closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Tour Season Two

Hybrid View

Master

The Grand Tour Season Two

Trailer looks good. Let’s hope it’s an improvement over season one.
    https://youtu.be/v_NRSoVncJQ

Frankly it would be difficult for it to be any worse...
    So clever my foot fell off.

Red face

I actually prefer BBC's new Top Gear to TGT. I watched the first season of Clarkson & pals and thought it had its moments but overall was 6/10.

I think Amazon should have spent the money not on trying to replicate Top Gear with a big budget and exotic locations, but on doing a series of amazing (and as unscripted as possible) mega road trips.

Craftsman
    I really hope they understood what went wrong with the first season and do some adjustment. BBC's Top Gear was overall much more enjoyable, but I will give couple of episodes to TGT at least to see if they managed to course correct.

I'm looking forward to it, I'm not a petrolhead and enjoy it for the presenters. I still watch new Top Gear but the new team are so dull and irritating that it's become background TV.

I suspect that some of the "features" of TGT were there in a deliberate attempt to ensure the producers could not be accused of format plagiary by the BBC. Much of it was just dire. Hopefully enough distance has been created between TGT and TG to keep the lawyers at bay and both can now find their own distinctive voice.

Blog Entries
    I avoid anything to do with Clarkson and his pals

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I suspect that some of the "features" of TGT were there in a deliberate attempt to ensure the producers could not be accused of format plagiary by the BBC.
    Surely that's exactly what was wrong with it?

I must admit, I thought Paul Hollywood's Big Continental Road Trip was much better and closer to what I imagined TGT was going to offer by travelling from country to country.

I guess now he's Baked Off to C4, we won't see another series of the BCRT.

M

Red face

From that YouTube clip though for Season 2 it does look like they may have recaptured some of the fun, charm and anarchy of the original Top Gear - so probably worth watching for a few episodes at least. :)

Craftsman
    I thought it was alright. It's doing what it does best and there seems to be some great ones coming up.

Craftsman
    Looks great.

I think now that both shows have improved, we get the benefit of two pretty good tv shows.

Master
    Really dull, they have removed the crap and all that's left are 3 people who don't appear to like each other much any more and Clarkson who looks fat, ill and hungover. Time to let it go away in my opinion........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I must admit, and as a fan of the jolly trio, that I didn’t enjoy S2 EP1 as much as I thought I would.

Maybe I was tired after a long week at work, but it didn’t feel very, well, entertaining.

I’m hopeful from the trailer that there will be some good stuff coming though.

Oh, and I agree that neither Clarkson or May look particularly well at the moment.

Master
    I watched the first ten minutes or so to see what would be on it. Clarkson looks his age and then some but May looked very odd indeed. Perhaps he's put weight on or it was the shorter hair but facially he looked puffy and and a bit bloated.
    I'll probably keep watching but haven't watched all of series 1 yet though much preferred the last series of Top Gear.

Cheers
    Neil
    Last edited by jneds; 9th December 2017 at 10:17.

I think there have been concerns over drinking issues for years. I agree that neither C or M looked well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I think there have been concerns over drinking issues for years. I agree that neither C or M looked well.
    This might explain it

https://amp.theguardian.com/media/20...with-pneumonia

Master
    TG, the show that spawned thousand of TWOC'ers. Bin it and have done!

I loved older top gear before all the commotion

Was looking forward to seeing if it had refreshed since season 1 and although I still find Clarkson funny it was so scripted and the jokes seemed forced

I really wanted to like it and although I'm not saying I disliked it, it just will never live up to old TG

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyblack View Post
    I loved older top gear before all the commotion
    Call me old-fashioned, but I used to like Top Gear when it was like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M0H7xw6jSY

No, really, I did!

Master
    Clarkson has looked rough for a few years now but James looks decidedly odd this series. I don't know if it's down to putting on weight but his face looks all puffy and swollen.

Journeyman
    I was over in Abu Dhabi a couple of weeks ago for the F1 and saw him having breakfast in the hotel i was staying in. The short hair and enhanced weight made me think it must not have been him but now i am sure it was! Will watch later to confirm... Did look a bit different though. Only noticed him as he stood up and in a rather elaborate gesture put a cigarette in his mouth and walked out with a lighter in hand!

Prime also has the early series of TG streamable too. I was just watching TG series 2. Age has certainly taken its toll on the presenters but it's also notable just how the formula hasn't changed. What was “edgy banter” and surprisingly dramatic cinematography in 2003 has become familiar and tired. It's an old act now, performed by bored old pros. I don't blame them, but they can never recreate the freshness of the older series precisely because freshness doesn't lend itself to age and over exposure.

Recommend the old TG series if you haven't seen them for a while (no Dave here!) as Jeremy's paunch is still in its infancy and there is a pleasing earnestness about May's “insider trading” spot.

I’d prefer a car show that provided information on cars, rather than simply being an ott “entertainment” show, if you could it that.
    It's just a matter of time...

Since the audience includes a substantial female component you're not going to get your wish. Lads' car shows attract low numbers.

I enjoyed this week's episode. Wonder how much the Aventadore cost to repair when it scraped on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’d prefer a car show that provided information on cars, rather than simply being an ott “entertainment” show, if you could it that.
    Leaving aside the comment about the female audience - pretty impossible on Amazon, who aim for a global market - any given review would make no sense or be irrelevant.

The number of internet forum column inches devoted to middle aged blokes discussing early evening car-based TV shows is incredible. We are back to the biannual TG vs TGT discussion cycle.

I’m of the opinion that pre-“fracas” TG was getting pretty stale and hackneyed, so both new series are trying to breathe new life into a dying format. Both do a reasonable job at providing mildly entertaining chewing gum TV, but nether are particularly great. The “banter” and jokiness in both series are weak and forced, but the locations and cinematography are still great (with TGT just having the edge imo). I’d happily watch both with the sound down.

(I’m another one who liked the old school Woollard era show, but clearly that’s not what people want anymore. I also liked Fifth Gear).

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    You are Tiff Needell and I claim my Porsche 944.

I gave it a try but didnt make it to the end. Found it a bit boring to be honest.

I agree that May and Clarkson look rough. If thats due to alcohol and lifestyle then their choice I guess!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    It’s had its day. But in the same way I laughed at Last of The Summer Wine, I’ll keep watching for the odd gem.

I watched TGT last night, more in hope than expectation...............was glad I did. Mostly back to the original TG format with some decent humourous banter, great road/trip car test. Strange there was little 'industry' news and the Star in a (decent) car was a bit crap and rather slow (and I had no idea who the Yorkshire bloke was!).

Good start, will watch again.

I’ll need to get some use out of my prime subscription so will continue to watch, looks great in full 4K too.

A good episode this week. No filler, and even the celebrities were interesting.

Craftsman
    I thought it was much better than the 1st series.
    There were a few laughs throughout.
    I would have preferred more info/review on the cars themselves, but I'll keep watching.

I thought it was very thin on actual content. There simply wasn’t very much in the show.

Given the immense budget, and the almost limitless resources at their disposal, it wasn’t impressive. The presenters look tired, old and bored.

I actually think Top Gear with Matt Le Blanc is far superior now.

Master
    I thought it was very thin on actual content. There simply wasn’t very much in the show.

Given the immense budget, and the almost limitless resources at their disposal, it wasn’t impressive. The presenters look tired, old and bored.

Interesting. I have not bothered to watch any grand tour at all. I got so fed up with three of them. I didn’t enjoy top gear with Evans but since he has gone it is settling in to a nice rythem. There is a good mix of prior information I want to hear from A technical perspective and challenges. Don’t miss the old lot one bit.

I can't watch TG, as Chris Harris annoys me intensely.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I can't watch it as all three so called presenters annoy me intensely.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    He must one of the two that isn't Joey. I have the same reaction to both of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    He must one of the two that isn't Joey.
    That is my issue with TG. He will always be Joey. I can't see him in any other way and it is a big distraction and almost a benchmark he must (but fails to) hit and it stops me from just enjoying the show for what it is.

I think that has also effected TGT. They decided to make it so similar to TG that it is not judged on its merits as a show, but in how it compares to old TG. Granted I enjoy it, but as others have said, it still isn't the Bolivia special etc.
    Last edited by hafle; 17th December 2017 at 19:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel306 View Post
    I thought it was much better than the 1st series.

I would have preferred more info/review on the cars themselves, but I'll keep watching.
    Agreed x 2
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

A bit of good fun. The celebrity piece was dull, partly because of the guests I suppose.

I will continue to watch

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

I watched this and thought it was OK but really only for streaming. I think the poor competition from Top Gear helps but there are only so many programmes can watch with a few people joking around in expensive cars.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Perhaps, I'm easily pleased, but I liked it and looking forward to the next one.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

^ I'm with you. I don't analyse it, I just enjoy it and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    Perhaps, I'm easily pleased, but I liked it and looking forward to the next one.
    +1

Master

The Grand Tour Season Two

Just watched the second episode, better than the first in my opinion.
    The only thing that bugged me about it was the face on the woman standing over Jeremy’s right shoulder. She looked like she was either standing directly in the zone of a really smelly fart or she was dying for a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    The only thing that bugged me about it was the face on the woman standing over Jeremy’s right shoulder. She looked like she was either standing directly in the zone of a really smelly fart or she was dying for a shit.
    I shall look forward to looking out for that !
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Top Gear were known for having "wranglers" who would round up the attractive women in the audience and position them in shot for the studio discussion sequences.

Perhaps The Grand Tour are doing the same, and she really didn't want to be there?

Anyway. I enjoyed Episode 2, and look forward to the rest of the series. If Top Gear continue their post-Evans improvement then we car enthusiasts will have two large-budget well produced shows to enjoy, in amongst all of the Strictly-Come-Dancing-Celebrity-Jungle-Baking-Antique-Auction tosh.

First episode seemed a bit stale and unnatural.

Just rewatched the Source of the Nile special from TG, and that had so much more life to it. They seemed genuinely happy to be there, unlike the TGT studio episodes. Hopefully they do more specials rather than studio episodes for TGT in the future.

Eds: Just watched episode 2. Much more like the old, excellent Top Gear. Though I'd prefer no celeb bits.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 16th December 2017 at 04:10.

Trailer looked great so hopefully some good pieces to come. No evidence of them in the first show though. Struggling to drive supercars around a narrow european city...?