closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Grand Tour Season Two

Master

The Grand Tour Season Two

Trailer looks good. Let’s hope it’s an improvement over season one.
    https://youtu.be/v_NRSoVncJQ

Frankly it would be difficult for it to be any worse...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Red face

I actually prefer BBC's new Top Gear to TGT. I watched the first season of Clarkson & pals and thought it had its moments but overall was 6/10.

I think Amazon should have spent the money not on trying to replicate Top Gear with a big budget and exotic locations, but on doing a series of amazing (and as unscripted as possible) mega road trips.

Craftsman
    I really hope they understood what went wrong with the first season and do some adjustment. BBC's Top Gear was overall much more enjoyable, but I will give couple of episodes to TGT at least to see if they managed to course correct.

I'm looking forward to it, I'm not a petrolhead and enjoy it for the presenters. I still watch new Top Gear but the new team are so dull and irritating that it's become background TV.

I suspect that some of the "features" of TGT were there in a deliberate attempt to ensure the producers could not be accused of format plagiary by the BBC. Much of it was just dire. Hopefully enough distance has been created between TGT and TG to keep the lawyers at bay and both can now find their own distinctive voice.

Red face

From that YouTube clip though for Season 2 it does look like they may have recaptured some of the fun, charm and anarchy of the original Top Gear - so probably worth watching for a few episodes at least. :)

Blog Entries
    I avoid anything to do with Clarkson and his pals

Master
    I much prefer Jay Leno's Garage instead of watching those 3 clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I suspect that some of the "features" of TGT were there in a deliberate attempt to ensure the producers could not be accused of format plagiary by the BBC.
    Surely that's exactly what was wrong with it?

I must admit, I thought Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip was much better and closer to what I imagined TGT was going to offer by travelling from country to country.

I guess now he's Baked Off to C4, we won't see another series of the BCRT.

M

Master
    Can't wait. Very much enjoyed the first series despite the growing pains.

Both TG and TGT tried to make their first seasons after the split too much like TG was, in the hope people would still watch them. For the BBC it failed because everyone compared it to old TG, although the second season was much better (with the exception of Rory Read and Eddie Jordan). TGT promised everything with its massive budgets and promise of coming from different parts of the world but in reality was just like old TG without the familiar structure. TGT had so much potential and they got it badly wrong.

I still haven't watched all of season one of TGT, I might make the effort.

On the other hand I'm really looking forward to Detectorists. Maybe they should draft MacKenzie Crook in to write TGT...
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Trailer looks great so hoping it will be better than the first which i thought was pants. TG was better i thought.

Awesome. Can’t wait. Truly the best car-based entertainers around :)

I'll watch it. I hope that they drop "The American", preferably from a great height, and do away with the celebrity death thing, which was ok the first time, but not thereafter.

I'll also enjoy seeing the internet light up with people complaining that although they watched it, they didn't enjoy it, in fact it was rubbish and they'll never watch it again. Until the next time, and there they are, complaining that it was rubbish, they'll never etc, etc, repeat ad infinitum.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    I avoid anything to do with Clarkson and his pals
    Yet you clicked on this thread. Sadist.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I'll watch it. I hope that they drop "The American", preferably from a great height, and do away with the celebrity death thing.
    From The Times

Less popular segments from the first series such as Celebrity Brain Crash have been dropped, as has the redneck driver — “the American” — who succeeded the Stig. A string of new guests (“top people”) are lined up. They will do stuff with cars, but no one will say what, or who
    As the monkey said when the train ran over its tail, "not long now"...
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 20th November 2017 at 08:55.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    Yet you clicked on this thread. Sadist.
    Masochist?

M

Master
    I was at the filming last week (I'm sure the back of my noggin will be in shot or at least my ears).
    From the one episode I saw its getting back to the highs of Top Gear :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    When is the start date?

Master
    8th December

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    I was at the filming last week (I'm sure the back of my noggin will be in shot or at least my ears).
    From the one episode I saw its getting back to the highs of Top Gear :)
    Good, first time I've read anything positive about it :)

Will probably watch it if nothing else is on, but won’t be setting any timers for it

Craftsman
    Looks great.

I think now that both shows have improved, we get the benefit of two pretty good tv shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Will probably watch it if nothing else is on, but won’t be setting any timers for it
    Er, it streams ‘on demand’...

D-Blue on the wrist of Weber in a trailer for this coming series

Master
    Quite enjoyed the first episode. Glad to see celebrity brain crash and 'The American' have gone.

I quite enjoyed the first episode as well. As already mentioned, losing that American oaf and the "Celebrity" nonsense had to improve the show, but this one seemed to drag a bit, as though they were filling up the time by padding out the main feature.

Still. Two rapidly ageing blokes and another one messing about and featuring some nice cars. What's not to like?

I enjoyed it. It's pretty much like Top Gear again only without the Stig.

Craftsman
    Decent effort, jokes are still too scripted, but hopefully they will not insert laugh tracks

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Quite enjoyed the first episode. Glad to see celebrity brain crash and 'The American' have gone.
    +1

Overall an enjoyable episode.

Master
    First series was pretty dull and draged througout the hour or so it was on. I gave up after 4 episodes

What utter dross episode 1 season 2, three overweight middle aged men with too much money! Maybe it's me but it was incredibly boring!

I kept turning it off in disbelief then going to back to it to see if it got any better, they all look quite ill as well to top it all off!

Master
    Really dull, they have removed the crap and all that's left are 3 people who don't appear to like each other much any more and Clarkson who looks fat, ill and hungover. Time to let it go away in my opinion........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I must admit, and as a fan of the jolly trio, that I didn’t enjoy S2 EP1 as much as I thought I would.

Maybe I was tired after a long week at work, but it didn’t feel very, well, entertaining.

I’m hopeful from the trailer that there will be some good stuff coming though.

Oh, and I agree that neither Clarkson or May look particularly well at the moment.

Master
    I watched the first ten minutes or so to see what would be on it. Clarkson looks his age and then some but May looked very odd indeed. Perhaps he's put weight on or it was the shorter hair but facially he looked puffy and and a bit bloated.
    I'll probably keep watching but haven't watched all of series 1 yet though much preferred the last series of Top Gear.

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 9th December 2017 at 10:17.

I think there have been concerns over drinking issues for years. I agree that neither C or M looked well.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    TG, the show that spawned thousand of TWOC'ers. Bin it and have done!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    D-Blue on the wrist of Weber in a trailer for this coming series

God that looks cool ...... I've been waiting blinking ages for mine 😥

Hammond's definitely had his teeth whitened.

Not a bad first episode but same meat different gravy. Where can they go with a show thats based purely on their personalities and it's the same personalities that are now tiring for their target audience...?

I had never heard of drinking issues before but that is the first thing that sprung to mind when I watched the 2. I was not even sure May was sober for the show.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I loved older top gear before all the commotion

Was looking forward to seeing if it had refreshed since season 1 and although I still find Clarkson funny it was so scripted and the jokes seemed forced

I really wanted to like it and although I'm not saying I disliked it, it just will never live up to old TG

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Master
    Clarkson has looked rough for a few years now but James looks decidedly odd this series. I don't know if it's down to putting on weight but his face looks all puffy and swollen.

Journeyman
    I was over in Abu Dhabi a couple of weeks ago for the F1 and saw him having breakfast in the hotel i was staying in. The short hair and enhanced weight made me think it must not have been him but now i am sure it was! Will watch later to confirm... Did look a bit different though. Only noticed him as he stood up and in a rather elaborate gesture put a cigarette in his mouth and walked out with a lighter in hand!

I gave it a try but didnt make it to the end. Found it a bit boring to be honest.

I agree that May and Clarkson look rough. If thats due to alcohol and lifestyle then their choice I guess!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyblack View Post
    I loved older top gear before all the commotion
    Call me old-fashioned, but I used to like Top Gear when it was like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0H7xw6jSY

No, really, I did!

Prime also has the early series of TG streamable too. I was just watching TG series 2. Age has certainly taken its toll on the presenters but it's also notable just how the formula hasn't changed. What was “edgy banter” and surprisingly dramatic cinematography in 2003 has become familiar and tired. It's an old act now, performed by bored old pros. I don't blame them, but they can never recreate the freshness of the older series precisely because freshness doesn't lend itself to age and over exposure.

Recommend the old TG series if you haven't seen them for a while (no Dave here!) as Jeremy's paunch is still in its infancy and there is a pleasing earnestness about May's “insider trading” spot.

I’d prefer a car show that provided information on cars, rather than simply being an ott “entertainment” show, if you could it that.
    It's just a matter of time...

Since the audience includes a substantial female component you're not going to get your wish. Lads' car shows attract low numbers.

I enjoyed this week's episode. Wonder how much the Aventadore cost to repair when it scraped on the ground.

Master
    It’s had its day. But in the same way I laughed at Last of The Summer Wine, I’ll keep watching for the odd gem.