closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not another Submariner review

Not another Submariner review

These are my (personal) thoughts on all the various models of the ubiquitous Rolex Submariner:

Points I like

The 50s and 60s heritage
    Classic design
    Good proportions and dimensions - of the 5 digit cases at least
    Maxi dial
    Modern solid bracelet with the glide lock extension
    Metal surrounds on the indices

Points I don't like

The price - for me, upwards of £5k is just too much for a watch that I would wear casually and costs more than any other watch in my collection.
    The brand and its image - again just a personal view and one that has been discussed much on here
    Mercedes hands - never liked them. Swords hands I like....
    Proportions of the 6 digit cases - those wide fat lugs
    Rattly bracelet and flimsy clasp of the 5 digit cases - I know some people like the purported charm of these but for the price I do not

The answer?

So have I found the answer in the Ginault? It has:

A great price
    Sword hands
    5 digit case
    6 digit bracelet
    Metal surrounds on the indices
    Maxi dial
    Even a splash of red on the dial with the seconds hand which I like
    No brand recognition!

As a comparison to other similar watches I have owned:

Quality wise, the Ginault feels the equal of the MM300 which is twice the price. The brushing (radial on the lugs) and polishing are the equal of the MM300 and I love the sparkling gold lume and way the quarter indices and arrow are deeper and so catch the light more than the other five minute indices.

I find the Ginault to be better quality than the Tudor Black Bay, that I thought really answers my conundrum above. The bracelet is better, the polishing and brushing are better and the movement and crown action feel just as solid. As many have found, the thickness and slab sides of the Black Bay spoiled it for me - but also the lug to lug length and the 22mm width of the bracelet, just too big for me all round. The Ginault feels better refined than the Tudor, which was surprising given the price differential.

I also really like the dial on the Ginault, it has a particularly shimmering black quality that is unexpected for the price.

Is there anything I would improve about the Ginault? I'd prefer minute markers all the way round the bezel, but that's about it. Even the text on the dial doesn't bother me at all, although obvious in photos, on the wrist it's not even legible, only the word 'Ginault' is.

So this was not another Submariner review. I haven't owned a Submariner and I can't see myself doing so, unless and until Rolex releases a Submariner with thinner lugs (and I come into some money!), in line with the recent designs of the new Sea Dweller and the DSSD - as far as I know the Submariner is the only current model with the fat lugs. For now and for me personally, the Ginault is 90% of the watch at 10% of the price.

Last edited by mindforge; 15th November 2017 at 10:38.

Master
    I cannot argue. An emblem on the clasp is all i want added.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yes, would have been nice as the emblem looks so good embossed on the crown, but as it's not constantly on view, it doesn't really bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I cannot argue. An emblem on the clasp is all i want added.

I'd be interested in a pepsi gmt.
    Good luck to them, they've produced what seems to be a quality watch that can hold its own in an arguably small, specific and saturated market.
    Interesting marketing model, selling at discount to get maximum forum /social media exposure. I've lost count of how many incentivised reviews there are on YouTube.
    But i just can't help thinking that the market they are targeting might be a bit small... They need to break out of the boutique/homage/wis forum ghetto. I don't know how they are going to do that, but i wish them well with it.
    Anything that presents both quality and value is an interesting proposition.
    The issue they have is that as long as residual stay low, they aren't going to appeal to serial flippers who presumably comprise most of their targeted market. Its a catch 22. Steinhart don't have that problem, but as a brand they are not a one trick pony. Just my 0.02 swedish krone.
    Last edited by seikopath; 15th November 2017 at 10:46.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

So what you were really looking for was a milsub homage if your preference was sword hands and 60 min markers all the way round the bezel insert. Very nice looking watch, the Steinhart Military went the whole hog, but was in a 42mm case and you like the white gold surrounds on the 5 min markers, which came in much later than the original milsub dials.

You have rather successfully picked out a mix of vintage bits and modern bits and found a watch that ticks all your boxes without breaking the bank - well done you.

Master
    Very nice.
    You didn't mention the size, it looks larger that 40mm, but that may be the perspective in the photo.
    What is the list price and movement used?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats rather different. Congrats

The white gold surrounds is something I would love Rolex to drop (obviously aint going to happen) but I love how cool old subs look without them

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Very nice.
    You didn't mention the size, it looks larger that 40mm, but that may be the perspective in the photo.
    What is the list price and movement used?
    Apologies, I assumed some knowledge about the watch. Yes it's 40mm and is just the effect of perspective and my wrist size (6.75 inches).

List price is $1200 but a discount of 40% is available if you ask and also they now ship directly from the EU meaning no import duties/VAT.

Movement is an ETA replicate of some sort - there's lots of information around about the movement if you're interested. Works well and comes with a record of it having been timed over a couple of weeks.

Exactly and I have been aware of the Steinhart Vintage Military but didn't like the larger size, or the way the lugs seemed flat rather than curving down to hug the wrist, which in my experience makes all the difference to the fit. Also the Steinhart lume colour is closer to nicotine brown rather than the paler gold of the Ginault.

Completely - I realise the white gold surrounds were not original to the milsub dials but I do like them!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    So what you were really looking for was a milsub homage if your preference was sword hands and 60 min markers all the way round the bezel insert. Very nice looking watch, the Steinhart Military went the whole hog, but was in a 42mm case and you like the white gold surrounds on the 5 min markers, which came in much later than the original milsub dials.

You have rather successfully picked out a mix of vintage bits and modern bits and found a watch that ticks all your boxes without breaking the bank - well done you.

All true. Doesn't Steinhart appeal to the same market? For me you get a lot more quality for perhaps double the price of a Steinhart, so it works for me.

No idea about residuals but I plan to wear the watch. However they do not come up for sale much on here so I would have thought it will retain its value.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I'd be interested in a pepsi gmt.
    Good luck to them, they've produced what seems to be a quality watch that can hold its own in an arguably small, specific and saturated market.
    Interesting marketing model, selling at discount to get maximum forum /social media exposure. I've lost count of how many incentivised reviews there are on YouTube.
    But i just can't help thinking that the market they are targeting might be a bit small... They need to break out of the boutique/homage/wis forum ghetto. I don't know how they are going to do that, but i wish them well with it.
    Anything that presents both quality and value is an interesting proposition.
    The issue they have is that as long as residual stay low, they aren't going to appeal to serial flippers who presumably comprise most of their targeted market. Its a catch 22. Steinhart don't have that problem, but as a brand they are not a one trick pony. Just my 0.02 swedish krone.

Steinhart have alot of original models.
    They have a much bigger line up. They are an established microbrand

Ginault are still new and small. I think their market strategy is like a kickstarter model. Start small, with incentived pricing and then raise the prices towards the rrp, ie less disxounting

Whether they will be able to pull this off is yet to be seen.

Personally, i like the watches, but assuming they've got good residuals because you don't see many for sale is i think perhaps disingenuous, especially at this stage.
    Last edited by seikopath; 15th November 2017 at 11:03.

It looks far too much like a Submariner to me for comfort. From the bezel and insert, dial and bracelet. Even the font/layout on the dial.

There are a lot of nice features, but only because they are the features across a number of the originals.

It looks like a nice enough watch in isolation though.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    I don’t normally like homage watches, but I do like this. Looks well finished with nice detail.
    The clasp looks to be very well made.

Master
    Like that a lot. I read elsewhere that the Ginault Caliber 7275 is a "reproduction of the Swiss ETA 2824-2" but that they don't source it from a Chinese supplier. Where they actually get them seems a bit of a mystery.

One thing that surprises me slightly about your review is that you dislike the Rolex brand and its image, yet this watch costs substantial money and is an unambiguous homage to that brand.

I quite like the look of that, how much did it work out at with the discount in sterling?

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing View Post
    I quite like the look of that, how much did it work out at with the discount in sterling?
    think they are about the 600/700 quid mark

Trying to read up on the background of this company is hard work. This is the impression I got: someone behind it used to work in the high-accuracy replica world; they realised that there was a niche in the market for a blend of everyone's favourite bits from the various Subs, and that by going legit they could also charge far more; the source of the movements are mysterious, but sufficient work is done to them by the manufacturer to ensure good quality.

As I said, that's purely an impression derived from trying to make sense of second-hand info found online, and could well be total nonsense.

The guy who started it used to be a member on here and came on here early on asking for advice. Don't think he stuck around for too long.

Master
    I really like the look of that, I've promised myself to stick with two Watches so I will stick to admiring the Pics for now!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Like that a lot. I read elsewhere that the Ginault Caliber 7275 is a "reproduction of the Swiss ETA 2824-2" but that they don't source it from a Chinese supplier. Where they actually get them seems a bit of a mystery.

One thing that surprises me slightly about your review is that you dislike the Rolex brand and its image, yet this watch costs substantial money and is an unambiguous homage to that brand.
    I wouldn't say £650 is a lot compared to £5000 or whatever a new Submariner goes for! As I said I like and respect the designs but not the brand, image or price so for me this is a good solution, especially as it compares favourably to other similarly styled watches costing a lot more.

That's a nice-looking watch!

(but then it is bound to be - as it is a direct copy of a design icon)

With £1000 to spend - I'd want something 'original' - like a Damasko or something

think they are about the 600/700 quid mark
    Yup about £650 including delivery, but depends on exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It looks far too much like a Submariner to me for comfort. From the bezel and insert, dial and bracelet. Even the font/layout on the dial.

There are a lot of nice features, but only because they are the features across a number of the originals.

It looks like a nice enough watch in isolation though.
    Exactly! I like it on its own merits and it's not possible to buy an equivalent design or functionality from Rolex, whatever the price.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    That's a nice-looking watch!

(but then it is bound to be - as it is a direct copy of a design icon)

With £1000 to spend - I'd want something 'original' - like a Damasko or something
    Sure but this costs £650 and is a completely different design to a Damasko. If you want an original design for very good value, I would always go to Seiko.

Craftsman
    Looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, but it isn't a Duck, its a copy of a Duck. Each to their own though.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, but it isn't a Duck, its a copy of a Duck. Each to their own though.
    Aquatic analogies aside, it's not a copy because a single original with the same design and functionality never existed. It is an amalgamation of several different originals over the last 40 years. In copyright terms that would be considered an original expression of the same idea(s) and so not a copy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Aquatic analogies aside, it's not a copy because a single original with the same design and functionality never existed. It is an amalgamation of several different originals over the last 40 years. In copyright terms that would be considered an original expression of the same idea(s) and so not a copy.
    Ok not a copy per say, but its a watch that looks remarkable like a Rolex Sub, that doesn't cost circa 5k. Nothing wrong with that, but if I wanted a Sub like watch I would buy a Rolex Sub. At least when people say, is that a Rolex, you can say no :)

Nice looking watch though.

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    Ok not a copy per say, but its a watch that looks remarkable like a Rolex Sub, that doesn't cost circa 5k. Nothing wrong with that, but if I wanted a Sub like watch I would buy a Rolex Sub. At least when people say, is that a Rolex, you can say no :)

Nice looking watch though.
    Yes exactly, my thinking too! I haven't been asked if it's a Rolex but I have been asked what it is.

If the Sub was £2k so would I, but not at more than £5k, personally I just don't feel it's worth it.

one thing that gets on my tits is the amount of superfluous text on the dial.

how many meetings did it take to come with ' inexorably submersive aquatic chronometer' or whatever it says i wonder.

i prefer the two line subs

and 'hand built in america' . what does that mean exactly? id be interested to know exactly what that means in this case.
    Last edited by seikopath; 15th November 2017 at 13:22.

one thing that gets on my tits is the amount of superfluous text on the dial.

how many meetings did it take to come with ' inexorably submersive aquatic chronometer' or whatever it says i wonder.

i prefer the two line subs

and 'hand built in america' . what does that mean exactly? id be interested to know exactly what that means in this case.
    Yes I agree, both are silly and perhaps an ill judged joke. However it is only apparent in photos which blow up the dial to the whole screen, I genuinely cannot read and so do not notice any of the text apart from 'Ginault'. I thought it would annoy me but it doesn't.

Confess that I really like this, but it seems to be about £1400. You say that a discount is available.

The red seconds hand, no Cyclops and black date wheel work for me.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    What time does it keep?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    What time does it keep?
    I'm guessing its the usual 24 hours in a day,

Re timing, here's the certificate mine came with. It's been very accurate.

Also the full package, actually the screwdriver was very thoughtful and it was the easiest bracelet to size I've ever had, usually I hate doing that but this was easy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post

Confess that I really like this, but it seems to be about £1400. You say that a discount is available.

The red seconds hand, no Cyclops and black date wheel work for me.
    I have this model. It's a looker, no doubt. Should be able to get it for £750 mark.

Craftsman
    I'm guessing its the usual 24 hours in a day,
    Surely it would be 12 hours? It's not a 24 hour dial :P

Craftsman
    You’ve found a watch that has all the features you like, is a little bit different from the norm, doesn’t break the bank and makes you happy. I’m jealous!

And now the right way round. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I have this model. It's a looker, no doubt. Should be able to get it for £750 mark.
    How?

The watch does look effective with the red second hand. Hasn't someone on here put a red second hand on a Sub or was I dreaming again.

How?
    Email Ginault and ask for a discount.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Email Ginault and ask for a discount.
    What he said.....

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Trying to read up on the background of this company is hard work. This is the impression I got: someone behind it used to work in the high-accuracy replica world; they realised that there was a niche in the market for a blend of everyone's favourite bits from the various Subs, and that by going legit they could also charge far more; the source of the movements are mysterious, but sufficient work is done to them by the manufacturer to ensure good quality.

As I said, that's purely an impression derived from trying to make sense of second-hand info found online, and could well be total nonsense.
    From what I read when I was tempted to buy one of these, the chap who makes them was pretty much bang to rights identified as a (former?) fake-maker. If one can get past that, the watches get very good reviews. I remember Raj owned one and praised them very highly indeed. Well done to the OP for identifying and getting a watch he actually likes.

I asked about the discounts back in April and got this reply, but the requirements to post about their watches may have changed since then. Fair play to them for providing the discount up front and not requiring a positive review in exchange.

Thank you for your email and interest in the Ocean Rover.

The promotion we have going on right now is as follows:

Use coupon code "openbox45" during checkout for a written openbox review of the Ocean-Rover on a forum of your choice in any language to receive 45% off.

Or "youtube50" during checkout for a video review of the Ocean-Rover on Youtube, Vimeo or any video sharing platform of your choice to receive 50% off. Again this review can be done in any language of our choice.

In addition, if you can help us by posting your Ocean Rover's pictures on any social media platform such as Instagram or Facebook, and like our Facebook page and follow us on Instagram, we can provide you with an additional 3% discount via Paypal after you sent us the link to confirm it.

Thanks for posting, out of interest - what's the crown like on these? Guessing it's just a standard affair and they didn't go the whole hog with a trip lock?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    Thanks for posting, out of interest - what's the crown like on these? Guessing it's just a standard affair and they didn't go the whole hog with a trip lock?
    I don't know enough about the trip lock to say for sure but when you unscrew it, it pops out with a solid feel and you can see a rubber ring.

Thanks for posting about Ginault a brand i had only fleetingly heard of. I'm in between watch funds as it were & miles away from my bucket list seadweller & right now even from replacing my old Seamaster. I like blue faced watches & this is a nice combination. I do have a Steinhart OVM 1 which i really like & would be more than happy with one of these too. I couldn't justify at full retail as thats getting toward a used Seamaster territory & would take that instead. But like the OWC brand its a nice example of a sub diver

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    If bought the Gold/Blue bezel model and absolutely love it- I work in the Motor Trade where Subs are rife, have been asked a few times what model Sub it is- People are quite surprised when I start telling them, it's a Ginault made....ahem in America, sometimes just easier to let them have a good look and feel the quality. So far everyone has been impressed and they weren't just being polite either :-)

It's ok but I don't think it would get seven hundred and fifty of my shemolians.

It is a nice enough homage with a few changes to differentiate it from the real thing much like Marcello C, Steinhart, Christopher Ward, etc produce

My only slight issue is the need for the Rolex criticism for justification, I have bought/owned a lot of homages but I bought them because they were a design/style I like at a price I could afford or felt comfortable wearing for work etc

The bracelet is too close to the line of 'copy' in my opinion which puts me off a little

The maxi case gets a hell of a lot of grief on here (6 digit subs generally) opinions/preferences are fine but it is not universally accepted that the case is ugly just not to everybodies taste, the earlier sub cases/lugs do absolutely nothing for me but again that is just my opinion

It seems you are very happy with the watch, I hope you enjoy it for many years

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    It is a nice enough homage with a few changes to differentiate it from the real thing much like Marcello C, Steinhart, Christopher Ward, etc produce

My only slight issue is the need for the Rolex criticism for justification, I have bought/owned a lot of homages but I bought them because they were a design/style I like at a price I could afford or felt comfortable wearing for work etc

The bracelet is too close to the line of 'copy' in my opinion which puts me off a little

The maxi case gets a hell of a lot of grief on here (6 digit subs generally) opinions/preferences are fine but it is not universally accepted that the case is ugly just not to everybodies taste, the earlier sub cases/lugs do absolutely nothing for me but again that is just my opinion

It seems you are very happy with the watch, I hope you enjoy it for many years
    Thanks. I hope I put my original post in terms of design preferences rather than criticism. I certainly wouldn't say I hate the newer case, that's a bit strong, I just prefer the slimmer lugs. As does Rolex apparently, given they are used on the previous two Sea Dwellers and the DSSD.