closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mechanical Stuff thread

Blog Entries
    Here's one that's essential on the list, I think... ATCO B24R! Not mine, I hasten to add.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    1959 Stuart 10H Engine. Works fine but I do intend to do a full strip down, clean and rebuild when I find the time.
    Made just down the road from me in Henley on Thames. As a callow youth I had many jobs and for a very short period in the 70's I worked there assembling pumps. As I recall they still had the model part of the business on site at that time and I remember they had a marvelous window display of various model engines.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Here's one that's essential on the list, I think... ATCO B24R! Not mine, I hasten to add.

We're moving soon and one of these or a Suffolk Punch is on my list of wants when we get there. Great bits of kit with all the right stuff on them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    We're moving soon and one of these or a Suffolk Punch is on my list of wants when we get there. Great bits of kit with all the right stuff on them.
    Atco and Allett are high on the list, I suppose. Modern day Toro is good as well. Suggestion from a long time gardener... buy a machine with a roller, not 4 wheels on the corners. Reason:when mowing the edges of the lawn, the 4-wheeled machine will dig two wheels into the flower bed, tipping over - making the control of the machine uncomfortable. A machine with a large roll will stay level!

Menno

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Atco and Allett are high on the list, I suppose. Modern day Toro is good as well. Suggestion from a long time gardener... buy a machine with a roller, not 4 wheels on the corners. Reason:when mowing the edges of the lawn, the 4-wheeled machine will dig two wheels into the flower bed, tipping over - making the control of the machine uncomfortable. A machine with a large roll will stay level!

Menno
    Never thought of that, even though my 4 wheel one does it!! Obvious really. Tz mech thread to the rescue..........

Roll on my new workshop.

Master
    Yes please!
    Here you go. Last pic is of a mixing drum from local.sweet factory now repurposed

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Here you go. Last pic is of a mixing drum from local.sweet factory now repurposed

Mate, loving that stuff. Brilliant use of the mixing drum! Those scales are serious, probably need them soon if I don't start losing some weight.

I'm an inveterate tool collector, I must have the correct tool for the job and if I don't have it I'll source it. Frustrated with the limitations of the traditional vernier micrometer I've now purchased a JKA Feintaster bench micrometer, these are designed to measure extremely accurately to 100th of a millimeter, invaluable for determining pivot lengths especially from shoulder to shoulder, wheel teeth width etc. The design of these has changed now and they also no longer come in a velvet lined cabinet (the micrometer is fixed inside the cabinet and designed to be used in place) just a plain wooden one. Like most engineering instruments of this period it has a beautiful action.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    ...JKA Feintaster bench micrometer...
    That's an absolutely lovely instrument, not only functional and precise but beautifully presented which you don't see so often these days. The style of the dial reminds me of this Kontaktor tension gauge, also made in Germany.

Craftsman
    Mine says hi!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    I'm an inveterate tool collector, I must have the correct tool for the job and if I don't have it I'll source it. Frustrated with the limitations of the traditional vernier micrometer I've now purchased a JKA Feintaster bench micrometer, these are designed to measure extremely accurately to 100th of a millimeter, invaluable for determining pivot lengths especially from shoulder to shoulder, wheel teeth width etc. The design of these has changed now and they also no longer come in a velvet lined cabinet (the micrometer is fixed inside the cabinet and designed to be used in place) just a plain wooden one. Like most engineering instruments of this period it has a beautiful action.
    Beautiful bit of kit

Blog Entries
    That's an absolutely lovely instrument, not only functional and precise but beautifully presented which you don't see so often these days. The style of the dial reminds me of this Kontaktor tension gauge, also made in Germany.
    Nice one, love the finish on that.

Quote Originally Posted by me32dc View Post
    Mine says hi!
    I knew there'd be a few more on here

Bought from Ebay, complete with Box (with matching reel ser no), instruction manual.

The "Rolls-Royce" of fishing reels in its day. Nice to handle.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^^^ Used to do a lot of coarse fishing. Can remember getting my first 'proper reel' an Intrepid Black Prince! Had 'borrowed' my brothers tackle and rods 'till then.

Always liked the look of the 'multiplier' reels but never had the need for one.

Nice thing though.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 12th November 2017 at 17:27.

I used to use this in anger in the late 70s and 80s.
    Self reducing Tachometer Wild RDS-1.
    Clever system of fixed and moving graticules enabling horizontal and vertical distances to be easily measured.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
    I used to use this in anger in the late 70s and 80s.
    Self reducing Tachometer Wild RDS-1.
    Clever system of fixed and moving graticules enabling horizontal and vertical distances to be easily measured.
    Looks pretty complex to me!! Another good desk ornament (if the missus doesn't get to it)

Looks pretty complex to me!! Another good desk ornament (if the missus doesn't get to it)
    It's really very simple.
    You read off an ordinary level staff.
    Set the cross-hair at say the 1m mark, read the top fixed stadia say it is 1.65m, and read where the variable curved stadia crosses the staff and note also the factor which is showing on the line. Say 1.15m & -0.2.
    If you subtract the bottom reading from the top one (1.65 - 1.00) and multiply the result by 100, then that is horizontal (plan) distance of the staff fron the instrument, in this case 65 m.
    Subtract the bottom from the middle and multiply by the factor (1.15- 1.00)x-0.2 and then add the bottom reading to the result if a negative factor (subtract if positive), to get the difference in elevation. In this case -1.03m below the centre of the telescope (collimation).

Blog Entries
    It's really very simple.
    You read off an ordinary level staff.
    Set the cross-hair at say the 1m mark, read the top fixed stadia say it is 1.65m, and read where the variable curved stadia crosses the staff and note also the factor which is showing on the line. Say 1.15m & -0.2.
    If you subtract the bottom reading from the top one (1.65 - 1.00) and multiply the result by 100, then that is horizontal (plan) distance of the staff fron the instrument, in this case 65 m.
    Subtract the bottom from the middle and multiply by the factor (1.15- 1.00)x-0.2 and then add the bottom reading to the result if a negative factor (subtract if positive), to get the difference in elevation. In this case -1.03m below the centre of the telescope (collimation).
    Er rr..rr...right I think I've got that now!!!

(blimey!)

Er rr..rr...right I think I've got that now!!!

(blimey!)
    Believe me when I tell you that compared to the method it replaced (subtense bar tachyometry), it is. very simple.

Blog Entries
    Believe me when I tell you that compared to the method it replaced (subtense bar tachyometry), it is. very simple.
    I suppose like a lot of things if you do it regularly it becomes second nature. Just wondering if I had taken up a job offer when I was 18 (a few years ago!) to train as surveyor that might have been something I would have used.

Found this site and spent ages reading about stuff I'd never use but hey..... it's interesting to me!

http://www.dehilster.info/geodetic_i...rbrugg_rds.php

Nice one.

This thread has got me looking into vintage theodolites and tacheometers now. Very interesting instruments. Thanks, I think...

I also have a Cooke Troughton & Simms Tavistock 1sec direct reading microptic theodolite. It's stripped down to bare metal/casting at the moment as a big chunk of paint and filler came off the body.
    http://www.dehilster.info/geodetic_i...theodolite.php

Last edited by chrisb; 13th November 2017 at 19:33.

Blog Entries
    There’s something a bit ‘robotic’ looking about some of these. Amazingly well made by the look of them.

Blog Entries
    This sits on my desk, not just because I like the look of it, it also works really well. Probably should be re-wired or something because I don't think it's been inspected for a 'while'!

Works really well and still quiet when running. Believed to have originated from a nearby RAF camp. Has the arrow m.o.d. mark on it.

Bit more electrical than mechanical but hope you'll let me off that one!

Ian

Stanton Instruments - A.D.5. laboratory balance

I used something similar at work, and bought this older version in a second hand shop. It measures up to 200g, at 1mg resolution
    The graticule displays 0-500mg, then you need to place the gram weights on the counterbalance pan in 1/2 gram increments (250mg is shown on the display)

We also have the ships compass on a gimble which I refurbished, and found a cheap box to house it in.
    PS - thanks again to Ratty who provided the 4ba brass screws I needed to re-fit the bezel and glass.
    Last edited by Reeny; 17th November 2017 at 11:15.

My collection of fishing reels is almost as big as my watch collection. Here's a few of my vintage reels....

Very early multiplier by A.B. Urfabriken Svangsta, (ABU), Record No 1300. This was ABU's first reel, made in the 1940's. The crosscut line carriage screw drives the line carriage backwards and forwards when the reel is wound ensuring an even line lay across the spool. I have several ABU's, including a matched pair of 501's; but, at only 2 inches wide, this one is my favourite - exquisite engineering.

Japanese Compac Hornet open face spinning reel from the 1950's, made by Olympic Fishing Tackle Co, Tokyo. The folding handle is simply back wound to unscrew and fold.

A pair of vintage trout reels. The 'brassie' on the right is all original, complete with silk line. Can't date this one as it's completely unsigned. The one on the right is a 1950's USA made fly reel. It was in dreadful condition when I picked it up. I fully restored it a number of years ago and have fitted it with a rather unusual level tapered line of unknown, but quite old, vintage and still use it to this day.

One of my reel bags. I have a passion for electronics, but I'm glad that fishing reels remain mechanical. A friend of mine had an interesting fly reel, as line was taken out to cast it would an internal spring, (bit like a larger version of a pocket watch main spring). With a fish on you'd wind in manually as normal and the spring would unwind; but to retrieve line rapidly you pressed a lever and the spring rewound the line very rapidly. One on my list to find and add to my collection.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Lovely reels Peter. My mate has a few of the old wood and brass ones, an aluminium sidecaster and some trotting reels from the fifties. He also got a 'Strike Rite' Ultraflow' reel, really nice for a fiver, especially as it came fitted to a F.T.Wilkinson 12 foot split cane, 'The Dorset' in as new condition...

Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post
    Lovely reels Peter. My mate has a few of the old wood and brass ones, an aluminium sidecaster and some trotting reels from the fifties. He also got a 'Strike Rite' Ultraflow' reel, really nice for a fiver, especially as it came fitted to a F.T.Wilkinson 12 foot split cane, 'The Dorset' in as new condition...
    Thank you bobbee. I only have one wooden 'Nottingham' reel in my collection as I do use almost all of them, (like watches they're meant to be used), but the Nottingham's brass bearings wear so easily they don't spin freely enough for casting or trotting a Stick or Avon float.

I do have a Strike Rite though, lovely 'solid' reel, but sadly no split cane rods any more. Again, I use rods to fish with and spit cane tends to be too heavy for me nowadays.

Talking about heavy, I started fishing, (ignoring the garden cane rod and cotton reel plus bent pin and worm of my very young childhood), with a rod made from an ex-army Tank Arial. About 7 foot long with a turned wooden handle - now that WAS heavy. A 12 foot split cane followed, then a greenheart fly rod - ah wonderful days. Now it's mostly carbon fibre, though I do have a Boron fly rod which I adore.

Your mate is lucky to have the Dorset, a beautiful rod. Needs care, but a cracking rod in it's day. All he needs now is an Allcocks Aerial to really set it off - they're still good to fish with too.
    Best Regards - Peter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    My collection of fishing reels is almost as big as my watch collection. Here's a few of my vintage reels....

Very early multiplier by A.B. Urfabriken Svangsta, (ABU), Record No 1300. This was ABU's first reel, made in the 1940's. The crosscut line carriage screw drives the line carriage backwards and forwards when the reel is wound ensuring an even line lay across the spool. I have several ABU's, including a matched pair of 501's; but, at only 2 inches wide, this one is my favourite - exquisite engineering.

Japanese Compac Hornet open face spinning reel from the 1950's, made by Olympic Fishing Tackle Co, Tokyo. The folding handle is simply back wound to unscrew and fold.

A pair of vintage trout reels. The 'brassie' on the right is all original, complete with silk line. Can't date this one as it's completely unsigned. The one on the right is a 1950's USA made fly reel. It was in dreadful condition when I picked it up. I fully restored it a number of years ago and have fitted it with a rather unusual level tapered line of unknown, but quite old, vintage and still use it to this day.

One of my reel bags. I have a passion for electronics, but I'm glad that fishing reels remain mechanical. A friend of mine had an interesting fly reel, as line was taken out to cast it would an internal spring, (bit like a larger version of a pocket watch main spring). With a fish on you'd wind in manually as normal and the spring would unwind; but to retrieve line rapidly you pressed a lever and the spring rewound the line very rapidly. One on my list to find and add to my collection.

I gave up fishing a few years back. So why am I so jealous of that lot?

I gave up fishing a few years back. So why am I so jealous of that lot?
    I've never been angling in my life but I am as well.

Thanks for the kind words guys, appreciated.

Here's a few more from my collection....

A vintage Diawa spinning reel. This is a lovely low geared spinning reel with a gear ratio of 3.5:1 turn of the handle.

Another of my Diawa's. This is a closed face casting reel again used for spinning. Great for casting into the wind. Fitted with a Star Drag mechanism for easy adjustment while fighting a heavy fish.

A vintage Mitchell 300. I've wone a lot of fishing matches using this reel so, even though it's now well worn, it retains a high place in my collection, though isn't often used these days.

Now this one is very special. It was made by a non-angler! It was an apprentices examination piece and is a truly wonderful free running centrepin trotting reel. It's also a fabulous piece of engineering.

The screw head bottom right controls a brake on the spool which provides friction to the back-plate through a carbon fibre bush and spring mechanism inside the spool. This enables an infinitely variable resistance between fully locked to completely free running. In free running state the reel spins for several minutes with just the slightest spin of the handles. This is due to a needle bearing in the centre spindle. The spool on most centrepins have a solid bush which rotates around a fixed spindle fixed to the back-plate; on this reel it's the spindle itself that rotates, the spool is firmly fixed to it. And the spindle attachment itself is cleverly designed as it has two equally sized screw threads separated by a small space on the spindle, thus the spool retaining cap, bottom left, screws onto the first thread then lowers to the second before tightening down to the spool - a clever way of ensuring that the spool doesn't drop off of the cap comes loose.

The back of the spool showing the carbon fibre bush, top left, and a small screw, bottom right which retains a counterbalance to the brake control screw on the front 'inside' the spool on its rear-plate. An excellent and well though out way to prevent wobble, and more precise than the usual counter-balance attached to the front plate. Needless to say, the apprentice passed his exam with flying colours. It's also a dream to fish with

And now for something more modern....

A very modern drop shotting and light spinning reel. It contains no less than 12 ball races, (11 inside the reel itself and one in the bail arm), and has a gear ratio of 5.2:1 turn of the handle. I love fishing with this one, it's handled Chub to 5Lb comfortably - not bad for a small and light piece of engineering.
    Best Regards - Peter

Some classic reels there!

The Japanese one is interesting, and bears a not dissimilar look to the Intrepid reels of the day. (go figure)

I have a few of the 'recent' classics, some bought purely because they were iconic in my teens:

Intrepid Pirate (multiplier)
    Abumatic 506 (brand new in box and original line even)
    Abu 503, 505
    Ambassadeur 5000c, 6000c, 1000c

Also bought one of those ABU Diplomat spinning rods - beautifully made.

A few years ago - I built up a bit of a collection of the ABU Tight Lines catalogs - that was 'porn' to many teenagers in the early '70s.

Al

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Griswold;4566997]

A vintage Mitchell 300. I've wone a lot of fishing matches using this reel so, even though it's now well worn, it retains a high place in my collection, though isn't often used these days.

[QUOTE]

Takes me back seeing that. Had a couple of Mitchell reels in the day!! Nice one.

Might have to have a look at a few car boots, you never know when you might need one!

A complete change of scale to bump this thread - a Sea Tractor. Purpose built for carrying guests to a hotel across a spit of land that is submerged at high tide. More fun to ride on than I can describe.

Blog Entries
    Pic or vid not working?

Pic or vid not working?
    Sorry about that. It looks OK in my Tapatalk app but let me try again.

Blog Entries
    Got it now!!
    Wicked looking beast love to go on that!!

It was great - I have a bit of video of it in action, here is a still.

The first one was built in the 1930s apparently. This is the 4th generation. All have been to the same basic design but with upgraded engines and transmission. I think they can traverse water up to 6ft deep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    It was great - I have a bit of video of it in action, here is a still.

The first one was built in the 1930s apparently. This is the 4th generation. All have been to the same basic design but with upgraded engines and transmission. I think they can traverse water up to 6ft deep.
    Thats a pretty simple answer to a basic problem, I love the thinking behind it. Must look amazing if the waters a bit deeper!

Something like this?

The original 1930's one looks like something from Mad Max.

Hmmmm. That looks like a hoot.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Its a dangerous place because the waves break in from both sides. They did say they don't use it if the weather is bad...

Master
    You wouldn't have caught me on that in those seas.

Blog Entries
    Crikey that looks pretty scary to me!!

Theo Jansen's Strandbeest, also to be found on beaches.

Blog Entries
    Theo Jansen's Strandbeest, also to be found on beaches.
    The way they move is just amazing!!

Superb Mr. Curta.

Have to say I like machines, Tools and optics and other stuff that's old!

I've collected a few small lathes..

Some taps/dies, Easy outs and other bits..

A Governor for a lift that I was given by a friend, It came from a building in Pond street, Sheffield, Think it was called the PolyTech, My mate was a surveyer for the Uni or maybe the Council and was given this when the elevators were overhauled!!

Almost broke me back getting it out of the car and on to the back garden on me todd!!

My old Watch parts cleaner when I used to play at stripping watches, Rebuilding them and lubricating during the build, I sold it as arthritis was making me not grip the tools properly, I was dropping the tools in to the movements frequently

Some more tools..

Things with lenses amaze me!, A few of my bins..

Orion 8" reflector, I've seen some stuff through this, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Another scope but an old refractor, I ought to start looking for a tripod for it!!

But of all, These are my fave machines

John

*cough* most of your air rifles are mechanical *cough* you have proper, proper stunners of those!