closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch shops in New York and prices

Journeyman

Watch shops in New York and prices

Travelling through Heathrow so hopefully Rolex may have something in to ease the pain of my missing the Sea Dweller 50th. But what about watch shops in New York and how are the US prices compared to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Travelling through Heathrow so hopefully Rolex may have something in to ease the pain of my missing the Sea Dweller 50th. But what about watch shops in New York and how are the US prices compared to the UK.
    Price alone with exchange rate it’s more than UK.
    Add sales state tax.....makes it way more than UK.
    Arrive back in Uk and declare it (don’t be tempted to evade), pay 20% VAT....

Suddenly it’s the most expensive example in the world.

My advice is enjoy your window shopping in USA, keep purchases to the UK.

Craftsman
    I popped into Rolex stores in NY last week and they had very little / no stock of stainless sports

Master
    Stock levels in the USA are generally good to great. NYC and SF being two notable exceptions.

Went earlier this year and prices were very high and no stock of s/s sports

Journeyman
    My life is always late to getting bargains! If it's a watch shoppers desert I will have to drown my sorrows! But even then I guess in NY the prices will make my eyes water.

I just returned from a week there last Thursday and the watch prices are not good.
    Have yourself a drink instead and enjoy the great city.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Or people could just make up their own minds, novel as that may sound...

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Or people could just make up their own minds, novel as that may sound...
    Indeed, only offering advice. Another forum has a post regarding someone being pursued for unpaid VAT/penalties on a Watch. I’d hate to see that happen to someone who was trying to beat lists and end up being stung.

Journeyman
    Obviously as doing anything else would be illegal!

I can't believe anyone would even think of not declaring and ensuring they pay the correct level of VAT.
    Last edited by pingu; 7th November 2017 at 22:38.

Obviously as doing anything else would illegal!

I can't believe anyone would even think of not declaring and ensuring they pay the correct level of VAT.
    Exactly. I’m surprised the number of brits that think the USA is a cheap way to get available Watches.

They’re also encouraged by the USA posters saying “come here for your BLNR/LV and make a vacation out of it” lol

Ignorance on both sides I think.

Obviously as doing anything else would illegal!

You make a good point and one I agree with but are there any definite rules supplied by HMRC?

I have been away from the UK for ten plus years and bought several new watches during this time, mostly in Singapore and obviously paid the 7% GST (VAT equivalent) as a Singapore resident.

Local VAT has been paid at purchase, my Daytona for example is 9 years old, what would the situation be if and when I brought them back?

Master
    Indeed, only offering advice. Another forum has a post regarding someone being pursued for unpaid VAT/penalties on a Watch. I’d hate to see that happen to someone who was trying to beat lists and end up being stung.
    I'm not saying don't pay VAT, but it's very much personal choice knowing the risks. I've said it before, but that story on the 'other forum' didn't ring true when I read it...

I suppose I get fed up with the sanctimonius preaching about VAT. It's nothing to do with anyone here, quite frankly, unoess they are HMRC officers. Take the risk for fags, booze, watches, diamonds, gold - it's personal choice!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by proby24 View Post
    You make a good point and one I agree with but are there any definite rules supplied by HMRC?

I have been away from the UK for ten plus years and bought several new watches during this time, mostly in Singapore and obviously paid the 7% GST (VAT equivalent) as a Singapore resident.

Local VAT has been paid at purchase, my Daytona for example is 9 years old, what would the situation be if and when I brought them back?
    Quite frankly, you would be due to pay the VAT on bringing them into the UK.

However, it's a murky subject! You are allowed to travel through, or holiday in the UK with your own jewellery and personal effects without being subject to importation legislation. So, if you visit, the chances of being asked about a 9 yr old watch are quite frankly close to zero. If you visit and leave the pieces here, then you're supposed to declare.

Also, if you buy in the UK, claim the VAT back, then if you keep the object ex-UK for 6 months, then you can legally bring it back without fear of being subject to duty/import.

It's so confused that they really do leave the subject alone - most of the time!