closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you buy your poppy?

Master

Did you buy your poppy?

I forgot. Maybe I just didn’t see any poppy sellers whilst out and about to jog my mind. Either way whilst watching the Whitehall march past I feel a bit gutted.

Master
    Every year without fail. I go for the lapel pin ones.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Of course always do, and stood in the pouring rain at a shoot competition yesterday for the 2 mins silence.

mike

Yes, the post office in our village always has a tray.

I must say that I haven't seen a street seller for many years.

Master
    The poppy can sometimes just be a symbol to make us feel good about ourselves.

Did you remember those who lost their lives? If yes don't worry about the poppy.

Also, the poppy is not just about remembrance but fundraising for the British Legion. I'm sure they will take donations throughout the year, so don't worry about missing a poppy in November, send them a fiver anytime.

Master
    Both local Tesco and Sainsbury's have had a seller in their foyers for the last 10 days or so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Also, the poppy is not just about remembrance but fundraising for the British Legion. I'm sure they will take donations throughout the year, so don't worry about missing a poppy in November, send them a fiver anytime.
    Exactly. Here's a link for anyone who missed out:

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-...ke-a-donation/

Master
    The poppy can sometimes just be a symbol to make us feel good about ourselves.

Did you remember those who lost their lives? If yes don't worry about the poppy.

I do think that if you wear a poppy you remind others to buy so not only donating but also fund raising too. I'm not sure now how many people think of ww1 service people when they buy and as the years go by fewer will. If those that do think of the original meaning don't buy a poppy then there will be less reminders for others. ( Doesn't make me feel good wearing one by the way!?!)

Yes I did and always do ... just back from the service in Bridgend town, bitterly cold and very wet!

......... and this is spot on so I wouldn't feel too bad about forgetting if I were you

Yes, and just got in from our local Remembrance service where my lad was in the Scouts parade through the village, must admit I got quite emotional during the service when all the local lads who didn’t make it home got read out, especially when there were several families with multiple sons who didn’t make it home.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Yes. The British Legion have been very good to my aged Mom. She's ex-RAF (as was my Dad) and they have helped her a lot over the years.

Yep, I buy mine every year at WH Smiths in Paris - they put a couple of boxes on the counter. And I wear it religously between the 1st and 11th of November, patiently explaining to Frenchies who ask what it symbolises.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Of course always do, and stood in the pouring rain at a shoot competition yesterday for the 2 mins silence.

mike
    And our guns fell silent today at the required moment, bewildered youngsters reffing as to why we were there with our hat and caps off.

We have today in this life much to be thankful for,i shalt never forget.

Of course

Kick off was delayed while it was observed today at Supermarine. Its was great to see both teams (in fact the whole rugby club) stand in silence for 2 minutes.

Interestingly the footballers on another pitch didn't - no comment.

Best of all we won 36-0. Some good stuff played today.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Yes, and walked up to the cenotaph above Greenfield yesterday, and attended the remembrance service today at the war memorial on Werneth Low, which was well attended and respectfully observed by people of all ages.

Master
    +1 for the lapel pins (+2 really, always get one for Mrs Beanie). I used to wear the same one an pop a fiver into the tin at my local supermarket each year until they started to date them.
    My wife's FIL was at Monte Cassino and I always observe the 2 mins silence,even at work, people can wait in my book.

Master
    Yep, sure did.

My daughter was also selling them in the local town centre as she is in the Air Cadets.

She said the shoppers coming out of Waitrose were the most generous...

Yes. Has to be a paper one for me, regardless of how much you give.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Yes. Has to be a paper one for me, regardless of how much you give.
    Yep, never miss.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman
    Always and without fail I will buy at least one.

Have actually purchased 3 this year. I got the pin type first, then forgot I left it on my other coat and so got a standard paper one. Then lost my first pin one, so got another pin.
    We have an old guy dressed in uniform in our village on a street corner, so it is good to buy one and chat to him. Not sure if I was his best customer.

He is there every year no matter the weather.

Have had a few suppliers come in for meetings and a representative from the Chamber of Commerce, all without poppies this year. I realise that you can't force someone, but I am struggling with the fact that they hadn't bothered.
    I did consider making them see the old guy before having the meeting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bought a nice knitted one from an old lady at the league of friends when I went to the hospital.
    Later I replaced it with the original paper ones which seem more appropriate than having something fancy.
    I was wearing mine in Germany this last week a few people stopped and asked me the meaning.

Craftsman
    Yes, bought one again this year. I usually opt for the paper pin-on version and lose it within 24hrs. This year I bought the badge pin . Shift work prevents me from attending a service today so I will ride to the NMA in the next week or so .

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    patiently explaining to Frenchies who ask what it symbolises.
    I know it always puzzles me at meetings this time of year French people mostly don’t know what is for.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Question

What does the British Legion actually DO with all the money raised? It's not entirely clear from their website.

Copied from their website “where does your money go?”

The Royal British Legion is a charity whose objectives are written in its Royal Charter. The charity looks after serving and ex-servicemen, women and their dependants who are in need, financially or otherwise.

All Legion Branch members are committed to taking an active part in promoting these aims.

Within Hampshire there are 30 local caseworkers who visit applicants to assess their need and determine if they qualify for help. The Area Welfare Office in Southampton will process these applications and offer the necessary assistance.

Nationally £51 million was spent last year helping those in need.

The Royal British Legion was able to fund Recovery Centres around the country to help those badly injured to regain their health, with a further £18 million.

Our seven residential homes and the four welfare break centres cost a further £8 million.

Every week last year the Royal British Legion was able to channel a staggering £1.7 million into its welfare activities.

The Legion is also able to almonise some of the cases and receive help from Regimental Associations and from the the applicant's employers, and locally from the Hampshire County RBL Welfare Fund.

The national Poppy Appeal does wonderfully well but cannot fully fund the welfare requirements of the charity. It is for that reason that Legion branches like Copythorne put a great deal of effort into funding other ways of raising additional funds to swell the Benevolent Fund.

The Royal British Legion bridges that gap through special events, lotteries and also generates money through its Trading Companies. This extra activity raised £17.5 million last year. Donations and legacies raised a further £38.8 million.

A small percentage of the money goes toward running the charity, its premises, staff, fundraising and other activities such as the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall, the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas and Remembrance Tours.

Of equal importance, the Legion campaigns to support the Armed Forces, most recently arguing for the Armed Forces Covenant which is now enshrined in law.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I didn't manage to get one. Seen them everyday but never got any money on me (just always use my card these days)
    I did go down my village church for remembrance.

Just a quick mention to the 90 year old I listened to on radio 5 live the other day with some WW2 storys of his time in France after getting shot down.

Did anyone hear it Or know his name? (think he's write a book of the experience) he did not sound 90 at all, more like a 50 year old.

I was on duty today but managed to get out at 10:45 to the local Cenotaph to pay my respects.
    A large crowd was already gathered and the service had begun so I stood at the back under an umbrella in the pouring rain.
    I couldn’t hear what was being said because of the noise of the rain but after a couple of minutes the last post was played followed by the two minutes silence. I looked at my watch and it was 10:55...

Is it just me or is anybody else’s shit gripped by this apparent lack of attention to detail.

Grand Master
    I always buy a poppy but forgot to wear it today!

My grandfathers on both sides fought in WW1, dad was n the navy during WW2, mum was a nurse. Our family always observed Rememberence Sunday.

Paul

This year I bought these — http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/battle-o...cufflinks.html

The quality is excellent.

I got this:
    http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/passchen...lapel-pin.html

Last year got the “Somme 100” one too

Wonderful back story and a little piece of history from the actual battlefield.

I got the Passchendaele pin as well.

My son and I went to the memorial service in Llandudno today. Great to see the the multi force cadets helping the old servicemen and woman. And the parade through the town afterwards..

Craftsman
    Always. I come from a service family - grandfather served on the Somme and my father at Anzio, in Burma, Korea, Malaya and Aden. I was a submariner for 20 years.

Always used to get my poppy at work but this year struggled to find one. Turns out that Sainsbury’s keep them behind the tobacco counter....you have to ask! Not sure why - perhaps they’re worried someone would nick the cash

Master
    Me and the wife struggled to find a seller this year for some reason. Finally managed to find three tables set up at Liverpool St station today so all good in the end.

If you do miss you can donate directly anyway and they also do one of those text to numbers that will donate £3 of which £2.97 goes to them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I pay my respects all year round.
    If I stop in a UK village I read all the names on the memorial.

In Europe if I come across a memorial or cemetery I stop as well.
    This year I came across a British cemetery down a dusty lane in Hermonville.
    It was machine gun Corp,Cheshire regiment,Northumberland fusiliers,royal Berkshire regiment, Durham light infantry and more,there seemed to be a high number unidentified.
    It always amazes me how well they are maintained.

I also came across a French resistance memorial down a little lane off a main road near Grenoble I saw signs then went to find it.
    From what I could understand they where mountain men who who stood up to the nazis,where captured tortured and killed.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Without fail.

It’s the least anyone can do, as a basic show of respect and to raise money for a worthy cause.

Strange they're hard to find in certain areas - must depend on having proactive local cadets, Legionnaires(?) or others willing to sell them. Was a table set up in entrance of local Tesco all week and cadets selling them in high street on Saturday.

Our local supermarket had a stall in the lobby manned either by RBL volunteers or forces personnel, I always get a paper poppy and keep it, now I have a collection going back many years. The important thing is raising cash for our current service people and their families for when they need it most as well as remembering those who made the biggest sacrifice.

I should have done ....

I still had my poppy from last year. It was in pretty good nick, too. But rather than be a cheapskate, this year instead I bought one of those rubber band things. Big mistake. I've been suffering a bit with dry skin recently and all that rubber band served to do was aggravate it. Hence the 'dandruff' in my wrist shot earlier today.

Poppies must be a more lasting tradition in the UK. I haven't seen poppies or sellers in many decades. They were a big deal when I was a boy in the '50s and '60s, but not much after that. I think they were largely forgotten in the U.S. as the WWI veterans died out. Too bad. I remember celebrating Armistice Day as a boy in the 1950s, with its focus on 11/11/18. I seem to recall the use of "Remembrance" Day for a while before we settled on Veterans Day. But poppies? Haven't seen them over here in decades.

Master
    No I didn't get a chance, I mainly wanted one for selfish reasons to stick in my hat as it's naked table tennis night tonight, but to make up for it. I had a drive to the charity shop late on with books, coats, boots and a rug and got chatting to a young 21 ish couple both had poppys, Just a nice chat and a laugh Then off they went, with the rug on their shoulders. I felt old and awkward after, a bit Alan partridge, but it did cheer me up.

Master
    Always buy a minimum of two poppies one for my suit and one in the car for weekend casuals.
    Our office is always stocked up on reception as well. I will never forget.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wall View Post
    I got this:
    http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/passchen...lapel-pin.html

Last year got the “Somme 100” one too

Wonderful back story and a little piece of history from the actual battlefield.
    Me too !

This fellow lead his men over the top a few times! RIP grandad always remembered.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Just a quick mention to the 90 year old I listened to on radio 5 live the other day with some WW2 storys of his time in France after getting shot down.

Did anyone hear it Or know his name? (think he's write a book of the experience) he did not sound 90 at all, more like a 50 year old.
    Len Manning, agree he didn't sound 93

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shot-raid.html

Craftsman
    Always, without fail. More than one, just depends on how many Sellers I bump into.

I did. I bought one, lost it, bought another and lost it again. So in fact I didn't wear on on the 11th or Remembrance Sunday. I was out walking at 11 on the 11th but observed my own remembrance.

As someone above said I try to remember the sacrifices other have made all year round and also when in Europe. We stay near the Glieres plateau in France quite a it which was a resistance stronghold in WW2. There are a lot of roadside memorials and tales of some quite despicable acts during the war (and retribution afterwards). My wife is Dutch so looks back on WW2 as a time of occupation rather than a time when the boys went overseas to fight. Again - some pretty horrible stories. Her great aunt was a nun, a nurse and a resistance fighter (with hidden motorbike) all at the same time - one hell of a woman!

My wife is the official poppy seller for our village.

The village is small in terms of households, perhaps 100 houses, so really little more than a hamlet. At the time of the Great War it would have been smaller still.

We don't have an official war memorial in the village, though in the tiny parish church which is now popular for weddings there is a framed list of the nine local men who lost their lives in the Great War. There is an additional memorial to the one other casualty of subsequent conflicts. If you glanced casually around the church, as so many do, you would miss it. Doubtless other similar memorials exist in the next village and the next town, just one or two miles away.

A local historian kindly put together the histories of the nine who died in the Great War. I have it before me now. The oldest was 36, the youngest just 20 - they were cousins. Of the nine, one was a cowman, two were grooms, a third a labourer, a fourth a porter, another a butcher. Ordinary, honest, working men who travelled abroad for probably the first time ever in their lives, never to return.

Many of the surnames are familiar, their descendants still living in or near the village. Our older inhabitants remember those families, not as names on a list but as childhood friends and acquaintances. Nine men from one tiny village in Oxfordshire. It is a scale of devastation simply unfathomable today. They died in fields that, whilst they may have been foreign, were so very similar to those that surround our village still.

For the first time in many years I couldn't make the service, as I had to travel for business. My wife was there, and she played a recording of "The Last Post" from her iPad for the congregation in the Church. We can't manage anything better, as the church is not well attended, but that does not matter. This year, as in so many years before, tears will have been shed.

We Will Remember Them.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    Poppies must be a more lasting tradition in the UK. I haven't seen poppies or sellers in many decades. They were a big deal when I was a boy in the '50s and '60s, but not much after that. I think they were largely forgotten in the U.S. as the WWI veterans died out. Too bad. I remember celebrating Armistice Day as a boy in the 1950s, with its focus on 11/11/18. I seem to recall the use of "Remembrance" Day for a while before we settled on Veterans Day. But poppies? Haven't seen them over here in decades.
    TBH I think the Vietnam war probably had a very negative impact on remembrance in the US as there was a huge anti-war feeling at the time.

Now all the scars are mostly healed Veterans day is a good idea.
    Cheers,
    Neil.