timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which washing machine?

Master
    Blog Entries

Which washing machine?

I know, I know...

As a family of six,our washing machines tend to last about three years. True to form, our current one has died tonight.

I am more than capable of deciding on and subsequently purchasing a machine of my choice but a simple question:

Should I carry on buying a cheap one at £250ish or is a grands worth of Miele really worth the difference?

Obviously, along side capable, I’m lazy too so any model recommendations welcome :)

Try a Bosch somewhere between the figures you've quoted.

Just go into JL and let the mrs decide.

But in your shoes, heavy use, miele ten year guarantee sounds good.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I went through a lot of washing machines over a relatively short period.

I got sick of them dying just out of warranty, so instead I rented one with a maintenance contract and it simply never went wrong...

When I last moved house, I was not able to take it with me (some silly term in the contract), so I decided to go back to buying.

I concluded that the rental companies must know the reliable models, so I had a look at the current/new models available for renting and got one of those. Touch wood, five years later with a family of four and one dog... No issues to report.

It's a Bosch fwiw

Master
    I bought the bottom of the range Miele as they are so well made and do all the things you need them to we have had it about 7 years and it has never ever gone wrong.

Craftsman
    We had two mid-range Bosch machines and they were nothing but trouble, I wouldn't have another. Our current Samsung (Ecobubble?) seems OK, but next time I think I'll stretch for a Miele. Have only heard good things about them.

My daughter has 2 boys so the washers on a lot... she's bought a Samsung bubble thing washer and loves it... very quiet. Previously she had a Bosch about £400 and said it wasn't as good as the Samsung and had to have it repaired once.

Our mid-range AEG machine has been faultless despite pretty much daily use for 12 years. Still runs like new. We clean the filter regularly but nothing else.

LG they do direct drive , so less noise vibration etc. Do 10kg drums I think even bigger.
    A rated . We have one, mums first one last 13 years. I've recommended it to 3 other people , no one has had one breakdown (apart from mums after 13 years)

Blog Entries
    Miele for me. Still built in Germany and very dependable. I never clean it or use Calgon stuff and my first one died on me after 24 years.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Don't mess around, buy a Miele.

Another vote for LG here. As there's only the 2 of us now, we're not heavy users, but we've had ours 4/5 years and it does the job nicely. Whisper quiet, clothes go in dirty and come out clean. Job done.

Cheers,

Plug

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    Our mid-range AEG machine has been faultless despite pretty much daily use for 12 years. Still runs like new. We clean the filter regularly but nothing else.

This. Sensible money too, but make sure you buy one with a AEG model number (on their website) rather than one made for the likes of Curry's. These are made to a different specifications (and to a price).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

You can buy 5 cheapo Beko's for the price of one Miele.
    Jus' sayin'

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Jus' sayin'
    I’d rather have the Miele than the hassle of keep changing them.

Jus' sayin'
    I've never heard of a miele washing catching fire. Jus sayin.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Blog Entries
    We bought a Miele with 10 yrs guarantee on top of the Standard guarantee. I am glad we did... more trouble than we ever had with two AEGs in 20 or so years before the Miele!

Elektronics... the ‘analoge parts’ of the machine are first classs

Craftsman
    Had a Siemens for 9 years, died and now replaced with Miele (mid range), both great machines but think the Miele edges albeit its only doing about a 1/4 of what the Siemens did per week. Don't make them like they used to, had a Bendix back in the eighties and it lasted 15 years :)

Journeyman
    Another vote for Miele. Got a mid range model and never had any trouble.

Miele gets my vote. Ours is 7 years old, used every day (to clean guinea pig blankets, as well as family laundry, separate loads obviously - don't ask...), and it's never missed a beat. It came with a 10yr g'tee, but never had need to use it yet.

Had a Bosch for 10+ years.

Door seal replaced once has been only issue.

Would recommend.

Craftsman

Which washing machine?

We went through a few machines each getting more fancy and more complicated with bubbles, direct drive, iPhone apps and the like, amazingly they all cleaned clothes for a while then broke regardless of price or gizmos

So I went for a JL own brand with zero fancy features, yup no digital display bar a number, no bubbles or steam and it’s been brilliant

That said I would have bought a Miele if funds had allowed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 31st October 2017 at 10:00.

Master
    I watched a tv programme on white goods breaking as soon as the warranty runs out and an industry expert said its all the fancy electronics that no one ever uses that go wrong, and recommend buying a decent makes bottom of the range machine

Is it a spin off of 'which car thread'?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Master
    Buy a Miele model with a 10 year warranty. Job done.

What’s the water hardness like in your area?

I tend to recommend (my buiness sells domestic appliances) based on customers needs to buy cheap and cheerful and look at it being a throw away commodity or skip the middle ground and get a decent Bosch or Miele.

Worth nothing there is two tiers of Bosch now and to justify the cost of a Miele you need to have the need for it based on faimly size/requirements etc.

Master
    Jus' sayin'
    Yes but imagine the pain and hassle of having to change your washer 5 times!

After a couple of decades of 'other makes' typically lasting 5 years per machine. Went Miele over ten years ago and the only issue we've had was the plastic door handle broke last year. ISTR it was a tenner for a new handle and changed in about 15 mins. I'm for the easy life now which, as far as appliances are concerned (also cars, coffee machines, DiY tools, lawn mowers, and a whole range of other items), means I spend more and purchase a quality product and have a lot less grief and hassle!

Miele.

I also have an LG direct drive that has been faultless, but doesn't clean quite as well.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Go to Ruislip Appliances, they will certainly give you the best advice (and the fact that they sponsor our tri club does help). Will be running with the owner in Uxbridge tonight.

Living in a hard water area we don't waste money on expensive machines as they will die usually in 3-5 years regardless.

Whatever you go for try Euronics or AO, both offer much better service than John Lewis these days.

Back in July as I lay in hospital nursing a broken elbow I was given the news by SHMBO that the 8 year old Bosch had packed up, and being 'strapped for cash' we ordered a "logik'' for the princely sum of £179.00 so far nice clean clothes, used at least every other day, for reference Ill update the thread when it dies.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Interesting thread this one, I am about to amalgamate two houses, do I Keep my 12 year old Miele or install the 18month old Samsung? sorry about the thread diversion

Almost all washing machines except Miele have plastic outer tubs and concrete weights.

Miele still use stainless steel tubs and iron weights.

That said I bought an AEG for half the price as it came with the same 5 year guarantee as the Miele, and I thought if it dies 1 day after 5 years it’ll have done me well.

So, buy anything for a mid range price with a 5 year warranty has worked well for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Living in a hard water area we don't waste money on expensive machines as they will die usually in 3-5 years regardless.
    One of the reasons we have a water softener. ;-) Another 'must-have' appliance.

btw dish washer started throwing out smoke the other evening :-( Lasted 11 years so can't complain too much.

Ooh, I like a nice Mumsnet thread once in a while.

When I come to replace the washer in my Isle of Man apartment it will be Miele. Lovely soft water there which is kind to machines.

Our water in Malta is horrible and our glitchy, peaky electricity supply has a habit of frying fancy electronics (the switch-on following the last power cut at my office burned out our PABX leaving us phone-less for a day). I know they are less likely to work in British houses where washing machines tend to sit in a run of cupboards with a work surface above, but I am a convert to the top-loader. Much lighter because they don't have a big lump of concrete stabilising the drum. Plus if you drop a sock on the floor and only see it once the wash has started you just lift the lid and drop it in. Try that with a conventional automatic!

Mine cost around 300 euros 7 years ago, has mechanical/clockwork controls, no water heater, very little to go wrong apart from the motor and bearing. It shows no sign of dying yet.

Been through any number of cheap machines. Best I have had was a Miele - never went wrong despite being a washer dryer (which are notoriously unreliable) and being used all the time.

Unfortunately I lost that in the divorce :-(

Got a Bosch now which has (so far) proved excellent.

I'd still buy Miele if I had the money though.

Mark

Master
    My zanussi died the other week after 7 yrs and I replaced with a Bosch. Miele seem to enjoy the longevity but at a price.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Back in July as I lay in hospital nursing a broken elbow I was given the news by SHMBO that the 8 year old Bosch had packed up, and being 'strapped for cash' we ordered a "logik'' for the princely sum of £179.00 so far nice clean clothes, used at least every other day, for reference Ill update the thread when it dies.
    Agree, I was always an appliance snob buying Neff, Meile and Bosch. But when my built in Washing Machine packed up I thought it's hidden behind the kitchen door, I live in a very hard water area and thought save the cash and buy a cheap brand. This was over three years ago and I cannot fault it, 100% reliable, easy to use with convenient quick wash programme, digital, timers, good performance and not so noisy you cannot be in the same room. It is perfectly good. If it was on display however I'd have to have a respected good brand!!!

Master
    We have had our hotpoint aqualtis for 11 years now and it has been faultless, which I think is pretty good going for a household of 5 in a hard water area

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Miele for me, just bought one a few months ago after our Bosch gave up the ghost. Mine didn't cost a grand though, more like £600. Warranty is brilliant. I bought from John Lewis as they promised an extra year warranty, turns out Miele give you the extra year free, so no advantage going with JL. My son bought one from AO.com, brilliant delivery service and price, I will go there next for my white goods

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    One of the reasons we have a water softener. ;-) Another 'must-have' appliance.
    Indeed - I have softened water and a JL branded AEG built in fitted in 2012 and still going strong !

have had 3 washing machines since I moved into my own home....

Zanussi - lasted 4 years
    Miele - lasted 21 years - think it was about £650 at the time
    Miele - this replaced the last one 3 years ago and was about £850 albeit I think I just missed one of the free extended warranty offers (worth looking out for)

Not only do Miele last longer, they have taken the abuse of heavy use having had 3 sporty boys and all the washing they create and they also seem to have very solid doors - withstanding the slamming my wife seems to dish out !

On each occasion I've gone for one just a step or two above their entry level - most recent was delivered and installed by AO.

As an aside we've had a Miele dryer for 24 years ....and what is am amazing is it still looks brand new and matches the newer washer
    Last edited by dandanthewatchman; 31st October 2017 at 14:41.

Have 2 sons, one with special needs so our washing machine takes a proper hammering! - surprisingly out last cheap hotpoint Aquarius was still going strong when we left it at our last house after 8 years faultless use - so I bought another. If a door handle or similar breaks they are cheap and easy to source and I’m amazed at the reliability. I should add we’ve always had a household water softener which might help longevity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave,

Should of said above, we don’t cover London but if you want any advice feel free to PM me as we sell and repair most of the appliance mentioned above and might be able to help you out.

Combimate is very good also for getting rid of scale etc. You can have it plumbed in at your main water supply. Helps prolong the life of all your appliances.

Master
    Had a top of the range Siemens which lasted for about 12 years and then we bought a Miele - after getting some advice on here actually.

Didn't go for the top of the range, just something in the middle or towards the lower end of their range so there are limited functions and gimmicks. Mate has a Miele as well and must have had it over 10 years - no signs of ant problems at all.

When we were looking, we noticed that some of the high end ones in the Siemens, AEG, Bosch etc. ranges had wobbly soap drawers and so on which wasn't the case with the original Siemens we had. So not sure if quality has taken a little dive.

Having said all that, my in-laws had a Beko which cost around £200 and lasted for tens years.

So I would buy nice and cheap and be prepared to change more often (if needed) or buy at the lower/mid point of a brand like Miele.

I should add, that when I bought the Miele it came with 10 years parts and labour warranty. The machine I previously had, I think it was a hotpoint, was awful and although it came with a 5 year parts warranty all the parts were a few quid, but the call out and labour in those 5 years equalled the original purchase price - hence the Miele purchase.
    It's just a matter of time...

Samsung, first one was 9 years ago for under £200, finally died last month (TBH, could have resurrected it but parts would have been £250), got a new version of the same machine for £300 with 3 years parts & labour 'thrown in' by AO.com.

Only problem, new one plays a ^&^&** tune to tell you it's finished.

We've got a Bosch washer and condenser dryer, pretty old now, the washer needed new brushes a few years ago but that's the only bit of maintenance they've required. Hope I haven't just jinxed them with this post. Family of 5, grown ups now but we do a wash every other day.