timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Always check the bill!

Master

Always check the bill!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 253002.stm

Some interesting news stories around today :lol:

Nigel

Sounds like somewhere NOT to eat. :evil: And I positively hate places where they include a service charge, even though you can always refuse to pay it......... :evil: :evil:
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

I've always had to pay for that :twisted:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master
    What amazed me (more than the f-word) was how cheap the food is in comparison to what you'd pay in London.

Grand Master
    Read that, I thought it rather amusing .. and at least it was free!
    /vince ..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikosF
    What amazed me (more than the f-word) was how cheap the food is in comparison to what you'd pay in London.

Everything is relative. I see a 1/2 wing starter for £ 7.90, which is about 12 euros. For that amount I can eat an entire midday worker's menu in tnhe auberge next door, meaning a starter, a main course, cheese, dessert, a bottle of decent table wine and a cup of the best espresso in 20 kms (for that matter, the food is usually excellent, too). This in France, where the average quality of food served is usually already on a different level from Britain (or the Netherlands, or Germany, or... ). And no service charge, but always four kisses from madame le chef, whose mission in life is to ensure that big strong men who do hard physical work are kept well fed.

When we were building our house, we ate there every day together with the construction team. At midday, one eats what the chef decides. It was a Friday, traditionally 'fish day', so we got trout. There were eight of us, and everyone got a whole trout, head, tails, the works, a big fish, plus rice, veggies, everything (that was after starters and before cheese, dessert and coffee). One of the carpenters was a 16-year old apprentice, an athletic chap who climbed all over the roof beams. He shyly mentioned that he really did not like fish. 'So you eat rice', madame le chef said. As we all devoured our trouts, he sat there picking at his plate of rice... until she came waltzing in from the kitchen with a big plate stacked with steaks, rapidly done just for him, as she would not accept a young strong guy like that going back on the roof without a hearty meal. The rest of us divided up the trout that was left over. There was no charge for the extra steaks.
    At the time, 2002, the whole meal was 9 euros, 10 if you included the coffee. Nowadays it's 11 euros without the espresso. Inflation! Horrible! :wink:

Craftsman
    I can see it from the point of view of the staff though. I once got banned from all the restaurants on the town I was living in for singing Happy Birthday to anyone who walked in the door while we were having a meal. Some people found it funny, but they never seemed to include the management. :lol: :lol: :lol: