closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Florida hire cars

Florida hire cars

I’ve booked to go to Florida next year but I’ve not booked a car as I thought I’d have a look around .
    What’s the cheapest option,get one through travel agent,use an hire company on internet or get it in the airport when I land .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We usually go directly with Alamo. There's some useful info in this thread:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ire-in-Florida
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Speaking from personal experience I can say that 'get it in the airport when I land' is a recipe for crushing disappointment.

I once made the mistake of thinking you can just breeze up to the counter at Miami airport and ask for a car, only to find they don't keep stock - cars are allocated to reservations - I went all along the line of counters, all the majors and and even the one-man band rental companies, but no joy. As it was after 9:00 pm, I reserved a car for first thing the next morning and slept, or rather didn't sleep, at the airport - a most unpleasand experience.

I'd do a search with price comparison sites for the best deal; I usually rent through a travel agency (Voyages SNCF) which generally works out cheaper than booking directly with the rental company. Last time I was in Florida I found SIXT had the best deal.

Blog Entries
    book before you go and use a multi search like holiday autos or carhire 3000 as pointed out faffing around in an airport after a long flight followed by US Immagration is not a good idea.

We use Alamo, pre book, walk up to the car, but your bags in, as you drive out swipe card and driving licence, when you return before you have your bags out the car is checked over and your all done, no mucking around! No complaints!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    We usually go directly with Alamo. There's some useful info in this thread:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ire-in-Florida
    The search function,why didn’t I do that cheers,Alamo it is then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got family in southern Florida and go out there fairly frequently.
    I'd echo the sentiment about not planning something and just doing it on the spot; your negotiating stance is poor and they'll nail you on price as they know you need a car to leave the airport.
    In my experience, (at Orlando), book a very basic car - that way you've got something - and then when you pitch up to the desk to collect, let them try and upsell you, (which they will).
    I've had an Audi Q7 the last couple of times I was out there and you can get a decent deal, (daily incremental cost over the car you've had booked), if you are prepared to negotiate. They've, (I'm talking Alamo here), generally got a choice of Q7, Porsche Cayenne, Caddy Escalade etc.. etc.. if you fancy something like that or a 'Vette or similar on the sports car front.
    I've often fancied a convertible but I've been cautioned against it by my Uncle as they are hot in the summer, (even with A/C at full tilt), and you can get serious sun burn.

Rich.

Watching with interest.

Blog Entries
    I have used Alamo in the past and they were good so sounds as if they still are. Pre-booking would seem to be essential to avoid delays and hassle.

Master
    Just come back from America last week and had a car for the duration. Used Alamo again and went very smoothly. Landed in Sanford, walked over to the Alamo building and showed the guy my receipt for booking in online which I did before I left the UK. 1 min later I was in my car (also got a free upgrade).

Blog Entries
    Try to book online and in advance. The longer you wait, the higher the price.

M.

Car hire usa

I always go for Avis I have had some problems over 30 years of car hire in America-but for the last 8 years I have use Avis and signed up to be a preferred member it cost me nothing to join and has benefits like not queuing your car is waiting and your name is shown on a large screen with the location, on return all they seem to worry about is that it has petrol in the vehicle.

Budget have liked after us over the last few years, when somebody crashed into us earlier this year they swapped the car out like-for-like within 2 hours.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squashy1 View Post
    I always go for Avis I have had some problems over 30 years of car hire in America-but for the last 8 years I have use Avis and signed up to be a preferred member it cost me nothing to join and has benefits like not queuing your car is waiting and your name is shown on a large screen with the location, on return all they seem to worry about is that it has petrol in the vehicle.

We've been using Hertz every year since '98 and we've never been disappointed by their service. I always ask for an American car - not a Japanese built in the US. My wife's company has a deal with Avis and she's equally happy with their service when she rents a car for her trips between NYC and Boston.

Menno

Journeyman
    +1 Alamo. Book online in the UK and prepay for it to secure the price. Keep an eye on your booking to see if the price drops. If it does you can amend the booking online to reflect the new price, you'll get refunded the difference.

Booked mine last year 6 months before flying out, got 3 refunds, the last one a week before we flew. Just shows prices can go down nearer the time.

Be careful with the toll roads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yes. Usually quicker and easiest to use the rental companies gizmo rather than trying to pay cash. The Alamo 'Tollpass' costs $3.95 per day with a maximum fee of $19.75 per rental, plus any tolls (well it did in April).

Blog Entries
    My best car hire experience EVER was with Alamo out of Miami airport. Really simple and efficient process with no attempt to rip me off for anything. As previously mentioned, pre-booking is the best way.

Blog Entries
    Sat nav: it's cheaper to buy a Sat Nav then renting one with the car. Much cheaper.

Overhere in Holland, there's a strong second hand market for these gizmos. People buy a US sat nav at Walmart, use it during their holiday and sell it on when they return home to other people with USA trip plans etc.

Walmart has great deals on TomTom etc.

Menno

Out of interest has anyone used Avis in Florida? I'm needing to hire a car from Orlando airport and drop it back at the fort lauderdale cruise terminal.. Avis work out slightly more convenient and curious to know if they compete with Alamo?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    Out of interest has anyone used Avis in Florida? I'm needing to hire a car from Orlando airport and drop it back at the fort lauderdale cruise terminal.. Avis work out slightly more convenient and curious to know if they compete with Alamo?
    Yes, I've used Avis but collected and dropped back to Orlando. I had pre-booked a Focus sized car, but needed sat nav so asked if they had anything. I was upgraded to a very nice BMW X5 for very little extra per day.

However... Be careful that the rep on the counter doesn't add all sorts of roadside assistance etc. on "by accident". When I got home I found another $60 of charges had been added, which to be fair was my fault - I was tired when collecting and just signed without properly checking. And to be fair to Avis, when I complained about feeling duped into the charges they refunded them without question.

Craftsman
    Re: sat navs (or "GPS" when you are over there). Avis (not sure about others) use an Android based GPS unit which looks basically like a mobile phone running Google Maps. So rather than rent one it is cheaper to use Google Maps on your own phone with either a pre-paid SIM or if you're with Three there's Feel At Home which allows you to use data as though you are at home.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    And the FHP regarding speed limits!

They take no prisoners and you get fined $x for every mile you are over the limit.

Ask me how I know.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

We did Florida in the summer and booked with Alamo. Agree with others that it works out cheaper to book the basic in advance and let them upsell on arrival. The saving was quite considerable.
    Only word of caution is that Alamo are very popular. There are lots of hire firms at the airport but everyone heads to Alamo so it was a queue of around an hour for the desk. This after sitting on the plane for an hour and a half waiting for immigration to deal with previous arrivals, and a further two hour queue to clear immigration after disembarking means you could, like me, be a liitle bit peeved when you finally drive the car away!

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    We did Florida in the summer and booked with Alamo. Agree with others that it works out cheaper to book the basic in advance and let them upsell on arrival. The saving was quite considerable.
    Only word of caution is that Alamo are very popular. There are lots of hire firms at the airport but everyone heads to Alamo so it was a queue of around an hour for the desk. This after sitting on the plane for an hour and a half waiting for immigration to deal with previous arrivals, and a further two hour queue to clear immigration after disembarking means you could, like me, be a liitle bit peeved when you finally drive the car away!
    That's why I preferred flying into Sanford when I needed a car.

No queues and Dollar just across the road.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Sat nav: it's cheaper to buy a Sat Nav then renting one with the car. Much cheaper.

Overhere in Holland, there's a strong second hand market for these gizmos. People buy a US sat nav at Walmart, use it during their holiday and sell it on when they return home to other people with USA trip plans etc.

Walmart has great deals on TomTom etc.

Menno
    Don't bother with buying or renting one, just download the free USA Navmii app on your phone. Works a treat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Don't bother with buying or renting one, just download the free USA Navmii app on your phone. Works a treat.

Here you go! This day has only just started and I've learned something new already!! Thanks for that. I am always puzzled to understand (I am not very good with this sort of modern stuff) if using a certain app is an online app or offline app.

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Here you go! This day has only just started and I've learned something new already!! Thanks for that. I am always puzzled to understand (I am not very good with this sort of modern stuff) if using a certain app is an online app or offline app.

Menno
    The other good one is Google Maps. You can download an offline map for the area you are visiting and then disable data roaming and it will use the stored map and GPS for navigation. Works well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by r1ch View Post
    The other good one is Google Maps. You can download an offline map for the area you are visiting and then disable data roaming and it will use the stored map and GPS for navigation. Works well.
    I've downloaded the navmii's Dutch map and gave it a try this morning. First impression is very good! Clear screen, clear buttons etc. Doesn't freeze like some other app users have experienced. I will try this for a few weeks - the VW Up's Navigon contraption is not really what I like, so for the VW it look to be a nice alternative. The Honda's standard satnav (Garmin I think) isn't very pleasant to use as well (compared with my wife's company car BMW...). So for the longer distance, I will give it a try as well. I will be off to MediaMarkt (not in the UK I think) for something to hold my iPhone when driving.

Menno

Done Florida twice this year, arriving into MCO both times, for three weeks in total.

I found Europcar was by far the cheapest as they include SLI and CDW in their prices. For the second trip this October, I got a GMC Acadia for a shade less than $700 for two weeks, which I thought was decent (including tolls paid and a full tank of fuel). I booked a Passat or something but they tried to upsell when I got to the counter, so I haggled hard and they did me a deal on the Acadia. Nice car to drive.

Their local affiliate is Advantage rent-a-car. The desk didn't have a queue on either of the occasions I picked up a car from them - all the other desks had snaking queues and long waits.

Would highly recommend Europcar/Advantage! I will use them when we go again next.

For both trips I just used Google Maps on my phone which was more than adequate, with a Kenu Airframe to hold it (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenu-Airfra...=kenu+airframe).

Another free app to try with off-line maps is Here WeGo (was Here/Nokia Maps).

Previously used Nokia Maps when travelling to Europe and further afield.