closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Peoples thoughts on the 70's Tudor Monte Carlo

Journeyman

Peoples thoughts on the 70's Tudor Monte Carlo

Hi All

Im currently thinking about buying a 7169 Tudor Monte Carlo in blue as I think they are a great looking retro watch but really baulk at the thought of spending such a lot of money on a Tudor.

Here is a great example that sold:

https://www.hqmilton.com/timepieces/...lo-7169-0-9057

What do people think about this watch? Whilst they seem to be around the £15k mark on Chrono24, the same 20 or so watches seem to have been for sale on that site for months. I could justify spending £5-7k but £15k upwards does seem very steep. Is it just me?

They are for sale, or at least one is, for close to half your stated £15,000, if you know where to look.

Very nice watch.
    It's just a matter of time...

Isn't that a later dial. Aren't the desirable ones the Homeplate dial. Each of the 5 min markers looks like a US baseball pitch.

Don't honestly know a lot about these, but I have seen people get excited about these earlier dials and they attract a big price tag.

Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 11th November 2017 at 00:19.

It's gorgeous. Out if my price league though. I'm quite happy to have bought the modern version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Isn't that a later dial. Aren't the desirable ones the Homeplate dial. Each of the 5 min markers looks like a US baseball pitch.

Don't honestly know a lot about these, but I have seen people get excited about these earlier dials and they attract a big price tag.

Could be wrong but I thought only the blue was called the Monte Carlo...

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Could be wrong but I thought only the blue was called the Monte Carlo...

Nope, it seems the Home Plate was a Monte Carlo too...

http://www.exoticwatches.net/browse.asp?C=25&P=1

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

It seems the Homeplate is another step up in price. For me the blue 7169 Monte Carlo is the perfect antidote to the problem of having a collection consisting of black faced watches (I have a Pelagos and 1680 sub)

Master
    It's gorgeous. Out if my price league though. I'm quite happy to have bought the modern version.

I really like that, would be a lovely summer watch.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

This is worth a look...

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/in...-watch-company

Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it,but at the price I would rather have the latest version.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    This is worth a look...

That’s a great link,the 70s case Advisor and dive watch with pencil hands stand out for me.

I note he’s wearing his watch on a NATO they are Definetly in fashion even with the high end brands nowadays.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBox View Post
    This is worth a look...

That’s a good read, thanks for sharing that.

Finding myself getting more and more interested in the Tudor brand. Regretting not buying a Black Bay Blue a couple of years ago at a silly knock down price

Think I prefer the "Monte Carlo" over the Homeplate as I like the rotating bezel. But for the money a modern chrono would be my choice in blue.

Master
    sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do like these myself.... Just not quite enough to cough up the RRP though.
    Am I right in thinking they are about £3400 new ?

I really like the '70's Monte Carlos but if I was in the market for one I'd go for a used modern reissue version even though I'm not a fan of the tiny movement.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Nothing against the vintage but I have the reissue - adds a bit of colour to my collection

Sent from my E6653 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Yeah about that. Preloved you can pick one up for just north of 2 grand

Craftsman
    Must say I prefer the new one. Not sure what that says about me. Just seems to have bags of character and presence.

That's a stunning watch! One of my all time favourites, actually. That model you're after in blue is quite collectible and rare. Not as much as the homeplate, but it'll still set you back at least £10k. As far as I'm concerned, I see these vintage Tudors as definitely in the same league as many vintage Rolexes from the same era. Or better. To me, what Tudor did in the 70s with the Monte Carlos and the snowflakes was just outstanding. These models have also been appreciating somewhat in recent years, especially since all the heritage re-issues have come out (which are nice but nowhere near as cool as the original).

Incidentally, I walked past the Tudor shop in the Burlington arcade the other day and took a snap of some of their vintage offerings. Notice the blue one on the left...

Last edited by o u t a t i m e; 19th November 2017 at 01:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

With the date window at the 'six' position the Cyclops looks right, normally I cant abide the 'carbuncle'.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    That's a stunning watch! One of my all time favourites, actually. That model you're after in blue is quite collectible and rare. Not as much as the homeplate, but it'll still set you back at least £10k. As far as I'm concerned, I see these vintage Tudors as definitely in the same league as many vintage Rolexes from the same era. Or better. To me, what Tudor did in the 70s with the Monte Carlos and the snowflakes was just outstanding. These models have also been appreciating somewhat in recent years, especially since all the heritage re-issues have come out (which are nice but nowhere near as cool as the original).

Incidentally, I walked past the Tudor shop in the Burlington arcade the other day and took a snap of some of their vintage offerings. Notice the blue one on the left...

Yes Ive seen that watch in the window. Its a pretty decent example but was originally up for £15995, now is at £13. My issue with these watches is that they just dont seem to sell v quickly at all. I would hate to have serious money tied up in one and then have to sell it quickly. It would be a bloodbath

Quote Originally Posted by rc30matt View Post
    Yes Ive seen that watch in the window. Its a pretty decent example but was originally up for £15995, now is at £13. My issue with these watches is that they just dont seem to sell v quickly at all. I would hate to have serious money tied up in one and then have to sell it quickly. It would be a bloodbath
    Yes, I think £13k is probably still a couple grand too much. And I agree that the market for these is smallish... There are a lot less Tudor connoisseurs and collectors than, say, Rolex. But if you really like the watch and pay the right price, you'll be very happy with one of these and won't want to sell it. ;)

By the way, do you know by any chance what they're asking for the other two vintage watches in that window?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I have been looking at one of these, and can buy new from an AD for 2650. Does that sound like a good price to anyone?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I have been looking at one of these, and can buy new from an AD for 2650. Does that sound like a good price to anyone?

It sounds good to me !