closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And the Rolex profiteering continues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    Agreed. Wouldn't wear it at £6K, let alone £16K. Each to his own I suppose.
    I imagine that they sell most of these to football players.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Not a fan of bi-metals, but this sort of works.

That looks good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johny View Post
    That looks good.
    I actually agree. I really like that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    That looks like a pimps watch!
    Who’s at least getting his end away, unlike many of those with blinkered views on here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Who’s at least getting his end away, unlike many of those with blinkered views on here.
    I’d rather have one off the wrist than be nuts deep in a hooker. Each to his own, eh?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I’d rather have one off the wrist than be nuts deep in a hooker. Each to his own, eh?
    You’d feel at home here for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    It's an Annual calendar from Rolex, in steel for a bargain price. What's not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The size. The ugly 24 hour wheel. The fact that it looks like a DJ but worse.

Besides the price and complication, the only desirable thing I can see is the service cost. None are visusal features of the watch itself.
    Last edited by JP Chestnut; 11th November 2017 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The size. The ugly 24 hour wheel.
    If you don't regard 42mm as a cross to bear, the size isn't objectively problematic.

I have always been particularly admiring of how the 24 hours wheel has been done, the bevelled sides seem especially attractive on the less dark dials, eg

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    It always makes me inwardly lol to see some of the damning style statements directed towards Rolex (or pp) by their detractors.
    It's almost de rigeur.

Journeyman
    Siuya.
    Last edited by Bob Mc; 12th November 2017 at 10:17.

Master
    It's a combination of diameter, thickness, and shiny design.

Visually, it's a DJ that's much larger than a speedmaster pro. That's a nonstarter to me. I'd love the movement in a 36mm DD case without the second timezone feature.

There's no doubt in my mind it's the most robust AC movement ever made. It's everything else I don't care for.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I imagine that they sell most of these to football players.

Last edited by Bob Mc; 12th November 2017 at 10:07.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    It always makes me inwardly lol to see some of the damning style statements directed towards Rolex (or pp) by their detractors.
    It's almost de rigeur.
    I love Rolex. Just not this one. Feel free to lol all day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love Rolex. Just not this one. Feel free to lol all day.
    I wasn't referencing you. No idea why you think I might.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mc View Post
    Lol. Couldn't have put it better myself 👍
    No doubt

Master
    IMHO Rolex make some of the ugliest watches out there and these are one of ugliest.
    Glad it was your honest opinion and not just your opinion. Bet it felt good getting that of your chest fella 
    Last edited by Devonian; 11th November 2017 at 18:16.

Master
    Rolex have created some of the most loved, and iconic, watches ever. The Submariner and Day-Date just for a start, you can fill-in the rest. There are quite a few. But it also has the occasional ' bad hair day' with some designs. The Pearlmaster comes to mind ; the Skydweller is another. To my eyes it is an ugly mess. Rolex should have another go.They surely can do better.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Rolex have created some of the most loved, and iconic, watches ever. The Submariner and Day-Date just for a start, you can fill-in the rest. There are quite a few. But it also has the occasional ' bad hair day' with some designs. The Pearlmaster comes to mind ; the Skydweller is another. To my eyes it is an ugly mess. Rolex should have another go.They surely can do better.
    You forgot the monstrosity that is the current Air King but let's face it, every brand has its horrors.

Besides the price and complication, the only desirable thing I can see is the service cost. None are visusal features of the watch itself.
    Looks are subjective. I love it. Actually think it looks better in the steel variants and the 24hr subdial is less pronounced somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You forgot the monstrosity that is the current Air King but let's face it, every brand has its horrors.
    Call me odd, but I actually like that. Yes, given a choice I would swop the 3,6,9 for printed 15,30,45 to give the dial more consistency, but the yellow and green colours are superb.

If someone wants to knock one out on the cheap in SC I would be circling

Banned
    There’s too many members strayed over from the ‘Show us your Gshock thread’ now to make it worth discussion. All the ‘horrors’ shown remain difficult to buy, but there’s loads of Casio’s available from most pound shops. Does that tell us anything?

Personally I’m not a fan of the Skydweller to the point I’d want to own one, nor perhaps the airking, or the blnr come to think of it, but none deserve most of the comments which can be read here.

There’s too many members strayed over from the ‘Show us your Gshock thread’ now to make it worth discussion. All the ‘horrors’ shown remain difficult to buy, but there’s loads of Casio’s available from most pound shops. Does that tell us anything?

Personally I’m not a fan of the Skydweller to the point I’d want to own one, nor perhaps the airking, or the blnr come to think of it, but none deserve most of the comments which can be read here.
    Quite a few things IMO. Rolex are overpriced for what they are/do and, as PT Barnum is reputed to have said, 'there's a sucker born every minute!'
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
    Looks are subjective. I love it. Actually think it looks better in the steel variants and the 24hr subdial is less pronounced somehow.

I agree 100% that the SS version looks better. The stick markers are much cleaner than what's on the gold version. I'm sure it's much more comfortable as well. The gold version on bracelet was remarkably heavy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Quite a few things IMO. Rolex are overpriced for what they are/do and, as PT Barnum is reputed to have said, 'there's a sucker born every minute!'
    They’re only overpriced if you can’t afford them. The common denominator of the naysayers. As for Barnum, is he a member too?

Master
    The skydweller is a good value, looks aside, among the class of AC watches. As far as I know, only omega makes a cheaper AC and it's even worse looking and a less technically impressive solution.

If you want to argue that all watches are overpriced, I'd agree. They'd be overpriced to my taste at 50% off retail. Regardless of my ability to pay current prices.

They’re only overpriced if you can’t afford them. The common denominator of the naysayers. As for Barnum, is he a member too?
    Completely incorrect. If I had £1m just spend on watches I wouldn't buy a Sky Dweller because I don't like it. Why is that so hard to understand? I'd buy a few Rolex pieces (mainly vintage) but why would I buy something I don't like because someone else thinks I should?

Craftsman
    two tone is pretty bad at the best of times, but alongside that white dial is utterly rank. Couldn't pay me to wear it, they really need to sort that dial out!

Banned
    Completely incorrect. If I had £1m just spend on watches I wouldn't buy a Sky Dweller because I don't like it. Why is that so hard to understand? I'd buy a few Rolex pieces (mainly vintage) but why would I buy something I don't like because someone else thinks I should?
    My comments were reference to those stating a certain watch is overpriced. Taste is a completely different matter, although your negative comments regarding the airking didn’t have anything to do with the OP, so appeared just a poor man trolling.. Good luck on tonight’s lottery by the way.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow, we have a few low post count muppets in today. Welcome guys!

My comments were reference to those stating a certain watch is overpriced. Taste is a completely different matter, although your negative comments regarding the airking didn’t have anything to do with the OP, so appeared just a poor man trolling.. Good luck on tonight’s lottery by the way.
    Poor man trolling? Are you for real? It was a comment based on my tastes and in response to the post above it. The only reason you ever post is to troll.

I don't play the lottery, it's a mugs game.

Banned
    Poor man trolling? Are you for real? It was a comment based on my tastes and in response to the post above it. The only reason you ever post is to troll.

I don't play the lottery, it's a mugs game.
    It’s all about perception, as you’ve shown, clearly. Scratch cards then?

It’s all about perception, as you’ve shown, clearly. Scratch cards then?
    I'd love to know what you're on about but I'd have to give a shit first. I don't gamble as it's a mug's game.

Keep trolling and your tiny post count will quickly increase I'm sure.

I can easily afford several as it happens. But I'd rather spend that sort of money on something other than a mass produced, deliberately restricted supply wristwatch with excessive writing on the dial and BOLIX BOLIX BOLIX all the way round the rehaut.

I'm currently tempted by a white gold Cellini, but again feel they are overpriced for what they are, though they don't have all that stupid printing on the dial and do have a nice clean rehaut.

A certain Deusirae, (sadly no longer posting here), had a wonderful original Milgauss a while back which he was offering for sale. Would have happily bought that if I'd had the funds at the time - sadly, we were moving house at the time and funds were tied up. Way way nicer that the modern supposed 'sports' models. Ever seen a sports Rolex being worn by someone participating in a sport?

YMMV.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Banned
    I'd love to know what you're on about but I'd have to give a sh** first. I don't gamble as it's a mug's game.

Keep trolling and your tiny post count will quickly increase I'm sure.
    You do care, that’s why you get all angry and what has the number of posts got to do with anything? All I’ve seen from you are gawdy nato straps and stories of a family member who’s been into an Omega store. Ah, that was a post slagging down a watch too wasn’t it. Trolling for sure, but with a huge chip on your shoulder it’s hard to keep it subjective.

You do care, that’s why you get all angry and what has the number of posts got to do with anything? All I’ve seen from you are gawdy nato straps and stories of a family member who’s been into an Omega store. Ah, that was a post slagging down a watch too wasn’t it. Trolling for sure, but with a huge chip on your shoulder it’s hard to keep it subjective.
    I really don’t care and I’m certainly not angry. I could have comfortably bought the Sea Dweller I’ve always fancied earlier this year (I could have bought two actually) but decided to use those funds for something else so no affordability issue and therefore no chip. You just keep on trolling.

Gotta agree that while the movement is quality, the looks aren't really for me — and I've come around to actually liking the fluted-bezel DJ.

One thing that's especially noticeable on these big cases is what a mistake the polished-lug decision was. This watch would certainly look better if they were brushed.

Banned
    I really don’t care and I’m certainly not angry. I could have comfortably bought the Sea Dweller I’ve always fancied earlier this year (I could have bought two actually) but decided to use those funds for something else so no affordability issue and therefore no chip. You just keep on trolling.
    Bully for you. If you’d have bought the SD, you could have posted about it, so members could freely say how horrible it was. Someone always does don’t they? But it matters not as you didn’t buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Gotta agree that while the movement is quality, the looks aren't really for me — and I've come around to actually liking the fluted-bezel DJ.

One thing that's especially noticeable on these big cases is what a mistake the polished-lug decision was. This watch would certainly look better if they were brushed.
    I also really like the fluted bezel DJ and I’m a huge fan of the DJ I’m general. It really is just the aesthetics of this that I don’t like.

If you’d have bought the SD, you could have posted about it, so members could freely say how horrible it was. Someone always does don’t they?
    Nah, everyone loves a Sea Dweller ;)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ever seen a sports Rolex being worn by someone participating in a sport?
    Yeah. Quite often.

Master
    Ever seen a sports Rolex being worn by someone participating in a sport?

Looks like its got to "reveal your bank statement time" again..

This isn't even one of my "sports" ones.

But yeah — I'll wear any Rolex of mine skiing, hiking, cycling, motorcycling, rowing without hesitation.

To get the OP’s thread back on track I don’t blame them for trying to sell it at that price, if it’s market value it’ll sell. The market will define its value.

I can easily afford several as it happens. But I'd rather spend that sort of money on something other than a mass produced, deliberately restricted supply wristwatch with excessive writing on the dial and BOLIX BOLIX BOLIX all the way round the rehaut.

I'm currently tempted by a white gold Cellini, but again feel they are overpriced for what they are, though they don't have all that stupid printing on the dial and do have a nice clean rehaut.

A certain Deusirae, (sadly no longer posting here), had a wonderful original Milgauss a while back which he was offering for sale. Would have happily bought that if I'd had the funds at the time - sadly, we were moving house at the time and funds were tied up. Way way nicer that the modern supposed 'sports' models. Ever seen a sports Rolex being worn by someone participating in a sport?

YMMV.
    Vintage milgauss? About 25k iirc. I remember at the time thinking how expensive it was. How wrong i was. Isn't hindsight wonderful?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post

I really liked the fluted five digit DJ. The skydweller is everything I don't like about the six digit version turned up to 10,000.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=Devonian;4558112]Glad it was your honest opinion and not just your opinion. Bet it felt good getting that of your chest fella
    Last edited by Bob Mc; 12th November 2017 at 10:05.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Wow, we have a few low post count muppets in today. Welcome guys!
    Last edited by Bob Mc; 12th November 2017 at 10:04.

Journeyman
    [QUOTE=sarky;4558176]
    Last edited by Bob Mc; 12th November 2017 at 10:05.

And a few muppets with lots of posts.
    :)