closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Mechanical Stuff thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Theo Jansen's Strandbeest, also to be found on beaches.

Utterly amazing, thanks for posting.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    *cough* most of your air rifles are mechanical *cough* you have proper, proper stunners of those!

Oooops!!

I'd forgotten about those!!

BTW, I do have an electronic airgun, It's a Ruskie called a Drozd (It means Bumblebee apparently as they were originally yellow!!)
    It operates on Co2, Four AA batteries works the hammer to knock the valve open, I presume it will be a Solenoid type of thing..

It shoots .177cal steel BB's as fast as you can squeeze the trigger at around 500 fps, They were originally made to be fully auto but we're not allowed full auto so the options for it and burst rate of fire switches are covered by little plates!!

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Have to say I like machines, Tools and optics and other stuff that's old!

John
    Great post, love the Bladerunner quote as well. That lift mech is so nice looking, could be off a retro time machine!!

Jealous of the lathes too!!
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Great post, love the Bladerunner quote as well. That lift mech is so nice looking, could be off a retro time machine!!

Jealous of the lathes too!!
    Ian

Bladerunner is among my all time fave films Ian!!

John

Rotten pics, but a thoroughly beautiful MK3 of mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbee View Post

Webley Mk3 are still a nice rifle. Only have a BSA springer now, in the air dept. but it still sees some use!

Blog Entries
    Bladerunner is among my all time fave films Ian!!

John
    Mine too! Wicked.

I love Webley rifles and have a few in my collection, The mk3 is my most favourite Webbo, It's nicer, Sleeker and much better made than most others (imo)!!

I've a couple of earlier ones too..

John

Blog Entries
    Sit back and enjoy this (mechanical clock content as well!!)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post

Nice one never seen that before, some lovely mechanical stuff there. We're gonna need a bigger shed...................

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    There's only one answer to that.

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Journeyman
    I love Webley rifles and have a few in my collection, The mk3 is my most favourite Webbo, It's nicer, Sleeker and much better made than most others (imo)!!

John

Nice collection, what are they .22 or .177 and which do you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    Nice collection, what are they .22 or .177 and which do you prefer?
    Hi Moe

The top two are .22, Next down is .177 and the bottom is .22, The .177 is my fave as it's the one i've had the longest

The top one is a very early one that has a two stage trigger before they were made simpler, Single stage and cheaper!!!

Have to say though that this Venom tuned and blued 1970 HW35 is my fave, It's the smoothest rifle I own, It was on an Export stock when I bought it but dropped on this lovely Luxus stock cheaply!!

John

Journeyman
    Hi Moe

The top two are .22, Next down is .177 and the bottom is .22, The .177 is my fave as it's the one i've had the longest

The top one is a very early one that has a two stage trigger before they were made simpler, Single stage and cheaper!!!

Have to say though that this Venom tuned and blued 1970 HW35 is my fave, It's the smoothest rifle I own, It was on an Export stock when I bought it but dropped on this lovely Luxus stock cheaply!!

John
    Hi John,

I had a play with a MKIII a while ago and it was great fun. I'll have a look into the HW35 as it looks interesting, although I was previously advised to avoid break barrels as they are generally not as accurate as a fixed barrel with underlever. Also, have you ever tried re-blueing any of the barrels in your collection. Whats the end result like?
    Last edited by moe100; 3rd December 2017 at 22:26.

Master
    johnbaz,that hw35 stock is stunning,i have a hw35 but it has the standard plain stock,here's a few quick and very poor pics of my gunroom walls,the very long beast is an antique punt gun approx 200yrs old. ...................https://i.imgur.com/tZqg4Ij.jpg..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 4th December 2017 at 11:31.

Master
    here's a link to the beast in action on my "land punt".its firing a reduced load of 12oz of lead shot in deference to its great age.punt guns of this size [9 feet long] and weight [75lb] would be able to a shoot 20oz loading.. ..https://youtu.be/MsT3j1E8tmE

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
    here's a link to the beast in action on my "land punt".its firing a reduced load of 12oz of lead shot in deference to its great age.punt guns of this size [9 feet long] and weight [75lb] would be able to a shoot 20oz loading...
    That is tremendous. Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about guns. What would that have been used for? The Loch Ness Monster maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    That is tremendous. Forgive my ignorance, I know nothing about guns. What would that have been used for? The Loch Ness Monster maybe?
    Flocking waterfowl I think. Presumably shot from a punt boat.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    they were used for harvesting wildfowl fixed to what looked like a canoe but called a punt,before the days of effective refridgeration punt gunners living around the coast and some inland waters would shoot as many geese and ducks as possible to send by train to London etc for consumption by the well off.these guns were capable of shooting a hundred birds at a time but the norm was far less.the best shooting was done in very hard weather ,snow, ice storms etc.it was a very hard and dangerous life making a living this way and most punt gunners suffered from ailments brought on by these conditions and many perished in the water..

Thanks both, quite an insight into a very different time. A hard life but probably considered quite a profitable one by the standards of the time. How would you load it? Does it take a cartridge like a shotgun?

I have eight of these, they are mesmerising, you forget how clever they are if you see them every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Cl7gH7sZo

Master
    its a muzzle loader,the front of the gun is lifted to the highest angle you can get it and still reach the muzzle.black powder[gunpowder] is poured into the muzzle, a wad of newspaper is pushed down after it with the the ramrod [thats the long rod laying in the grass in the video] and tamped down over the powder.then the shot load would be poured down after it and also tamped down with newspaper to keep it in place.the gun is then fixed to the punt with breeching ropes.the lock on this gun was originally a flintlock but has been converted during its working life to use a shotgun cartridge primer to ignite the charge.this is done by cocking the hammer on the lock.it is fired by pulling a lanyard[in my case a very long one!]the flame from the ignited primer passes into the barrel setting off the load and BOOM .the pound coin will put the size in context....
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 4th December 2017 at 11:32.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I have eight of these, they are mesmerising, you forget how clever they are if you see them every day.
    Completely captivating, I could watch those machines for a long time and not get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Flocking waterfowl I think...
    Not keen on them?

its a muzzle loader,the front of the gun is lifted to the highest angle you can get it and still reach the muzzle...
    Extraordinary. Thanks for explaining.

Blog Entries
    johnbaz,that hw35 stock is stunning,i have a hw35 but it has the standard plain stock,here's a few quick and very poor pics of my gunroom walls,the very long beast is an antique punt gun approx 200yrs old. ........
    Looks like more stuff than when I saw it last!! Love the punt gun, always raises a smile!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Cl7gH7sZo
    Yes that is amazing how fast they are.

Couldn't get a clear idea at first what they were doing so found a similar machine here.

A hand made tool with one sole function in life.
    To make removing the brake disc flange from a BMW final drive a very simple 30 second job . Otherwise it's a time consuming pain in the arse.

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good piece of kit, probably not cheap to buy!

It's always satisfying to use 'special' tools for the job.

johnbaz,that hw35 stock is stunning,i have a hw35 but it has the standard plain stock,here's a few quick and very poor pics of my gunroom walls,the very long beast is an antique punt gun approx 200yrs old. ...................https://i.imgur.com/tZqg4Ij.jpg..
    Is that a Walther pistol there? If so which model?

Blog Entries
    Looks like a good piece of kit, probably not cheap to buy!

It's always satisfying to use 'special' tools for the job.
    Indeed! Bespoke tools are always the best tools. I spotted a special tool on Wheeler Dealers last week. Ant took out a simple-but-precisely-shaped piece of metal resembling something you use to scrape weeds from the terrace. He used it for raising the camshaft of a Mitsubishi 3000GT.

I am waiting for Dave S' contribution: he showed us bespoke tools for his Porsche engine's rebuild.

Menno

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jools View Post
    Is that a Walther pistol there? If so which model?
    hi,yes well spotted in my very poor pic,its an LP3 single stroke pneumatic.beautifully made, i think it was made as a competitor to the olympic standard pistol of the day the FWB65 [directly above it in the display cabinet].i prefer the Walter but it was never as popular as the FWB i believe due to being more difficult to cock and load..

https://youtu.be/b8Ll_jfKzyQ

Steam centipede apparently!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    https://youtu.be/b8Ll_jfKzyQ

Steam centipede apparently!
    Oh my.
    Could I sneak it into the garage.........

Blog Entries
    Oh my.
    Could I sneak it into the garage.........
    it's a start.... http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...32;wwwRedirect and this: http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com

hi,yes well spotted in my very poor pic,its an LP3 single stroke pneumatic.beautifully made, i think it was made as a competitor to the olympic standard pistol of the day the FWB65 [directly above it in the display cabinet].i prefer the Walter but it was never as popular as the FWB i believe due to being more difficult to cock and load..
    Thanks, thought I recognised it. Never handled one but always lusted after them! I had an LP53 springer, took a bit of getting used to but I found it very accurate once I'd mastered it. Happy days.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! You're really not helping...........

I've a couple of earlier ones too..

John

Damn John, you have some beauties there!
    I love the Webley Service MK2, my buddy has one of those in great condition.
    He didn't know what he had until I looked it up for him. The serial number dates it to pre war too.
    He has a really nice BSA Merlin underlever too, original box and manual, still wrapped in its original moisture repellent paper.
    I would really like an Original model 50, and a BSA Stutzen, two gorgeous guns.
    Last edited by bobbee; 9th December 2017 at 12:47.

Quote Originally Posted by moe100 View Post
    Hi John,

I had a play with a MKIII a while ago and it was great fun. I'll have a look into the HW35 as it looks interesting, although I was previously advised to avoid break barrels as they are generally not as accurate as a fixed barrel with underlever. Also, have you ever tried re-blueing any of the barrels in your collection. Whats the end result like?
    Hi Moe

I had a go at reblueing (Several times!), The outcome was never good i'm afraid

These three actions came out the best using a product called Ballistol Klever Blue, Trouble was that three months later they had faded to a grey colour, They'd not even been handled in all that time!!

They are L to R-

BSA Airsporter Stutzen
    HW35e
    BSA Airsporter mk1

Damn John, you have some beauties there!
    I love the Webley Service MK2, my buddy has one of those in great condition.
    He didn't know what he had until I looked it up for him. The serial number dates it to pre war too.
    He has a really nice BSA Merlin underlever too, original box and manual, still wrapped in its original moisture repellent paper.
    I would really like an Original model 50, and a BSA Stutzen, two gorgeous guns.
    Oooh! The li'l boxed Merlin sound like a rarety in it's greased paper!!, I love the German Original 50 too, I also have a 35 and a couple of 45's but the 50 is my fave

BTW, The Mk2 Service Webbo's command good prices these days!!

These are three of my four 50's, The opther one is in bits! (Has been for a couple of years!!)

John..

Cool

Oh WOW!!!

Some stunning guns there GM!!

Love how they're displayed too

John

I may have missed it elsewhere, but do you have any history of that punt gun? It looks wonderful.

Journeyman
    Love the black powder pistols, I have a few and always enjoy shooting them, no matter how much of a pain to clean up!

Scottie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post
    Love the black powder pistols, I have a few and always enjoy shooting them, no matter how much of a pain to clean up!

Scottie
    Do you use black powder or substitute?

Journeyman
    I use strictly black, I know the susitutes are cleaner, but somehow I just dont seem right!!
    Usually get it from Krankys

Scottie

- - - Updated - - -

I use strictly black, I know the susitutes are cleaner, but somehow I just dont seem right!!

Scottie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie2345 View Post

Scottie

- - - Updated - - -

Scottie
    Oh ok, I must admit to being a fan of Pyrodex. But it's probably not that much cleaner, just not so tricky to store.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I may have missed it elsewhere, but do you have any history of that punt gun? It looks wonderful.
    i have no history for it before it was owned by my cousin who had it for 50yrs and used it up untill the ban on lead shot for wildfowling around 2002 .i bought it from him a couple of years back,i had lusted after it since i was a boy.i first saw it in the front room of my aunts fenland cottage.it was the only room big enought to keep it in.these are so very rare nowadays because their very size made them difficult to store .heres an extremely poor photo of a photo of the big gun in use with my cousin..
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 11th December 2017 at 09:50.

Master
    Oh WOW!!!

Some stunning guns there GM!!

Love how they're displayed too

John
    thanks John for your kind words,i believe we share a fascination for old guns.i am sad enough to look and enjoy them for hours.. i covet your webley mk1 service...its a cracker!
    Last edited by greasemonkey; 11th December 2017 at 10:06. Reason: sspelin

After a mate showed me this, I immediately thought of you, Ian.
    Quite a few similar videos on YouTube as well.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ3brjbg9V8

Sorry, unable to embed it on my phone!

Blog Entries
    ^^^
    Some great carving on there!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I like to watch a bit of hands on mechanicing, and I've been enjoying Elderlyiron on Youtube, recovering old trucks and getting them going. I like his sense of humour too . . .

https://www.youtube.com/user/ElderlyIron
    Some nice old iron on there!

i have no history for it before it was owned by my cousin who had it for 50yrs and used it up untill the ban on lead shot for wildfowling around 2002 .i bought it from him a couple of years back,i had lusted after it since i was a boy.i first saw it in the front room of my aunts fenland cottage.it was the only room big enought to keep it in.these are so very rare nowadays because their very size made them difficult to store .heres an extremely poor photo of a photo of the big gun in use with my cousin..
    Poor or not, what a wonderful photo - many thanks for posting.

Do you have any idea where it was taken?

Having grown up on the North Kent marshes the areas there and further North in Essex and East Anglia always strike me as ideal for punt gunning. I am sure I have a couple of books on punt gunning somewhere.

Sure you've seen these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2NUCJOYRE8 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwEwF7VAaEA

Also some interesting old punt guns here: http://mashable.com/2015/06/02/punt-gun/#oqAAGyv.tPqM

Lots more on YouTube
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 11th December 2017 at 13:05.