closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moto GP 2018

Hybrid View

Moto GP 2018

OK, I know that the 2017 season has yet to finish, but Silverstone to host British GP for 3 more years:

Dorna Sports is pleased to announce that Silverstone Circuit will continue to host the British round of the FIM MotoGP™ World Championship for the next three years. The 2018 event will take place over the weekend of the 24 - 26 August, with the contract securing the future of MotoGP™ racing in the UK following the termination of the Circuit of Wales agreement.

I don't think that's any surprise, but it is good news.

Master
    I hate Silverstone....

Used to go every year when it was at Donington though....

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I hate Silverstone....

Used to go every year when it was at Donington though....

Oops...I meant it was good news to have a British GP confirmed rather than not having one at all.

Craftsman
    Donington was loads better, I’ll still be trying to get hospitality tickets from JCB for Silverstone though 😁
    Booked for Le Mans already and looking at maybe Aragon for September as we’ve never been before

I too much preferred Donington.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 13th November 2017 at 12:02.

Can i just profusely apologise for abandoning my own GP 2017 thread & thanks to Pickle B for starting a new one. As i work in week & run a business that in summer & autumn is crazy busy i had to record all the races to catch up in the week. As we only have 1 TV & the 2 women don't have the same attraction of a)bikes & b)bikes going round in circles....

& being an anorak HAVING to watch every FP & qualifying session before the race this weekend i have finally by avoiding social media & websites managed to watch valencia at last.

A fabulous season with a little twist even at end & controversy & won't go over what is old news to the rest of you but also many thanks to those of you who kept the 2017 thread going....

In the meantime Mat Oxley's piece here on Marquez is excellent & builds on what i also thought was Hodgson's fascinating insight & interview with Marc at Sepang too... full on over the edge & on the ledge in practice & backs off for the race itself....

because he really looks like he's backing off in the race doesn't he?

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...ge-beyond-edge

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I used to watch it on MotoGP website for 99 Euros but it's now gone up to 120 Euros. Although I love the racing and have done for years just I can't justify that sort of money. Such a shame but it's priced me out of watching. I can insure one of my bikes for a year at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    I used to watch it on MotoGP website for 99 Euros but it's now gone up to 120 Euros. Although I love the racing and have done for years just I can't justify that sort of money. Such a shame but it's priced me out of watching. I can insure one of my bikes for a year at that price.
    I have no modern bike right now sadly.... only a vintage scooter (not running - was shed and buried) and a vintage cafe racer that needs a few things doing to go out and potter around on and so isn't running either

while I'm not throwing money at tyres, insurance, servicing and gear not to mention fuel these days...

i don't smoke, currently have a guide dog puppy so haven't been out once a month at weekends in '17/18 either so my only real vice and spend is on red wine and Moto GP...

while it's not perfect I can justify it I think at the moment.....

but god knows who is going to replace Jools next to Heuwen this year.... hodgson and colin are good in addition but it needs a fount of knowledge and history like Murray/Jools as a foil to Hunt or Brundle/Heuwen otherwise it's just going to be lacking.

Be great if they could get say Neil Spalding back or hire Mat Oxley perhaps....

in the meantime on this damp drizzly foul January Sunday here's the Moto 2 Triumph for 2019......

i adored my CBR600 and they sound brilliant howling in M2 but the 765 sounds pretty visceral almost F1 V10 like .....
    going to be good to see who gets it right first time out....

Oops Sorry wrong link posted - that was my northern soul listening

Corrected

https://youtu.be/ekyc8BBtTl4
    Last edited by lordloz; 22nd January 2018 at 01:18.

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I

i don't smoke, currently have a guide dog so my only real vice and spend is on red wine and Moto GP...
    Blind and drunk; it’s no wonder you don’t get out on the bikes!

Still much respect for the Moro GP reports, watching in Brail presumably!

They are just about to start resurfacing the whole track at Silverstone - https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport...k-resurfacing/

Not sure if it will make for better racing or not, but maybe that has something to do with the decision to keep the race at Silverstone for the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Blind and drunk; it’s no wonder you don’t get out on the bikes!

Still much respect for the Moro GP reports, watching in Brail presumably!
    Sorry Dave some misunderstanding there - though mistakenly put wrong link in i don't have eyesight trouble (normally)
    My guide dog puppy is that. I puppy walk for guide dogs - daughter can read braille as she has a grown up working dog.
    I was just daft pasting the link...

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Result for Crutchlow

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Result for Crutchlow
    Fantastic start for Cal. Great to see a Ducati (with Dovi) outmanoeuvre Marquez on that final corner. Excellent racing and always a joy to see Zarco lead the pack. Great to see the GOAT on the podium too. What a fantastic start to the season.

Quote of the day..."thoroughly miffed".

Edit 1m57.153 takes it!
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th April 2018 at 19:50.

Go Jack!

Love it when it's dodgy weather.

Maybe they'll start the race...sometime.

Update What a start...was it a start? What a race...with consequences. What a finish...

Hint...get your rule book out.
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th April 2018 at 20:00.

Ouch! I guess he’ll not be racing on Sunday but if it’s only dislocated shoulders no doubt he’ll want to!

Ouch! I guess he’ll not be racing on Sunday but if it’s only dislocated shoulders no doubt he’ll want to!
    The medic says it's likely that there are more injuries: MGPlink, with video.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    The medic says it's likely that there are more injuries: MGPlink, with video.
    I was getting worried that no updates on MP's condition might presage bad news. However, according to the translation of an Italian site posted this morning, a full scan did not reveal any major complications and Michele is very keen to get back to the track. His doctors have other ideas and intend keeping him under observation today and so the hope is that he can return to Mugello to encourage Dovizioso and Lorenzo from the pits on Sunday.

Pedrosa leaving Honda at the end of the season, the merry go round starts here!

I’ve no idea who they’re likely to replace him with.

Master
    Jonny Rea is being mentioned and he has said there's a factory MGP offer on the table, although it could be a ploy by his management to get a better contract from Kawasaki. Alberto Puig has already ruled out the Repsol seat yet the rumours continue...

I can’t see Johnny Rae getting the seat, WSB/Moto gp never seem to cross over successfully and he’s a Kawasaki man, not Honda.
    I’d like to think Crutchlow would have s chance but he’s already supposedly on a works bike so it’s a bit pointless him moving.

Maybe someone from moto2?

Craftsman
    I can’t see Johnny Rae getting the seat, WSB/Moto gp never seem to cross over successfully and he’s a Kawasaki man, not Honda.
    I’d like to think Crutchlow would have s chance but he’s already supposedly on a works bike so it’s a bit pointless him moving.

Maybe someone from moto2?
    Lorenzo is confirmed as the replacement for DP

Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    Lorenzo is confirmed as the replacement for DP
    Interesting. I can’t see him beating MM though.

As the recent transitioners from Honda to Ducati have all said, “wow the Ducati is so much easier to ride” it’ll be very interesting to see what Lorenzo does on the Honda...

This SIC satellite Yamaha team seems far from a done deal, and Marc VDS no longer looks set to implode

Petrucci is stepping up to the factory Ducati team

Looks like Redding is out at Aprilia and Iannone is in

Malaysian guy (brain fade on his name) is staying with Tech3 and will partner Oliveira on the KTMs (Oliveira might very well a future star IMO)

Zarco and Pol will be the factory KTM team

Mir and Rins at Suzuki

The music’s stopped and it looks like Smith, Redding and Pedrosa don’t have rides for next year, with their only lifeline being an as yet non-existing satellite Yamaha team or possibly a satellite Ducati

It’s a shame Vinales is tied to Yamaha for the next 2 years, he’s not making it work for him, won’t stop complaining about it and I’d rather see Pedrosa on that bike!

Master
    Oh Lordy Lordy....check out Marquez save from FP4 today... 160 KPH front tyre completely gone, saved on his knee.. look at the angle of the front wheel

I believe he’ll be earning €4M with Honda as opposed to the €12M he’s currently on at Ducati so he’s taking a much reduced salary anyway.

For that he gets to save face, join the team with the biggest research budget, and be on the best current bike.

Still probably twice what they were paying Dani.
    It's just a matter of time...

That's an aggressive first lap...

Update Methinks Honda doth protest too much...
    Last edited by PickleB; 1st July 2018 at 13:21.

What a classic!

I need to calm down after that. Oh...no problem, F1 is next. It's a good job I can liven that up by watching the Red Bull Rookies in tandem.

Update That said the start in Austria was spectacular and things seem to be going on in the subsequent laps.
    Last edited by PickleB; 1st July 2018 at 14:31.

Brilliant racing. Some really tough, but just about fair moves from pretty well the whole leading group.
    Like a much faster Moto 3 race.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I wonder what the actual cost will be. Are there refunds? Will this give Bernie more ammunition to move F1 out of Britain? What about lost advertising revenue for the TV channels as people switched off? And the advertisers and fans who will stay away next year?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

At least at Donington the rain always ran nicely downhill at Craners

Master
    Does anyone know the last time this happened...anywhere, please?
    Qatar a few years ago when it rained and was too dangerous to race due to the reflections from all the lights. They held it the following day at a cost of over £5m but it simply wasn't feasible this time.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Perfect_Sandwich View Post
    I wonder what the actual cost will be. Are there refunds? Will this give Bernie more ammunition to move F1 out of Britain? What about lost advertising revenue for the TV channels as people switched off? And the advertisers and fans who will stay away next year?
    I don't think Mr Ecclestone has much influence in F1 these days.

That was outrageous!!

He’s been sacked...

Moto2: Sacked Romano Fenati apologises for 'disgraceful gesture'http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45473316
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    He’s been sacked...

Moto2: Sacked Romano Fenati apologises for 'disgraceful gesture'http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45473316
    Good... riders like him just aren’t needed. That’s twice he’s been sacked from good teams.

The question now is, will he get a ride next year? He was supposed to be riding for the same team that Manzi is in.

He’s been sacked...

Fenati set to make Grand Prix return in 2019

Romano Fenati will return to track action in 2019 as he teams back up with the Snipers Team, lining up alongside Tony Arbolino in their Moto3™ setup.

The Italian was sacked by the Snipers Team and had his racing license taken off him for the remainder of the 2018 season after an incident in the Moto2™ San Marino Grand Prix. Now, the 22-year-old looks likely to return to the Grand Prix paddock in the lightweight class, a category he has claimed 23 podiums in – 10 of those being race wins.

Although there is yet to be an official announcement, we can expect confirmation of the news in the near future.

Fenati will be "starting from zero"

Fenati, once a protege of MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi, made headlines when he attempted to grab rival Stefano Manzi's brake lever during a Moto2 race in a moment of anger.

He was swiftly cut from Marinelli Snipers' Moto2 squad and his 2019 contract with MV Agusta in the same series was likewise terminated – before his FIM licence was withdrawn for the remainder of the year.

However, while his career initially looked to be damaged irreparably, the 22-year-old Italian was linked to a return to the grand prix paddock soon enough.

MV Agusta was thought to have considered reinstating his deal – only to hire Dominique Aegerter instead – before Marinelli Snipers made the call to bring him back into the fold alongside Tony Arbolino.

Quizzed on the logic of Fenati returning to Moto3 rather than continuing in the intermediate class, Marinelli Snipers tech chief Mirko Cecchini said: “It's like, he would like to start from zero.

"This is a new life for him, and okay, he did a mistake, a big mistake, but I think that the media have made bigger than what he was deserving...

The article linked says rather unequivocally no...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    The article linked says rather unequivocally no...
    Yep.... seems nobody will want him.. he’s a silly boy chucking away rides like that.

Stupidity, but I'm glad the team sacked him - as a two race ban seems completely the wrong message. He is undoubtedly a good rider, but may have thrown away his whole career now.
    It's just a matter of time...

His only saving grace it that he didn't shrink from taking the blame:

"I apologise to the whole sports world. This morning, with a clear mind, I wish it had been just a bad dream," he said.

"I think back to those moments, I made a disgraceful gesture, I was not a man.

"The criticisms are correct and I understand the resentment towards me. I want to apologise to everyone who believed in me and all those who felt hurt by my actions."

That, and his talent.

Master
    His only saving grace it that he didn't shrink from taking the blame:
    He didn’t really have a choice with that video evidence though did he.

Journeyman
    I think this guy's racing career is over, very unsportsmanlike behavior hard to see a team that would want him

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app