closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First Successful Foray

Journeyman

First Successful Foray

Just a quick one.
    My first semi-successful, very basic foray into the world of repairs:
    Partially completed crystal replacement.
    Replacement the cracked sapphire crystal on my cheaper Skagen beater, which are apparently very prone to cracking, with a nice soft acrylic crystal.

I've just ordered some GS Hypo glue to seal it in place, but I'm pretty please with what's probably a very easy job for most.

Especially after I lodged some of the glass I was removing into my thumb!

Grand Master
    An acrylic crystal is flexible and it should be possble to fix it in place without adhesive. The trick is to buy the correct size, or buy a couple and use the one that fits best, using a crystal lifter to fit the crystal if it doesn’t have a tension ring. If it has a tension ring a crystal press will be needed to press it in.

I have a simple test to check if a crystal’s fitted tightly: press hard on the crystal and attempt to twist it, if it moves the next size up is needed.

Paul

Journeyman
    Thanks Paul. This one is 35mm and doesn’t twist, but it does creak ever so slightly when pushing down on it and has a slight wobble now now and again.
    I’ve got a 35.2mm on the way which I’m going to try as soon as it arrives.

I’ve got a crystal press to hand.
    The tension ring, does it look a little. It like a seal around the inside of the bezel?
    The crystal that I removed originally was sapphire. Would that have likely been glued, as I assume a glass crystal wouldn’t be used in combination with a tensioner. Would that be correct?

Thanks for the tips. They’re very much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    The original glass crystal is likely to have been fitted into a very thin white plastic /nylon gasket that’s L-shaped in profile. Sometimes they’re glued but usually that’s the case with cheap watches.

The tension ring that fits inside an acrylic crystal serves two purposes, firstly it allows the crystal to be squeezed tightly against the case and secondly it a ta as the rehaut ring and sits on top of th3 edge of the dial. Acrylic crystals without a tension ring are more flexible and need compressing around the edge to get them to fit. The correct tool to do this is a crystal lifter, but often it’s possible to fit them using thumb and finger pressure pressure.

Paul

Journeyman
    Ah I see!
    Looking up acrylic tension rings online it looks like you have to buy a crystal pre loaded with a tension ring, and you can't just buy a tension ring separate from the crystal. Is that correct?

Thanks again for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you get stuck,XI have plenty of tension ring crystals in the cupboard, I can send a selection for you to try.

mike

Nice job, very satisfying I am sure.

Here is a picture of a tension ring in place - it's the inner piece of curved steel. It was separate to the crystal and just clipped in before fitting. No glue needed and it gave a waterproof/resistant fit.

Mike (seadog) was one of several who generously helped me do something similar to you.

Journeyman
    Thanks both!
    So would the watch normally come with its own gasket/tension ring, or would the replacement crystal have the gasket/tension ring?

I'm struggling for find a 35mm domed crystal with a tension ring online. I'm probably not searching with the right keywords though.

The watch original had a glass crystal so I'm not sure if it was glued or if it had some sort of gasket with the original crystal.

Thanks again!

The tension rings and gaskets are consumables like the crystal. Mine was for a Boctok and Lampoc kindly sent me a kit that had the crystal, tension ring and gaskets together - they are available like this from Boctok. I have used Cousins for parts but an easier option is to look on eBay and search for acrylic watch crystals if you haven't done already. You'll find loads of sellers who will also offer crystals with tension rings etc.

I'm just passing on what I have recently been told by the experts - hopefully some more will be along with better suggestions.

Journeyman
    Thank you!
    Is the same the for mineral crystals.
    I’ve got a ladies watch in need of a crystal replacement. It was a mineral crystal and there’s a white rubber seal left behind within the bezel.
    Do I just get a mineral crystal that’s the right size and use a press to get the mineral crystal into the bezel?
    I tried with pressing In a few sizes that seemed to be the size and ended up breaking 2 crystals. Then went down in size by the smallest increment and the crystal slotted into the bezel but with some slight wiggle.
    As I say, trying to press in the next size up resulted in a cracked crystal.

Sorry I know they’re amateurish questions. I really do appreciate all of the help. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Treat yourself to a good quality digital vernier caliper for measuring with. Without being able to measure crystals accurately you’re going to struggle.

You can’t simply fit a tension ring into a crystal that’s not profiled to take one, it doesn’t work that way. You can replace a tension ring with a similar one, I do that when I have the right size crystal with the wrong colour ring.

If you’re breaking crystals trying to fit them you’re doing something wrong. Glass crystals are unforgiving, but if the size is correct and you’re usng a sensible press to spread the load, they go in OK.

I trust you’re using decent magnifiers, trying to do this work with the naked eye is likely to end badly. The devils in the detail, you have to look very closely to see exactly what’s happening........and you don’t learn this skill overnight.

If you’re trying to fit an acrylic crystal into a recess designed for a gasket and mineral glass, be sure there’s enough depth for the crytal get enough purchase otherwise it’ll only take a slight knock to dislodge it. Thia comes down to careful observaion and judgement. Frankly, I don’t favour modifications for this reason and I flatly refuse to get involved in them........another lesson learned hard way.

Paul

Journeyman
    Thanks for the info Paul, that's really helpful!

Sounds like I've been making some mistakes. I've been using a crystal press but didn't think to use the loupe to check.

I'll definitely invest in a vernier calliper to make sure I'm getting the right size crystal.

Thanks again!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy9 View Post
    Thanks for the info Paul, that's really helpful!

Sounds like I've been making some mistakes. I've been using a crystal press but didn't think to use the loupe to check.

I'll definitely invest in a vernier calliper to make sure I'm getting the right size crystal.

Thanks again!

The biggest mistake people make when trying to work on watches is trying to work with their naked eye. Even with good eyesight you cannot see what’s really going on, and believe me the devil really is in the detail where watches are concerned.

Paul

Journeyman
    I must admit I don't know why I didn't think to use the loupe. I have one for tinkering around the movement.

I'll take another shot at it when my replacement crystals arrive.

Thanks again!