closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moto GP 2018

Moto GP 2018

OK, I know that the 2017 season has yet to finish, but Silverstone to host British GP for 3 more years:

Dorna Sports is pleased to announce that Silverstone Circuit will continue to host the British round of the FIM MotoGP™ World Championship for the next three years. The 2018 event will take place over the weekend of the 24 - 26 August, with the contract securing the future of MotoGP™ racing in the UK following the termination of the Circuit of Wales agreement.

I don't think that's any surprise, but it is good news.

Master
    I hate Silverstone....

Used to go every year when it was at Donington though....

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I hate Silverstone....

Used to go every year when it was at Donington though....

Oops...I meant it was good news to have a British GP confirmed rather than not having one at all.

Craftsman
    Donington was loads better, I’ll still be trying to get hospitality tickets from JCB for Silverstone though 😁
    Booked for Le Mans already and looking at maybe Aragon for September as we’ve never been before

I too much preferred Donington.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 13th November 2017 at 12:02.

Can i just profusely apologise for abandoning my own GP 2017 thread & thanks to Pickle B for starting a new one. As i work in week & run a business that in summer & autumn is crazy busy i had to record all the races to catch up in the week. As we only have 1 TV & the 2 women don't have the same attraction of a)bikes & b)bikes going round in circles....

& being an anorak HAVING to watch every FP & qualifying session before the race this weekend i have finally by avoiding social media & websites managed to watch valencia at last.

A fabulous season with a little twist even at end & controversy & won't go over what is old news to the rest of you but also many thanks to those of you who kept the 2017 thread going....

In the meantime Mat Oxley's piece here on Marquez is excellent & builds on what i also thought was Hodgson's fascinating insight & interview with Marc at Sepang too... full on over the edge & on the ledge in practice & backs off for the race itself....

because he really looks like he's backing off in the race doesn't he?

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/o...ge-beyond-edge

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I used to watch it on MotoGP website for 99 Euros but it's now gone up to 120 Euros. Although I love the racing and have done for years just I can't justify that sort of money. Such a shame but it's priced me out of watching. I can insure one of my bikes for a year at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    I used to watch it on MotoGP website for 99 Euros but it's now gone up to 120 Euros. Although I love the racing and have done for years just I can't justify that sort of money. Such a shame but it's priced me out of watching. I can insure one of my bikes for a year at that price.
    I have no modern bike right now sadly.... only a vintage scooter (not running - was shed and buried) and a vintage cafe racer that needs a few things doing to go out and potter around on and so isn't running either

while I'm not throwing money at tyres, insurance, servicing and gear not to mention fuel these days...

i don't smoke, currently have a guide dog puppy so haven't been out once a month at weekends in '17/18 either so my only real vice and spend is on red wine and Moto GP...

while it's not perfect I can justify it I think at the moment.....

but god knows who is going to replace Jools next to Heuwen this year.... hodgson and colin are good in addition but it needs a fount of knowledge and history like Murray/Jools as a foil to Hunt or Brundle/Heuwen otherwise it's just going to be lacking.

Be great if they could get say Neil Spalding back or hire Mat Oxley perhaps....

in the meantime on this damp drizzly foul January Sunday here's the Moto 2 Triumph for 2019......

i adored my CBR600 and they sound brilliant howling in M2 but the 765 sounds pretty visceral almost F1 V10 like .....
    going to be good to see who gets it right first time out....

Oops Sorry wrong link posted - that was my northern soul listening

Corrected

https://youtu.be/ekyc8BBtTl4
    Last edited by lordloz; 22nd January 2018 at 01:18.

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I

i don't smoke, currently have a guide dog so my only real vice and spend is on red wine and Moto GP...
    Blind and drunk; it’s no wonder you don’t get out on the bikes!

Still much respect for the Moro GP reports, watching in Brail presumably!

They are just about to start resurfacing the whole track at Silverstone - https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport...k-resurfacing/

Not sure if it will make for better racing or not, but maybe that has something to do with the decision to keep the race at Silverstone for the next 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Blind and drunk; it’s no wonder you don’t get out on the bikes!

Still much respect for the Moro GP reports, watching in Brail presumably!
    Sorry Dave some misunderstanding there - though mistakenly put wrong link in i don't have eyesight trouble (normally)
    My guide dog puppy is that. I puppy walk for guide dogs - daughter can read braille as she has a grown up working dog.
    I was just daft pasting the link...

Quote Originally Posted by TGilly View Post
    They are just about to start resurfacing the whole track at Silverstone - https://www.motorcyclenews.com/sport...k-resurfacing/

Not sure if it will make for better racing or not, but maybe that has something to do with the decision to keep the race at Silverstone for the next 3 years.
    No it won't unless they can start putting some banking in ...how about a cross between phillip island brno or sachsenring then Silverstone?
    There's an opportunity....

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    Sorry Dave some misunderstanding there - though mistakenly put wrong link in i don't have eyesight trouble (normally)
    My guide dog puppy is that. I puppy walk for guide dogs - daughter can read braille as she has a grown up working dog.
    I was just daft pasting the link...

No misunderstanding, your post said you had a puppy and I realised immediately that you were raising it pre training.

It was just my weird sense of humour!

Sorry.

Looking forward to the new season. We've been to Catalunya the last few years and have booked again for this year in June, can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    No misunderstanding, your post said you had a puppy and I realised immediately that you were raising it pre training.

It was just my weird sense of humour!

Sorry.
    No apology necessary

How teams are getting around MotoGP's winglet ban:

My thanks to Backward point on the Formula 1 2018 thread for his pointer to Autosport's YouTube channel.

BT Sport extends contract:

BT Sport has signed a new three-year deal to continue as the exclusive live broadcaster of MotoGP™ in the UK and Ireland until the end of the 2021 season. Fans of the world’s fastest motorcycle racing Championship will once again be able to enjoy every minute of the action across race weekends, with BT Sport broadcasting all 19 Grands Prix from around the world. Every practice, qualifying session and race for MotoGP™, Moto2™ and Moto3™ will be hosted live from the circuit, making sure fans get the best of the sport over an incredible twenty hours of exclusively live, thrilling coverage across each race weekend.

BT Sport will also show and profile some of the up and coming young talent from the first British Talent Cup, which begins in 2018 and is designed as a stepping-stone for young riders to get onto the world stage. Part of the Road to MotoGP™ program, the BTC aims to take talent from the British Isles to the top.

Master
    Some interesting goings on at Tech3...

As announced last month Jonas Folger won't be competing this year as he continues to battle illness, but I have to say I'm surprised that Hafizh Syahrin has got the ride. Who you ask? That was my first thought as well - https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...-ride-1007063/

Possibly even more shocking is this mornings announcement that Tech3 and Yamaha are parting ways next season - link.

I think most people were expecting the partnership to last for at least two more years or until Rossi retires and then see the VR46 team take over satellite Yamaha duties but I guess Herve didn't want to wait for the inevitable.

Certainly a shock about them parting ways with Yamaha! But if Yamaha have come out and said VR46 will be their priority over Tech3 than it makes sense to do it now rather than hang on, especially if they have had a good offer from another manufacturer

Master
    Slightly OT but just a heads up... World superbikes Philip Island this weekend

Word is that Tech 3 will race KTMs from next year and that the VR46 team, led by VR himself, will be the Yamaha satellite team.
    Interdasting.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Word is that Tech 3 will race KTMs from next year and that the VR46 team, led by VR himself, will be the Yamaha satellite team.
    Interdasting.....
    Also Bagnaia VR46 to pramac in 2019, surprising because as a 46 rider thought he would be in at Sky VR46.....
    so Petrucci is where?

& BT Sport has 4 more years TV rights.......

Micheal Laverty joining team who is excellent insight but IMHO it's really going to miss an encyclopedia like Jules this year ...it needs a fount of history Murray Walker or Jules type to balance Heuwen's ramblings....

sadly think it looks like it will be Hodgson (who I don't mind on presenting duties and quali) but for full races with Heuwen is not a great combo......
    A Neil Spalding would have been a useful addition also missed opportunity
    Last edited by lordloz; 23rd February 2018 at 00:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Interdasting.....
    It's official; KTM and Tech 3 to cooperate in MotoGP:

After taking on the premier class for the first time last season with impressive results – including seven top ten finishes – KTM will now have even more representation on the MotoGP™ grid next season, announcing a new partnership to supply Tech 3 with machinery from 2019 and bring the number of RC16s on the grid up to four.

Master
    Just got back from BSB test in Spain...

Bumped into these characters..

This is the lad we go to support..Joe Francis (supersports rider)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    Looking forward to the new season. We've been to Catalunya the last few years and have booked again for this year in June, can't wait!
    What kind of price are you looking at all in for that weekend?

Three races down...halfway through the main event...and I think this is going to be a very good (& interesting) season.

Update Nice to see a really happy winners' enclosure,
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th March 2018 at 17:55.

Superb racing. Another amazing save by Marquez. Just a shame Zarco faded away.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

On that showing I'm looking forward to a great season.

Hope Dovi can do it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Superb racing. Another amazing save by Marquez. Just a shame Zarco faded away.
    The mans agility around a tipping bike is staggering, 99% of bikers would have binned it. Brilliant to watch, he is always most ‘ loose’ when pushing hard in the closing laps.

Craftsman
    Result for Crutchlow

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    Result for Crutchlow
    Fantastic start for Cal. Great to see a Ducati (with Dovi) outmanoeuvre Marquez on that final corner. Excellent racing and always a joy to see Zarco lead the pack. Great to see the GOAT on the podium too. What a fantastic start to the season.

Quote of the day..."thoroughly miffed".

Edit 1m57.153 takes it!
    Last edited by PickleB; 7th April 2018 at 19:50.

Go Jack!

Love it when it's dodgy weather.

Maybe they'll start the race...sometime.

Update What a start...was it a start? What a race...with consequences. What a finish...

Hint...get your rule book out.
    Last edited by PickleB; 8th April 2018 at 20:00.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Maybe they'll start the race...sometime.

Update What a start...was it a start? What a race...with consequences. What a finish...

Hint...get your rule book out.
    didnt see it, just read the reports, marquez acting the maggot apparently.

Master
    What an eventful race! Don’t think I’ll bother watching the F1 race after that.

Watch the race and then you might like these three YouTube videos:

• Interview 1...Edit It seems that Dorna have had this one taken down. However his comments were published online (link) and I've taken the liberty of reproducing them in another thread: link.

Edit See also: ArgentinaGP: Best Videos...and scroll right for the other free Action Clips.
    Last edited by PickleB; 9th April 2018 at 18:06.

Master
    Epic race!!!! Marquez, WTF! Madness. Amazing ride from Crutchlow as well. That’s two great races from him.

Now that was exciting on so many levels. MM needs a punishment to fit the crime (2 race ban) based on his actions. Fantastic seeing Cal win and love watching Zarco. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Now that was exciting on so many levels. MM needs a punishment to fit the crime (2 race ban) based on his actions. Fantastic seeing Cal win and love watching Zarco. Awesome!

See also this thread: What to do about Marquez.

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    See also this thread: What to do about Marquez.
    Thanks for that

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    This.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Have just watched the highlights on TV. A very scruffy/scrappy race I thought and I couldn't really get into it - maybe it was because the weather was so dreary :-(

Not impressed with MM's antics at all. Crazy from even before the word go.

Pleased for Cal, nice to see him keep it all together and bring it home. But I wish he'd speak 'properly' when being interviewed, his accent seems to get stranger every year :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Have just watched the highlights on TV. A very scruffy/scrappy race I thought and I couldn't really get into it - maybe it was because the weather was so dreary :-(

Not impressed with MM's antics at all. Crazy from even before the word go.

Pleased for Cal, nice to see him keep it all together and bring it home. But I wish he'd speak 'properly' when being interviewed, his accent seems to get stranger every year :-)
    I couldn’t work out his accent either, it was if he had a beer or two!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I couldn’t work out his accent either, it was if he had a beer or two!
    He's got the Oz inflection going on - which on its own is fair enough - but then he mixes it with various other accents and it gets very confusing!

Travelling to so many countries, working/meeting with umpteen nationalities I guess he's just very susceptible to picking up other accents. In his defence I'd add that its happened to me on occasion too (whilst working away for any length of time) and I've had to mentally fight to retain my own pronunciation!

Master
    Not Moto Gp related. But thoughts with Bruce Anstey at the moment.... seems he’s going to have quite a battle with the big C. He’s pretty much cancelled his 2018 campaign

He’s already fought off testicular cancer, here’s hoping he has enough fight to get the better of this one...👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Not Moto Gp related. But thoughts with Bruce Anstey at the moment.... seems he’s going to have quite a battle with the big C. He’s pretty much cancelled his 2018 campaign

He’s already fought off testicular cancer, here’s hoping he has enough fight to get the better of this one...
    Absolutely - he is my favourite TT racer. He always had time for a quite chat and was always positive. Thoughts are with him and Anny.
    It's just a matter of time...

US GP...wet QP...dry race?

I read that MotoGP have agreed new rules to be introduced at Mugello that deal with the situation that we saw at the start in Argentina. Meanwhile, already in place for this weekend is an amendment to Rule 1.18 Standard Start Procedure para 13:

Attempting to restart the motorcycle on the grid is not permitted. It is not permitted to delay the start by any other means. Under the supervision or assistance of an official, he will leave the grid to enter into the pit lane where his mechanics may provide assistance (or where he may change machine in MotoGP only).

What a start!

Let's hope it continues to build into the race...looks like it will.