29 24.58%
  • something else

37 31.36%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am in need of a diving watch

Craftsman

I am in need of a diving watch

Dear all,

after not much thinking, and taking advantage of the Xmas days that is almost here I 've decided that it is a good timing to add to my current collection my first diving watch.

At the moment I am in between two, the Blancpain fifty fathoms and the Rolex submariner ND (specifically the 14060 as I like it more than the most recent one).

the current collection is this:

which one you would recommend for me and my current collection? The 6th position is awaiting to be filled.

If any other suggestion please feel free to mention, my budget is up to 6-7k and 2nd hand options are also welcome.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort.

Best regards,
    Evangelos

Master
    Love the OQ and IWC. The BP is big and heavy. The 14060m is small and light. They're really very different. I'd go Rolex, but I don't really understand cross shopping the two.

Where do you go diving, to what depths, what kind of durations, cave diving, night diving, wreck diving, we can offer lots of advice, but be specific.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I would recommend the Rolex for actual diving. It's sturdier and on bracelet.

I voted for the BP though for the time spent out of the water. I am wearing my Bathyscape right now and the finish really is elite.

Both are arguably 'The' dive watch. Can't really go wrong with either.

Master
    For actual, real world diving, something not too big, but with large, clear hands, good lume and a full 0-60 minute bezel with full markers, is better than something big or with small skinny hands. The bigger it is, the more likely it is to get knocked; the smaller the hands, the harder they are to read as it gets darker at depth. On that basis the BP is probably a bit too big; both it and the 14060 lack the full 60 minute markers. A £200 Seiko SRP777 would be a better choice than either. As a Royal Navy diver officer I mostly used my Seiko 6309 (the original to the SRP777 remake), as did other Navy divers, who preferred it to the issued Rolex. The CWC that came along a little later would also be a very good choice. Either is affordable enough that you can risk it on a dive (loss or damage risk) in a way that you might prefer not to do with a £5000 Rolex. You can get the CWC in quartz or auto versions, with or without a date and in black (SBS issue) or stainless steel finish. I had a drawer full of these in one RN job, and the lume was spectacular. They also have the credibility of having been the watch that replaced the Rolex MilSub in RN service.

If you want to go a bit further up-market, the Omega SMP 22X4 models (this one is the quartz 2264) is a nice sporty watch, not too expensive to buy (used) or fix, and the quartz version is especially robust. The sword hands are lovely to look at and the legibility is superb. It also has a full 60 minute marker bezel.

OTOH, if you want a diver-style watch to wear everyday, time your cooking or parking, that's good with shorts or a suit, it's hard to go past the 14060. No cyclops to get in the way; classic looks, great everyday wearable size. It's the one I'd go for of your three options; but if I were diving and wanting to use it for diving, it probably wouldn't be my first choice.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 15th November 2017 at 04:44.

That's a class reply Jack

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

For £6k I'd buy a Seiko MM300 and Seiko SLA017. And you'd have a couple of grand left. Both watches are better for actual diving than the 2 you mentioned. The SLA017 is gorgeous.

If it was desk dive duty I'd go for the BP all day long - that's a lovely watch.

I suspect the actual merits of a watch's diving capability is not high on the OP's criteria. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Blog Entries

re

IMO for a BEATER Diver I do like the Aqualung 500m, Cressi 500m, Divex 500m, Poseidon 500m type case etc etc, the only downside being springbar holes are shallow, so a RHINO strap or NATO is recommended!.

Regs

Bry

For the gentleman desk-diver I would recommend an Omega SMP. For the actual diver the Seiko Marinemaster SBDB009 "Tuna" is hard to go past.

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guide...llectors-guide

Master
    Chopard LUC Pro One, preferably on bracelet – there’s one on SC at the moment.
    Girrard-Perregaux Sea Hawk II (John Harrison model preferably) – a few on C24, inc RG version and ceramic, albeit two need to be imported which will push you slightly over max budget.
    Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver (Blue Surf)
    Carl F Bucherer Patravi ScubaTec
    Eterna KonTiki Diver, inc bronze LE

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming this is for desk diving rather than anything "in anger" and seeing that you have Rolex covered already I'd go for the Blancpain every time.

The FF is quite a bit bigger than what you have now, so on that basis maybe you'd be better off with the 14060, I'm not even sure they are comparable really, "the" first dive watches aside, the sub is very workman like against a much shinier dressy FF.

Banned
    Two watches in the poll, so two options for a vote, but you get a load of patronisation, this place is mad. I voted Sub as it suits both in and out of the water and easier/not cost effective to change any damages parts (bezel). The results here will have you own a cheap Seiko and donate the rest of your budget to charity, so please try not to be influenced.

Have you considered a Tudor Pelaos or Black Bay, both great value!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Looking at the size of the watches in your current collection I guess the Rolex would fit most. I would encourage you to go to a Blancpain dealership and try on the FF? However, for me I have owned both and now have the FF (but along with a SDc4000).

The finish is is a step up on the FF. I presume you aren’t looking to dive with this watch?

Others to consider would be IWC perhaps?

Good response above on a real world diver, but, as bonkers as it sounds, if you were looking for something a little more unusual (both of your choices are excellent watches, by the way), the PITA Barcelona dive watches are really rather wonderful. The new, slimmer Steam model was on display at SalonQP and was very impressive indeed. It's a fun thing, hard as nails, looks very different, and has an innovative winding / setting system. At 6kEUR I was quite tempted...

Journeyman
    Thanks very much Jack for bringing the Seiko SPR777 to my attention. That looks like an absolutely brilliant bargain and a real looker too.

I voted for the BP as I don't believe the OP is actually planning to go diving in this watch (I could be wrong!).

The Rolex is undoubtedly a classic, but it's so copied (and mimicked) that, like an AC Cobra, it doesn't hold a lot of appeal for me.

The Fifty Fathoms, on the other hand, is my favourite watch (that I don't own), so gets the nod from me.

M.

PS If you're actually going diving, something sub £200 from Seiko or Citizen would be my choice.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Make sure to check the SRP77* CHAPTER RING and BEZEL PIP alignment before buying.

Cheers

Bry

Master
    Something else....

Planet ocean with orange bezel......collection needs a bit of colour...👍

Master
    BP is much more exclusive - I've never even seen one in the wild

The newer are Omega Planet Oceans are very tempting.
    In the sensible (42mm) size you can now get the one with the 8500 movement, with a good reserve, hour hacking for timezone hopping and the silicon balance for total anti-magnetic properties.
    Those are all impressively useful tech upgrades for a watch.
    Dave

Were you wearing a watch when you took this picture?
    If not then maybe you have two spaces to fill.
    Decision made.

Looking at the size of OP’s existing watches then if a 45mm BP FF may possibly be too large, and Evangelos has said second hand is not a problem, then how about the 40mm BP FF from the Triology series?

I was very tempted to go for one of these as same size as my 40mm 14060M but was put off the Triology FF due to it’s non-hacking movement.

But non-hacking may not be an issue for OP or the newer 45mm FF may have a hacking function?

I voted for the 14060 😁

Cheers!
    Mark

I have owned a 14060m (2 liner and 4 liner) and a FF. Clearly the FF is a cut above in quality terms and although a lot is made of its size it didn't feel big due to the curved lugs. The 14060m is a good everyday watch and that gets my vote on this occasion.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
    ...how about the 40mm BP FF from the Triology series?

Cheers!
    Mark
    Good choice, but I'll raise you the best watch BP has ever made (under the assumption it's within the OP's budget):

https://www.bernardwatch.com/BlancPa...ries-II/BLA124

I was offered one of those NOS for $6,000 once and didn't buy it. Very stupid mistake.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That's a very nice well thought out collection already. You probably don't need much advice

Banned
    I’d go for the ND Rolex sub over the BP FF but if your looking at actually diving with the watch I’d go with a Seiko MM as mentioned earlier

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The ff is 45mm but wears like a much smaller watch. The feel and finish of the watch are superb. I have never had a ceramic sub so could not comment on it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

I've owned both and if it's desk diving you are looking for nothing beats the FF. The quality is head and shoulders above the sub.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    The ff is 45mm but wears like a much smaller watch. The feel and finish of the watch are superb. I have never had a ceramic sub so could not comment on it.

Be very careful buying before you’ve tried one on. The FF is every millimetre of its 44mm and wears accordingly. Members mean well, but everyone’s wrist wears differently and the FF is a big watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Be very careful buying before you’ve tried one on. The FF is every millimetre of its 44mm and wears accordingly. Members mean well, but everyone’s wrist wears differently and the FF is a big watch.
    Sound advice. I would never buy before trying a watch on for size, unless buying at a price that I knew I could move it on if I didn't like it. Took that chance only once, and thankfully I love it.

Craftsman
    Most certainly a Pelagos.

Craftsman
    Dear all, thank you very much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

As for my diving preferences, I simply do not dive to any depth deeper than 30cm and this happens once or twice per year, maximum, when I am by accident in a place that is simultaneously warm and has a sea. In other words I am the typical desk diver who needs a diver watch to convince myself that am more adventurous that what I currently am (or am not).

Hence the two relatively expensive watches that are practically not suitable for diving, as many of you already mentioned.

seems that the submariner is taking the lead at this one.. how about some other 'secondary' options that I thought I would have heard if I had clarified that the watch is not for actual diving, like the Breguet marine, like the Panerai submersible? any comments?

Thank you all for your time and effort, wish all have happy times, literally and metaphorically!

Evangelos

Craftsman
    Leftfield choice of Pelagos LHD :-)

Unique numbered caseback and likely limited numbers made. Touch of red.

Master
    While I voted for the 14060, another watch I would consider is the “tribute to mil-spec” fifty fathoms. At 40mm, it is a more wearable option than the standard model.

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    For actual, real world diving, something not too big, but with large, clear hands, good lume and a full 0-60 minute bezel with full markers, is better than something big or with small skinny hands. The bigger it is, the more likely it is to get knocked; the smaller the hands, the harder they are to read as it gets darker at depth. On that basis the BP is probably a bit too big; both it and the 14060 lack the full 60 minute markers. A £200 Seiko SRP777 would be a better choice than either. As a Royal Navy diver officer I mostly used my Seiko 6309 (the original to the SRP777 remake), as did other Navy divers, who preferred it to the issued Rolex. The CWC that came along a little later would also be a very good choice. Either is affordable enough that you can risk it on a dive (loss or damage risk) in a way that you might prefer not to do with a £5000 Rolex. You can get the CWC in quartz or auto versions, with or without a date and in black (SBS issue) or stainless steel finish. I had a drawer full of these in one RN job, and the lume was spectacular. They also have the credibility of having been the watch that replaced the Rolex MilSub in RN service.

Very good reply

but why did you all prefer the Seiko to the Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Very good reply

but why did you all prefer the Seiko to the Rolex?
    Likely the same reason I do. The Seiko has better readability - bigger hands, fully indexed bezel and excellent lume.

Master
    Living for the here and now , but mindful of the past.
    Looking at the OP's collection so far, to me the obvious choice is the Fifty Fathoms . There are some iconic watches in the box already, that say ' I have a ' by that I mean, I have an Omega and it's the classic Speedmaster, I have a JLC and it's a Reverso and so on . If you want a dive watch that says it's iconic , then both choices are hard to argue with but .....and no surprise here I would definitely go for the Fifty Fathoms . It's hard to describe but it offers a choice which is different to the Rolex ( and he already owns one of them ) . As mentioned it not a watch everyone owns or has a copy of and its not much bigger in real life on the wrist than either the OP's speedy or IWC. It offers all the things the OP requires and adds another name to the collection . In terms of quality, it's top draw and the doomed sapphire and bezel give the watch a slightly more warm look than the more toolish Rolex choice. The standard sailcloth strap is extremely comfortable and the stepped dial detail gives the watch depth. It's got a 5 day power reserve and lume that very few can compete with . Yes it's 45mm but it really does wear much more like a 43/44 mm watch due to the down turned lugs and case design which is like an up side down hamburger in that the case is curved in a way that helps it conform to your wrist nicely . I would strongly recommend the OP tries one on to understand this first hand. The Rolex is a good watch and if bought new will hold its money better, but the Fifty Fathoms just has more class in my opinion and that fits with what the OP already has . Both watches I've owned and both watches I like, but given the reasons I've stated above only one winner here in my opinion . I've been through a few watches in my time, and had countless Rolex models most of which have been Sub's but since I've had a Fifty Fathoms in my collection I've never once thought of going back to the Rolex camp. Both watches are good, but the choice would be clear for me with what the OP wants from the watch and what he already owns . Wrist size is important for a big watch like the FIfty Fathoms but as said already, it doesn't wear as big as the paper dimensions would indicate and if that is a negative factor he needs to consider, then Blancpain do do smaller versions of the Fifty Fathoms, so it's just a case of hunting one down, which can be half the fun .
    Last edited by BryanEbru1512; 16th November 2017 at 08:27.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dietcokeman View Post
    Looking at the OP's collection so far, to me the obvious choice is the Fifty Fathoms . There are some iconic watches in the box already, that say ' I have a ' by that I mean, I have an Omega and it's the classic Speedmaster, I have a JLC and it's a Reverso and so on . If you want a dive watch that says it's iconic , then both choices are hard to argue with but .....and no surprise here I would definitely go for the Fifty Fathoms . It's hard to describe but it offers a choice which is different to the Rolex ( and he already owns one of them ) . As mentioned it not a watch everyone owns or has a copy of and its not much bigger in real life on the wrist than either the OP's speedy or IWC. It offers all the things the OP requires and adds another name to the collection . In terms of quality, it's top draw and the doomed sapphire and bezel give the watch a slightly more warm look than the more toolish Rolex choice. The standard sailcloth strap is extremely comfortable and the stepped dial detail gives the watch depth. It's got a 5 day power reserve and lume that very few can compete with . Yes it's 45mm but it really does wear much more like a 43/44 mm watch due to the down turned lugs and case design which is like an up side down hamburger in that the case is curved in a way that helps it conform to your wrist nicely . I would strongly recommend the OP tries one on to understand this first hand. The Rolex is a good watch and if bought new will hold its money better, but the Fifty Fathoms just has more class in my opinion and that fits with what the OP already has . Both watches I've owned and both watches I like, but given the reasons I've stated above only one winner here in my opinion . I've been through a few watches in my time, and had countless Rolex models most of which have been Sub's but since I've had a Fifty Fathoms in my collection I've never once thought of going back to the Rolex camp. Both watches are good, but the choice would be clear for me with what the OP wants from the watch and what he already owns . Wrist size is important for a big watch like the FIfty Fathoms but as said already, it doesn't wear as big as the paper dimensions would indicate and if that is a negative factor he needs to consider, then Blancpain do do smaller versions of the Fifty Fathoms, so it's just a case of hunting one down, which can be half the fun .
    Well put. I could not agree more.

Master
    I've had to vote FF because, as much as I love a good Sub, the FF is considerably less ubiquitous and is the genuine grandfather of the genre. Having tried one on recently, it does (as others have noted) wear much neater than the quoted 45mm size, and I say that as someone who usually cannot wear anything over 42mm without it looking like an ashtray. Fit and finish are flawless. It's definitely, IMHO, the more interesting and original choice.

SGR

FF, Ace watch and you're even cooler having one and diving with it!

If you want to go a bit further up-market, the Omega SMP 22X4 models (this one is the quartz 2264) is a nice sporty watch, not too expensive to buy (used) or fix, and the quartz version is especially robust. The sword hands are lovely to look at and the legibility is superb. It also has a full 60 minute marker bezel.

OTOH, if you want a diver-style watch to wear everyday, time your cooking or parking, that's good with shorts or a suit, it's hard to go past the 14060. No cyclops to get in the way; classic looks, great everyday wearable size. It's the one I'd go for of your three options; but if I were diving and wanting to use it for diving, it probably wouldn't be my first choice.
    I've been look at the CWC divers and am edging towards a quartz, but having used them on the job can you say how robust they are? Cheers!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    FF, Ace watch and you're even cooler having one and diving with it!

this is a very cool pic. definitely not the way I was thinking to use my prospective diver, fortunately or unfortunately.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Routers View Post
    Were you wearing a watch when you took this picture?
    If not then maybe you have two spaces to fill.
    Decision made.
    am afraid I do not want 7 watches, I only need six and I have no plans to increase then any further without flipping one first. I think 6 is ok for me to enjoy, more is more like a set for decoration rather than a wearing accessory, at least for my monotonous everyday activities.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogdensnut View Post
    I've been look at the CWC divers and am edging towards a quartz, but having used them on the job can you say how robust they are? Cheers!

Back in the day, the first quartz models that I had came with tritium lume and lumed, 60-click acrylic bezels, and were supremely legible, underwater, on the ship’s bridge at night, or under the UV lights of the girlie bars in Manila. The original crystal was mineral glass, and the case had a brushed finish which stood up very well to naval use. With fixed lug bars and a NATO strap there was little chance of losing it, which was just as well, as we had to pay for equipment we lost.

The current versions have a 120-click aluminium bezel, with a lume pip; sapphire glass (less chance of scratching it) and superb SL lume. You can choose between blasted matte or polished finish - the former may be better for hiding the scuffs that you’ll inevitably pick up during diving. They still have fixed lug bars, which is good, and so need a NATO or Zulu strap, but that should help keep it safe and allow you to strap it on outside your suit.

The original issued versions were the No date quartz models; the SBS later got the black finish day / date versions, both in quartz, which would be preferable for durability, and I suppose that the absence of a date wheel would be one less thing to go wrong. So I’d choose the quartz version over the auto for robustness, and only go for the day / date model (which I think you can also get in a steel finish) if I felt I needed the function for everyday use; clearly, that’s not really essential on a dive; though the absence of a date was one reason I didn’t use mine much out of the water. My navigational duties meant I was constantly having to look up tide tables and nautical almanacs for which I needed to know the date.

It IS a classic watch, and the new prices have been steadily rising; but improvements like the sapphire crystal and the 120-click bezel do help justify the cost. It’s more expensive than the Seiko, but one could argue that Seiko’s mass production and known QC issues justify its lower price. If I were buying one today I’d probably choose the CWC and I have frequently thought about chopping my SMP Quartz in and replacing it with a CWC.

Back in the day, the first quartz models that I had came with tritium lume and lumed, 60-click acrylic bezels, and were supremely legible, underwater, on the ship’s bridge at night, or under the UV lights of the girlie bars in Manila. The original crystal was mineral glass, and the case had a brushed finish which stood up very well to naval use. With fixed lug bars and a NATO strap there was little chance of losing it, which was just as well, as we had to pay for equipment we lost.

The current versions have a 120-click aluminium bezel, with a lume pip; sapphire glass (less chance of scratching it) and superb SL lume. You can choose between blasted matte or polished finish - the former may be better for hiding the scuffs that you’ll inevitably pick up during diving. They still have fixed lug bars, which is good, and so need a NATO or Zulu strap, but that should help keep it safe and allow you to strap it on outside your suit.

The original issued versions were the No date quartz models; the SBS later got the black finish day / date versions, both in quartz, which would be preferable for durability, and I suppose that the absence of a date wheel would be one less thing to go wrong. So I’d choose the quartz version over the auto for robustness, and only go for the day / date model (which I think you can also get in a steel finish) if I felt I needed the function for everyday use; clearly, that’s not really essential on a dive; though the absence of a date was one reason I didn’t use mine much out of the water. My navigational duties meant I was constantly having to look up tide tables and nautical almanacs for which I needed to know the date.

It IS a classic watch, and the new prices have been steadily rising; but improvements like the sapphire crystal and the 120-click bezel do help justify the cost. It’s more expensive than the Seiko, but one could argue that Seiko’s mass production and known QC issues justify its lower price. If I were buying one today I’d probably choose the CWC and I have frequently thought about chopping my SMP Quartz in and replacing it with a CWC.
    That's really helpful- thank you!!!

If you just want a dive watch for poncing about in, pretending to be James Bond, either of your nominated watches will do the job.
    But...
    If you want a watch suitable for actual diving try a Sinn U1

Sent using my finger and the TZ-UK app
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Master
    There's nothing that Sinn can do that the sub can't, all while looking better and being less needlessly large. No mechanical watch is a practical choice.