closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I don’t think I’ve ever found a cheaper way than buying sim free and paying for a cheap monthly sim.
    Ok, minimal initial outlay then.

Any good compared to a 7+ or 8+. I’m concerned my fat fingers would prefer the wider 8+, even though the X has a slightly bigger screen overall in figures.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    If you can’t or won’t spend upfront, then use a 0% credit card. These phones are expensive enough without shafting yourself in a contract.

Journeyman
    If you can’t or won’t spend upfront, then use a 0% credit card. These phones are expensive enough without shafting yourself in a contract.
    Just as well buying from Apple, as it's 0% on their replacement plan.

Master
    I always wait a bit following release and have found that my contracts are hundreds cheaper than a handset and comparable sim plan over 2 years. The contract prices for newly released phones are insane.

Master
    I don’t think I’ve ever found a cheaper way than buying sim free and paying for a cheap monthly sim.
    This is what I do. Three SIM to be exact. If you work out the loss you’ll take when selling a year later, and add it to the SIM cost/month, it’s not terrible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Any good compared to a 7+ or 8+. I’m concerned my fat fingers would prefer the wider 8+, even though the X has a slightly bigger screen overall in figures.
    Just go for it Scott. Best phone I’ve ever had. The software works very well and I find I make less auto correct mistakes for some reason on the X than I did on my 7 Plus.

I'm trying to decide whether to go caseless or not. I've used the X in an Apple leather case since I got it and really like the feel of it. I love the look of the glass and stainless steel though. I paid for AppleCare+ so have accidental damage insurance for 2 incidents so am thinking of going caseless, at least at home (I work from home). What are you guys doing?

Yesterday I got a Mophie wireless charging base from the Apple Store to go on my desk. I've never had wireless charging before so it's going to be interesting to see how well it works. So far so good and it means my phone is always fully charged during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I'm trying to decide whether to go caseless or not. I've used the X in an Apple leather case since I got it and really like the feel of it. I love the look of the glass and stainless steel though. I paid for AppleCare+ so have accidental damage insurance for 2 incidents so am thinking of going caseless, at least at home (I work from home). What are you guys doing?

Yesterday I got a Mophie wireless charging base from the Apple Store to go on my desk. I've never had wireless charging before so it's going to be interesting to see how well it works. So far so good and it means my phone is always fully charged during the day.
    I ordered a Spigen see through case for my iPhone X so you can still see the phone still but are still protected if you drop it, I find the phones very slippery in the hand without a case on them

http://www.spigen.co.uk/cell-phone/a...l#.WgLO9sZl-Uk

Question

Seem to have an issue with the X that I can't quite work out yet.......on incoming calls the ring volume is normal at first but after that initial ring tone it automatically mutes so it almost cannot be heard. Read on line it "might" be something to do with Face ID (theory I read was that if you're looking at the 'phone why would it need to ring as loudly as it first did.....) so I've turned that off but it's still happening and I'm missing calls as a result....

Anyone got any bright ideas or similar experience please?

If you’re paying attention to the phone, the ring tone will reduce in volume.

Blog Entries
    Always went SIM free for ages, but, the deal on Mobiles.co.uk I got In January just made too much sense to ignore…. About £200 up front and £20 a month for 3gb and all calls/ texts

I was paying £12 a month on giff gaff

Well I’ve gone and pulled the trigger, time to sell the trusty 6s...

Smile

Thanks Phil. Can that work with my Fiance too?

Yeah that caught me out, in the car the phone sits in a cradle and I thought the issue was with the BT volume haha

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Thanks Phil. Can that work with my Fiance too?

Certainly doesn’t work with the wife mki, if she carries on an upgrade maybe on the cards

I turned Siri to a female voice!

She’s now the only lady in my house hold that listens to me :)

Craftsman
    My wifes iPhone X lasted 1hr 26 mins before it broke, she is livid as she won't get a replacement until after we come back from holidays in December.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    My wifes iPhone X lasted 1hr 26 mins before it broke, she is livid as she won't get a replacement until after we come back from holidays in December.
    How did it break? Maybe I should look at applecare this time round

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear, but it reminded me of this rticle I read earlier today..

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20171108138777

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyl1000 View Post
    Sorry to hear, but it reminded me of this rticle I read earlier today..

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20171108138777
    I think that's called "forced humour" :-s

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    How did it break? Maybe I should look at applecare this time round

The screen just went black and she couldn't get the phone to turn on, even after plugging it in.

She had taken out the extra care package and after taking it back to the shop waited 2 hours while they tried to get it to work.

I think Apple should have replaced it the next day, especially considering she had bought the phone outright.

Master
    The screen just went black and she couldn't get the phone to turn on, even after plugging it in.

She had taken out the extra care package and after taking it back to the shop waited 2 hours while they tried to get it to work.

I think Apple should have replaced it the next day, especially considering she had bought the phone outright.
    Very strange indeed, have they completely ran out of stock then with no replacements to issue? Hopeful its sorted quickly

My wife’s also stopped working after a couple of days - screen became unresponsive.

I guess it happens, but we’re not very impressed that it’s going to be a couple of weeks for a replacement! I suppose they are in short supply, but it’s not very good customer service when you’re left without a phone for 2 weeks. Perhaps the rumours are correct that quality control is a bit lax to try and meet demand. It also appears that they’ve underestimated the contingency for replacing faulty units.

Having said that, I bought an iPad from John Lewis which developed a fault, and it took them over 4 weeks to sort it out, so I wouldn’t buy an Apple product from those jokers again.
    Last edited by robcat; 9th November 2017 at 08:06.

So basically, Apple has made a very expensive Tamagotchi. If you don’t notice the ever-louder ringing it will start sulking, become passive-aggressive and eventually die from a crippling depression.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    So basically, Apple has made a very expensive Tamagotchi. If you don’t notice the ever-louder ringing it will start sulking, become passive-aggressive and eventually die from a crippling depression.
    By "paying attention" I mean actively using the phone as checked by FaceID. Apple have programmed the OS so that it will dim the screen after a short space of time if you're not looking at it. If you are, it will keep the screen active until you stop looking at it. The same goes for the ring tone. If you are actively using the phone as tracked by FaceID, it will reduce the ring tone volume because you will see the incoming call screen. If you are not using the phone, the ring tone will be louder.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    :-)

Just setting mine up now, very very slick and the screen is something else...
    Now deciding whether to get apple care for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Just setting mine up now, very very slick and the screen is something else...
    Now deciding whether to get apple care for it...
    From the Apple support site:

iPhone model Screen repair only Other damage
    iPhone X £ 286.44 £ 556.44

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipho...ervice/pricing

AppleCare+ is £199 for 2 years including 2 accidents with an excess of £25 for a screen repair and £79 for other repairs. If you have 1 claim, the insurance pays for itself.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ipho...ervice/pricing

AppleCare+ is £199 for 2 years including 2 accidents with an excess of £25 for a screen repair and £79 for other repairs. If you have 1 claim, the insurance pays for itself.
    Isn't insurance usually like this? If you don't have an accident it's cost you £199.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Isn't insurance usually like this? If you don't have an accident it's cost you £199.
    With previous iPhones, the repair costs were a lot less. The design of the X means the back repair is difficult.

Master

Yet another reason not to buy the ridiculously overpriced thing.
    I’ve had iPhones for years but I think Apple have really lost the plot lately.
    I’m happy with my 7 plus, but if I were in the market to replace it, I’d be going for the Galaxy S8 rather than any of Apple’s current line up.

Craftsman
    My wife and I were due an upgrade, so have both ordered the X. We are going from a 6's to X.

Hers has arrived, mine hasn't.
    To be honest, I am not so sure I am keen, now that I have played with one. Not having the home button actually seems to create loads more faff when switching between apps or trying to close them. Maybe its just different and will take a bit of time to get used to, only time will tell.

You switch between apps with a side swipe on the home indicator. I find app switching is a lot faster with the X.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    My wife and I were due an upgrade, so have both ordered the X. We are going from a 6's to X.

Hers has arrived, mine hasn't.
    To be honest, I am not so sure I am keen, now that I have played with one. Not having the home button actually seems to create loads more faff when switching between apps or trying to close them. Maybe its just different and will take a bit of time to get used to, only time will tell.
    I got used to the lack of home button very quickly and there's no way I'd want a home button ever again now. Much more intuitive; I use my phone a lot for work so anything that saves me time and messing is appreciated.

Don’t miss the home button whatsoever and tbh it’s a super slick phone...

Glad I held off on the 7 and the 8 for this one...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to getting mine as I really have no idea what to expect for a change!!

I’d agree that you don’t really miss the home button, and the alternative ways of app switching are probably quicker and more intuitive (once you get used to them).

It does make going from an iPad (or other touchid device) to iPhone a little more tricky. You can use some (or similar) new gestures on iPads since iOS 11, but they’re not quite the same. It would make sense to make them as similar as possible, giving us the option of using new style or old style gestures. To be fair, they have sort-of done this, but I’d like to see it better implemented.

Craftsman
    Hopefully you are right and the home button stuff will make more sense once I have my new phone and am forced to use the new ways.

IOS 11 made my iPhone 6 run like a real dog. Which annoyed me to the point of considering moving to Andriod. I have never had or used an andriod, which is why I have avoided them as it seems like a lot of re-education. My path was Blackberry to iPhone and nothing else.

Blog Entries
    Apparently the screen width on the X is narrower than the 7+ or 6+ albeit taller. I think I’ll be waiting for next years X+

Worrying that some have bricked in such a small sample size of this forum.

(I’m really just jealous - hope you new owners really enjoy them)

Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Apparently the screen width on the X is narrower than the 7+ or 6+ albeit taller. I think I’ll be waiting for next years X+

Worrying that some have bricked in such a small sample size of this forum.

(I’m really just jealous - hope you new owners really enjoy them)

Martyn.
    I prefer the smaller size of the X to the Plus I’ve had for the last 3 phones. It’s great to be able to put my phone in my front pocket again. I did side by side comparisons with the Plus before I sold it and there was very little difference with what was on screen.

Just as well buying from Apple, as it's 0% on their replacement plan.
    It doesn't appear to be available on that plan though, only options I've seen are the PayPal or Barclays finance, at around 15% APR.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    It doesn't appear to be available on that plan though, only options I've seen are the PayPal or Barclays finance, at around 15% APR.
    What about PayPal credit? 0% interest for 4 months if that helps spread the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    What about PayPal credit? 0% interest for 4 months if that helps spread the cost?
    Cheers, should be fine once work pay me my expenses - I'm about £1k out of pocket at the moment, roll on Wednesday!

Master
    Mine has shipped from Apple today, so it's going be here on Monday. I've had my 6 since it was launched three years ago and have been waiting for something that would make the upgrade worthwhile. I think the X is different enough so bought one. Looking forward to getting it!

Purchas d apple care for this today, have to say people I’m eating my words this phone is worth the upgrade from a 6s to this...

Master
    This is killing me reading about everyone with my phone still showing 3 weeks before delivery, I knew I should have preordered. I’m glad it’s mostly well received though and yes I think I’ll take the AppleCare for mine too.

Anyone want a grey 256gb ? I’ve ordered too many for pickup.

Anyone want a grey 256gb ? I’ve ordered too many for pickup.
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...0-WTB-iPhone-X

Thanks KS. I’ve sent him a PM so hopefully can help.

I ordered a grey and silver in Edinburgh and my partner ordered me a grey in Glasgow. All to be picked up today haha. I’ll only need one!