closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't like your watch, it looks crap (to me)

I don't like your watch, it looks crap (to me)

"It's all down to personal taste" One hears this quite often, but is it better to spare other peoples feelings and stay quiet or give an honest opinion. I suppose this could apply to anything really but jewelry is more personal and subjective. If you said to Tom Cruise "I don't like your Veyron, it looks gaudy and ridiculous" he would laugh but I bet he would get the hump if you said his Bremont looked cheap.

I'm not sure that Tom Cruise would care what you (or I) think of his watch....

Craftsman
    Thing with opinions like that, is that they don't have to be vocalised. When they are, it's often too easy for it to sound like

Master
    Blog Entries
    The same Tom Cruise that wore his panerai with the bezel protector on.

I get your point but I don't get why anyone would say anything negative.

Master
    It’s all subjective isn’t it ?
    The weapons that have been sounding off lately though have been nothing short of rude and/or ridiculous.
    Better to remain silent and thought a fool etc.

Master
    I think it is particularly unnecessary when the critic starts inferring or insinuating negative things about the owner’s personality or character as a result of the watch they have chosen. That’s a pretty good indicator of a pr*ck.

If I think someone's watch looks like a bag o sh17e then I won't comment. Can't see the good in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no problem with people voicing that they dont like some of the watches I own, or commenting on aspect that they don’t like in watches per se, but when a newer cretinous members start trolling in every other post to put down other people’s choices it gets a little tired very quickly.
    It's just a matter of time...

Mum always said "if you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all".

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If I think someone's watch looks like a bag o sh17e then I won't comment. Can't see the good in it.

I take this approach as well.. Just seems decent not to put person down

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    There's ways and means.

Seamaster pro's aren't to my taste. I don't get on with the scalloped bezel and prefer hard angles to soft lines on watches = This is my opinion and it's negative but I wouldn't class it as hurtful.

Skydwellers are for rich c*** mugs with no taste riding the latest bloated chavalanche offering from Rolex just cos it's got a crown on the dial = boorish and deserving of a spade to the front teeth.

If you can't be a decent human being even when being critical, the problem lies with you, not with somebody else's watch.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    There's ways and means.

Seamaster pro's aren't to my taste. I don't get on with the scalloped bezel and prefer hard angles to soft lines on watches = This is my opinion and it's negative but I wouldn't class it as hurtful.

Skydwellers are for rich c*** mugs with no taste riding the latest bloated chavalanche offering from Rolex just cos it's got a crown on the dial = boorish and deserving of a spade to the front teeth.

If you can't be a decent human being even when being critical, the problem lies with you, not with somebody else's watch.
    Spot in. As we know, though, this forum isn't exactly a bastion of emotional intelligence

Agreed, there is a difference between stating what you dislike about a watch, without calling anyone that would buy it an f’n simpleton.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Agreed, there is a difference between stating what you dislike about a watch, without calling anyone that would buy it an f’n simpleton.
    Indeed.
    Bemoaning the taste of someone else and “their “ lack of class etc, whilst showing absolutely none themselves, oh the ironing.

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post
    I picked on him because I'm sure I read somewhere that he is very sensitive to criticism, Napoleon Complex maybe?

If agree that commenting negatively on someones watch is not nice. Best to say nothing. It's different if someone asked for an opinion on a watch they are considering to purchase though. They want your opinion. They should be prepared to accept all responses

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Haha, very accurate both sides of the =

Quote Originally Posted by danmiddle2 View Post

He wouldn't care about that, just don't call him a leprechaun, he wont like it . . .

F.T.F.A.

I have to agree with all the wise heads here.
    A comment of criticism should be addressed at the watch or company, not an individuals taste.
    I started a thread here that I note many of you commented on and was amazed by the level of vitriol it generated about the people who would dare to wear a sky-dweller. It got very ugly, very quickly and it got completely hi-jacked and certainly did not go the way I thought it would.
    There have also been many times I have read threads from people asking simple questions only to be blasted by others claiming they should learn how to use search functions and the like. So much so that I almost dread starting a thread for fear of dire sarcasm and scorn. I don't think sarcasm translates very well in writing, it just comes across as bitter, harsh or just plain rude.
    So back to the start.....if you cant say anything nice (polite), then don't waste the keystrokes and say nothing.
    If you've been here forever and seen it all, don't jump on someones back just because they don't have time to scroll through years of threads to find an answer to their query. Then there are the accusations about people replying to threads just to get their post count up. LIFE'S TOO SHORT.

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT
    Unless you live twice, yeah?

If someone posts a 'look at my latest acquisition' post and I don't like it, I'll stay silent, but if someone asks 'what do you think?' Or 'Yes or No?', then only positive responses (unless that is what people really think) makes the thread worthless.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I think there is nothing wrong in stating design/details that you don’t like on a watch but certainly there is way of saying it politely.

I think one can only give a true opinion of a watch once it has been seen and handled. I tried on a £250000 GMT Ice which is completely over the top but the quality and workmanship was amazing. So much so that I tried it on a few times. I can’t imagine wearing it doing my shopping in Morrisons or taking the kids to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I think there is nothing wrong in stating design/details that you don’t like on a watch but certainly there is way of saying it politely.
    Absolutely.

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Worst thing is incoming and new arrival thread. You get a new watch - you're excited and a little thrilled - you rush to share with the body of the Kirk. Then someone jibes wtf did they design that in the dark? Horrible. Fortunately it's still a fairly rare occurrence

Master
    Agree with everything said pretty much but when someone starts a thread wanting smoke blown up their xrse it's difficult to resist.

Master
    In a way you could say there are no bad watches, just watches you don't like. I know there are bad watches really. But as it's so subjective, the thing you think that makes a watch horrible could be what someone else loves

This thread is shlt!

Now why are there so many watch designs, sizes, shapes, materials?

Ahh that’s right, we all don’t like the same thing.

Nothing wrong in saying you don’t like this or that watch but it’s the way it’s said that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The points made focus on the person commenting, and I agree with what's said. But just as we have varied feelings about commenting, so there are many reasons to own a watch. Someone may own a watch as they love the workmanship, or perhaps because it was their fathers. I suspect they'd be less likely to care what anyone thought. But in other respects - for example if I paraded a watch in order to be seen as wealthy or successful - I'm perhaps likely to be a bit more sensitive to comments, as it's not the watch I like, but what I expect it to do for me.

With varying motivations on both sides it's hard to be stable - and no fun if people refrain from commenting :-) If I see someone who has a nice watch and obviously enjoys it I do like discussing and hearing about it.

When people say 'good taste' it generally seems to mean 'you like what I like'. That shouldn't really mean anything, and nor should a judgement of bad taste - but they are often taken very seriously!

Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Indeed.
    Bemoaning the taste of someone else and “their “ lack of class etc, whilst showing absolutely none themselves, oh the ironing.
    I hope you manage to get the ironing finished. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Or you are a cat?

We have an incoming thread where those that feel the need to share can post photos and get the affirmation they seek, however when someone asks for opinions that's what their going to get, that said it's poor form to insult the owner.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    I joined this forum 11 years ago....back then I hated the hideous Cyclops (so typical of Rolex watches)...... and I still hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by PDR View Post
    I joined this forum 11 years ago....back then I hated the hideous Cyclops (so typical of Rolex watches)...... and I still hate them.
    I bought my first Submariner in 1984, I hated the Cyclops so much that I got Rolex to remove it, agree the Cyclops spoils a great watch.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    I didn’t mind the cyclops until people on here started banging on about it.
    You’ve won. I changed the crystal on my 16800 last month.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I would want criticism of anything I own or wear.

I recently purchased a Rolex GMT11 (16710) with a plain black bezel. I had the watch serviced and a new black and red bezel fitted. A couple of weeks later I was wearing it in the jewellers and an elderly chap, a complete stranger, noticed it and told me he thought it was "a tad vulgar". He was wearing a SS Daytona, so was of the discreet variety.

Since then it has preyed on my mind and I am now in Spain and 3 people have noticed it and that does worry me to the point where I may no longer wear it and just pass it onto one of my sons. I hate bling and my 39mm Explorer and Explorer11 Freccione fit the bill much better. No one ever notices them.

So criticism is something we should all welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    that said it's poor form to insult the owner.
    Totally agree with this. There are watches that appear in the Friday thread that are not to my taste, but live and let live and move on. Fair enough being critical when we are discussing new releases etc or someone is asking for an opinion on which watch would you buy and why, but when someone posts an image of their pride and joy it is wrong to record your dislike.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post

Or you are a cat?
    Well, no, but it rhymes with cat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

I recently purchased a Rolex GMT11 (16710) with a plain black bezel. I had the watch serviced and a new black and red bezel fitted. A couple of weeks later I was wearing it in the jewellers and an elderly chap, a complete stranger, noticed it and told me he thought it was "a tad vulgar". He was wearing a SS Daytona, so was of the discreet variety.

Since then it has preyed on my mind and I am now in Spain and 3 people have noticed it and that does worry me to the point where I may no longer wear it and just pass it onto one of my sons. I hate bling and my 39mm Explorer and Explorer11 Freccione fit the bill much better. No one ever notices them.

I wouldn’t call that vulgar,why not get another black bezel if it’s bothering you?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    Or you are Methuselah?

I have been told the green hand on my GMT is a tad loud by some folks. Makes me smile. The most general comment I get about GMT's (I like them) is the extra hand is a "waste of time". This normally from those wearing quartz watches which self adjust and can compute your calorie intake and supply useful life hints as well.

I dont like Speedmasters or Daytonas but I own Omega and Rolex. Taste is totally subjective. Opinions are just that. To some people being rude gives them a sense of importance or knowledge. Easy to see through such posts and move on.

Very often I see people criticizing WUS with its "Wear in good health" "Mine says hi" etc Yet become upset when their own purchase or comment comes under criticism. Reality is if a culture is generated where its ok to be rude, blunt, foul mouthed (as long as you change a letter etc or carry on your abuse in other areas of the forum then that's ok) Then that is what is going to happen. You cant expect to have it both ways and far too often there have been folk hounded out or don't bother posting anymore.

Every watch I have purchased has been because I like it and want to buy it. If someone else doesn't like it then it really matters not to me as I didn't buy it for some stranger on the internet. Likewise, watches I wear on a day to day basis some people may like some don't the vast majority of people however don't seem to have any interest at all in what watch I or anyone else is wearing.

Banned

This thread is about members criticising watch choices on the forum. It’s nothing to do with real life. In real life, everything material is open to dislike by others, cars, clothes, shoes, the list goes on. Listening to anyone who voices an opinion is perhaps something we can’t avoid. Acting on that opinion is ridiculous.

But congratulations to the aged bully on spotting your insecurity so quickly. Can't beat decades of experience.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    But congratulations to the aged bully on spotting your insecurity so quickly. Can't beat decades of experience.
    Totally agree, he was polite and I took on board what he said, so I am happy to accept criticism.

Totally agree, he was polite and I took on board what he said, so I am happy to accept criticism.
    Surely, though, it was just his opinion.

You could have exactly the reverse view from someone else.

If you thought it was vulgar and he reinforced that view (we all make mistakes from time to time), then that's fine, but if you're just swayed by the comment of some old codger you know nothing about (aside from the fact he wears a Rolex), you could be in for a stressful time...

M.

Master
    I was wearing it in the jewellers and an elderly chap, a complete stranger, noticed it and told me he thought it was "a tad vulgar".
    To be honest, I'd have told him to FO and mind his own business. It's unbelievably ignorant to make unsolicited criticisms about what someone wears.

Craftsman
    There's a lot of truth in the comments above. As others have said though, if somebody asks for an opinion they need to be big enough to accept it if that opinion is given for the right reasons and is the truth.

To be fair, I can't think of a single occasion on this forum were I've politely offered an honest opinion and the OP has had a hissy fit, quite the opposite usually. That tends to only happen on WUS where there are lots of posters commenting and starting threads in a second language and things get lost in translation. Ok, I'm being generous there but you catch my drift, I'm sure.

The only thing that annoys me slightly, is when the constraints of one persons budget are either openly or semi subconsciously ridiculed.

Horological significance usually comes with a big price tag. I know there are exceptions (Vostock) but even significant Seiko models now tend to be fantastically expensive. So with a budget in mind if you ask for somebodies opinion, on say, Christopher Ward, if the reply is along the lines of " The models do nothing for me and I really can't get past their business model or logo that cheapens the brand" that's fine, that's their opinion and I asked for it.

If on the other hand, all I get is " who? carphone warehouse? Ratners wannabe who should be advertising on the back of a supplementary magazine " then without the infliction of tone of voice, that reads as " I buy Rolex and I'm superior ". I know some wouldn't mean it to come across like this but at the same time I know others would.
    Last edited by coldwarkid; 15th November 2017 at 17:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Surely, though, it was just his opinion.

You could have exactly the reverse view from someone else.

If you thought it was vulgar and he reinforced that view (we all make mistakes from time to time), then that's fine, but if you're just swayed by the comment of some old codger you know nothing about (aside from the fact he wears a Rolex), you could be in for a stressful time...

M.
    I don't think it looks vulgar but he is entitled to an opinion and I am grateful he had the nerve to let me know. My pet hate is having someone notice that I am wearing a Rolex because it may come across as loud. I never wear the Daytona because that is an eye magnet and now the GMT seems to be the same as well as the Sub.

I tend to wear the Explorers because they are less conspicuous.

The main point I am making, albeit in a clumsy manner, is that it is always good to know what other people think and although the old guy was blunt, he was at least polite.

Master
    Is the Daytona a watch that attracts attention? I wear one often, and no-one has ever remarked on it, or even noticed, as far as I can tell. People in general don't care about watches. Why should they? Toys for boys; but I like toys.