closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Leather hole punch

Leather hole punch

A friend with a nice new watch strap needs more holes. Going to a cobbler is obviously one option.

Leather hole punches are available at eBay, starting at very cheap. How expensive do they need to get before they'll do a good job?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A friend with a nice new watch strap needs more holes. Going to a cobbler is obviously one option.

Leather hole punches are available at eBay, starting at very cheap. How expensive do they need to get before they'll do a good job?
    I think this is like mine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Univer...MAAOSwYIxX4P7o

It works fine, but the number of times I've caught the skin of my fingers just behind the fulcrum! Agony, so watch your fingers.

I have the same, the cheapest one on eBay at the moment of purchase. Works just fine.

Cheap works fine but won't last but unless you are doing them all the time cheap is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers all :)

There was one tool I bought thinking, only going to need this a couple of times, and it wasn't even capable of that 😩

I got one of these. Having different sizes is handy. Works ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I got one of these. Having different sizes is handy. Works ok.
    Got one of those too. IME usually that type of tool doesn't have a small enough punch for a watch strap.

Mine was a fiver from eBay and works well.

4.99 in lidl this morning

I have a set of these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/prod...ther-punch-set

And also one of these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/prod...-leather-punch

Both do a good job, though the latter is better suited to thinner leather.

I will likely be in London next week as I have to pick up a visa, so could pass them over if that would help? Alternatively I can send them. Then just pop them back in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    I have a set of these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/prod...ther-punch-set

And also one of these: https://www.tandyleather.com/en/prod...-leather-punch

Both do a good job, though the latter is better suited to thinner leather.

I will likely be in London next week as I have to pick up a visa, so could pass them over if that would help? Alternatively I can send them. Then just pop them back in the post.
    That's a very kind offer, but my friend has announced that she's ordered a nice variable one from Amazon - and that once she's punched the one hole she needs doing, she'll be returning it!

I'm sure millions of people do this, and just as sure Amazon will live, but I'm shocked! Shocked! I would never have the guts to cheat the system like that 😟

Leather hole punch

That's a very kind offer, but my friend has announced that she's ordered a nice variable one from Amazon - and that once she's punched the one hole she needs doing, she'll be returning it!

I'm sure millions of people do this, and just as sure Amazon will live, but I'm shocked! Shocked! I would never have the guts to cheat the system like that
    Working with quite a few eCommerce retailers around the world I am sadly not shocked at all.

You might be surprised at what consumers will return, and in what state!

Screwfix finest at a tenner for me. Works just fine.

Mine was inexpensive- just a few pounds- and bought on Amazon. Unlike a straight punch mine operates somewhat like an Archimedes screwdriver with a rotating cutting action. It cuts perfectly clean holes even in thick leather. One of my great obsessive pleasures now is to order custom made straps supplied with no holes so that I can punch a single perfectly positioned hole.

Master

I'm sure millions of people do this, and just as sure Amazon will live, but I'm shocked! Shocked! I would never have the guts to cheat the system like that 
    Is it really worth the hassle to save a fiver?

Would you mind if I didn't ask her that?

Morning, resurrecting this thread as I need to put a hole in a strap. The current holes look to be 1.5mm and the tools recommended above seem to be 2mm minimum. It's a nice strap for a thin wrist so I'd rather keep the hole small. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGood View Post
    Morning, resurrecting this thread as I need to put a hole in a strap. The current holes look to be 1.5mm and the tools recommended above seem to be 2mm minimum. It's a nice strap for a thin wrist so I'd rather keep the hole small. Any recommendations? Thanks.
    This is the one I have. It comes with a selection of dies including some very small ones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Craftsman
    The problem with punching new holes in straps will always be that you are left with a strap that is somehow uneven and too long on one side. However, if you really have to punch a hole, always good to own a hole punch. :D