closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to me of “tactical” backpacks.

Master

Talk to me of “tactical” backpacks.

Evening chaps. I know that there’s them on here who enjoy a good bag (if SC is anything to go by), and I’m after a little advice.
    Firstly a little background. I live in Sussex and travel around what I consider to be a fair amount for work. This week I was in London Monday, Liverpool Tuesday, Halifax and Leeds today, I’m in Horsham tomorrow, and I’m visiting Glasgow and Edinburgh on Friday. I travel everywhere by public transport, and that is a fairly typical week for me. I normally spend 2 or 3 nights a week away from home.
    For the last 5 years I’ve had one of these which goes everywhere with me;

I’m now on my 3rd, and I can’t really fault the bag. Considering the abuse I give it, it stands up pretty well, but the 3rd one is now firmly on its way out.
    I travel light. In that bag goes my laptop, chargers, mouse, headset, leads etc - basically everything I need for work including notepad, pens etc.
    Also, I have a few pills and potions (Berocca, head ache pills, etc) toothbrush, toothpaste, contact lenses and emergency underwear in case of an unscheduled overnight stay. Then I just slip the relevant number of shirts, ties, pants and socks when I’m staying away. Oh, and I always have a 2l bottle of water with me, and I never leave home without my trusty Leatherman!
    So, I feel like treating myself to something a little more durable / fit for purpose. I’ve looked at Saddleback leather stuff, but I don’t really think it’s my style, and so I got to thinking about a nice tactical / molle type of bag. I often see the odd one for sale here and there on SC.
    The only problem is, I know nothing about them. Can anybody make any recommendations, either for a particular bag or for a decent comparison site??
    Whatever I end up with needs to be not too big / not too small (my current bag is just right) and above all quality and durable. Money isn’t really much of an object, I fancy a treat and I’m not worried too much about paying as such.
    All advice welcomed.
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    How big is your current bag then? As in litre capacity?

If you're really not too worried about budget then a Goruck bag would be great - available in various sizes, it sounds like a GR1 or GR2 would work for you. Have a google, they are fantastic!

Master
    Hmmmm, good question! I’ve no idea, I just round it in a cupboard at work and used it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    How big is your current bag then? As in litre capacity?
    Google tells me 20 litres.

I had a 5.11 Rush and sold it, wasn't any more practical than a regular decent backpack and in fact the internal storage wasn't very well thought out. It also stood out. The only ones I'd entertain would be the hazard4 patrol packs or TAD gear which have just enough unique features to make it worthwhile.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I had an Antler daysack for years, very difficult to find a replacement when it was time. I ended up with a Wenger one, plenty of choice in their range (I prefer one with lots of pockets to separate all the crap I travel with), bought it in the end from TKMax! Sub £50 but they are reasonable value even at full price, well made bits of kit.

Cheers,

Plug

You could even bring your girlfriend along with this kit!

Master
    Ive sworn by one of these
    Wenger 600635 SYNERGY 16" Laptop Backpack , Padded laptop compartment with iPad/Tablet / eReader Pocket in Black / Grey {27 Litres} https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000NONH..._O69aAb5WMTC6E

For years, I had to replace the first one after around 9 years service of travelling around the world the second one is 3 years old and going strong.

If you want top of the range tactical kit, you may search ‘Kifaru’. The chase will be interesting (order from US) and your wallet will cry but you’ll have something that will take everything you can throw at it and ask for more.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    Saddle bags look really nice....
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Saddle bags look really nice....
    Indeed. There may be a certain amount of patriotism at play, but I honestly think Savotta is qualitywise up there with the best.

Looks like Ray Mears stocks it in the UK. As retailers go, I can heartily recommend Varusteleka. A smallish Finnish outfit; they truly strive for excellence in service.

Have you checked Tumi? Superb quality...

Heinnie Haynes may be worth a look. https://www.heinnie.com/carry/bags
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Heinnie Haynes may be worth a look. https://www.heinnie.com/carry/bags
    Good shout.

I have one of these that gets used for various things:
    https://www.heinnie.com/maxpedition-vulture-ii-backpack

It's a decent size, tough and has molle for adding extras if so desired.

Rich.

Master
    I can recommend the Maxpedition and Karrimor Sf bags.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    If you want top of the range tactical kit, you may search ‘Kifaru’. The chase will be interesting (order from US) and your wallet will cry but you’ll have something that will take everything you can throw at it and ask for more.
    Just had a look on their site. The backpack gallery seems to suggest they are popular with hunters! 😳

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I'd like to order one of these please, size S
    http://finn-savotta.fi/en/tuotteet/comfort-lady/
    Shipping might be a problem though.

I swear by PacSafe products. The backpacks are very secure and very comfortable.

I don’t own an Osprey backpack- but they are highly thought of also

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    I'd like to order one of these please, size S
    http://finn-savotta.fi/en/tuotteet/comfort-lady/
    Shipping might be a problem though.
    I can try to sort it out if you wish. With a quick search I was able to find a store that says they have it in stock, albeit in black colour. Give me a shout if you want me to go for one. I can do an extended search for the pink one too if you'd rather have one of those.

I must say this is an imported product made of 100% brushed polyester. This is not one of the Savotta products I'm endorsing as being at the very top. This is probably as good or bad as any other £15 base layer.

Edit. I can probably get the black one for about 20€ and the pink one for about 30€. I can post it to the UK for 5ish €.
    Last edited by Possu; 9th November 2017 at 15:39.

Master
    I've not tried one as they're new, but the new Douchebags look well thought out.
    https://douchebags.com/the-ace

There's only one man in here that is qualified to talk about tactical back packs. And his name is......

... I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

The clue is rhymes with 'chimp'
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    There's only one man in here that is qualified to talk about tactical back packs. And his name is......

... I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.

The clue is rhymes with 'chimp'
    Or Pimp or Wimp or Gimp...even Shrimp ?

Tac-Cat to the G&D....CallingTac-Cat to the G&D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Tac-Cat to the G&D....CallingTac-Cat to the G&D
    Might be a bit small for the op

Master
    I'v had a couple of maxpedition messenger bags, theses are quite heavy duty, used them for carrying water, tools, all sorts.
    Lasted me about 5 years before ripping/coming apart after a lot of hammer.

Kifaru stuff, SJ mentions ^ are supposed to be even better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o5URIFRgVK8
    Last edited by Karl; 9th November 2017 at 19:12.

Master
    Not "tactical" so chronically lacking in loops from which to hang grenades and large knives but I have one and it is very good and the reviews on the site mirror my experience:

https://www.ec-bc.com/hercules-laptop-backpack.html

The link is to the company site but you can find them on Amazon in the UK. The one in the above link is 20l but they do larger ones too, which might be better for the amount you squash in:

https://www.ec-bc.com/lance-exec-daypack.html

Journeyman
    Miltec Molle bacpack

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I've used North Face Big Shot backpacks for years. My first one only got replaced because I managed to tear a hole in it through my own carelessness.

Fits my 15 inch macbook pro. Lots of pockets good support and compression straps. Light too. About £60.

- - - Updated - - -

I've used North Face Big Shot backpacks for years. My first one only got replaced because I managed to tear a hole in it through my own carelessness.

Fits my 15 inch macbook pro. Lots of pockets good support and compression straps. Light too. About £60.

Journeyman
    I went through a phase when I liked 'tactical' bags, with heaps of MOLLE loops etc. I still have this:

http://www.specopsbrand.com/packs-ba...ault-pack.html

Spec Ops Brand! Tactical Holds Everything!

To be fair, it is made in the USA. And does hold everything. 40 litres, I've lived out of this pack for weeks (with access to laundry facilities).

Journeyman
    To be honest, tactical styling is a bit silly unless you're in the jungle.

For something quite classy, American-made and can be bought in London, have you tried Filson?

Some fantastic stuff made from twill and bridle leather. This stuff gets better with age.

I have the Original Briefcase, which is everyone's gateway drug into the brand.

https://www.filson.com

London store is in Soho.

9 & 13 Newburgh St, Soho
    London W1F 7RS
    20-7434-3007

Talk to me of “tactical” backpacks.

Small and lightweight with a functional appearance, carried by urban trendy's wearing jeans and brown brogues, contents, iPad in leather case + charger, M&S ''meal deal'' for lunch and tweed flat cap (to co-ordinate with ''skyfall'' jacket) in the event of rain.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Small and lightweight with a functional appearance, carried by urban trendy's wearing jeans and brown brogues, contents, iPad in leather case + charger, M&S ''meal deal'' for lunch and tweed flat cap (to co-ordinate with ''skyfall'' jacket) in the event of rain.
    You forgot to mention the incredibly tight drainpipe style pants and very pointed Court Jester style shoes that seem to be fashionable amongst metrosexuals nowadays.

You forgot to mention the incredibly tight drainpipe style pants and very pointed Court Jester style shoes that seem to be fashionable amongst metrosexuals nowadays.
    Oi! Is my webcam still on?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    and the extremely coiffured and groomed facial hair...its the big beards with the hair pulled into a top-knot that really gets me.

Goruck GR2 or Gr1
    Triple Aught Design EDC
    Prometheus Design Werk SHADO. I have a black one that i could move on.

I have more bags than days of the week !-)

Master
    In an office environment I'd have one of those two wheeled, pull along bag trolley all in one jobbys, usually red or green checked canvas.

Currently not cheap because of $ exchange, but www.tombihn.com do some seriously good backpacks with great internal storage/organisation options (laptop sleeves, cable tidies, clothes cubes) etc. Hugely impressed with my Tom Bihn bag which I've had for 6 years - not a mark on it and as good as new.

Journeyman
    More made in the USA canvas packs.

https://www.duluthpack.com/

Their flagship pack is the Wanderer.

https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks.../wanderer.html

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post
    Currently not cheap because of $ exchange, but www.tombihn.com do some seriously good backpacks with great internal storage/organisation options (laptop sleeves, cable tidies, clothes cubes) etc. Hugely impressed with my Tom Bihn bag which I've had for 6 years - not a mark on it and as good as new.
    I got a Tom Bihn Smart Alec a year or so ago and it's a brilliant bag, especially with the extra pouches that can attach to the outside, but unfortunately is a little short for me. I need to sell it, but haven't got round to it yet. If anyone is interested then PM me, it's all black.

I also have a Mission Workshop Fitzroy on SC.

Neither are overtly tactical as they aren't covered in Molle, but still made with "military-spec" materials so will last a long time.

Blog Entries
    Just found this thread, me and "tac cat" have been "RTU" tactical gear returned to the QM, i now use a leather messenger bag, i love the smell!, (no gimp mask to match,,,at the moment)
    "tac cat" is pissed off with me, he misses the "tac" life, hes in the garden at the moment setting traps for the local mouse and rat population, god bless him, he will carry on the fight!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tesco 5p. You can get loads for your £200. They’re very tactical and can be covert or overt placed about the body.

And besides they’re like a bottom hole - everyone has one.

I can recommend Datsusara bags, I've got the Battlepack Core and the Spartan Bag.

They are solidly made, well thought out and a decent company to deal with if you have any issues.

Their full range of bags can be found here: https://www.dsgear.com/collections/all-bags

Whether you ski or not Dakine take some beating. I bought one about 7 years ago and use it almost daily as my gym bag, it still shows almost no signs of wear and tear, it feels indestructible.

Kreiga

Motorcycle gear.
    Well designed
    Waterproof, all day comfortable.
    Not cheap...but worth every penny.

Deuter make great rucksacks similar to your picture.

My current one has been on my back with a laptop, toiletries and full change of clothes every weekday for around 5 years and it's still perfect even though I've probably cycled 20k miles with it. 100x better than targus.

Last edited by Tifa; 17th November 2017 at 01:13.