a tribute band is usually the original artist are dead or not performing as they once did.
    Most tribute bands nod something different towards the artists they are trying to emulate, they certainly are not trying to pass them self's off as the originals just reinventing the music. When it is performed live I have no problem with tribute bands, recording albums say as Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd I have a problem with.

Back to watches...there is absolutely no connection with the above, this watch has been collaborated on deceitfully to emulate a current in production watch, which smacks of fraudulence. If this continues (and it will) it will devalue our hobby, but I cannot see this changing the genie is out of the bottle.
    Not for me by the way.

HAGWE

This a a pure fake in my view and not a homage. Apart from the new made up mushroom brand name, it’s a blatant attempt to sell a fake MM300. Somehow changing the name from a Seiko to Merkur or a little ‘Sharkey’ legitimises them? I think not. They are indeed fake Seiko’s and are stealing Seiko designs and IP for illegitimate gain.

The faker factories of Shenzhen have worked out there is a grey zone between out and out fakery and homages. And somehow the cheap-arsed WIS of this world have fallen for it.

Apparently folks are prepared to regard these as homages, because the fakers didn’t, in this case, put Seiko on the dial. It’s no more legitimate than a fake handbag.

Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    This a a pure fake in my view and not a homage. Apart from the new made up mushroom brand name, it’s a blatant attempt to sell a fake MM300. Somehow changing the name from a Seiko to Merkur or a little ‘Sharkey’ legitimises them? I think not. They are indeed fake Seiko’s and are stealing Seiko designs and IP for illegitimate gain.

The faker factories of Shenzhen have worked out there is a grey zone between out and out fakery and homages. And somehow the cheap-arsed WIS of this world have fallen for it.

Apparently folks are prepared to regard these as homages, because the fakers didn’t, in this case, put Seiko on the dial. It’s no more legitimate than a fake handbag.
    Plenty of designs get copied, but unless they are also using the branding are not considered to be fake. Infringing intellectual property, maybe.

To me at least, a "fake", "counterfeit" or "replica" is something that is purporting to be something that it is not (a FEIKO, in this case, perhaps?).

This is not.
    Nobody is going to see this and think it is a Seiko (except maybe from a distance).

I don't doubt the connection of where they may be manufactured side-by-side with fakes
    I don't disagree that they may be infringing on Seiko IP
    ...but I do not think this is a fake.

I am also intrigued why people seem to find it is so offensive...surely IP infringement issues are for Seiko's lawyers to worry about?

I wouldn't buy one, as I have said... But I certainly am not offended that others do, and I found the post interesting.

I have a DB9. When I see replica's, I am not offended either... If AM's lawyers want to pursue the makers of these, so be it:

not my car...

also not my car

The first mechanical watch I bought four years ago was the Rodina Bauhaus, which was very popular on WUS etc. It was $120 and a solid watch.

I bought it with money given for a birthday, and so I had sentimental reasons for hanging onto it after I had gone on to buying watches more in tune with my tastes as I worked out what they were.

However, once the penny dropped and I realised these were simply fakes with a legit brandname, I felt bad about having sweet sentiments attached to it. I sold it and put the money into a more honest watch, and the sentiments found it very easy to hop across too.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I think they're sold out
    I have been sniffing around their other homages
    I don't buy watches anymore

(almost all the of the above are true)
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

As a slight aside, I am more offended by the likes of ProHunter.

As far as I can tell, they take someone elses product, paint it black, slap ProHunter on the dial and charge 4-5x for it... where is the justice in that?

Rolex engineered the thing, it's all their hard work... they are just painting it black.

And their whole AMG/Mercedes analogy crap doesn't stack up either... AMG tune the engine, replace components and have an effect on the function of the final product... I doubt ProHunter "tune" the watch movements to run faster!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    but as I said before; imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My MM has taken this watch as a compliment ;-)

Journeyman

Question

just to make a small example, are these copies, fake or homage?

even in Italian forums the most intransigent people call " copy " my Tudor

Quote Originally Posted by storm56 View Post
    As you know, this watch, unlike the one in the OP, is considerably larger than the watch whose design it is based on, uses a design that has not been employed by the original manufacturer for many years, and is not produced on the same production line as fakes.

Anyone claiming not to be able to perceive these differentiations I will suspect of being disingenuous.

Journeyman
    I do not care for blatant copies. At least offer one different aspect of your own to the watch.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Alpha in the list of look-e-like-e.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I have no real problem with the watch, as it doesn’t say Seiko on it, but I can see Seiko being a little annoyed at the almost exact replica nature.

To me it it is not to far different to some Steinhart or other options.

Id prefer it with a Seiko movement to the Citizen, as that really would be funnier, but as it looks just like a MM300, it does look good. It probably betters the MM300 in the area that the watch leaves me cold. I still have one in my watch box, the 5th one I’ve owned now - each time I sell one Impromise myself I’ll never buy another - hmmm

Nice looking watch, it is what it is. I don't remember all this fuss when Marina Militare were doing the rounds.

Craftsman
    Nice looking watch, it is what it is. I don't remember all this fuss when Marina Militare were doing the rounds.
    Aren’t they banned in SC though? Presumably for this reason...

Quote Originally Posted by jimyu View Post
    Aren’t they banned in SC though? Presumably for this reason...
    Thry were banned because the text 'MM' constituted a copyright infringement

Probably only because they were using a better movement than the watch they were copying ;)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

I have the MM300 and have one of these on order. Why not? It will be interesting with them side by side to see how they hold up.

Plus the whole watch costs less than some rubber straps and bracelets, I have no regrets.

Master
    Just curious - how is the caseback fitted? Or is this a monoblock, front loader?

It would appear that they've also copied the Seiko 6105. It was ok for the Smiths PRS-68, so presumably this is equally acceptable, or am I missing something subtle here?
    Last edited by TomGW; 19th November 2017 at 01:32.

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    Just curious - how is the caseback fitted? Or is this a monoblock, front loader?

It would appear that they've also copied the Seiko 6105. It was ok for the Smiths PRS-68, so presumably this is equally acceptable, or am I missing something subtle here?
    It's a one piece case like the original.

Master
    How do they come up with these names!

'Merker' sounds like the profession of someone who grooms pubic wigs!

I've read many reviews on this brand (especially the Tuna) and even seen direct comparisons and they show the Merkin very close.

Makes you wonder though, they use a Seiko movement, DD sapphire, finish is near identical but the Merkin's production costs must be a lot more yet they're 1/10th the price. The Tuna is £119 delivered!

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    How do they come up with these names!

'Merker' sounds like the profession of someone who grooms pubic wigs!

I've read many reviews on this brand (especially the Tuna) and even seen direct comparisons and they show the Merkin very close.

Makes you wonder though, they use a Seiko movement, DD sapphire, finish is near identical but the Merkin's production costs must be a lot more yet they're 1/10th the price. The Tuna is £119 delivered!
    Why would their production costs be more?

Seiko have to invest in the design and innovation.... and presumably have higher labour costs in Japan. Also, Seiko is set up to support their watches post-sales.

Merkur simply copy what has already been laid out before them, and labour rates are cheaper in China, no? What is the OE post sales / servicing like?

Also, the real tell in quality will surely be after the watch has been used for a while. I am doubtful that this would compare after a year or so of use.
    Last edited by danmiddle2; 19th November 2017 at 10:00.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    For some it may be too unsettling to contemplate.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 19th November 2017 at 12:00.