closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hello (and maybe a little Panerai help!)

Journeyman

Hello (and maybe a little Panerai help!)

Hi everyone, I’ve been following the forum on and off for a while but thought I’d pop my head up and say hello. I’ve had a passing interest in watches for a while, although alas my collection is pretty limited (a moonwatch, a Black Bay Blue (smiley version) as well as a Bremont which actually started the whole watch journey a few years ago.

The good news (except for my bank balance) is that I’m looking to add to the collection and, having bounced between wildly different options, I’ve been smitten by Panerai’s ‘tuna can’ titanium Luminor case. Problem is, I really want a sandwich dial and seconds hand as well, which basically (I think) means a PAM 177 or a q series 564 (although am also strangely drawn to the 240) and I’ve never bought pre-owned or had a watch serviced before, so it’s a new world to me!

In house isn’t particularly important to me and I like the idea that the eta-based OP movement in the 177 (or 240)is a known robust movement that should be easier to service by any watchmaker. What I wanted to ask is the forum, and Panerai owners in particular, is - is this actually any benefit, or in reality do you just end up sending your OP movement watch to Panerai for servicing anyway and the costs end up being the same?

Sorry for jabbering on and nice to meet you all!

Picking an eta based panerai is a good option as panerais are great and probably my favourite brand ,but sending a watch to panerai doesn’t often end happy,there’s been a few disappointed people on here including myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Great, many thanks for the info (although it sounds a bit ominous)! So you’d recommend stick with the eta and have them repaired independently? If you don’t mind me asking, were the disappointing experiences a result of aggressive pricing or poor customer service (or both)?

Customer service,sending them back with scratches on

After owning a few Panerai, I've ended up with the 351 being my perfect model. It's got all of the features you want, including the sandwich dial, but is in the 1950 case.

It's definitely a chunky thing, but looks and feels great (doesn't wobble around uncomfortably like some of the steel versions can)

It does have an in-house movement, but this has been very accurate for me over the last year, and the 3 day power reserve has been useful.

So if you like the case shape/size and can live with the in-house movement, I'd recommend at least trying the 351 out to see how it wears on your wrist :-)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Customer service,sending them back with scratches on

Blimey, that doesn’t sound great. Thanks for the heads up!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    After owning a few Panerai, I've ended up with the 351 being my perfect model. It's got all of the features you want, including the sandwich dial, but is in the 1950 case.

It's definitely a chunky thing, but looks and feels great (doesn't wobble around uncomfortably like some of the steel versions can)

It does have an in-house movement, but this has been very accurate for me over the last year, and the 3 day power reserve has been useful.

So if you like the case shape/size and can live with the in-house movement, I'd recommend at least trying the 351 out to see how it wears on your wrist :-)
    Really good shout - it was actually the 351 that started me looking at Panerai! It’s such a beautiful watch. I tried it on a few times and absolutely loved the styling but unfortunately felt the 195p case wore just a tiny bit too high for me to get comfortable with as a daily wearer. I think that’s why I’m quite keen on the 240, although I’m not a huge cyclops fan and it’s not a sandwich dial. Argh decisions!

I wouldn’t be put off with an in house movement as I’ve had a couple with no issues,there’s plenty of good stories I’m sure but you only really hear about the bad

Totally understand. It's taken a while for me to get used to the case thickness.

The cyclops was the reason I got rid of my 243 as it happens, as most of the time you can't see the date; like the concept, but in practice didn't work that great.

Think you might have to go with your initial choices, and just learn to love the sausage dial ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Capcarrot View Post
    Really good shout - it was actually the 351 that started me looking at Panerai! It’s such a beautiful watch. I tried it on a few times and absolutely loved the styling but unfortunately felt the 195p case wore just a tiny bit too high for me to get comfortable with as a daily wearer. I think that’s why I’m quite keen on the 240, although I’m not a huge cyclops fan and it’s not a sandwich dial. Argh decisions!

Journeyman
    Looks like it’s the 177 for me or some sausage dial goodness with a 61, 118 or 564. Thank you both for your help.

I had the same dilemna

Always wanted a Pam, the 000 was the model that drew me in, was saving for a while, then got caught up on the 312 and 372. (372 I still think is a stunning watch) yet decided I wanted manual wind & 47mm was to big for me.

Bought a 560 a few months ago has everything I need base hands, sandwich dial, amazing lume, in house movement (8 days so I only wind it every Saturday).

Good luck with your choice, but I know Paneria are shortly opening a London Bouitique so could be worth a visit and trying on a few models to get a better idea.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Always wanted a Pam, the 000 was the model that drew me in, was saving for a while, then got caught up on the 312 and 372. (372 I still think is a stunning watch) yet decided I wanted manual wind & 47mm was to big for me.

Bought a 560 a few months ago has everything I need base hands, sandwich dial, amazing lume, in house movement (8 days so I only wind it every Saturday).

Good luck with your choice, but I know Paneria are shortly opening a London Bouitique so could be worth a visit and trying on a few models to get a better idea.
    Congrats on the 560, very nice pick up. Good idea about the boutique - I’d forgotten they were opening one here, think it was originally meant to open in early Nov so fingers crossed it’s any day now.

Mate, Harrods has most current models. They didn't have the 562 on display, but after I asked the assistant opened a safe and pulled out one of two watch boxes that had dozens in both :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hello and welcome. I don't envy you on choosing a Panerai. I love the brand but too many to choose from.

Craftsman
    I've got a 320, originally was looking for a 312 but this came up.
    It is quite a thick watch but doesn't feel top heavy. It is really comfortable to wear.
    There are so many variations and numbers to get used to!
    Good luck with your search.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Welcome by the way

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Mate, Harrods has most current models. They didn't have the 562 on display, but after I asked the assistant opened a safe and pulled out one of two watch boxes that had dozens in both :-)
    It’s just selfish them sitting on all those watches and not even giving a discount ;)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Hello and welcome. I don't envy you on choosing a Panerai. I love the brand but too many to choose from.
    Thanks for the welcome. It does seem the more choice there is, the more I fixate on finding the “just right” model. Which will obviously never exist as where’s the fun in that!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Welcome by the way

Thanks - and the 320 is a beaut.