closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best watch under £1000

Banned

Best watch under £1000

Having gone into long length over buying a seamaster I have decided the time is not right, with mortgage rates possibly on the up, my job slowing down slightly I am lowering my sights. I like the steinhart brand which seem good value. Am I likely to be happy or disappointed? I have owned a submariner all be it 10 years ago. I am think buy one for 18 months sell it at small loss then upgrade I am worrying about spending £2200 on a seamaster and regretting having a big debt just for the watch.

Master
    Steinhart ocean 1. Job done. Accurate, robust, looks like, keeps value.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I would agree with jacktheripper. Even if it takes you a lot longer I think it’s worth waiting and saving up your pennies to get something you will get real joy out of wearing everyday. Just my opinion though, Steinhart watches are alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Ginault Ocean Rover is a cracking watch for the money- If you email them you'll get 40% off the list price, works out about £700. I've owned a couple of Steinharts and this watch beats them for quality hands down.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Buying used will probably negate some of the loss if you decide to buy something else later.
    There's an oris 65 diver in sc that id be looking at way before I considered steinhart. They're sturdy, very decent, and use their own designs. Underrated imo.

Or a cwc/ sinn/ longines legend diver. All sub 1k.
    Last edited by verv; 12th November 2017 at 19:31.

Master
    Are you specifically looking for a diver?

I bought a NOMOS club campus last week and have been really impressed with it. Can be dressed up or down and is a great all rounder. Goldsmiths have a 12% discount code at the moment which brings the price down to £968.

http://search.goldsmiths.co.uk/search?w=Nomos+38+club

Banned
    Please don’t take this the wrong way, but personally I’d forget the limit you have attached to the watch purchase. Seriously, there are many watches at a few hundred to ones at at thousand or so. Use SC here and buy one you really like, it could be a lot lower than £1,000 and if you don’t get on it get bored, sell it or trade it (need some more posts). You never know you could end up with two or three!

It won’t be well received here but for sub £1k I’d go for a used or new & discounted Tag Aquaracer

Quote Originally Posted by Rob153 View Post
    Ginault Ocean Rover is a cracking watch for the money- If you email them you'll get 40% off the list price, works out about £700. I've owned a couple of Steinharts and this watch beats them for quality hands down.
    Agreed. If you're in the EU, you won't incur duties as they can ship direct from the EU. Works out to less. And they are fantastic watches, I've been very impressed by the quality.

Your £1000 will, with a bit of shopping around, buy you a nice SMP quartz. It will also buy you an MM300. Both used of course, but for my money those would be top choice divers at that price point.

Banned
    It doesn't have to be a diver I have looked at the Oris. I am open really I just like the diver style

Banned
    I keep reading about MM300 I know little about them

Banned
    I already have a Hugo boss quartz that was £300 but I want better quality then she I've saved a bit more I can up to the seamaster

Banned
    My friend has a aquaracer the residuals are poor he's tried to sell it and can't give it away without a huge loss and it is 12 months old. I will look at SC at the oris. I do like the oris.

If you buy something like a preowned steinhart you won’t really lose if you sell next year ,you’d probably get a preowned breitling colt for that money

The Oris in SC is a great shout. If it was me, I would get a Sinn 556i, available at Chronext for £870 on a bracelet. This is a fine watch, at a useful discount, and if you eventually moved it on, the hit would not be large.

Dave

Craftsman
    For me it's the Nomos Club, Sinn 556 or a Junghans Max Bill (automatic version). Coincidentally, or probably not, all are German.

Craftsman
    couple of mentions of nomos which I would agree with, hard to get more watchmaking clout for that money. Depends if that bothers you or not. the fact you say you like divers and the other things you're looking at make me think they probably won't be for you, but worth checking out.
    Budget wise, I don't know your situation but investing a bit more can often cost you less when it comes to flipping. But i'd personally never take out finance to buy a watch or put myself into any debt.

Banned
    Don't like the nomos the sinn is fairly plain. The oris 65 I like. The Tudor black bay on SC in red appeals but but over budget. I have gone around in circles for months. Black bay, seamaster, black bay, seamaster!! But I would have sleepless nights putting £2k plus into it

Craftsman
    Keep an eye on SC. There are loooads of great watches that turn up under a grand all the time.

There are plenty of excellent watches available for less than a grand. A PRS-82 would leave you with a fair bit of change.

Master

Best watch under £1000

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    snip If it was me, I would get a Sinn 556i, available at Chronext for £870 on a bracelet. This is a fine watch, at a useful discount, and if you eventually moved it on, the hit would not be large.

Dave

Agree with this 100%. Sinn 556i/a covers most work/casual bases with diver WR thrown in for good measure.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Sorry guys the sinn is too basic looking. I like the oris 65 as someone suggested a colt I
    Like that. I will keep a open mind. It is nice to hear good watches can be had at lower prices

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    Are you specifically looking for a diver?

I bought a NOMOS club campus last week and have been really impressed with it. Can be dressed up or down and is a great all rounder. Goldsmiths have a 12% discount code at the moment which brings the price down to £968.

http://search.goldsmiths.co.uk/search?w=Nomos+38+club
    Didn't you just sell a very similar Nomos!? It's a funny old game this watch collecting stuff!

Master
    CWC Royal Navy Diver Mk1 Automatic takes a lot of beating at £750. A little bit utility but damn fine tool watch. If you want sapphire crystal and a 120 click bezel then the Mk2 comes in at £899.

You’ll be stuck with Nato Straps but that’s not a great hardship

Seiko Sarb033 and Citizen Ecozilla on steel bracelet, buy them both and have loads of change left. 2 very well built watches and the start of a very good collection.

Like a right eejit I changed watches 3 times today; had a right laugh to myself. All sub £300 watches.

I’d echo some of the above comments. If you have a limit and are happy, the an Omega quartz, SMP or Aqua Terra could be doable, along with an earlier or more worn MM300.

I bought a couple of older Omega SMP’s in the last year from £1250 to £1450, so there are watches out there - but I prefer the newer ceramic version to all but my mint 2531 and Rio Olympics version.

But, I’d be looking at other watches before something like Steinhart, personally - as an only nice watch. Plenty of people own them on here, but the tend to have a few other watches too. There are many vintage Omega watches about at great prices too, unlike their Rolex counterparts.

A nice Seiko would be a better bet, and so many different styles to choose from.
    It's just a matter of time...

Best watch for what purpose? Field, dive, dress? Any complications you want in or out, preferences for metals?

Never really understood people listing price as their key issue when looking for a watch. It's like asking for advice on a transport device under $10,000

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Didn't you just sell a very similar Nomos!? It's a funny old game this watch collecting stuff!
    It was a bigger, less white version!

Banned
    I love the look of the sub/black bay/seamaster so that style is what I'm looking for. I'm keeping a eye on SC now perhaps some pre Xmas deals will come up. Chrnonext are advertising a big Black Friday sale but I doubt the deals will be that good I have no experience of this.

Craftsman
    I think one of the new club campus that they’re aiming at students, the longines hydroconquest or wait for one of the new Oris Aquis preowned - shouldn’t be long

With that budget I'd probably go Sinn U1.

Master
    £1000 is a bit of a funny price for a new watch. Those brands that are around this level tend to discount quite heavily so a grey dealer could be the way forward. Other brands will also go more affordable still so their is plenty of stuff at £599 type pricing.
    I’m guessing you want a brand recognised as a ‘good’ brand. For new options I think Sinn and Seiko is the way forward.
    However my journey was a cheapish but tough Seiko and then later I bought Omega Vintage. TBH I’ve not really varied much since.
    I think you need to gauge what you actually want. Is it a super tough Diver? I’d be thinking Seiko, Certina (grey dealer) or SMP Quartz 2nd hand. do you want more of a cross over sports / general watch? Maybe a Tag Carrera 3 hander again bought second hand, or is it a dress watch? Maybe modern Mido or definitely Omega / Longine Vintage.

I think a lot of people start the journey with Breitling Colts, Tag or Seamaster SMP Quartz , if that helps.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by col81 View Post
    I love the look of the sub/black bay/seamaster so that style is what I'm looking for. I'm keeping a eye on SC now perhaps some pre Xmas deals will come up. Chrnonext are advertising a big Black Friday sale but I doubt the deals will be that good I have no experience of this.
    If it's a dive watch you're after I'd at least take a look at Christopher Ward, mainly during their 50% off sales.

Ceramic bezel, automatic date movement (ETA 2824), excellent ratchet clasp bracelets, 600m water resistant, great customer service, good finish and for £330. I've got a couple and they are excellent.

Not a fan of the new logo though sadly.

I echo others thoughts, I have a Sinn 556 and like it - so perhaps if you really want something then just get a Seiko SKX with a decent oyster bracelet?

If you up the budget a little and go second hand then a Brietling Aerospace is an excellent watch (also ave one!)

Blog Entries
    I recently picked up a Certina DS auto with the sunburst blue dial, absolutely blown away by the quality of the watch and the accuracy of the movement, gained 1 sec in 3days , paid £550 from Amazon my bargain of the year

A grand will get you an mm300 if you're patient. Or you could get a Prs18q, a prs82, and a Speedbird.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Apprentice

Best watch under £1000

If your after a diver? My advise would be to check out the oris aquis... plenty of colour choices depending on your style.
    I personally came so close buying the gradient blue version, but instead decided to wait and save longer for a omega speedmaster...
    I’m glad I waited, but I still really want this aquis!

Pic pinched from the web..
    https://monochrome-watches.com/oris-...l-specs-price/

Banned
    Did you get your seamaster? Where are all these used watches for sales other than SC or eBay. Watchfinder etc are a rip off

Apprentice
    Yeah mate I got the speedmaster pro, I love it.
    Seamaster didn’t really do it for me. Plenty of these £1k on watches on eBay, people always flipping them.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Binsull View Post
    It was a bigger, less white version!
    That's lucky (for me), had it been the black version I would have been in trouble when you come to sell it in a week ;)

Master

Interesting Chrono Diver with most of the competition at 3 x the price. Certina have a genuine Diver and military usage background

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    Best watch for what purpose? Field, dive, dress? Any complications you want in or out, preferences for metals?

Never really understood people listing price as their key issue when looking for a watch. It's like asking for advice on a transport device under $10,000
    surely that’s the key issue in every single thing you buy in life.... getting the best you can within your budget?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DaveScFc View Post
    surely that’s the key issue in every single thing you buy in life.... getting the best you can within your budget?
    Surely the key issue is getting the right watch for your needs, that fits within whatever budget?

There is rarely a 'best' watch anyway.

Journeyman

Best watch under £1000

Quote Originally Posted by Mardon View Post
    If your after a diver? My advise would be to check out the oris aquis... plenty of colour choices depending on your style.
    I personally came so close buying the gradient blue version, but instead decided to wait and save longer for a omega speedmaster...
    I’m glad I waited, but I still really want this aquis!

Pic pinched from the web..
    https://monochrome-watches.com/oris-...l-specs-price/

That’s one good looking watch. I really like the Oris line up. Oris are an independent maker after their management buy out so you’re not purchasing from the big luxury conglomerates which I think is an added bonus.

Last edited by slever; 14th November 2017 at 12:04.

Grand Master
    I have two watches that might fit your requirements.

Both full sets.

Omega SMP Quartz black face 2008,serviced last year at a cost of £325!....£1200 ONO.

Oris 65 3/6/9/12 dial on the very nice vintage style bracelet.....£985 ONO.

Both in absolutely beautiful condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Mardon View Post
    If your after a diver? My advise would be to check out the oris aquis...

Lovely, but where are you seeing this for anywhere like 'under £1000'?

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Lovely, but where are you seeing this for anywhere like 'under £1000'?

M
    This is how it normally works with threads like this

1)Op asks for advice

2)Much advice given, some of it is painstaking and well considered, most of it is off the cuff. some of it is completely irrelevant and all of it is subjective.

3)267 posts and three months later later op ignores all advice and goes and buys what he wants anyway

4) two weeks later watch appears on sc

5) three weeks later return to step 1) albeit with slightly increased budget and different search criteria. repeat process for a maximum of six times.
    Last edited by seikopath; 14th November 2017 at 12:11.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Apprentice
    Plenty used £750-850 ish.. goldsmiths were going to sell me a new one £1075 last year. If you don’t ask you don’t get..