closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SEIKO Golden Tuna ssbs018 shroud screws

SEIKO Golden Tuna ssbs018 shroud screws

I seem to be cursed at the moment with watches that dont want to disassemble. last time it was a Citizen diver case back, now its my recently acquired Golden Tuna ssbs018 which came with some chips on the crystal. I located a NOS replacement and today tried to remove the Phillips headed shroud screws. After a few seconds I realized that it wasn't as easy as just unscrewing them as they clearly have some form of locking compound applied to the screws. I decided to apply some local heat to soften the gunk, using a screwdriver that I heated over a flame and this did the trick with three of the screws. As always however its always the last screw or bolt on a watch or car that seems to be the awkward bastard and this is no different. Using the heated screwdriver repeatedly had no effect, tried using boiling water applied locally with the same outcome, gentle tapped with a hammer and also nothing, the screw is started to get a bit gnarled by all this attention so now Im having to rethink and also give it a rest until tomorrow.

Has anybody tried applying freezer spray in these situations to shrink the screw enough to break its seal with the thread on the shroud? The alternative its to get more aggressive with the local heat using a fine tip on my soldering iron but I wanted to keep this nuclear option as the last resort.
    Thanks
    Keith

It's heat it needs as it's the heat that softens the locking compound. I use the same technique as you, heating a screwdriver with a blowtorch whilst it's engaged with the screw. Having three hands would be a big help

Master
    Could you use a soldering iron to apply direct heat to the screw?

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Could you use a soldering iron to apply direct heat to the screw?
    Yes thats the final option il probably have a go tomorrow and see how that goes...the blow torch sounds fun though!

Craftsman
    I've got black tuna screws spare but not gold.

I decided to give the freezer spray a try, so after a trip to Maplins I gave the screw a brief blast and this time it came out as though it spent its whole existence being removed..so apart from looking a bit screwdrivered all four screws are now out. Thanks for the advice guys.
    Keith

I've recently heard freezer spray used with regards casebacks on another thread on here so it's interesting to know it works with a thread locked screw, another trick in the arsenal!

I might have to try this method to remove a stuck springbar pin in an old IWC watch. I have a question: does freezer spray cause any damage to the body of the watch?

Not that ive noticed, it very transient I suppose if there is a coating on the metal it could do but thats just speculation. Anyway I spent my time doing this job as every turn presented new challenges, the locking ring for the crystal for example wasnt playing game with my jaxa but eventually it all came together and now there is a nice unmarked crystal to set off the watch. One of the guys is sending me a replacement screw so once thats fitted job done.
    Keith

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app