closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor BBB 79220B - great value for money

Master

Tudor BBB 79220B - great value for money

I just purchased with a bit of wheeling and dealing a very cheap Tudor Heritage Black Bay blue 79220B ETA version which I prefer to the in house. And the reason I like it so much, is it’s reminds me of the Tudor sub (I think I have mentioned this a few times on here that I am a fan of the Tudor sub) but without the machined bezel, although the text is similar/same. Has no crown guard which I love like the 50/60’s subs. Dial/Face is broadly the same as the subs right through to most recent and the applied markers are white gold (possibly plated)
    , just like the Rolex sub (not if plated) - not a deal breaker for me at this price point so let’s assume plated.

I think I like it better than the modern Rolex sub (I have one) as its more an ode to the old vintage look of the military Tudor sub watches of the 50/70’s. Obviously this is personal choice and of course Rolex had similar changes through the years and o could have went vintage Rolex but we are taking about value for money here.

It may be generalisation but the go to watch if you want a Rolex on your arm has to be the Rolex sub, possibly cost (I work in London and see more sub per m2 than any other Rolex), but for the price point I don’t think you can beat Tudor bbb.

In my opinion the case - which is amazing, bezel - lovely single direction click very tight, dial and hands - I also love the snowflake hands and the lume is lovely and bright. Nothing in it compared to Rolex, as I say I have one .Strap and deployment are really nice in my opinion the bbb is much better than anything else in the Tudor range at the moment and looks quality.

If I am honest it looks and feels like a Rolex but then again it should as most of then components are theirs except the movement. I haven’t even looked at the cloth strap but we know it’s nice. For me I wouldn’t buy anything in the Tudor range at the moment, I tried the Pelegos + LHD and the other black bays but they are simply not the same. They are big and bulky and clunky. This is not.

I will caveat that I am in no way knocking the Rolex Sub, or Rolex sub wearers, as I say I have one myself and love it, and in respect of the Tudor range they have some lovely pieces, just not for me. I am simply pointing out that for what I paid for a bnib Tudor Heritage Black Bay blue 79220B ETA and for how much you have to pay for a Rolex sub there is an affordable option out there if you don’t mind having Tudor on your wrist as opposed to Rolex.

The black bay blue ETA is a steal for a watch that is basically a Rolex with a rose on the front instead of a crown - oh yeah the movement is different but it’s not a bad one is it.

Any love for the bbb ETA?

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Crazy love for it here! I couldn't quite stretch to any that were on the market but snapped up a Black Bay 41 when it appeared and I've no regrets. Easily the best watch I've owned. The fit, the finish, the feel. Amazing stuff.

The BBB is the best colour in my opinion and if I didn't already have the 41, it would be my next watch.

Oh and mine is ETA but dunno well within Rolex standards, never mind COSC - under a second per day deviation!

Master
    I just don’t like the crown stem arrangement. Do away with that and I’d like it more. I don’t really see the comparison to a classic Tudor Sub though. The current Tudor models look nothing like as good as the older models.

Had one, moved it on. On the wrist, looks/feels a bit slab sided to me. Love the colour scheme, and the quality is great.

What is a Black Bay 41? That's the case size isn't it?

The red ETA/rose version is one of the solid keepers that make up the core of my collection. Lots of others orbit around this core and then disappear, but the BB is permanent - it's just a fantastic watch on all levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    What is a Black Bay 41? That's the case size isn't it?

The red ETA/rose version is one of the solid keepers that make up the core of my collection. Lots of others orbit around this core and then disappear, but the BB is permanent - it's just a fantastic watch on all levels...

Black Bay 41 has no bezel

Craftsman
    My brothers got a BB Red, and I love it. Still contemplating whether to get a BBB or a BB41. Love both.

Craftsman
    The navy blue bezel / leather strap combo is an absolute winner...

It's got one of the nicest bezel actions I've ever used

That looks great on that strap

There's a new one still in my local watch shop. Tried it on along with the thicker in-house one. Prefered the ETA. The assistant had no idea they were different watches. Very confused that one was cheaper.

Craftsman
    I love my black bay red,I wanted this watch for so long but then they brought out the in house movement which threw a spanner in the works!!! But I tried them side by side and I preferred the eta version so I bought it!! Plus it was a lot cheaper which helps!! My only regret is not getting the bracelet but I would probably wear the leather more anyway...
    Like the op states these are great value for money and a serious alternative to a sub !!

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Here's my Black Bay 41 back from having a new dial fitted

As a result of having no dive bezel, the dial is larger. It's basically an Explorer, but without that horrible Mercedes hour hand and the lovely Snowflake instead!

It's also thinner as a result, my digital callipers say 10.8mm thick.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I just don’t like the crown stem arrangement. Do away with that and I’d like it more. I don’t really see the comparison to a classic Tudor Sub though. The current Tudor models look nothing like as good as the older models.
    What the fact that it’s coloured?

I want a classic sub so to me this version, compared to the Tudor range on offer at the moment (I am agreeing with you), is more tuned into that style. It’s not a Tudor sub just in my opinion throws a few darts at it which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammylee View Post

Black Bay 41 has no bezel

Ah, gotcha

I have the Black. Love it.

My preference is probably Black, Red, and then Blue- but there is not a bad watch between them imho.
    It's just a matter of time...

Same. I think it serves to cheapen the look of the watch as a whole, but that aside I love it.

Master
    I have a red one which seems to have survived many culls - so I guess I like it!

Yesterday I tried the two-tone on leather (forgive the bad picture). Liked it a lot...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Same. I think it serves to cheapen the look of the watch as a whole, but that aside I love it.
    I suppose my whole point of the thread was to highlight the value for money from a comparison/alternative to perspective, and it seems that at this early stage it’s loved and people seem to agree. The stem, which has been pointed out twice seems to be the only matter raised.

You know what I did a direct comparison between my sub and didn’t even notice it.

I own a couple of Rolex’s and my bbb will be getting loads of wrist time. Bloody cheap for what you get.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have a red one which seems to have survived many culls - so I guess I like it!

Yesterday I tried the two-tone on leather (forgive the bad picture). Liked it a lot...

I said I didn’t really like anything from the current lineup - I think I have just changed my mind. Lovely stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fredamens View Post
    I suppose my whole point of the thread was to highlight the value for money from a comparison/alternative to perspective......
    The value for money of Tudor is very compelling. Tudor, along with Rolex and Omega, function as my anchor points for what you get for the money, it is easy to pay more and get less. As an example, Bremont, which I like btw, looks uncomfortably over-priced against Tudor, and that will only get more marked with Tudors access to Breitling chronographs.

So value is brilliant, but do I like the watches? I want to like the BB, I really do, but I do find it uncomfortably slab-sided in the metal.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post

So value is brilliant, but do I like the watches? I want to like the BB, I really do, but I do find it uncomfortably slab-sided in the metal.

Dave
    I'm with you here, I really really really want to like the BB Tudor's, but whenever I've tried one on I've just found it not as special looking as I feel it should - there's something about the faux patina that looks great in pics, but for me doesn't seem to do it on the wrist. I found the same with the new Seamaster too - looks great behind the glass, felt a bit 'meh' on the wrist.

Still wouldn't begrudge anyone owning either of them though.

Journeyman
    Congratulations on your new purchase. Like some others it wasn't quite for me when I tried it on but that probably has more to do with the size and shape of my wrists. The Pelagos on the other hand...

It's been said before but Tudor today carries over the ethos of yesterday's Rolex better than Rolex does itself today. That for me commands respect. And by the way it's the same ethos that produced the vintage watches collectors today fawn over.

Master
    [QUOTE=Fredamens;4558816]What the fact that it’s coloured?

I want a classic sub so to me this version, compared to the Tudor range on offer at the moment (I am agreeing with you), is more tuned into that style. It’s not a Tudor sub just in my opinion throws a few darts at it which I like.

We all like different things and we all spend our money as we choose. One man’s meat is another man’s poison, etc. That’s how it should be. I’ve owned a 79090 and I bitterly regret moving it on. I recently passed on the opportunity to acquire a lovely Big Block chrono and that’s another horological regret of mine. I’d like the Black Bay much more without the crown tube. I just want and expect the crown to be flush with the case. Having said that I do like the fact it’s sans date as that’s another feature I can do without. And I don’t mind the snowflake hands, either.

I’m certainly not taking cheap pot shots at Tudor. The Black Bay looks to be great value for money and I like that the ETA model can run well within COSC standards. I’m glad to see that Tudor watches now have a significant presence on the high street after too many years in the wilderness.
    Last edited by seabiscuit; 12th November 2017 at 16:35.

Journeyman
    Big Bloke chrono
    Can one wear that despite being less than 10 stones?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    Can one wear that despite being less than 10 stones?
    Just spotted the typo. Feel somewhat silly now��

Journeyman
    Just spotted the typo. Feel somewhat silly now😉
    No need, it made me laugh. Typos level the playing ground because they happen to even the best of us.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I'm with you here, I really really really want to like the BB Tudor's, but whenever I've tried one on I've just found it not as special looking as I feel it should - there's something about the faux patina that looks great in pics, but for me doesn't seem to do it on the wrist. I found the same with the new Seamaster too - looks great behind the glass, felt a bit 'meh' on the wrist.

Still wouldn't begrudge anyone owning either of them though.
    I pointed out at the start that I am referring to a particular model that is different in respect of the current offerings and I believe it is special and doesn’t have faux patina. I agree that’s why I couldn’t see myself owning any of the other models. I am talking specifically about the 79220b. Take a look and see what you think a great review here.

https://youtu.be/1vlYCqnos_g

Craftsman
    For that money you can’t possibly go wrong! Especially on that strap...

Craftsman
    Does anyone know if the Tudor BB fabric straps can be bought individually and if they'd fit a Pelagius? I'd like to try one on my LHD.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a Black Bay Blue OEM NATO which I wear on my Pelagos. Looks great, fits fine.
    Yes, you can buy them separetely, I bought mine from a forum member, which he was not going to use it on his watch.
    But they can be bought by or from ADs
    Chrono24 has several for sale from £133, to £346 (chuckle, chuckle).

Dave

ps - Black Bay Blue is the best of the bunch for me, but it is not a sub, and not a Rolex. For me, the blue is the one that resists the addition of too many period details (red bits, gold bits, burgundy bits) and just settles on a lovely dark shade of blue. Just like they didn't use on the Pelagos. It is lovely, but I will stick with my blue 76100 lollipop, blue 94110 snowflake and black ETA Pelagos. That combo has it all covered for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Does anyone know if the Tudor BB fabric straps can be bought individually and if they'd fit a Pelagius? I'd like to try one on my LHD.
    Yes they can and yes they do. But the hardware is separate and the total cost is loooooots.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    ps - Black Bay Blue is the best of the bunch for me, but it is not a sub, and not a Rolex. For me, the blue is the one that resists the addition of too many period details (red bits, gold bits, burgundy bits) and just settles on a lovely dark shade of blue. Just like they didn't use on the Pelagos. It is lovely, but I will stick with my blue 76100 lollipop, blue 94110 snowflake and black ETA Pelagos. That combo has it all covered for me.
    My thoughts exactly, great watch in its own no need to link to other watches. And Like the pelagos it takes elements from the past, yet does not try to make a vintage-look watch. Both are very modern watches with a few nods to the past. Hence the thicker case and model, no vintage lume, but stull the snowflake hands. Sure love mine :-)

Craftsman
    I love mine. It hasn't left my wrist since I traded it with my Aerospace. Bang for buck I think it's pretty awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    They have done a blue one for the original French military with just subtle changes,it’s not for the general public.

Sorry I can’t work out how to link to it.

BBB is one of my new favourite watches.

It was love at first sight (in the flesh) for me too.

Journeyman
    I’m a big fan of the BBB - I think the blue, white and silver combine to give the watch a really clean look, but without being sterile. Currently enjoying mine on hols!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I know it doesn't have the bezel, but I love it, so I'm posting it.

Master

It does seem great 'value' compared to Rolex but forgetting comparing it to Rolex price, does it stand alone as great value?

I find myself wanting one and looking at them quite often but when I think they're 6 times the price of a Steinhart Ocean vintage (with ETA) I do wonder if they're that much nicer to own.

Homage hate aside, the Ocean vintage is a beautifully made piece for the money and I guess you can apply the same thinking as the sub to BB price comparison. Reason I compare it to that is the vintage sub points on both.

Having handled the BB I do agree they're lovely but the value perception feels more linked to the comparison to Rolex rather than it's own quality. I find myself justifying a £2500 ETA piece because it's 'cheap' compared to a Sub. If it said Daniel Wellington on the dial it wouldn't be classed as value. I guess it shows how we actually value the Tudor brand too.

But... If you had a Rolex Sub, Tudor BB and a Steinhart O vintage all with sterile dials would the BB still be good value when you revealed all the price tags to someone with an eye for quality but doesn't know the brands? In fact you could argue the only watch that's justified in being it's price is the Rolex with something the others don't have, the exceptional movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    It does seem great 'value' compared to Rolex but forgetting comparing it to Rolex price, does it stand alone as great value?

I find myself wanting one and looking at them quite often but when I think they're 6 times the price of a Steinhart Ocean vintage (with ETA) I do wonder if they're that much nicer to own.

Homage hate aside, the Ocean vintage is a beautifully made piece for the money and I guess you can apply the same thinking as the sub to BB price comparison. Reason I compare it to that is the vintage sub points on both.

Having handled the BB I do agree they're lovely but the value perception feels more linked to the comparison to Rolex rather than it's own quality. I find myself justifying a £2500 ETA piece because it's 'cheap' compared to a Sub. If it said Daniel Wellington on the dial it wouldn't be classed as value. I guess it shows how we actually value the Tudor brand too.

But... If you had a Rolex Sub, Tudor BB and a Steinhart O vintage all with sterile dials would the BB still be good value when you revealed all the price tags to someone with an eye for quality but doesn't know the brands? In fact you could argue the only watch that's justified in being it's price is the Rolex with something the others don't have, the exceptional movement.
    Without trying to dig Steinhart as a brand I purchased one and sent it back. It wasn’t even close to the finishing on the BBB ETA, and remember I am only talking about a specific model. I am not generalising about any of the brands. My point as the OP was I own several Rolex watches and I was really impressed with the BBB ETA and for the money, looking upwards towards Rolex value for money is amazing, movement aside, albeit its a very good movement.

May be worth you doing a similar post in respect of the Ocean Vintage and look upwards to determine/assess its value for money. I would be very interested as I know lots on the forum love Steinhart.

All being said each to their own and if your happy then that’s all that matters.

Fred

I think the Tudors are very well put together. They might not use white gold markers etc. But I think they are right up there with the mid range brands.

My daily wearer for over 2 years and I couldn’t love it more. Much prefer the original dial with the rose and the smiley face text than the new one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post

I would ask is the black bay good value when we have the Oris 65 divers especially if comparing to ETA black bay.

Imo much better watch than the Oris

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Difficult to doubt that. I guess what I'm asking is if the Tudor is worth the extra money over the Oris. Personally I see both as fun watches that don't have to be taken too seriously. The Oris fills the role well and the extra £1000 or so could be spent on whatever else takes your interest.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I agree (Although this is based on little / no knowledge about Oris...)

Quote Originally Posted by Kallang View Post
    Difficult to doubt that. I guess what I'm asking is if the Tudor is worth the extra money over the Oris. Personally I see both as fun watches that don't have to be taken too seriously. The Oris fills the role well and the extra £1000 or so could be spent on whatever else takes your interest.
    I think it's worth the extra. So do others, hence a similar new price to some Oris, but much greater resale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossmore10 View Post
    I agree (Although this is based on little / no knowledge about Oris...)
    Oris aren't a bad brand by any stretch, and a great used buy. But up until Omega raised their game. I would have had Tudor at the same level ikr slightly better.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 19th November 2017 at 17:14.

Journeyman
    Agree. Like them too. Not sure to go for 43mm bronze or standard black bay though

Tricky. They are both very nice.

If I don't manage to get a Harrods version, I'll think about either a black Chronometer version, or maybe a Bronze. I'd prefer a date model in steel, and a coloured bezel, which I'm sure will come at some point.