closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mechanical Stuff thread

Got this old thing in the garage, I presume its a book press, the plate is about A4 size and its incredibly heavy, got some cool hand painted decoration on it too, in a Art Deco style.
    Im trying to think what possible modern use I can put it to.
    Last edited by JasonM; 3rd November 2017 at 14:06.

Blog Entries
    ^^^^^
    Thats a thing and a half I reckon. Solid made, would be good for wet leather working to press flat wallets etc. Make a hell of a paperweight or doorstop?

Thanks, it is pretty cool in a industrial way, I must get the surface rust sorted and use some of that black fireplace stuff to make it a bit more sanitary, the damp garage hasn’t done it any favours since I last saw it, maybe I can use it as a nutcracker this Christmas!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Thanks, it is pretty cool in a industrial way, I must get the surface rust sorted and use some of that black fireplace stuff to make it a bit more sanitary, the damp garage hasn’t done it any favours since I last saw it, maybe I can use it as a nutcracker this Christmas!
    You could crack a whole rugby team’s nuts with that thing!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    My Myford S7 from 1966, another great example of British made quality (IMO).
    I remember making all sorts of bits on one of those at school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I am waiting for Dave S's contribution. He has shown us incredible skills restoring his Porsche's engine and... inventing tools (!) for the jobs when you really need Porsche's own tools. Talking about mechanical stuff...

I was considering showing the dismantling of a Lucas starter motor for a TR6. We've been busy today dismantling one. But then i realised that it is -A- partly electrics and -B- Lucas' parts are not UK's biggest industrial triumph...

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Ha! I've been waiting for your reply the moment the OP started this thread! C'mon show us a few of Curt's finest.

Menno
    If you insist!

I think that most members here are aware of the marvel of mechanical engineering that is the Curta calculator, the smallest four-function mechanical calculator ever made. The history of how the Curta came to be created is as interesting as the machine itself; Curt Herzstark refined his design whilst imprisoned at Buchenwald concentration camp and probably only survived due to his technical expertise. These are, without a doubt, my favourite mechanical device.

The jewel in my collection is this very early Curta Type I, dating from February 1949. The design was still being refined at this stage and it has a few features that only exist on the earliest models such as rounded pin setting sliders, 'SYSTEM CURT HERZSTARK' inscribed on the body and an anticlockwise opening case. The Type I has eight digits for data entry, a six-digit revolution counter, and an eleven-digit result counter.

In 1954 the larger Type II was introduced, which has eleven digits for data entry, an eight-digit revolution counter, and a fifteen-digit result counter. This example dates from November 1955.

Later versions of the Type I feature rectangular setting sliders but have exactly the same internal design. I use a 1965 model in my office on a regular basis. This one is from January 1968.

And here is a later Type II, from April 1966, with the grey casing and every third rectangular setting slider knob in red. It came with a nice bespoke field case.

'Curta Corner' of my modest mechanical calculator display, featuring the four main variants.

There is an excellent exploded diagram available as a poster that illustrates the internal intricacies.

(c) Rick Furr
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 3rd November 2017 at 19:51.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Here's my safe, sorry for poor pic it's in the garage behind some boxes as we're moving soon. Only gets used if we go away, normally use some a bit smaller and more modern!

Charming

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Charming
    Here is my whiskey stassh

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Master

And big bertha

Blog Entries
    About the Curta: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhUfRIeRSZE

For a moment, I thought that it was James May’s voice btw

At work i get to play with - among other things - Rankine cycle steam turbines, Sterling engines, ramjets and pulsejets.
    The pulsejets are very, very, very loud.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I think that most members here are aware of the marvel of mechanical engineering that is the Curta calculator, the smallest four-function mechanical calculator ever made. The history of how the Curta came to be created is as interesting as the machine itself; Curt Herzstark refined his design whilst imprisoned at Buchenwald concentration camp and probably only survived due to his technical expertise. These are, without a doubt, my favourite mechanical device.

The jewel in my collection is this very early Curta Type I, dating from February 1949. The design was still being refined at this stage and it has a few features that only exist on the earliest models such as rounded pin setting sliders, 'SYSTEM CURT HERZSTARK' inscribed on the body and an anticlockwise opening case. The Type I has eight digits for data entry, a six-digit revolution counter, and an eleven-digit result counter.
    Great post, never seen those before, keep looking at the exploded diagram, thats some mechanicals in those!!

Blog Entries
    And big bertha
    Loving both safes. Your whisky one is really nice looking. Need one for my new office when we move soon!! (we perhaps best not mention it to the missus before the deal is done!!) The inside looks almost identical to mine as well.

Do you get that air seal thing going on when you open and close it? You have to close the door on mine slowly as you hear the air escaping.

That Big Bertha is a monster! Can't get over the thickness of the door, serious stuff. More jealousy going on. This thread is going to end up costing me a bit at a this rate!
    Ian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    At work i get to play with - among other things - Rankine cycle steam turbines, Sterling engines, ramjets and pulsejets.

"Rankine cycle steam turbines, Sterling engines, ramjets and pulsejets"

Blimey life just isn't fair. You could go off a person you know.

Seen some small pulsejets and yes they were............LOUD............very!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post

It's steal, it's very hot and it looks interesting. But, I have no idea what I am looking at. I (we?) won't mind getting an explanation or similar.

Menno

Master
    Loving both safes. Your whisky one is really nice looking. Need one for my new office when we move soon!! (we perhaps best not mention it to the missus before the deal is done!!) The inside looks almost identical to mine as well.

Do you get that air seal thing going on when you open and close it? You have to close the door on mine slowly as you hear the air escaping.

That Big Bertha is a monster! Can't get over the thickness of the door, serious stuff. More jealousy going on. This thread is going to end up costing me a bit at a this rate!
    Ian
    I get the air seal thing, the little chap came from scunthorpe post office 19 years a go, i caught up with it by accident at a scrap merchants i know, the box was free but i had to pay for the keys and brass furniture. Two keys, both needed to operate the lock, Two individuals to coerce into unlocking.

The biggie was a 500 quid from ebay, i had to take it out from a high street bank at my expense,i managed this on my own, once in the street a friend with a skip firm came and collected it, it did take me a week to do and i made a 7min time lapse film.

I have an interest in old icons of daily life,
    I have the clocking in clock from Liverpool train station in my hall still works, the rhythmic ticking is a lovely noise. Also two royal mail pillar boxes stand as guardians to my french doors on the patio.
    Last edited by MCFastybloke; 4th November 2017 at 07:46.

it did take me a week to do and i made a 7min time lapse film.

I have an interest in old icons of daily life,
    We need pictures of everything. And the video.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    We need pictures of everything. And the video.
    Photobucket has shafted that

And big bertha
    I like that relocking mechanism.

Glen Deveron.
    Respect.
    Quality triumphs over perception. Tried GlenDronach?

Blog Entries

Oh dear, I think I need one.

Could be a dangerous thread I think!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Glen Deveron.
    Respect.
    Quality triumphs over perception. Tried GlenDronach?
    No, early on in this journey for me

Oh dear, I think I need one.
    Everybody needs a Curta!

Here's Alex Bellos describing these wonderful machines:

There are a few of other videos on YouTube demonstrating Curtas in action.

Blog Entries
    Everybody needs a Curta!

Here's Alex Bellos describing these wonderful machines:

There are a few of other videos on YouTube demonstrating Curtas in action.

I'm not looking...............I'm not looking.............I'm not...............oh my..........thats just really good.

Although Curta mechanical calculators are compact masterpieces considered to be the design zenith of the pre-electronic computer era, they are not exactly rare. They were manufactured from 1947 to 1970 and around 80,000 Type I and 60,000 Type II models were produced. Prices have increased recently (probably due to the exposure provided by Adam Savage on YouTube) and there are some unusual and rare variants but they all share the same internal design.

In 1960 the reputable German typewriter company Alpina (the same Alpina that later moved into automobile manufacturing but nothing to do with the innovative watch company) started to produce a high quality hand cranked miniature calculating machine with the intention of it being a rival to the well established Curta. The ambitious design led to increasing manufacturing costs and it was unable to compete; production ceased within a year and only around 4,000 calculators were built. There was a brief attempt at a revival in 1971 leading to a further 1,600 machines being produced.

Because of their relative scarcity, Alpina calculators are much sought after by collectors and museums. Like Curtas, they have generally survived very well and are usually still in full working order.

The serial number of mine is 003844 dating it to 1961 (the preceding zeros indicate the initial ambitions of the manufacturer). It is in perfect working order and complete with case, instructions and heavy metal stand for use on a desk.

Blog Entries
    Thats nice as well, has a great look to it. ^^^^^

Blog Entries
    I can see that on the corner of an office desk, row after row in a with German Gründlichkeit engineered building. With properly dressed men and women behind the desks.(VW's or Siemens' controller 'Abteiling' perhaps!?)

It's very nice and it combined the purpose-build top of the machine with the swoosh style of the pedestal. Real 50s and 60s design.

M.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Got this old thing in the garage, I presume its a book press, the plate is about A4 size and its incredibly heavy, got some cool hand painted decoration on it too, in a Art Deco style.
    Im trying to think what possible modern use I can put it to.
    Jason, according to her indoors these are quite rare and sought after in the book restoring world.

Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    Jason, according to her indoors these are quite rare and sought after in the book restoring world.
    Thanks!
    Interesting to know.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I have myself one of these, different base machine but same attachment. Makes work a lot easier and saves employing extra guys on the ground.

https://youtu.be/zu7p1HPkxdU

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    I have myself one of these, different base machine but same attachment. Makes work a lot easier and saves employing extra guys on the ground.

https://youtu.be/zu7p1HPkxdU
    Serious boys toy that is. I'd just want it at home.

And big bertha

If you activate those relockers, do you then well and truly have to just get through the walls of the safe to access the contents?

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    If you activate those relockers, do you then well and truly have to just get through the walls of the safe to access the contents?
    That depends on whether to door is open or not when it happens...

Blog Entries
    That depends on whether to door is open or not when it happens...
    How do the relockers work?

How do the relockers work?
    The door has glass plates mounted on the inside that will break if an attempt is made to drill the lock or open it by other brute force methods. These have tensioned wires attached which will release spring bolts at various points into the locking mechanism if the glass breaks, completely securing it. They are hard enough to withdraw if you can get to the rear of the door, and impossible if it is locked shut.

Serious boys toy that is. I'd just want it at home.
    funny as it's actually in my back garden at the moment!! Perks of the job !

1959 Stuart 10H Engine. Works fine but I do intend to do a full strip down, clean and rebuild when I find the time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BCD View Post
    funny as it's actually in my back garden at the moment!! Perks of the job !
    Whoooaaaa not fair....

Blog Entries
    1959 Stuart 10H Engine. Works fine but I do intend to do a full strip down, clean and rebuild when I find the time.

I like that, what a desk ornament! Built to last a lifetime.

Now where's that blue boiler suit..................

Map measuring devices are a whole lot less complicated but I find them pleasantly reminiscent of the travels of my younger days and a time when things were far less automated. I like the various different coloured scales and the additional features such as the compass and magnifier.

Blog Entries
    What nice things they are. Look well made and perfect for the job.

Master
    I have some Avery Scales my wife bought and restored for me to use as my seat in the garden. Will get a picture at weekend.

Blog Entries
    Up there with the most interesting TZ-UK threads ever! Properly engineered kit and those safes, wow!
    To all contributors:-

Not mine but where I work:the whole place is full of mechanical "stuff"DSC_0330 by scuderiablkhole, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    I have some Avery Scales my wife bought and restored for me to use as my seat in the garden. Will get a picture at weekend.
    Yes please!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    Not mine but where I work:the whole place is full of mechanical "stuff"DSC_0330 by scuderiablkhole, on Flickr
    Great picture, and thats some seriously good "stuff"! Must be loads of interesting things there. Do they have one of those ginormous turntables?

Great picture, and thats some seriously good "stuff"! Must be loads of interesting things there. Do they have one of those ginormous turntables?
    We wish - we have to run the locos round the train, so forwards up line , reverse down line.

Blog Entries
    In my yoof (which seems a good way off back in the mists these days) I spent many a happy hour mooching around Tyseley rail museum and railway sidings. Great equipment and very pleasant and knowledgeable engineers with not a single bean counter or ‘elf&safety’ gherkin to be seen!