closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: UPS Uninterruptable Power - anybody know how to spec one up (on the cheap!)?

Threaded View

UPS Uninterruptable Power - anybody know how to spec one up (on the cheap!)?

My brother in law has a small business, manufacturing composite doors. His office setup is terrible.. so I'm trying to help him out and have bought 2 x workstation PC's and am setting up a basic network for them. They have no backup strategy in place at all right now!

One big issue for them is that the power dips a few times a day. They are in a rural location and use generators to power some of the equipment. It causes their office PCs to lose power. They've also got a small phone switchboard powering the office phones.

So... onto UPS power supplies.

I need to keep up:

2 x HP Z600 Workstations
    2 x 23" monitors
    1 x ADSL router
    1 x small hub
    1 x phone switchboard (no idea what that is yet)

They don't need power for very long - just enough to trigger a graceful/soft shutdown via USB i assume (not having every used or configured one!!)

I've been looking at the PC World business site https://www.pcworldbusiness.co.uk/ca...management/ups and correct me if I'm wrong here... do I need to add up the power drain in Watts of each device and then get a UPS with a higher Watt rating? (if that's the case... I'm in trouble... as each workstation has a 650w power supply although I suppose that at max drain?)

I'm confused!... but this isn't going to be solved cheaply is it? if one big UPS is expensive - I guess I could buy multiple, cheaper models?
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 14th November 2017 at 14:03.