closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: LG oled55b7v set up

LG oled55b7v set up

I got the oled55b7 last week from richer sounds.
    Problem is our family are still debating the best picture settings
    One day we are happy then we spend a hour messing about with settings
    Any advice or opinion welcome please
    Andy

Turn off all the picture enhancement settings, back off sharpness to it's lowest, set picture to 'natural' not 'vivid', set the brightness and contrast so you can see detail in a black jacket e.g.creases in the sleeve. Don't whack the contrast too high and look for natural colours in flesh tones, grass etc.
    Last edited by Rod; 14th November 2017 at 22:04.

I believe THX certified blurays have a screen that aids picture set-up if you have any

Master
    There’s advice on colour setings from very clued up av people online i think. I struggled with getting the colours etc right on my LG tv a few years ago and it’s been set since. I’ll have a look to see if i’ve got the site saved anywhere.

Craftsman
    http://www.avsforum.com/ But they can only take you so far without calibration equipment. Every TV is a little bit different, which is why the adjustments are there in the first place.

Red face

With a TV of that quality it's worth spending another £250 to get it professionally ISF calibrated. Makes a significant difference and you won't have to play around with any settings ever again. :)

A good calibrator will calibrate for all your usual sources (e.g. Sky HD, Blu-ray, Netflix, 4K, etc.). I had my 55E6 done a few months back and am very impressed.

Thanks guys the advice. Ironic thing is the oled b7v was £1700
    And I also got 2 other TVs for the kitchen and bedroom and they were £600. But they seem spot on
    After hyping up the oled to my Mrs I feel a bit deflated to be honest after seeing it in the richer sounds showroom where it looked amazing

Try these:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/...-oled/settings

I used this site last year when setting up my B6 and have been happy with them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    Every TV is a little bit different, which is why the adjustments are there in the first place.
    So why don't they sort them before they leave the factory?! This is the TV I want. Looked at Samsungs a few weeks back and the salesman said they could supply a £50 DVD to calibrate. Seems bizarre to sell you a brand new expensive TV with no decent default setting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hack View Post
    With a TV of that quality it's worth spending another £250 to get it professionally ISF calibrated. Makes a significant difference and you won't have to play around with any settings ever again. :)

A good calibrator will calibrate for all your usual sources (e.g. Sky HD, Blu-ray, Netflix, 4K, etc.). I had my 55E6 done a few months back and am very impressed.
    If I'd spent £1700 on a TV I wouldn't want to spend £250 (15% of it's cost) on getting it calibrated.

Why do they need calibration - even if every TV is (and I imagine only marginally) different it could be done during testing at the factory and those sources are hardly unique?

I don’t want want to spend £200plus to make my Tele work how I saw it in the showroom when the salesman sold it to me after forking out £1700
    Also I’ve noticed the lip sync is out a lot of the time. The sound comes out before the lips move

Craftsman
    Turn off the Dolby Atmos settings, unless of course you have an Atmos theater that you're using the TV in. That shpuld take care of the sync trouble.

It’s quite difficult to get OLED TVs set up correctly - I have the B6, and it took me quite a bit to get it how I like it. (Normally I can do it pretty quickly).

I find that if you follow the AVphile’s advice, you end up with an image that is technically correct, but lacking a bit in impact - especially if you’re in anything other than a pitch-black room. I prefer a bit of oomph, without overdoing it and creating something too artificial.

I tend to go for “standard” mode. Turn OLED light down a bit (but still about 80), contrast about 80, brightness 51 or 52, colour 45. That’s a good starting point for SDR. HDR/DolbyVision seems to very dependant on what look they are going for, but again, lowering the colour and raising the brightness slightly seem to give a natural but impactful image.

Much as id like to turn off all the motion processing (which I do when I can - in a dark room you’re less sensitive to flicker), there’s often too much judder for me without it. If you put it on user with the top slider between 0 and 2, it doesn’t introduce too many artifacts.

In HDR you can actually put the dynamic contrast on low, and it avoids a bit of black crush without much impact on the rest of the picture.

The lip sync is a fault of all big TVs in my experience, but I think I’m quite sensitive to it - at least the LG let’s you adjust it for each input, so it just involves messing around with it.

Red face

But it's SO worth it, especially for a TV that you may keep for a few years. ISF calibration needs to be done with the TV in its natural viewing environment - not at the factory. It theoretically produces the best picture quality that your panel is capable of producing (great 'depth', fantastic colour, 'pop' and shadow detail, etc.). Look at it like a pre-service of a TV which will then never need to be serviced again. :)

I'm not an ISF calibrator, by the way... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    I don’t want want to spend £200plus to make my Tele work how I saw it in the showroom when the salesman sold it to me after forking out £1700
    Also I’ve noticed the lip sync is out a lot of the time. The sound comes out before the lips move

You can buy a set up Blu-ray called Disney WOW. It takes a couple of hours but it's well worth it.

I had an e mail off Richer sounds this morning
    Pretty naff response really. The Manager said “well it is the bottom of the OLED range “

Settings are very subjective so just set it up how you like it. In my experience you'll get used to it and will seem fine after a while.

What do you expect the dealer to do - the TV is working - if you can't decide which settings you/family like that's down to you.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 15th November 2017 at 12:22.

Craftsman
    Pretty naff response really. The Manager said “well it is the bottom of the OLED range “
    The LG OLED range all use the same panels - the only difference up the range is better audio. So your "bottom of the range" (£1700!!!) TV should be capable of the same picture quality as the "top of the range", just with crappier sound

From AVForums (https://www.avforums.com/article/bes...arison.13802): "Although technically the entry level model in LG’s 2017 OLED range, the B7 has exactly the same panel and picture performance as every other LG model this year. So you get support for wide colour gamuts and high dynamic range – specifically HDR10, Dolby Vision and HLG."

Craftsman
    You’re within your rights to send it back if you’re not happy with it but don’t hang around. You might fare better with a brighter good quality LED set such as the Sony xe900. Bit cheaper too. The manager at Richer Sounds sounds like a moron. I’d expect better from them tbh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you noticing lip sync issues on a particular source? My Sky Q box has a setting to add a delay to audio. I use it. I also use the delay on my amp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Are you noticing lip sync issues on a particular source? My Sky Q box has a setting to add a delay to audio. I use it. I also use the delay on my amp.
    Someone else mentioned synch issues and jcm3 said "Turn off the Dolby Atmos settings, unless of course you have an Atmos theater that you're using the TV in. That shpuld take care of the sync trouble." if that's relevant to your specific issue.

Master
    Wow! I would have expected that from Currys but certainly not what the RS brand is about. I'd be complaining about that and certainly seeking to get my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Yes Phil. I’m also using it with my sky. Q

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Wow! I would have expected that from Currys but certainly not what the RS brand is about. I'd be complaining about that and certainly seeking to get my money back.
    That was my first thought; Richer Sounds have created a phenomenal reputation for customer service (something I've seen first hand on more than one occasion) and I would think head office might take a keen interest.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    That was my first thought; Richer Sounds have created a phenomenal reputation for customer service (something I've seen first hand on more than one occasion) and I would think head office might take a keen interest.
    I picked the manger up on this and said about they use the same panels.
    He then said the teles are a bit like cars they look the same but all have different engines
    In the teles case processors. But I thought all the LG oled s had the same insides

But I thought all the LG oled s had the same insides
    I was under this impression as well - the press certainly seem to say the the panel and processing circuitry are exactly the same in 2017 models. (I think there are minor differences in the 2016 ones). The mains differences are casing and sound systems.

Sounds like he’s taking out of his subwoofer.

Professional calibration is well worth the money on a new OLED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Professional calibration is well worth the money on a new OLED
    Can you explain what that actually involves? I spent ages getting my 5 year old Sony right and it made a big difference, but what does a professional do? Just interested.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Can you explain what that actually involves? I spent ages getting my 5 year old Sony right and it made a big difference, but what does a professional do? Just interested.
    I think they fit a £500 HDMI cable

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Me too! I found this:

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/what-...v-calibration/

Friend who is into these things trawls TV forums to see what settings other people recommend and he seems happy enough to optimise his viewing experience that way (rather than chuck a further £200+ at it).
    Last edited by David_D; 15th November 2017 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Me too! I found this:

https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/what-...v-calibration/

Friend who is into these things trawls TV forums to see what settings other people recommend and he seems happy enough to optimise his viewing experience that way (rather than chuck a further £200+ at it).
    Thanks, that was very helpful, exactly what I wanted to know.

I'll probably stick to making adjustments myself using some of the setup sources. As my wife doesn't even care if we are watching SD or HD I think I'm on my own anyway :).

Craftsman
    AFAIK the LG OLEDs use the same panels across the range. The main difference is the sound omitted.

The reason TVs are not calibrated at a factory is that every room they go into is different. Different window positions, different lighting, viewing distance etc... I’ve recently moved house and my old picture settings need some tuning as my new lounge is much darker with less ambient light.

“Movie” mode and typically the best on TVs. Make sure all the colour enhancements and ambient settings are set to OFF.

Master
    A little fishing village on the banks of the mersey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    No need to go head office leave a reveiw on trust pilot, there is a guy on there deals with bad reveiws very effectivly.

Craftsman
    Just bought the 55B7V from Curry’s. £1490 with discounts. Still more than I’d like but hoping the Oled is worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by tswatch66 View Post
    Just bought the 55B7V from Curry’s. £1490 with discounts. Still more than I’d like but hoping the Oled is worth it!

That’s a fantastic price.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I dont think that price includes the £250 set up fee :D

Did you manage to get your settings more to your liking len?

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    I dont think that price includes the £250 set up fee :D

Did you manage to get your settings more to your liking len?
    Yes mate
    I put a comment on trust pilot like some one suggested and within an hour richer sounds called me and helped me set it up

That’s a fantastic price.
    Currys are currently doing it got £1349.10 online (with voucher code LSTV10) so you might want to have a word about that.

I bought the 55E7 for £1499 on Friday night (from Peter Tyson) but that deal has finished, I think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Currys are currently doing it got £1349.10 online (with voucher code LSTV10) so you might want to have a word about that.

I bought the 55E7 for £1499 on Friday night (from Peter Tyson) but that deal has finished, I think.
    Just checked and they’ve removed that LSTV10 code. So £1499 less another 5% via Quidco. Great deal anyhow.

...but hoping the Oled is worth it!
    It is.

My LG OLED knocks the spots off my old Panasonic plasmas.

£1499 at richer sounds with 6 yr guarantee

Those are some great prices for the B7. The B6 was more like £1800 or so this time last year. They’re obviously getting production costs down (especially given the weaker £).

I’d like to see smaller size OLEDs (for a “bedroom size” tv), but I’m not sure that’s going to happen anytime soon.

I've been very happy with my B6, which I got for £1599 a year ago. The prices now for the B7 and E7 are excellent.