closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbelievable. I bought a Bremont

Master

Unbelievable. I bought a Bremont

Not a company I have ever admired, too much film flam and hype, seemingly endless dodgy 'limited editions.'
    But now I have bought one, slightly to my own surprise.
    I bought it for the simplicity and neat size, 40mm ; decent ETA based movement, known to be precise and reliable. Strong waterproofing. General lack of pretension.
    Saw it as I walked past a jewellers and was smitten. And managed a fair discount after a bit of vigorous debate,
    I hope Bremont do more with these simple, unpretentious, watches. And by the way, a small added attraction was that Supermarine Spitfires routinely fly over our garden from a nearby airfield.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by paskinner; 29th October 2017 at 16:49.

Master
    That’s some impulse buy! Enjoy it.

Craftsman
    Did the same a couple of years ago. saw one in a shop window, tried it on out of curiosity and was smitten. Great watch, great brand and have bought another couple of them since.

Craftsman
    The build and quality of Bremont watches is fantastic, my Tudor and Bremont are on par for sure. You'll enjoy the hardened case far more than you think, and the AR coating is the best I've seen!

Master
    I have the blue version of yours. Just about the first watch I've appreciated on a (Haveston) NATO:

I have had a few Bremonts, but the 40mm case is a big improvement (for me) and I can see this one hanging around.

Craftsman
    I was trying on a Bremont Solo yesterday in Chester... It was rather nice... might pull the trigger on one at some point.

Very nice, and easy to read. The lug shape looks great on and in real life, but looks very strange in tthe online renderings to me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Very nice, and easy to read. The lug shape looks great on and in real life, but looks very strange in tthe online renderings to me.
    Completely agree. The online renderings of the new 40mm case were a big disappointment, as they looked out of proportion to the case. Happily, in real life, it works.

I'm generally not a fan of their designs but I like that. It looks functional and handsome in a way that Omega divers always used to.

Looks good.

I never joined the supersize watch club and think that smaller, more compact designs are the way forward.

I bought a 40mm Damasko last year because it just fitted and felt right.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Good on you mate, I too have been inexplicably drawn to a Solo lately....

Journeyman
    Mmm lovely .. may consider one for my collection!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a fan of the super marine and airco. Those temple island straps are great too, I have one for my Alt 1zt.

Enjoy your new peice.
    Last edited by Middo; 29th October 2017 at 19:30.

I bought a BC-S2 a few years ago and still absolutely love it, it's a beautiful design and the case is superb - it's one I can't see myself ever selling.

I can see how many think the "marketing" is OTT and some of their watches do look as though the designer forget to stop designing, but their simpler dials like the MB's and Solo's are very classy in my opinion.

Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    I like it. Bremont get a hard time on the forums, sometimes rightly so, but you can’t get away from the fact that they do make some great looking, quality watches. This is definitely my favourite of their range at the moment. Pleased to hear that the lugs look fine in real life too!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don’t know, it does show the horrible case rendering

Craftsman
    That looks incredibly long lug-to-lug in the rendering. Hope that isn't reflective of reality

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jalebi View Post
    That looks incredibly long lug-to-lug in the rendering. Hope that isn't reflective of reality
    The picture suffers from the huge extending center link on the SEL, just like most Omegas. It's fine if you have a decent sized wrist, but terrible if you don't.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    The picture suffers from the huge extending center link on the SEL, just like most Omegas. It's fine if you have a decent sized wrist, but terrible if you don't.
    Cheers. It doesn't look so bad in the images I googled, but in that specific render it just looks odd.

Quality looking watch, I saw it in the Esquire Big Watch Book and thought...I really like that! Enjoy.

Like others, I've seen this watch and been a bit surprised it was a Bremont.

It seems well designed and classy

M.

Master
    All I can say is that the lugs seem just fine to me, quite unobtrusive on the wrist . To my eyes, rather more subtle than, say, the fat lugs on the ceramic Sub. They annoyed me so much I sold that watch .
    In the end, of course, you have to put a watch on your wrist and judge then. I doubt that many people would be bothered by the Bremont.

Any wrist shot?

I might try one on at the weekend.

Master
    Here we are.
    Photos do tend to distort.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Oddly enough, I have yet too see one of these on the used market. They have been out for a while now and either have not sold well or no one is flipping them.

What size wrist is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    Oddly enough, I have yet too see one of these on the used market. They have been out for a while now and either have not sold well or no one is flipping them.
    I think, for me at least, a Bremont purchase is a little more thoughtful. I wouldn't ever buy one if I was considering a possible future sale. So mine for example wouldn't be up for a flip. I'm not sure about other people, but I'm sure the buoyant used market of some brands plays a large part in those watches being sold more regularly - also, compared to Rolex/Omega there are very few Bremont watches being sold

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    What size wrist is that on?
    Shamefully, I don't know. Probably about 8inchs, I remove one link from a standard Rolex bracelet.
    Incidentally, the jeweller I bought from, says he has been doing well with Bremont, having only taken it on a few months ago. But yes, resale won't be like Rolex, what is! However, get a discount and you probably won't take a big hit if you chose a simple model.
    Most 'second tier' manufacturers seem to suffer equally.
    Last edited by paskinner; 30th October 2017 at 12:36.

Shhhh! You can always join Bremont Anonymous - recovery rates are quite good, I gather.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchIng View Post
    Shhhh! You can always join Bremont Anonymous - recovery rates are quite good, I gather.
    My private vice is Zenith; lovely chronometers, but goodness, do they take a hit on resale. Painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I've been doing the same kind of search and I suppose its because Bremont tend not to hold their value quite so well and if you've just bought for around £2,995 then you'd not want to crystalise that loss so soon?

Also whilst I do actually really like the watch its kind of inoffensive and therefore if you've gone to effort of buying new then there's unlikely to be anything about it that grates and makes you want to sell? Its not too big, not too heavy, standard kind of design, easy to tell the time, robust etc etc.

I'm really tempted and like the look of the blue faced one but would be targeting around £2500 max to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But yes, resale won't be like Rolex, what is! However, get a discount and you probably won't take a big hit if you chose a simple model. Most 'second tier' manufacturers seem to suffer equally.
    So on that note and if I can be so bold.......what kind of discount should we be looking to get on a model like this?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    So on that note and if I can be so bold.......what kind of discount should we be looking to get on a model like this?
    Bremont are pushing retailers hard to refuse discounts. But that won't hold . I got 10% after some, err, debate. I wouldn't have paid more . 'Mr Porter' is offering £250 off the £3000 retail and Jura are doing 12% I believe. Because of depreciation, a 10% discount seems fair, more would be better.
    Of course, if Bremont could consistently get retail, second hand prices would firm up. Swings and roundabouts.

Craftsman
    The rendering really doesn’t do it any favours does it! The blue faced model in particular is much more eye-catching in the flesh. A less ornate bracelet might suit the clean lines of the watch head as well?

Bremont are pushing retailers hard to refuse discounts. But that won't hold . I got 10% after some, err, debate. I wouldn't have paid more . 'Mr Porter' is offering £250 off the £3000 retail and Jura are doing 12% I believe. Because of depreciation, a 10% discount seems fair, more would be better.
    Of course, if Bremont could consistently get retail, second hand prices would firm up. Swings and roundabouts.
    Thanks , that's really helpful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Nice pick up.

I've always admired Bremont and almost bought a Solo before I bought my Panerai. Still contemplating a Bremont as a next purchase and I do still like the white faced Solo and the new vintage inspired S301.

My local AD always has a few in, so may try the newer smaller 40mm ones (although I cannot decide between Tudor or Omega either).

I visited the Mayfair Boutique when I almost bought the Solo, and found the store to be great, no movement on the price, but they were going to throw in 3 extra straps valued at around £500 if I went ahead.

I hear there customer service is second to none. If you can get a good deal and not a serial flipper, why not.

Craftsman
    I like it, but too similar to my Tudor BBN for me to get one. I quite like the look of the Model 1 though.

Just tried one on. Much smaller than I thought it would be. I'll possibly go for the Boeing 3 handed in Ti instead, as a much better size for me 😁

Master
    I understand the general dislike for the brand's marketing, but I think they make some beautiful watches! This one in particular, congratulations!

Blog Entries
    I confess to being a big Bremont fan but after owning a number of their models I realised that the 43 case size was just too much for me.

The 40mm is perfect and the Airco one is not too shabby either.

Last edited by MFB Scotland; 30th October 2017 at 21:19.

Shamefully, I don't know. Probably about 8inchs, I remove one link from a standard Rolex bracelet.
    I’d guesstimate maybe a little smaller but not much. I usually wear Rolex with a full size bracelet, and the Supermarine looked very small on my wrist - both the manager and assistant commented - that they were surprised I’d asked to try it on, and that it looked small on. I think my wrist is usually between 7.5 and 7.75.

Master
    All a matter of personal taste, but I think a 40mm watch looks more than big enough on my quite chunky wrist.
    Compare and contrast with the 40mm Daytona.
    Both seem quite large, certainly large enough for my taste.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I have the blue version of yours. Just about the first watch I've appreciated on a (Haveston) NATO:

I have had a few Bremonts, but the 40mm case is a big improvement (for me) and I can see this one hanging around.
    that’s stunning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All a matter of personal taste, but I think a 40mm watch looks more than big enough on my quite chunky wrist.
    Compare and contrast with the 40mm Daytona.
    Both seem quite large, certainly large enough for my taste.

I think it looks great on your wrist. Quite deceptive, as I often wear a white gold Daytona too, which looks a fair bit bigger on my wrist than the Supermarine. I did try it on the bracelet as well.

It’s nice to see another model in their lineup that will more than likely be there for quite some time.

Never seen these in the metal, but they look rather smart going by the photos. 40mm is such a sweet spot for sports watches/watches with bezels.

Craftsman
    One of the nice things about the Bremont brand is they are not yet another Swiss company. Some days I visit here and wonder if it is a watch forum or a Rolex fan website.

One of my problems is that I am very fussy when it comes to watch dial designs. I really prefer indices rather than numbers. I don't like 3,6,9,12 designs and worse still are chronographs were the sub-dials mean that numbers are cut away / partially there.

If I'm going to have Arabic numbers, I want the full set. 40mm cases are too small for me so that would rule out the S300 / S301 models

I find myself drawn to the MB11, white dial with orange case band.

I tried the Solo on last Saturday and it was a really nice watch and felt "right" on my wrist.... just not sure if the missing numerals at 3,6,9 would start to bug me... I do like the triangle at 12 though.

To my eye, the nicest numerical dial is the Model 1 white
    https://www.bremont.com/watch/model-...ss-steel/18361

Told you I'm a fussy sod ;-)

Very nice!

The Boeing Ti GMT is my current favourite in their range.

Master
    Still a few left in this "retirement" sale...

http://www.upchurchjewellers.co.uk/brands/bremont

Craftsman
    40mmis a good size for a lot of people.
    I confess to having been a bit put off in the past by some of the online comments on Bremont but I quite liked the Solo black when I saw one although I still thought it would seem a bit "chunky" on my skinny wrist.

Well done,OP,but you have over flights by Spitfires? Even better!