closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which washing machine?

Our Miele lasted 19 years (hard water area) and everyone in my family was half upset when it reached the point it was not viable to fix. In the 19 years, Miele had to be called out in the first year or so when software faulted and had to be reset and the remainder of the time it was trouble free.

The filter was cleaned every 6 months and a hot maintenance wash every month.

The replacement - another Miele.

Blog Entries
    Only the top of the range Siemens are still made in Germany, and for me it’s just like with shoes, if I buy Church’s or Trickers or what have you, they should be made in England.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I should add, that when I bought the Miele it came with 10 years parts and labour warranty. The machine I previously had, I think it was a hotpoint, was awful and although it came with a 5 year parts warranty all the parts were a few quid, but the call out and labour in those 5 years equalled the original purchase price - hence the Miele purchase.
    4 years ago we bought the Miele W5872 washing machine and one of the main reasons for that decision was the(as you mentioned) 10 year parts and labour guarantee which I thought was fantastic! 4 years in and it has been problem-free. IIRC we got it from John Lewis and last year I contacted JL as I wanted the Miele TKR 850WP tumble dryer, it is bloody dear at £1,350 and it was not on offer at JL, Miele’s price was the same at 1350, I advised JL that the Miele price included free delivery and if JL would deliver free they could have the order, to my amazement JL said no, they were selling it at FULL retail and wanted another £20 for delivery and would not match the Miele free delivery. Needless to say I told JL to do one and ordered direct from Miele! JL in previous years would not have lost such a profitable sale over a standard local delivery charge and it does seem to me that their customer service in general is not what it once was!
    Last edited by KavKav; 31st October 2017 at 17:33.

Master
    We looked at Miele and went with AEG in the end with a free 5 year warranty. It uses dishwasher salt in one of the drawers and you set it to match water hardness in your area which is handy as we have hard water down south!

Worked faultlessly so far and very quiet.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Living in a hard water area we don't waste money on expensive machines as they will die usually in 3-5 years regardless.
    In London we have very hard water and my Miele lasted 9 years before having a fault. Luckily it had a 10 yr warranty so they came and fixed it. Tbf it was a bit gunked up by hard water but you can get a cleaner to run through it now and then to remove it. Btw to all intents it still looks almost new!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks to all, Mr. Pitbull once again. We are in London so hard water but have a Miele dishwasher so I think I'll give one of their washing machines a whirl. If it only lasts three years again, I'll stick with the cheapies there on in. Hopefully not though!

Worth mentioning to anyone in a hard water area that LG have a self-clean setting that you run a few times a year with Calgon.

Master
    We had a really bad experience with our Miele washing machine. It was replaced twice under warranty when the repair agents were unable to fix it. It took them 2 weeks to send a replacement and managing 2 weeks without a washing machine with two very young kids in the house wasn't fun. It was repaired once more after the 5 year warranty ended but failed again at 7 years old when it was beyond economical repair - I won't be buying another washing machine from them....
    My Mother-in-law's Miele fridge also failed when it was a few months old and again it took them 2 weeks to repair it.

I was talking to my wife about this topic and she said she’d never spend £1300 on a washing machine even if she won the lottery! - I’m sure in these days of rapidly advancing electronics/cost cutting/ huge multinationals owning multiple brands, behind the white box the internals are all the same or broadly similar? I chuckled to myself recently wandering through John Lewis where there were lots of items absolutely identical apart from the logo and maybe the colour, maybe a black knob instead of a white one etc - with wildly differing prices. What worries me more are the dodgy things still being sold like fridges or freezers without metal backs to prevent fires and all those dodgy dryers that are an accident waiting to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    I don't mean to badmouth them, but my bosch washer/drier performed flawlessly for 10 years in my small flat (so light use). However it failed spectacularly a month ago, filled the flat with burning toxic smoke. Quite nasty really. I would have expected a fuse somewhere to blow, it didn't but thankfully I was in the flat at the time to turn it off (at the fuseboard). It probably had the wrong fuse in the plug at the wall though.

Replaced it with a cheap beko from Boots (yes the chemist!). So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I was talking to my wife about this topic and she said she’d never spend £1300 on a washing machine even if she won the lottery! - I’m sure in these days of rapidly advancing electronics/cost cutting/ huge multinationals owning multiple brands, behind the white box the internals are all the same or broadly similar? I chuckled to myself recently wandering through John Lewis where there were lots of items absolutely identical apart from the logo and maybe the colour, maybe a black knob instead of a white one etc - with wildly differing prices. What worries me more are the dodgy things still being sold like fridges or freezers without metal backs to prevent fires and all those dodgy dryers that are an accident waiting to happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe this is true. Even Bosch and it's subsidaries. Just got a Bosch Dishwasher, but was tempted to go old school with a Miele from the early noughties this one, from various websites this was the best one they did and built like a tank. A bit rusty but the lady said she'd been using it 10 years without fault. Probably have replaced the drawers though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Miele-G56...oAAOSwtxpZ34re

I'm going to be the outlier here, I'd never buy Meile again, we had nothing but trouble with them.

We had washing machine, tumble drier and vacuum cleaner, might even of had a dishwasher, all consigned to the skip and they were far from cheap. Think all were on 3-5 year plans, a good friend of mine sells them in his store, think we may have been unlucky. Nothing but trouble...

Due to that sickening experience I'd go budget every time now, at least you're not disappointed when they pack in.

But when the supposedly indestructible "last 10 years and more" Meile packs in it really does disappoint.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for LG. Ours has been faultless, quiet for 6yrs and the capacity is easily enough to wash king duvets/curtains etc which saves on dry cleaning. I would get another in a shot if thid one gives out

One of the issues in advice on this subject, is:

The washing machine/dishwasher that has served someone well for 5-10-15-20 years.........

Is no longer made, and more often than not - the new versions made by that company, are built to a price point rather than a standard.

I have a Zanussi washer from 1986 that for 7 yrs was running once per day. Mechanical programmer, but what a machine. I only had to replace the door seal twice (my fault) and 3 door catches - in that time.

It's a keeper.

So - there are two trains of thought (for me):

Get a cheap one with a good warranty (like - from John Lewis), and if it fails within the period - claim on the warranty.
    If it fails out of warranty - get a new one.

Buy the one that Which recommend, and see how it goes.

Al

My Bosch washing machine broke down last month but as I had been using it for 18.5 years I think I got my money's worth. In the end I bought another Bosch for not much more than I paid all those years ago. From John Lewis. The AAA rating is good for energy efficiency and the the 1600 spin speed is amazing. The clothes come out really dry. In my research I came across this site. http://http://www.thetoptensite.com/...-Machines.html - The Top Ten Most Reliable Washing Machine Brands: UK and who makes them. Interesting reading.

It is always a dilemma - go cheap and put up with the fact that it may not be as good and break down early or buy expensive as it should be better quality and last longer. These days I tend to go for better quality brands. You remember the quality long after you have forgotten the price is a quote that I remember from long ago. It is a bit like insurance. If you never make a claim it is a waste of money but when you need it then it is invaluable.

Craftsman
    I now have an LG direct drive unit after having a commercial Speed Queen machine that was going on 20 years, and hate it.

It regularly shuts down with wet clothes inside because the load needs to be perfectly balanced to run at such a high speed. So I go downstairs expecting the load to be done, and its stopped 1/2 way through and I need to start it again.

The old machine was built like a truck, with big simple parts and beefy fasteners, and though it occasionally needed service (every 4-5 years or so), I could do it myself. The new one has a toll free service number, and a touch tone answering service ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    No idea how much/what you're stuffing into an LG to get it to stop but I'm pretty sure no modern domestic machine will put up with the same as a commercial washer so it's not really a valid comparison imo.

Only had two washing machines in twenty years. First was a cheap Candy (Kelvinator) with manual controls. Only changed it as wife wanted greater capacity and faster spin. Currently have a Beko. Works well with family of 6+dog. Important with all washing machines is to descale and run a very hot cycle once in a while to break down clogged detergent that accumulates at these modern low temp washes.

Master
    We have Meile washing machines, dishwashers and vacuum cleaners in the UK and precisely the same in Spain, so six items in total. Never had a problem, so will carry on using them in the almost unheard of event of them conking out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Our mid-range AEG machine has been faultless despite pretty much daily use for 12 years. Still runs like new. We clean the filter regularly but nothing else.

Likewise, we have always (40 years) gone with AEG Lavamat Turbo, excellent results and reliability.
    Just bought a lower range Miele (111 ?) for our Girona house a few years ago, will compare....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    No idea how much/what you're stuffing into an LG to get it to stop but I'm pretty sure no modern domestic machine will put up with the same as a commercial washer so it's not really a valid comparison imo.
    The load size is important, but not the defining criteria, it has trouble with all load sizes and maybe even more trouble with really small ones. The problem seems to be that it needs an even distribution to spin at high speed. Looks as though the machine runs a balance test at varying speeds, and if it fails the cycle stops, and I get to reshuffle the wet clothing by hand, which is about as practical as it sounds.

To me its this requirement of precision that is the flaw. I understand why the system needs it, as designed an out of balance weight at that kind of speed would be trouble, and they have been having trouble with these. The previous generation, presumably without the rigorous balance checks, seem to explode on a more than occasional basis for what is likely exactly this cause. I am just pointing out that sometimes slow, dumb, and overbuilt is the better mousetrap.

Master
    For anyone thinking of buying any Miele appliances, you can register for up to 25% discount here:

www.miele.co.uk/corporate25

Master
    Our old Hotpoint lasted 20yrs-had a few repairs to keep it going in later years. Bought Bosch; that lasted 10yrs without any repairs. Gone to new Hotpoint-2nd from top of range, its very very quiet and is spot on. £500 I believe?

We had a Miele Chest Freezer and it was utter crap. Failed after 3 years and wasted about £400 of food.

Bought a catering spec replacement from Denmark, about 50% cheaper and it's been prefect.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Neff.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I purchased a LG direct drive shortly after they came out for £750. Within a year I'd spent approx £500 more on repair bills. Git fed up with it and got a bosch excel and it's been faultless for the last 6 odd years. That impressed by it I got the matching dryer as well.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Which washing machine?

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    I purchased a LG direct drive shortly after they came out for £750. Within a year I'd spent approx £500 more on repair bills.
    How so, no warranty at all?
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 3rd November 2017 at 22:54.

Master
    This one seems pretty robust https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsRot0p7ObY

Craftsman
    499 after cash back for a Miele 8kg machine according to this:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dou...paign=whatsapp

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Indeed - How does that make any sense unless it was misused?

If it was being used for commercial purposes, I guess it may not be warrantied?

We've had an LG for 14 years - It did develop a fault after 9 or 10 years, but I bought a secondhand one for a tenner and swapped a part and it's still going, but it bangs around like Katie Price these days, so it's about to be replaced with a new LG.

We had a Bosch Dishwasher for a while - Dearer than the rest, but it looked so much better built - It lasted 4 years, so we bought a cheaper one, looked a lot less well built, but is still going strong far longer than that.

I'd like to buy Bosch, because they look like quality, but I think, in reality, they're no better than anything else.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
    The load size is important, but not the defining criteria, it has trouble with all load sizes and maybe even more trouble with really small ones. The problem seems to be that it needs an even distribution to spin at high speed. Looks as though the machine runs a balance test at varying speeds, and if it fails the cycle stops, and I get to reshuffle the wet clothing by hand, which is about as practical as it sounds.

To me its this requirement of precision that is the flaw. I understand why the system needs it, as designed an out of balance weight at that kind of speed would be trouble, and they have been having trouble with these. The previous generation, presumably without the rigorous balance checks, seem to explode on a more than occasional basis for what is likely exactly this cause. I am just pointing out that sometimes slow, dumb, and overbuilt is the better mousetrap.
    I had this issue with my LG, but it turned out that all the clothes had worked themselves into the sleeve of a duvet cover and that trapped them inside, therefore pushing all the weight into one corner of the machine when spinning. Not had this issue since.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    One of the reasons we have a water softener. ;-) Another 'must-have' appliance.

btw dish washer started throwing out smoke the other evening :-( Lasted 11 years so can't complain too much.
    Just my own personal follow up.... Just spent the best part of a grand on a Miele integrated dish washer! I left it to her-indoors and that's the one she chose. I suggested the sub £300 JL own brand but what do I know? :-( I admit it (the Miele) does read well and Which rated it as 'excellent' but it's still a grand. tbh I was getting desperate not having a washer. Several cups and plates chipped in the last few weeks using a bowl and liquid and a significant increase in hot water usage without a washer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Sorry my mistake, I was distracted when I wrote that. I think all in we had the machine for 3 years but had issues every year. Got fed up and binned it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    Just my own personal follow up.... Just spent the best part of a grand on a Miele integrated dish washer! I left it to her-indoors and that's the one she chose. I suggested the sub £300 JL own brand but what do I know? :-( I admit it (the Miele) does read well and Which rated it as 'excellent' but it's still a grand. tbh I was getting desperate not having a washer. Several cups and plates chipped in the last few weeks using a bowl and liquid and a significant increase in hot water usage without a washer.
    Did you try the Miele corporate discount site I linked to above? 15% discount on purchases up to a grand I think but not sure how competitive the prices are to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've a Miele wkb120 I think it is.

Craftsman
    I’ve had my Miele w2240 over 15 years still like new, house of 4 people

Craftsman
    My Zanussi's been completely trouble free for a similar time. Well over 15 years.
    Even more impressively it's a washer/dryer which tend to have a horrendous reliability record, although we rarely use the drying. Can't tell you if it's down to Zanussi's quality control or sheer luck though as it's the only one I've ever had/needed. It was relatively pricy at the time from what I recall.

My brand of choice:

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moses View Post
    My Zanussi's been completely trouble free for a similar time. Well over 15 years.
    Even more impressively it's a washer/dryer which tend to have a horrendous reliability record, although we rarely use the drying. Can't tell you if it's down to Zanussi's quality control or sheer luck though as it's the only one I've ever had/needed. It was relatively pricy at the time from what I recall.
    Good point, my previous machine was a Zanussi and was (virtually) the cheapest on the market. It lasted over ten years without a single problem. Only switched it out as it had got very noisy on the spin cycle after someone had, unsupervised, spun a load of towels on the fastest spin...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Did you try the Miele corporate discount site I linked to above? 15% discount on purchases up to a grand I think but not sure how competitive the prices are to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    No because JL were doing 20% off anyway.... RRP was something like £1200!! Good Lord...

They've just phoned up (the delivery people) and should be here (home) in about 15 mins time. Hopefully only an hours job to swap new for old in the kitchen and then we can put the Fairy and bowl back under the sink and forget about them for at least a decade ;-)

Blog Entries
    I have had a Miele (brought second hand) for 10 years…. Solid (3 kids)

Am I correct saying that they are not made to the same standard anymore? Or am I making that up?

You’ve been busy breeding Dave so you may want to consider capacity too

Craftsman
    Had a Miele for 6 years and for the last few month of that it made a grinding sound (checked drum, outlet etc for debris) that was annoying but it kept going until a wash come out smelling of smoke, that did it and we got rid and bought a direct drive LG that is no way as quiet as advertised, we can hear it in the lounge on full spin where the Miele couldn't be heard. But with another 5 year warranty and a way less purchase price it'll do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I have had a Miele (brought second hand) for 10 years…. Solid (3 kids)

Am I correct saying that they are not made to the same standard anymore? Or am I making that up?
    That was my experience with them, would stay well clear. £100 call out charge before they (Meile) would even look at the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    I'm going to be the outlier here, I'd never buy Meile again, we had nothing but trouble with them.

We had washing machine, tumble drier and vacuum cleaner, might even of had a dishwasher, all consigned to the skip and they were far from cheap. Think all were on 3-5 year plans, a good friend of mine sells them in his store, think we may have been unlucky. Nothing but trouble...

Due to that sickening experience I'd go budget every time now, at least you're not disappointed when they pack in.

But when the supposedly indestructible "last 10 years and more" Meile packs in it really does disappoint.

Trouble is, a decent washing machine is the most boring £1000 you’ll ever spend. You’d have thought it would be connected to the net or something, take voice commands or have a webcam so you can watch your pants going round? No. It washes your stuff. End. Boring.

Journeyman
    Samsung has been good for us would recommend or buy again myself

Craftsman
    Swapped from Miele to LG. The Miele had a cracked drum (our fault on house moves without bolting it). The repairman did say that he was seeing more and more Miele's for general problems and recommended LG and said that was what he had.

Sent from my SM-G955F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Trouble is, a decent washing machine is the most boring £1000 you’ll ever spend. You’d have thought it would be connected to the net or something, take voice commands or have a webcam so you can watch your pants going round? No. It washes your stuff. End. Boring.
    You can get this if you want... I mean if you need to use an app to check your washing then there are some that have that - I've seen the telly adverts! Not sure if they as good at the main purpose i.e. washing but they have the 'technology' for the smartphone generation ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Trouble is, a decent washing machine is the most boring £1000 you’ll ever spend.
    I take it you havn't got aluminium guttering then?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    A friend also swears by LG and when our Bosch dies (or we redo the kitchen) we'll get an LG. Wish we could now to be honest as the Bosch is the noisiest machine I've ever had, still only cost us £50 with 18 month warranty so can't complain and owes us nothing after 3 years if it broke tomorrow.

Our washing machine has just ‘nuked’ itself, albeit after 10 years of great service.
    A very useful thread to discover