closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Rolex to enjoy...

Buying a Rolex to enjoy...

Ok, you've seen the threads detailing the investment pieces, the profiteering etc. I've always admired Rolex watches, but always been at a lower price point before now, so I've always followed the rise in Omega etc as an alternative.

If you had some spare cash in the interim say between 5k to 10k, that you can't really afford to lose much on, and *might* need to sell on after appreciating and enjoying. Where is the safest place to put it into a Rolex? I've always liked Submariners and Sea dwellers but where truly is the safest place you can put your money at the moment?

Edit - please read the post - not to make a profit!
    Last edited by Unlight; 14th November 2017 at 21:22.

Master
    So, not buying to enjoy then.

i wouldn't put money i couldn't afford to lose into a watch, even if it is something beginning with R and made by magic swiss gnomes deep in the dungeons of their fairy tale castle.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    So, not buying to enjoy then.
    I'd disagree with that. Buying to enjoy in the interim, as it had never been an option before now. Surely thats ok as a watch enthusiast?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    4 or 5 digit subs/seadwellers/gmts. STEEL.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlight View Post
    I'd disagree with that. Buying to enjoy in the interim, as it had never been an option before now. Surely thats ok as a watch enthusiast?
    Ignore the holier than thou b*llshit. It's perfectly understandable to wish to enjoy a watch whilst being confident that you won't take a bath if you have to sell it.

A Rolex is for life, not just for Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    4 or 5 digit subs/seadwellers/gmts. STEEL.
    Won't go far wrong with this. Or a 116520 if you can find one for £10k. I'd probably look for a full set 16600.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ignore the holier than thou b*llshit. It's perfectly understandable to wish to enjoy a watch whilst being confident that you won't take a bath if you have to sell it.
    Exactly, I've always enjoying buying, selling, trading watches on here from your Seikos to your Omega Planet Oceans. I just haven't been in the position to purchase into the likes of Rolex before despite admiring them.

It really is a crystal ball job and no one knows the answer. It is certainly risky paying a premium to get a hot watch like the Ceramic Daytona, D-Blue, SD43 etc, but great if you are lucky enough to get one at RRP especially before any price rises.

Lesser desirable models, or should I rephrase that as easily available are also a gamble as are any watches with precious metal.

Personally I would suggest one of the five digit sports models, Sub, SD, GMT or Daytona. Buy the best example that you can afford and in today's market you will be paying top dollar, but if trends continue like they have then there is no reason why these won't continue to do well. A lot of people already look back to the pre-Ceramic era fondly and these watches are generally getting harder to find.

I think most of the decent four digit references are already out of the budget range that you suggest.

Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It really is a crystal ball job and no one knows the answer. It is certainly risky paying a premium to get a hot watch like the Ceramic Daytona, D-Blue, SD43 etc, but great if you are lucky enough to get one at RRP especially before any price rises.

Lesser desirable models, or should I rephrase that as easily available are also a gamble as are any watches with precious metal.

Personally I would suggest one of the five digit sports models, Sub, SD, GMT or Daytona. Buy the best example that you can afford and in today's market you will be paying top dollar, but if trends continue like they have then there is no reason why these won't continue to do well. A lot of people already look back to the pre-Ceramic era fondly and these watches are generally getting harder to find.

I think most of the decent four digit references are already out of the budget range that you suggest.

Just my opinion.
    Thanks, would love a SD43 but think thats out now!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlight View Post
    Exactly, I've always enjoying buying, selling, trading watches on here from your Seikos to your Omega Planet Oceans. I just haven't been in the position to purchase into the likes of Rolex before despite admiring them.
    Just remember condition is key and you should be fine with the 4/5's

Grand Master
    Much as I like bimetal models they do lose more money, so on that basis would have to be ruled out unless keeping forever.

The two standout models for me, probably because I like them, are the 116200 Datejust and the 116000 Oyster 36. Both will leave you with change from £5K. Both will lose money initially (20% ish?) but that's only approx. £1K for the Datejust.

Fankly, if you think you may need to sell a watch perhaps it's not wise to buy in the first place? A quick look at second hand prices would answer your question far better than opinions on here.

Paul

Order something like a GMT BLNR from an AD.

If I was a betting man I’d buy the 14060M COSC, and maybe a 1680 (or even a 16610) Sub, still available at a fair price in full sets. Some of the older references were available for a very long time, and then you really need to do a lot more homework in case you over pay for something not 100% original or not quite as desirable another similarly priced watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Fankly, if you think you may need to sell a watch perhaps it's not wise to buy in the first place? A quick look at second hand prices would answer your question far better than opinions on here.

Paul
    Frankly, I think the question is better answered by people who have bought and sold watches. And bought more watches. And got to know the references. And studied the minutae of the watches they love and are in a position to be able to answer accurately regarding models that are stable and rising (sports) and models that aren't (datejusts and ops)

Master
    IMO Ceramic Non Date Submariner will be rock solid for you.
    Wont lose anything, is everyday wearable and just an all round great watch.
    Ive had the date and non-date and if you can do without the date its a much cleaner look.
    As luck would have it Vervs got a 1 month old one on SC at the moment.
    I would consider an explorer too if you like a clean look.
    Last edited by Hood; 14th November 2017 at 21:40.

Perhaps have a look for a BLNR or an LV, cant see you doing too bad on either and a good chance you will get one in reasonable time from an AD

I would choose either over a 5 digit personally and you will have the peace of mind with the 5yr warranty and personally I like the ceramic/fat lugs (I am aware that I am in the minority here)

That being said even a 114060 wont lose you a huge amount and is a bit of a bargain at rrp

‘60s 1675, 1655, 1803 in white gold, 5512, ‘30s Prince, etc. - so much choice without going leftfield.

Master
    The view that if you may have to sell a watch for funds in future then you shouldn't be buying is ridiculous.
    Sports rolex is just about as close to money in the bank as you get.
    On here you can have a sports rolex converted into cash in a couple of days if the need arose.
    Even if Eddie removed this facility there are plenty of avenues to get your watch into cash.
    Frankly its one of the main reasons they are so popular.You can have some fun with them and not lose your shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    ‘60s 1675, 1655, 1803 in white gold, 5512, ‘30s Prince, etc. - so much choice without going leftfield.
    All great potential investment peices, but you won't get any of the above for the £5k to £10k budget suggested in the opening post.

Master
    I’d buy this http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...60-1-month-old safe in the knowledge I had a five year warranty and the most I could ever envisage losing on it would be less than a grand other than in the most dire of circumstances where, frankly, the retained value of a £5k watch would be pretty low down my priorities list.

Either that or another 16610LV - but I’m just greedy for them.

I would probably go in for an old Oyster precision, probably the classiest Rolex watch out there, and we'll within the budget! To be honest though, that is something I would be buying with my heart and not be worrying about its resale value.

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    IMO Ceramic Non Date Submariner will be rock solid for you.
    Wont lose anything, is everyday wearable and just an all round great watch.
    Ive had the date and non-date and if you can do without the date its a much cleaner look.
    As luck would have it Vervs got a 1 month old one on SC at the moment.
    I would consider an explorer too if you like a clean look.
    This, there is no way you will lose money provided you like a ceramic sub I would be pinging a pm before it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    All great potential investment peices, but you won't get any of the above for the £5k to £10k budget suggested in the opening post.
    Think you’d find a reasonable example of all for around the top end of budget (or at least find ads for them on Chrono24).

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    This, there is no way you will lose money provided you like a ceramic sub I would be pinging a pm before it goes.
    It's just gone.

Master
    It's just gone.
    Psychic, that’s what I am just a bloody Psychic.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You're good Bob, I'll give you that ;)

Craftsman
    "Rolex, like having money in the bank"..........

Except what do you do if your Rolex is stolen or you are mugged and your watch isn't insured?

Craftsman
    For me, it would be a used Milgauss. One without the green Sapphire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post

Except what do you do if your Rolex is stolen or you are mugged and your watch isn't insured?
    Bit of a misquote.
    No?

Master
    It's just gone.
    Guilty. Sorry guys, I talked myself into it!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I’d buy this http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...60-1-month-old safe in the knowledge I had a five year warranty and the most I could ever envisage losing on it would be less than a grand other than in the most dire of circumstances where, frankly, the retained value of a £5k watch would be pretty low down my priorities list.

There are few still a few Rolex Sport models out there. All of which can be found as full sets under £10K.

16800 Sub
    16753 Root beer
    16750 GMT
    16700 GMT ( the last SS Pepsi)
    16710 GMT (Coke)
    16760 GMT (Fat lady)
    16550 Explorer
    16660 Seadweller
    16600 Seadweller

Personally, if it were my money for a do anything go anywhere watch, that would have bullet proof residuals, I would buy a Plexy 16750 GMT and if possible a MATT Dial. Or find a really nice 16660 SD.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    For a fairly safe bet I'd go a new BLNR but for a more fun quest a meters first 5513 sub (sure these are still under 10k?)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Roles are definitely overpriced across the board relative to their seventies prices. However, the question is whether they are ever going to seriously lose value. Personally I think the mass market modern stuff might one day, but the older stuff really isn't likely to. I think it's about as safe an investment as you can make outside of a bank and definitely safer than houses. So I'd say get what you like that's more than a decade or two old. Personally I think Explorer II are still marginally underpriced for what they are relative to other Rolex. Mind you, older Tudor look like a real bargain to me -and come with the real advantage of cheap easy spares for most parts.

Grand Master
    Frankly, I think the question is better answered by people who have bought and sold watches. And bought more watches. And got to know the references. And studied the minutae of the watches they love and are in a position to be able to answer accurately regarding models that are stable and rising (sports) and models that aren't (datejusts and ops)
    Apologies, I misread the OP’s post, I thought he was looking at buying NEW Rolex at under 10K but sounded scared of losing his shirt. Thanks for putting me straight, I always find your comments thought-provoking.

Sports Rolex won’t keep going up in price forever, and past performance is never an indication of the future.
    I stand by my comment regarding loss of money etc, if that’s a priority maybe it’s better not to risk the money on a watch.

I’ve bought and sold lots of watches and will continue to do so, apologies for interupting yet another Rolex Sports love-in thread. It may be hard to grasp, but some of us really don’t find them very appealing. I hang on to my Explorer 1 because it’s OK and it holds value, but like most Rolex models it’s a over-rated and I wouldn’t pay current prices for it. I have a couple of nice Datejusts that I prefer, and yes, they’ve gone up in value substantially too.

I genuinely misread the OP’s post but I consider myself suitably castigated, what a friendly place this forum can be.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    a meters first 5513 sub (sure these are still under 10k?)
    Only just, but the best 5513 you can find is a good call. Clearly the Red Sub ship has long sailed, but this and the white dial 1680 are probably the best 4 digit Sub references still available within budget.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Unless you pay some barmy price I think any sub will do to enjoy and in the worst scenario you would make a small loss.

I sold my last modern one at a reasonable current market price based on its condition and think broke even after 4-5 years of ownership
    Last edited by kultschar; 15th November 2017 at 01:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Won't go far wrong with this. Or a 116520 if you can find one for £10k. I'd probably look for a full set 16600.
    This is a good suggestion. I own both and wear the Daytona more. A 16610lv and 16710 would be another two options.

OP: whatever you choose, buy the best one you can find. It's much easier to sell a full set unpolished watch in great condition than it is to sell a dog.

Well if your talking 10k then I would go with 2 fast appreciating classics that are very different, a solid unpolished 16600 Tritium preferably with box and papers, and although not Rolex I would look for an original vintage Speedmaster around mid 70’s or earlier to accompany the Seadweller.

Shop wisely and forgive the box and papers on the above and you might have a couple of grand left for a 1603 date just..

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I faced a similar choice earlier in the year, I went vintage as I think it's a safer bet as the supply is limited. With such a shortage of certain modern models and the premiums attached, a small change in supply could really affect values.

for 10K buy the best 5513 or 1680 you can, and enjoy it as an every day beater - get new crystal, gaskets and triple lock crown if you intend on getting it wet but keep all replacements

and it should keep its value well

Master
    There are some very optimistic views; 'a better investment than a house.'.....really? There is no guarantee that any Rolex will hold value, it's a gamble because we can't predict future tastes and buying patterns. The world is full of people with 'certainties' that let them down. There's a fair chance that markets will fall rather than rise. The future is never just a repeat of the past. It's utterly unpredictable.
    A gamble on watch values is fine...but the smug certainty that prices will rise for ever, isn't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Bit of a misquote.
    No?
    Hood, my friend, I wasn't actually referring to what you had posted. So, No! I have not "misquoted" you either intensionally or unintentionally.

I apologise if I have caused any offence.

Regards,

P.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There are some very optimistic views; 'a better investment than a house.'.....really? There is no guarantee that any Rolex will hold value, it's a gamble because we can't predict future tastes and buying patterns. The world is full of people with 'certainties' that let them down. There's a fair chance that markets will fall rather than rise. The future is never just a repeat of the past. It's utterly unpredictable.
    A gamble on watch values is fine...but the smug certainty that prices will rise for ever, isn't.
    Agreed, you only have to look at the people who invested in Classic Cars several years back, only for their values to then plummet back down.

investing in watches, classic cars or other items that require regular service, housing and insurance cover will invariably eat into ones profits.

Master
    I have a very simplistic MO on Rolex watches.

Buy what you like (or think you like) and hold onto them until you expire the mortal coil. Your kids then inherit them and then they can either keep them or sell them.

This way I don't give a damn whether I will get my money back or not.

Craftsman
    was temped by a very good 5513 recently, about 9k. Even if value doubled in 10 years, after the cost of insurance and servicing it was barely beating the bank in terms of return. And that is considered one of the more safe bets!

Journeyman
    Buying a Rolex to enjoy........but won't lose money on when sold......every answer related to retention of investment rather than enjoyment. Except Mick P, who in my very humble opinion has hit the nail on the head. Buy a watch you love (rolex or not), wear it and leave it to your kids. They can decide the future of it.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    was temped by a very good 5513 recently, about 9k. Even if value doubled in 10 years, after the cost of insurance and servicing it was barely beating the bank in terms of return. And that is considered one of the more safe bets!
    A very dangerous game to consider any watch an investment, even more so to try and calculate what it may return in the future and then compare that with bank rates. £9k for a top grade 5513 seems cheap these days and I personally agree that values will continue to rise. Insurance costs are pennies and I was quoted £350 to service a 14060m movement recently, so the watch may well end up beating your average 0.01% to 1.5% savers interest rates and you get the enjoyment out of owning a superb watch.

If cash return is your main priority don't buy a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by td1596 View Post
    I’d like to see your maths on this.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a very simplistic MO on Rolex watches.

Buy what you like (or think you like) and hold onto them until you expire the mortal coil. Your kids then inherit them and then they can either keep them or sell them.

This way I don't give a damn whether I will get my money back or not.
    +1......have to agree!

Just buy what you like and stop fretting about the value of the watch. Personally I think the Rolex bubble will burst eventually, but if I really wanted one it wouldn’t stop me buying what I liked. You only live once. As I’ve already said, if the prospect of losing money is a significant concern don’t risk it.

Paul