closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ale and Beer THREAD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    Going to try Adnams tomorrow night.
    Give the Ghost Ship a try. Very distinctive taste. Luvly.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just tried this last week.

Very nice ! Need to find a pub with draft at some point.

Any other suggestions to try ?
    The ESB they do is far better, we get it on draft in the Joint Stock in the centre of Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Agreed. A lot of their less common ones are also really excellent, but hard to find in non-Adnams pubs unless it's Broadside (not a fan).

Craftsman
    I used to like Adams Old, a really nice dark beer only produced for the winter I think?
    Apart from Guinness my real favourite is Doombar.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Could only get this one.

Very nice !. Picked up a couple of London Pride bottles too..

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    the concept of the drinking pub is virtually dead.

Paul
    Not in my world.
    F.T.F.A.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Not in my world.
    Me neither but don't get the chance as much as I would like.

I'm a fan of Shipyard Ale (£1.50/bott from Asda)

In pubs - I love Devil's Backbone on draft - a very distinctive flavour.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

London Pride Ale

Craftsman
    Only thing I find with the bottled beers is they don't taste quite the same as the draught as the amount of gas is so much more. Some of them are quite fizzy.

Blog Entries
    Could only get this one.

Very nice !. Picked up a couple of London Pride bottles too..
    Not bad for a first try but Ghost Ship is still my fav, although I do like most drinks that come under the heading 'Beer'!!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Jon, if I come over to Hull you can buy me all the beer you owe me for sorting your watches out, then stick a label on my head and post me on the train back to Wakey........I still recall you telling the tale about drinking 12 pints of draft Hobgoblin so there’s no way I’d go pint for pint with you......it wouldn’t end well!

Agreed, there are some super pubs in the old part of Hull........shame I wasn’t well when I visited last Christmas.

Most places have a few nice old pubs if you know where to look, thankfully the internet helps and it’s easy to do some homework before visiting.

Paul
    current favourite haunt is this place......all bowls of chilli a fiver, real ales in tip top condition and often has acoustic blues nights too....very dangerous little bar.
    https://www.facebook.com/ChilliDevils/
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

quoffable

Hop House 13 is rather delectable. Brewed by Guinness so has some heritage.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    current favourite haunt is this place......all bowls of chilli a fiver, real ales in tip top condition and often has acoustic blues nights too....very dangerous little bar.
    https://www.facebook.com/ChilliDevils/
    Sounds like a place I’d enjoy

Blog Entries
    Old Crafty Hen, that’s the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Only thing I find with the bottled beers is they don't taste quite the same as the draught as the amount of gas is so much more. Some of them are quite fizzy.

I find this too. Much prefer draft.
    If you pour it into a glass and let it settle (or slightly warm up if straight from the fridge) I find it improves significantly.

I recently spent an enjoyable afternoon in this local establishment. Their 'menu' changes regularly but they usually have half a dozen great (and very different) beers from the keg, including the likes of "Road Kill" at 6.5% from the Mad Squirrel brewery:

Craftsman
    I tried out the Adnams flat white porter this weekend. I'm not normally a fan of flavoured beers but this gets my vote. Slight smell of coffee but not overpowering on the taste.

Good winter drink

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

If you are ever in Paris I can recommend the Frog pubs - the first to open was called the Frog and Rosbif, there is also The Frog and British Library next to the French National Library, The Frog and Princess in rue Princesse and several others. They make their own beers in the pubs to sell on draft and bottled. My favourites are Inseine (bitter), Parislytic (a strong, ruby-coloured bitter) and Dark de Triomphe (a stout).

My local. No.22 in Darlington always has at least 13 ales on tap and are changed regularly. My favourite though from Aldi is Hobgoblin Gold... 🍻🍺

Master
    I like most of the output of St. Peter's Brewery. Except the porters and stouts , they do better with ale and beer , even pilsner is good.

They have a pub in clerkenwell called the Jerusalem , tiny tiny place but good.

Seirra Nevada pale ale has been a favourite of mine for years , nice to see it showing up in supermarkets more often.

Anchor Steam I like a lot. Sam Adams lager I also like.

If you are ever in Beirut try the 961 beers. Excellent stuff.

I was sampling Brew Dogs output in Scotland a couple of montsh ago and I was impressed by most of them . Had something that was close to 7% which tasted bad but the rest were good.

Big St Peters fan here too.
    Their Organic Ale is my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Tesco are doing 4 bottles of ale for £6 for the rest of the year. The quaffables aren't included ie Wychwood Hobgoblin 5.2% and Bishop's Finger 5.4% both £1.25, Banks's Amber 3.8% £0.90p, so it's sensible to lay in supplies of the stronger ales, great value at £1.50 per bottle, eg. . . .

Thanks for the tip. I shall check it out to have some interesting options for Xmas!

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Big St Peters fan here too.
    Their Organic Ale is my favourite.
    If you are in the area I highly recommend Grain Brewery at Alburgh. Big fan of their Oak bitter for easy quaffing. Also recommend the Redwood for more depth. More info here http://www.grainbrewery.co.uk/beers/

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    It is indeed. And it's usually available from Tesco at £20 for two cases of twelve 330ml bottles.

Fond of Theakston's Old Peculiar

Master
    Yeastie Boys Porter is rather tasty.

Omg sooo .much beer today. Fullers tour is special... will post some pics tomorrow. Best value ever for £17 at least 10 pints I think

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Omg sooo .much beer today. Fullers tour is special... will post some pics tomorrow. Best value ever for £17 at least 10 pints I think

It looks like they're only one hour long? Which time slot did you go for to get that much beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I like most of the output of St. Peter's Brewery. Except the porters and stouts , they do better with ale and beer , even pilsner is good.

They have a pub in clerkenwell called the Jerusalem , tiny tiny place but good.

Seirra Nevada pale ale has been a favourite of mine for years , nice to see it showing up in supermarkets more often.

Anchor Steam I like a lot. Sam Adams lager I also like.

If you are ever in Beirut try the 961 beers. Excellent stuff.

I was sampling Brew Dogs output in Scotland a couple of montsh ago and I was impressed by most of them . Had something that was close to 7% which tasted bad but the rest were good.
    Seconded!

Craftsman
    Adnams olde Ale is once again now available and mixed half n half with Adnams Southwold bitter is a cracking drink .
    Commonly known by the Suffolk drinking boys as a pint of mother in law (old n bitter) or father in law ( old n mild ) ! Both excellent mixes but choose your company when ordering . I have witnessed dagger like glances across the bar .
    Broadside from the bottle is known as "electric soup" in East Suffolk .
    Enjoy it all ! No such thing as bad beer , some are a little better than others ...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    My local Asda and Tesco have seriously upped their game in stocking all sorts of beers.

I mix it up most times and get something new. Very little has disappointed me I must say.

I do sometimes have to get a nice crisp lager every now and then. Estrella is a good shout at 6 cans for a fiver.

I am very fond of black sheep and anything from saltaire brewery

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    If you are ever in Paris I can recommend the Frog pubs - the first to open was called the Frog and Rosbif, there is also The Frog and British Library next to the French National Library, The Frog and Princess in rue Princesse and several others. They make their own beers in the pubs to sell on draft and bottled. My favourites are Inseine (bitter), Parislytic (a strong, ruby-coloured bitter) and Dark de Triomphe (a stout).

I went into the Frog and Rosbif down in Bordeaux a few times last summer, when I was over for the Euro2016 football tournament, they certainly brew decent beers.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    Their Pale Rye Ale is worth a try, similar to Hop House.

My favourite is/was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, but I never venture away from Guinness now.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Fond of Theakston's Old Peculiar
    Very heavy and so yesterday.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Very heavy and so yesterday.
    And all the better for it! Good traditional heavy dark beer, even though I usually drink light hoppy bitters I’m partial to a drop of this when it’s available.

Paul

Craftsman
    Was in Asda today and they had not a bad range of beers for a change .Got a couple of Stone and oskar blues cans .The new cans are nothing like the old ones, they are lined so no taste of tin and much better for environment than bottles .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Morrison's.

BOTTLED ALES ADVENT CALENDAR FOR £30
    Count down to Christmas by cracking open your favourite beers - including Spitfire, Hobgoblin, Bombardier and a selection of quirky pours like Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale.
    Please check with your local store for availability. Max 2 per customer..........................

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    It looks like they're only one hour long? Which time slot did you go for to get that much beer?
    It started at 3pm and we left 5pm. I didn't book it so I'm not sure exactly why we had so long. There was around 20 of us and we were split into 2 groups and went round separately. Also there was some kind of malfunction in the kegging part of the brewery so we had to walk straight past that bit.

It was a hugely interesting tour and the guides were great. I absolutely love their new kegged beer London Pride Unfiltered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Living near Burton on Trent Marstons Pedigree is good round me. As is Bass. Thornbridge as brewery is one of my personal favourites. Jaipur IPA is a good one of theirs. Their based in Bakewell but have got a few pubs in Sheffield.

As has already been said there loads and loads.

Born and bred Burton lad right here and I'm a big ale fan. The Bass tower, which is now Coors, is at the end of the road I grew up on and I used to love the smell of brewing coming through the house when the wind was blowing it in our direction. My grandad had an allotment out of the back of the main Marstons site and you had to walk all the way through the brewery to get to it. They knew him so used to let him take used up hops for fertiliser. I sh1t you not, our veggies were fertilised with beer by-product

I'm not that fond of Pedigree. It's quite sulphurous so has a taste of eggs and is one of the less easy beers in terms of how it sits on the stomach.

To the Op... try them all and enjoy! Don't ask for recommendations, just drink the lot and work out what you like. If you have a micro brewery of some description near you, and who doesn't these days, get to know their beers including the seasonal ones. See what pubs they sell into and/or go to their shop if they have one and buy some bottles. Also if you're having friends over, go and buy a cask 'bright' (which means the sediment has been removed), borrow a bar pump from them and serve it up at home. It should work out at around or just over £1 a pint. It's a lot of fun. Enjoy sir!

Another shout for Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Adnams Ghost Ship and St. Austell's Proper Job, especially fresh out the fridge on a hot summer's day. Brewdog Punk IPA and Tsing Tao lager are also summer time favourites. Tried Hop House 13, it's OK but not a patch on GS or PJ. For those that like the Sierra Nevada have a try of Coopers Pale Ale.

There are a a few great real ale pubs in my hometown, I'm on an afternoon/evening pub crawl on Saturday with some beer loving friends and I always try out something new in such circumstances.

Fullers London Pride can be really nice (and often is in London), but it doesn't always travel that well.
    Ditto St Austell Tribute. It was years ago now, but the best pints I've ever had were Tribute in The North Inn @ Pendeen.
    Other favourites:
    Hopback Summer Lightning
    Hogs Back TEA
    Harvey's Sussex
    Gales HSB
    Theakstons OP
    Ringwood Best
    I also really like the some of the Innis & Gunn beers.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    This is my local! I know the landlord (Barry) pretty well, and even have my own tankard behind the bar.

Excellent establishment in every way. Also does good local wines and artisan gin & tonic, as well as local cheeses, pork pies and scotch eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I recently spent an enjoyable afternoon in this local establishment. Their 'menu' changes regularly but they usually have half a dozen great (and very different) beers from the keg, including the likes of "Road Kill" at 6.5% from the Mad Squirrel brewery:

Master
    Got to love a thread about beer!

Some breweries to look out for, producing excellent beers:

Tiny Rebel: look out for Cwtch (red beer), Sta-puft (marshmallow stout) and Juicy
    Thornbridge: Jaipur is a superlative IPA
    Old Dairy: Gold Top is a fantastic golden beer, snow top the best winter beer I've tasted.
    Cloudwater: their Chubbles DIPA is to die for. Some other real oddities, but very interesting. A bit way out there, and expensive.
    Beavertown: Pretty much anything, I especially like Gamma Ray

I like alot of Belgian stuff too, been there a few times. Westvleteren 8 is a fave.

My taste generally runs to the less mainstream- highly hopped, strong stuff (DIPA etc) and flavoursome stouts and porters.

I do brew my own stuff too (all grain), currently have a cinder toffee stout and black IPA in bottles, and a Saison (flavoured with simcoe hops) in the barrel settling.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Got to love a thread about beer!

Some breweries to look out for, producing excellent beers:

Tiny Rebel: look out for Cwtch (red beer), Sta-puft (marshmallow stout) and Juicy
    Thornbridge: Jaipur is a superlative IPA
    Old Dairy: Gold Top is a fantastic golden beer, snow top the best winter beer I've tasted.
    Cloudwater: their Chubbles DIPA is to die for. Some other real oddities, but very interesting. A bit way out there, and expensive.
    Beavertown: Pretty much anything, I especially like Gamma Ray

I like alot of Belgian stuff too, been there a few times. Westvleteren 8 is a fave.

My taste generally runs to the less mainstream- highly hopped, strong stuff (DIPA etc) and flavoursome stouts and porters.

I do brew my own stuff too (all grain), currently have a cinder toffee stout and black IPA in bottles, and a Saison (flavoured with simcoe hops) in the barrel settling.
    Cinder toffee stout, now that does sound very very nice....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    Peroni for me tonight ...

what is everyone drinking ?

Blog Entries
    Bought these earlier. Very nice!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I have looked in all the major supermarkets. No one stocks it :(

Ale and Beer THREAD

No beer tonight but tomorrow I’ll be down in Faversham, home to Shepherd Neame. Always like a pint of Spit ‘n Spew (Master Brew) when I’m there. We used to have Fremlin’s brewery there too.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 25th November 2017 at 22:12.

Not many I don't like. But supporting localism; Bishop Nick takes some beating. Heresy & 1555 being favourites. However Sharps Red Rock, Atlantic and the ubiquitous Doom Bar are good. Proper Job, Punk IPA, Green King Broadside & some London Meantime Ales have also hit the spot lately too. Oh and others have mentioned the Ringwood breweries Old Thumper is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk