closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Sonos/Apple experts in the bar?

Any Sonos/Apple experts in the bar?

Just wondering if this is possible? Basically the other half has a nice pair of B&O speakers (the tall skinny ones) which are active and just have a headphone lead input that she uses an iPad or phone to play Spotify.
    If I bought her a sonos play 1 for the bedroom would she be able to use her phone or the buttons on the unit to play music either just in the bedroom or the same music as in the front room? And would the multi room music be in sync and not be out of line if you stood between the 2 rooms?

I know this would work if I bought the sonos connect thing for the speaker but it seems a bit overpriced for what it is.

Master
    its the expensive sonos connect I'm afraid and then you might need a mod or a lead to connect it to the B&O speakers.

They do look great though!

If you don't already have a sonos system then perhaps you might want to look at chromecast audio I believe that this does multiroom, but unsure about the iphone / apple integration as I use sonos.

Yep, only a Sonos Connect. L & R outputs to the inputs on the rear of the Beolab 6000/8000's. Should sound great too!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    <snip>

....... seems a bit overpriced for what it is.
    Isn't this all Sonos gear? (and I am a Sono user all over the house).

For the price of the connect I could get 2 play 1's for the bedroom.
    I don't want to spend £600 to just add a single speaker in the bedroom (and the connect) when the phone and iPad can do the music remotely.
    Looks like she gets something else for her birthday then!

Not sure she would want to use a chromecast as that's one more 'bit of tech' she will not want to integrate with Spotify/iPad

Master

Not sure she would want to use a chromecast as that's one more 'bit of tech' she will not want to integrate with Spotify/iPad
    Whats the difference between using Sonos and Chromecast if she currently has neither of them, surely she would need to "integrate" the sonos system and app?

The Sonos Connect is £349.00. You don't need the Amplifier with the Beolab.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Whats the difference between using Sonos and Chromecast if she currently has neither of them, surely she would need to "integrate" the sonos system and app?
    It's USB so how does that work with an iPad?
    And:
    "The limitations of the 'cast' As simplified as the Chromecast Audio is, iOS fans will run into some walls. Unlike similar devices that connect speakers over Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth for that matter), the Chromecast Audio can't stream files directly from your iPhone or iPad when sourced from iTunes or Apple Music.23 Jun 2017"

AFAIK Apple Music and Spotify are well integrated with sonos. At the moment she can leave the phone or iPad plugged to the speakers and use Apple remote on either device or just leave a playlist going. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    The Sonos Connect is £349.00. You don't need the Amplifier with the Beolab.
    It's £449 when I looked at the usual places, it's still £650 with a play1 which is more than 2 play1's. You are paying for an amplifier you don't need if your speakers are active like the B&O's

Edit: am I getting confuse with sonos products? Is there a box that will integrate with other sonos speakers as well as actives with no amp inside?

Edit: yes there is the connect and connect-amp.
    Last edited by MrSmith; 14th November 2017 at 15:05.

Sonos Connect to Beolab 6000/8000 - both of these speakers are active and will except phono level input from the Sonos Connect. You will obviously need phono leads.
    By coincidence I run both of these setups in two rooms and it works very well.

You need a Connect if connecting to an integrated amplifier or a active speakers (as are the B&O. You need a Connect Amplifier (with amp inside) to connect to passive speakers.

Master
    It's USB so how does that work with an iPad?
    And:
    "The limitations of the 'cast' As simplified as the Chromecast Audio is, iOS fans will run into some walls. Unlike similar devices that connect speakers over Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth for that matter), the Chromecast Audio can't stream files directly from your iPhone or iPad when sourced from iTunes or Apple Music.23 Jun 2017"

AFAIK Apple Music and Spotify are well integrated with sonos. At the moment she can leave the phone or iPad plugged to the speakers and use Apple remote on either device or just leave a playlist going. It shouldn't be any more complicated than that.
    The chrome cast devices are wifi enabled, where does usb come into it?

You have a app on your phone/ipad to control it like sonos, yes you are correct it will not play apple music afaik, nor will it play music on the iOS device its self out of the box. It will play from spotify so if thats a main source of music you are okay, if not there are some apps that might give you the functionality you want.

Or look for some old apple airport express devices and use them as apple airplay devices, but that will not give you multi room.

Or buy some Amazon echo dots and use them, spotify is native "I think" and you have a bt connection from your iOS devices to stream local content and apple music.

Or if you want the ease of use from sonos its a case of paying the price asked.

There are options, you make the call on quality, ease of use, functionality, robustness and cost.

this is what happens when you miss off a crucial word. amp with the sonos and audio with the chrome cast, i presumed it was the stick that goes on your television.
    i’ll look into the chrome cast audio and how that will integrate with the speakers/sonos play1/ipad/iphone/spotify.

thanks for all the input.

Craftsman
    Sonos also produced a similar model but called it the ZP90, and an even older model, the ZP80, that have a similar feature set and can be much lower priced on the secondary market. The ZP90 is identical in fact.

this is what happens when you miss off a crucial word. amp with the sonos and audio with the chrome cast, i presumed it was the stick that goes on your television.
    i’ll look into the chrome cast audio and how that will integrate with the speakers/sonos play1/ipad/iphone/spotify.

thanks for all the input.
    I have a Chromecast Audio you can have for a donation to the forum charity. I bought it when it was half price at Currys in case I’d use it. I never have. I just took it out of the box to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I have a Chromecast Audio you can have for a donation to the forum charity. I bought it when it was half price at Currys in case I’d use it. I never have. I just took it out of the box to look at it.
    That's great, I'll PM you later and sort a £15 donation if you are cool with that.

That's great, I'll PM you later and sort a £15 donation if you are cool with that.
    That’s great.

So the GF was impressed with the chromecast audio, very easy to set up and you don't hear the notifications through the speakers.
    Thanks to Phil for saving me £500
    Shame it doesn't work with streamed Apple Music content (from their servers not locally stored) otherwise I would have one too.

Master
    So the GF was impressed with the chromecast audio, very easy to set up and you don't hear the notifications through the speakers.
    Thanks to Phil for saving me £500
    Shame it doesn't work with streamed Apple Music content (from their servers not locally stored) otherwise I would have one too.
    As per my earlier post you want a second hand airport express then...
    (Or £80 new)

https://www.lifewire.com/apple-airpo...erview-1847427
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 19th November 2017 at 10:16.

I did have an airport express (one of the old plug style ones) but then Apple made it obsolete with an OS update and it didn't work any more.
    I might get another as I used to output from my old MacBook via optical cable/headphone jack but the new touchbar MacBook has dropped the optical so it's USB only for now.
    Optical v's USB sound quality is for another thread though and hi-fi snake oil territory.