closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: And the Rolex profiteering continues

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Get off the Piccadilly Line at the wrong station and every third bloke's wearing one, with red trousers and thinning hair
    Hahaha. Between Hammersmith and Green Park that is definitely the case.

On the tube! Just pretenders... chauffeur would be out of a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

And the Rolex profiteering continues

I think whether a watch ‘looks’ right, ugly, too big or small etc is purely subjective and ones own personal opinion. Its like wives (or husbands), mine wouldnt suit you and yours probably wouldnt suit me, one mans meat and all that.

It amazes me the amount of shite talk on here by, I assume adults, over what is right or wrong, and descending into some unnecessary personal and childish attacks from behind the keyboard.

Stuart

Get off the Piccadilly Line at the wrong station and every third bloke's wearing one, with red trousers and thinning hair
    Hahaha you’re not wrong!

Journeyman
    I think in the SS models blue and black are the ones I prefer.

I prefer the PM model with the roman numerals. I am not a fan of the baton dial.

One quick raid of Instagram later:

I'm not disputing your right to find these shots Not To Your Taste (and certainly most the clothes aren't to mine) but there's nothing abnormal here: 42mm is part of the landscape. I wear a 42mm watch on my 6⅝" wrist most days, one with a larger dial than the Skydweller has. The other three watches that get most the rest of my wristtime are 37mm, 34mm and 30mm. 42mm is part of a normal range for a meaningful proportion of the community of watchlovers, and there's nothing deficient in them for enjoying them.
    Love that!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Love that!
    So do I!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Love that!
    As well as actually looking really cool, I like how the '8' on the subdial is visible through the aperture in the hour hand. Nice design touch showing how the hands don't completely obscure that feature.

Thought that approval deserved an encore, so went in search of the account that had originally posted that photo to see if there were more shots

It's reminding me of the time I absent-mindedly matched an oxblood strap with my t-shirt

I would like to see the black version on a dark brown custom leather strap
    Last edited by Der Amf; 13th November 2017 at 21:01.

The blue dial looks stunning. Not convinced by wearing it with a bike chain though

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The scratch potential

Master
    I am very much in the minority but I still like the white dial, would be especially good in TT I think.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

It's like the inverse of the teenager wearing an Elizabeth Duke gold necklace with her tracky and her Croydon Facelift: putting a bit of crappy metal on display to magically balance the expensive clothes and shoes and car and watch and skincare regime, and assure everyone you're still 4REAL.

Master
    Best pic I've seen of the SkyD and on a pastel perlon with hippy bracelet. 3 things I'm not fond of forming a combo I like. Maybe I'm unwell.

I have to admit that the blue dial with the perlon is stunning, the strap taking the tone of the watch down a few notches. Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by You Only Live Twice View Post
    Found this in Berrys Nottingham at lunch. Almost £16K are they kidding! I have my name down for one of these and some ticket tout clone does this. Aaarrrggh!!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    This proves that money can't buy good taste.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

That looks a bit silly, like a child dressing up - whilst big watches are fully established as part of the look-at-me zeitgeist, people with scrawny wrists shouldn't expect to look good in them. Something 36mm or so would be infinitely better-proportioned. And let's not get started on the watch itself...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    That looks a bit silly, like a child dressing up - whilst big watches are fully established as part of the look-at-me zeitgeist, people with scrawny wrists shouldn't expect to look good in them. Something 36mm or so would be infinitely better-proportioned. And let's not get started on the watch itself...
    I don't really think the size is much if an issue. I've more of an issue with the naff Jeremy Clarkson style arm of bangles and bracelets. Looks more like an grown man pretending they are still a teenager.

Banned
    I have to agree, that looks bad.

Thanks for the input Magoo

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Thanks for the input Magoo
    It's an awkward, clumsy watch by any considered aesthetic sensibilities, and it looks too big for his little wrists. But, of course, it's a Rolex, so any rational assessment can be ignored in the rush to wave it under the nose of some other farkin' geeza in the bar.

Saying that, the one with the blue dial on the Perlon is less offensive.

Master
    This thread is pretty weird. The Sky Dweller is 42mm x 14.1mm whereas a simple Speedmaster Pro is 42mm x 14.1-14.3 (depending who you believe). The case back on the Sky Dweller is also far flatter so more of the midcase sits on or close to the wrist. I have 6.5”-6.75” skinny little wrists and the lugs on the Sky Dweller comfortably show wrist at the top and bottom, in real life, which is a fairly widely used test for watch size. If you don’t like the thing that’s your opinion but all the chat about it being a monster is factually incorrect in the context of watch sizes in 2017.

Maybe some don’t appreciate the impact of wide angle lenses on camera phones?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    This thread is pretty weird. The Sky Dweller is 42mm x 14.1mm whereas a simple Speedmaster Pro is 42mm x 14.1-14.3 (depending who you believe). The case back on the Sky Dweller is also far flatter so more of the midcase sits on or close to the wrist. I have 6.5”-6.75” skinny little wrists and the lugs on the Sky Dweller comfortably show wrist at the top and bottom, in real life, which is a fairly widely used test for watch size. If you don’t like the thing that’s your opinion but all the chat about it being a monster is factually incorrect in the context of watch sizes in 2017.

What C said.👍

Some people like to wave their oh-so-tasteful love of small watches with exactly the same ostentation that they perceive anyone wearing a non-petite watch to be displaying.

Think it's as much about the design as size (although it definitely looks too big in the picture I quoted) - it's clumsy and brash, perhaps more so in some iterations than others. Not too long ago, a Rolex looking like that would have been bought on a beach in a Turkey.

Banned
    Think it's as much about the design as size (although it definitely looks too big in the picture I quoted) - it's clumsy and brash, perhaps more so in some iterations than others. Not too long ago, a Rolex looking like that would have been bought on a beach in a Turkey.
    In a turkey Now I understand your mindset, it all reads better. I thought for a minute you were just one of those small twisted men who feel inferior due to the limited choice available.

All about the poultry.

Master
    I am sure that there will be plenty for sale in Turkey.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Denim. A splash of Hai Karate and a trim of the tache and away we go.
    J

Some people like to wave their oh-so-tasteful love of small watches with exactly the same ostentation that they perceive anyone wearing a non-petite watch to be displaying.
    I think those - aren't doing much 'waving'

Much less desire to 'display' - I feel

Master
    This thread is pretty weird. The Sky Dweller is 42mm x 14.1mm whereas a simple Speedmaster Pro is 42mm x 14.1-14.3 (depending who you believe).
    I was wearing my Speedmaster Pro when I checked out a Sky Dweller. The Speedy is not larger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I was wearing my Speedmaster Pro when I checked out a Sky Dweller. The Speedy is not larger.
    I’ve got one on my wrist and the other in my hand right now. They’re close enough to warrant comparison and the SkyDweller definitely sits flatter to the wrist.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I think those - aren't doing much 'waving'

Much less desire to 'display' - I feel
    Au contraire.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Au contraire.
    Fair enough - that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla..........

I like the heritage and workmanship, and others - by their own declaration ..... love the "Awesome presence"

Al

I think the blue and blue perlon look great head on, but I wonder how it looks side on? I'm thinking of the depth.

The perlon looks (to me) head on as though it is a two piece curved end strap and that's probably swaying me?

Looks like the usual one-piece to me.

Craftsman
    I apologize to the OP of this thread:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...=forum+changed

This place has most definitely changed. There's now a small subset of aggressively stupid people who seem to know very little about watches. Holding a negative opinion is fine, I think this watch is pretty bad, but these people are something else entirely.
    So true, I came to read the OPs comments about the Skydweller and came across at least 3 pathetic squabbles between other members...honestly, what the hell??

Looks like the usual one-piece to me.
    For clarity, yes, I know it is. I was referring to how it looked to me head on (like a two piece) and that's why I thought it looked so nice.

With it being a one piece, I was referring to how much it would 'stand up' when looked at from the side, and that I probably wouldn't be so keen.

Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    The new Air King has really grown on me and I particularly like the green/yellow on the dial. It's refreshingly different.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Since posting that picture I’ve given some thought to why I dislike it so much. Glancing at it, for me, it looks unbalanced and inconsistent in the dial and I now see that if it didn’t have the 3,6 and 9 markers and instead they were consistent with the others then I’d agree that it would be a refreshingly different option.

Master
    I quite like the new Air King - it's just got something a bit different about it. Would I buy one? Probably not.

I know Rolex doesn't like parts to go to waste, but those fat diver's-watch hands really look out of place on the new pseudo-AK. I suppose the brushed lugs are the one good thing about it; the current Milgauss range would look much better if it had them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I know Rolex doesn't like parts to go to waste, but those fat diver's-watch hands really look out of place on the new pseudo-AK. I suppose the brushed lugs are the one good thing about it; the current Milgauss range would look much better if it had them, too.
    Brushed Milgauss would be fantastic. Never a fan of Oyster PCL.

Brush it then. Can always restore the polish later.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Take everyone good about the Milgauss and everything good about the AK, combine them, and produce a great modern watch.

Is the AK dial some repurposed leftover from the explorer 1, or does it just look like it?

Take everyone good about the Milgauss and everything good about the AK, combine them, and produce a great modern watch.

Is the AK dial some repurposed leftover from the explorer 1, or does it just look like it?
    Agreed; swap the Milgauss' dial and handset (plus crystal if it's a GV) into the AK, and it's a decent watch.

And I'd be amazed if this AK wasn't simply a way to use up slow-selling Milgauss cases and leftover solid-numeral 2010-2016 Explorer dial blanks. It's pretty much the definition of "parts-bin special".