closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Tour Season Two

Testing the Kia, is May’s a Milgauss?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

May looked less swollen in the new episode

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    May looked less swollen in the new episode
    He did. Then again we don't know in what order they shot the series. It's still summery out through the tent window.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    So was the rolex real or fake? :p
    Hammond always wore a Sub. The mangled watch was an SD.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    That's what I thought but maybe it is just the quality of my TV or my stream, but I couldn't spot the HEV, but did notice that there was no cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Testing the Kia, is May’s a Milgauss?
    Yep! I sadly rewound a few seconds just to confirm.

Cheers.

Episode 5, Jeremy's "Farmkana" ... Aaaand the wheels have come off. Shame as the second series was doing quite well until this point. I'm hoping the obvious lack of material is temporary and they just threw this one into the middle of the series as filler. Even so, it's worryingly bad. If it was James' or Richard's film I suspect Jeremy would have nixed it as not good enough, but he can't as it's his own self-indulgent failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Episode 5, Jeremy's "Farmkana" ... Aaaand the wheels have come off. Shame as the second series was doing quite well until this point. I'm hoping the obvious lack of material is temporary and they just threw this one into the middle of the series as filler. Even so, it's worryingly bad. If it was James' or Richard's film I suspect Jeremy would have nixed it as not good enough, but he can't as it's his own self-indulgent failure.
    I thought ep. 4 was terrible. Stale and slow.

I haven't watched Episode 4 or 5 yet...

My lack of urgency to do so is probably indicative of my take it or leave it attitude to the show overall.

I want it to be great compulsive viewing, but it just isn't.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Latest episode was the worst of a very bad bunch. Oh dear.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the New Years Eve party we went to I was chatting to a chap (aged around fifty) who was an absolute die hard "Jezza" fan (he kept referring to Clarkson as such), and was very clear that he thinks The Grand Tour is absolutely brilliant.

It was actually a bit of an odd conversation - I said I thought Top Gear with the three in it's heyday was some of the best TV ever produced - North Pole, American Roadtrip, Toyboata etc, but that TGT was clearly not in the same league. He really didn't agree. It left me wondering what he was seeing that I wasn't.

What did come across was just how committed some Clarkson (and May/Hammond) fans are. It was pretty clear that he would consider an hour of "Jezza" belching on Prime to be worthy of an Emmy.

When I told him that I had met Clarkson a couple of times through work in the 1990's, he looked like he was going to soil himself with excitement and had to call his wife over to tell her that I was thus blessed.

It made me think there is an element of "The Trump Effect" at play here - some people are so in thrall that it simply doesn't matter what their idol does in any way.

Anyhow, I've digressed a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I thought it was going quite well, until the farmkana bit - maybe a few minutes? Oh ok a few more? Nope! Far far far too long, and then they spent the rest of the episode talking about it and showing more!

I realise I don't have to watch it, but I just hope for a return to the specials, you know, grand tour stuff...

I enjoyed the monsters in the desert bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I enjoyed the monsters in the desert bit.
    Agreed. Proper toys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I thought it was going quite well, until the farmkana bit - maybe a few minutes? Oh ok a few more? Nope! Far far far too long, and then they spent the rest of the episode talking about it and showing more!

I realise I don't have to watch it, but I just hope for a return to the specials, you know, grand tour stuff...
    I said I wasn’t going to watch this series but as I love cars I couldn’t resist. I have to say I’ve enjoyed the second series and even found the farmkana funny even though it did go on a bit too long. Jeremy Clarkson has to be inspiration for the Motivation weight loss thread.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Just watched that episode, how did that watch go so mangled, if he was wearing it his arm would look like one of my barbecued sausages!! Only assume he wasn’t wearing it or more typical of Grand Tour... telly bollocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    ... or more typical of Grand Tour... telly bollocks!
    This.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    Just watched that episode, how did that watch go so mangled, if he was wearing it his arm would look like one of my barbecued sausages!! Only assume he wasn’t wearing it or more typical of Grand Tour... telly bollocks!
    This is why I actually enjoyed the past 2 episodes, especially the latest. Good on them for actually achnowledging how staged the whole thing is rather than just try and convince you they do an entire roadtrip etc in one take. You watch something like Would I Lie To You and they'd have you think that those guys can just pull a great joke/line out of thin air at the drop of a hat. The reality is very different and I find it refreshing that they are admitting it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    This is why I actually enjoyed the past 2 episodes, especially the latest. Good on them for actually achnowledging how staged the whole thing is rather than just try and convince you they do an entire roadtrip etc in one take. You watch something like Would I Lie To You and they'd have you think that those guys can just pull a great joke/line out of thin air at the drop of a hat. The reality is very different and I find it refreshing that they are admitting it.
    Are you suggesting that Lee Mack's quick-witted responses are an illusion of TV editing?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Are you suggesting that Lee Mack's quick-witted responses are an illusion of TV editing?!
    A good number of them, yes. He is a funny guy, bht It is no secret that all of these panel shows are edited together. I couldn't care less though. I like the show, not the making of :) if it makes me smile then who cares how it is made, so long as I smile. Just nice for them to admit that they don't just press record and an hour later they have an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    ... I said I thought Top Gear with the three in it's heyday was some of the best TV ever produced - North Pole, American Roadtrip, Toyboata etc, but that TGT was clearly not in the same league. ...
    Grand Tour is woeful I find. And I find myself fast forwarding much of it. May looks as though he has the beginnings of Parkinsons and I can't help thinking of the comment from this forum someone made about Hammond looking like an ageing swinger. Clarkson seems to be going through the motions because of a financial handcuff deal or he's hesitant to be outspoken.

The C/H/M golden days are in the crusher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzwXmPuSFNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK4wzBYmTIo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I haven't watched Episode 4 or 5 yet...

My lack of urgency to do so is probably indicative of my take it or leave it attitude to the show overall.

I want it to be great compulsive viewing, but it just isn't.
    I’m in exactly the same place, used to look forward to it & was glued to the tv on a Sunday.

Now I’m a couple of episodes behind, no real drive to watch them. Plus despite knowing lots of people with prime who watch the show, nobody talks about it in the office; perhaps the on-demand nature has also lost some of the ritual of the show & Sunday nights.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I watched five - I did love the tank bit in the desert. And the whole Farm fiasco started well, but it did go on rather long. I wonder how much of the 'outtakes' were setup?

Craftsman
    It’s a pity they TG went pop, TGT is a pathetic shadow strangled by legal restrictions and the new TG just has no chemistry.

I doubt we’ll see something like the original TG again, didn’t it take about 20 years to arrive at the successful formula that it ended up with?

I just watched the latest show and with the exception of the "stars in a quite expensive car" found it rather enjoyable.

All good fun

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I enjoyed the last one too, the bit with supposedly dead sheep all over the field should wind the bunny huggers up a bit!

The last bit of ep5 just went on and on, way too long, and when they finally killed it the bloody episode ended, I personally was expecting another feature so was left disappointed.

Master
    Just watched the latest one and enjoyed it. Bet there were some twitchy bums on the ski slope. Kiefer Sutherland can certainly throw a car around too.

Craftsman
    Last episode wasn't bad at all, more like of old, and a few hairy moments on the ski slopes. Enjoyed it.

Did anyone else think Kiefer Sutherland looked waxy, for want of a better word? Kinda like an old man who's pickled himself with whisky?

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    Last episode wasn't bad at all, more like of old, and a few hairy moments on the ski slopes. Enjoyed it.
    Agreed. Better.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Did anyone else think Kiefer Sutherland looked waxy, for want of a better word? Kinda like an old man who's pickled himself with whisky?
    He's looked that way for quite some time now - not sure if perhaps it is some cosmetic surgery that went a bit awry.

Just watched the most recent three this weekend - actually thought they were a fair bit better.

Still not a lot of content, but what was there was more akin to TG when they were doing it.

Hope they sustain the improvements.

Master
    I watched the Jaaaaags episode yesterday. Just great fun! Season 2 is much better than season 1, and I hope that paves the way to more series of the same. Just good entertainment. 🙂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    I watched the Jaaaaags episode yesterday. Just great fun! Season 2 is much better than season 1, and I hope that paves the way to more series of the same. Just good entertainment. 
    Slowly becoming like TG of old it seems. Even down to little things like "Tonight, James says 40". I'm very surprised to actually be enjoying the celebrity laps as well. Used to hate that in TG. I think it is having head to head rather than a leaderboard, and no boring product plugs like was often found on the BBC.

I watched the Jaaaaags episode yesterday. Just great fun! Season 2 is much better than season 1, and I hope that paves the way to more series of the same. Just good entertainment. 
    Agreed, latest episode was brilliant I thought .

Journeyman
    I'm trying to justify Amazon Prime to my other half purely to be able to watch the grand tour.

It's not working so far

The Grand Tour Season Two

The free next day delivery was a much more convincing incentive at St-Just manor when I subscribed. It turns out SWMBO is quite a fan of several series on Amazon TV too (Lucifer, the Good Place, etc.) so I can watch the GT without a guilty conscience

Blog Entries
    He's looked that way for quite some time now - not sure if perhaps it is some cosmetic surgery that went a bit awry.
    Chemical peel addiction?

Maybe I'll force myself to try another episode. I don't think I watched all of season one of Grand Tour. Bits of it are good but a lot of it is quite cringeworthy.

I watched the first two episodes of GT and it still feels like they are too scared to detach themselves from the old TG. New TG is the same but they seem to be moving on better than Clarkson, May and Hammond. Perhaps that's because the two main TG presenters are an unusual pairing while GT relies (like old TG did) on the chemistry between the three presenters. I had hoped with the huge budget each episode of GT would be set in a different country and involve a large drive story along with some local content. For example if you're in South Africa do a silly drive story (which they still do extremely well) and be based at Kyalami for track-based stuff. If their budget really is three or four times that of what they had to work with at the BBC I can't see where it goes.

I do like Top Gear though and think they'll work it out. I can't see Rory Reid lasting though, as nice as he appears to be he's just not interesting. The other two presenters are (although it feels like Harris is more natural on his own films on YouTube than he is on the BBC, perhaps he doesn't write his own script?) and providing Sabine sticks to the racing stuff (I wish we'd see her race with Harris in stuff like the N24 or Lemons 24 - warts and all - rather than against him in what look like faked races) and Jordan is simply farmed off to another program to run out whatever contract he has I think they have a bright future. And they need to edit the interviews properly!
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gex23 View Post
    I'm trying to justify Amazon Prime to my other half purely to be able to watch the grand tour.

It's not working so far
    Just get a months trial and watch them all for free.

The laughter when they were discussing the tool kit in Hammond's Jaaaaag seemed genuine, which was good to see.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    The laughter when they were discussing the tool kit in Hammond's Jaaaaag seemed genuine, which was good to see.
    Similar in the news bit. More banter and less of Hammond shouting about this or that for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Chemical peel addiction?
    You'd hope such a thing wouldn't make you look quite so...chemically!

Blog Entries
    You'd hope such a thing wouldn't make you look quite so...chemically!
    From what I've seen and as far as I can tell that's exactly how it makes the willing victims look. It wears off after a bit... a few days... not sure exactly. Basically the skin has to have time to grow and a new layer of dead skin has to build up to regain a look of non-shiny normality.

But some people can't leave it alone and so look permanently shiny and waxy...

Gok what it does to their skin in the long term.

Master
    After two poor offerings the Jag episode was excellent. A real return to the best of the Top Gear days. Had the feel of one of the old challenge or race episodes. More like this would be great.

Watched Jags yesterday and thought it was a hoot. Shame Hammond had to wreak the Mk10, but one assumes its was to far gone already.

Looking forward to the next one.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Worst episode so far, I wonder how bad it can get before the season ends??

Master
    The Jags one was really good, it might have been something to do with all the available wine and a large G&T on a plane - probably the best way to watch.