closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

I had a quick play with one in a ‘phone shop today. On that basis, I’ll be spending £1.2k soon.

Blog Entries
    I had a play with the X in John Lewis today. Struggling NOT to like it, except I could buy a MacBook for the same money.

Wow just can't believe people are prepared to pay this for a phone, like someone said you could get a MacBook for the price...

And this from someone who always has iPhones...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Wow just can't believe people are prepared to pay this for a phone, like someone said you could get a MacBook for the price...

And this from someone who always has iPhones...
    Most people I know think £500 is an expensive watch.......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Most people I know think £500 is an expensive watch.......

Average selling price of watches in the UK is about £90... £500 is getting into very serious money!

£1200 is obviously a lot for a ‘phone. But, in the last year, I have used my iPhone for internet stuff a lot more than my old MacBook Pro. And £1200 is a lot less than the £2500 that it would cost to replace my MacBook Pro.

At least, that’s how my man maths has been working.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Resale value on Apple stuff is superb also!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I had a play with the X in John Lewis today. Struggling NOT to like it, except I could buy a MacBook for the same money.
    I feel this will be my issue too?!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Prices have always been a premium for Apple products, but given the upwards curve and the fact that a 8 plus would cost you £949, is the magic glass ceiling of 1k just too much to stomach for some people? Personally I would be happy to pay the extra £200 for the x over the 8 plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_li30 View Post
    Prices have always been a premium for Apple products, but given the upwards curve and the fact that a 8 plus would cost you £949, is the magic glass ceiling of 1k just too much to stomach for some people? Personally I would be happy to pay the extra £200 for the x over the 8 plus.
    Yep they do hold their value, I tried one out and the size is great in the hand, if I do pull the trigger I’ll grab one of gumtree once the contracts flood the market.
    Just seen a 256GB X just sell on eBay for £950...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 5th November 2017 at 09:26.

Blog Entries
    Bought a SE earlier this year after my 5s had an accident.
    Don’t think I want to go physically any bigger than that really.
    I know people use phones for a lot more than just calls but I like to be able to carry easily.

FWIW, the X is only a fraction bigger than the 6s, but the screen size is much bigger.

However, if you like the 5, that will probably be too big for you.

Master
    I’ve had mine for a day or so now. It’s by far the best phone I’ve ever owned. Before buying it, I was thinking I’ll play around with it and return it to the store, but as soon as I removed it from the box, that changed. Being made of steel, it instantly reminded me of the Nokia 8800 series phones I owned when I was younger. Back then, they’d cost around £800 so in comparison, the IPhone X is a lot of phone for similar money.

The size is great, screen very high quality, camera really a big upgrade, battery good up to now, notch doesn’t interfere as reviewers say and it’s a phone I’d consider without a case for the first time, as it’s such a lovely thing. I should add, the best thing to change is the home button removal! Using an upwards flick is so much simpler, and the face recognition is superb. When reviewers make out they’re struggling with it, I’m sure it’s just extreme lighting conditions, or they’ve just restarted, which, like Touch ID phones requires the passcode the first time afterwards.

I’m now of the opinion that the 8 plus 256gb is the “saw them coming” phone. Sure, it’s £200 or so cheaper than the X, but if you’ve spent £950 to get a slight upgrade on the brilliant 6S/7 series, you may as well spend a bit extra and get an entirely new device.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 5th November 2017 at 09:54.

Craftsman
    I’m looking to get one.
    I can’t decide on which colour variation however.
    Any opinions..?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chopper View Post
    I’m looking to get one.
    Any opinions..?
    From the front, both look similar anyway as they have a black bezel around the screen. The white looks more grey on the back.

I’m looking to get one.
    Any opinions..?
    Thet’re Both the same on the front (for once), so, do you want a black or white one?

I went for white, but you can get thin sleeves in multiple colours, so you can change it to suit your mood.

I went for the silver one after years of space grey. I wanted a change and love the stainless steel band around it. It is very reminiscent of an original iPod. I went for space grey because of the black bezel. Now both colours have black bezels it means I can happily switch.

I’ve not been brave enough to use it outside of the case yet. I’m worried about the back glass smashing, even though I’ve never broken a phone screen and do have AppleCare+.

FaceID has worked almost every time for me. The only time it didn’t work was when I was lying on my side in bed. It only works in portrait mode and needs tone more than 10” away. I had the phone a little close. Now that I know how far to hold it I can get it to work all the time.

App switching is really quick. I think multitasking on the iPad Pro has trained me to use the gestures already.

I don’t notice the notch now. I miss the up swipe for control centre but can get at it one handed after I enabled Reachability in the Accessibility settings.

My partner has a white/silver one and it is rather nice. I’m tempted.

Craftsman
    I think I’m edging toward the siver edged version or else it will be very similar to my current 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I went for the silver one after years of space grey. I wanted a change and love the stainless steel band around it. It is very reminiscent of an original iPod. I went for space grey because of the black bezel. Now both colours have black bezels it means I can happily switch.

I’ve not been brave enough to use it outside of the case yet. I’m worried about the back glass smashing, even though I’ve never broken a phone screen and do have AppleCare+.

FaceID has worked almost every time for me. The only time it didn’t work was when I was lying on my side in bed. It only works in portrait mode and needs tone more than 10” away. I had the phone a little close. Now that I know how far to hold it I can get it to work all the time.

App switching is really quick. I think multitasking on the iPad Pro has trained me to use the gestures already.

I don’t notice the notch now. I miss the up swipe for control centre but can get at it one handed after I enabled Reachability in the Accessibility settings.

I’m of similar opinion and after being out all day yesterday at Salon QP taking pics and generally researching stuff I’ve found the step up from my 7 it’s been the best all in one go upgrade I’ve had from an iPhone.

My main gripe was the swipe up moving to swip down for the right hand corner which is near impossible with one handed left hand operation.

Lee:
    Am I right in thinking then with accessibility switch in a swipe down gets the screen to drop and then I have to swipe down the right hand side? Bit a faff making requiring two swipes as it used to be great for quick camera access.
    Last edited by pitbull666; 5th November 2017 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    My main gripe was the swipe up moving to swip down for the right hand corner which is near impossible with one handed left hand operation.
    Switch on Reachability. You can then swipe down on the home indicator to bring the interface down so you can swipe down Control Centre from the middle right instead of the top right.

Craftsman
    Another thing to consider would be the storage options.
    Is 64gb enough based on the size required for the iOS software and the now 4K video...

Switch on Reachability. You can then swipe down on the home indicator to bring the interface down so you can swipe down Control Centre from the middle right instead of the top right.
    Beat me too it, thanks

Another thing to consider would be the storage options.
    Is 64gb enough based on the size required for the iOS software and the now 4K video...
    When spending 1k on a phone for the sake of £150 I purchased the 256GB just in case!

Has to be 256gb.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed has to be 256gb really at those price differences.

Rather naughty of Apple not to offer a 128gb. They know damn well most people will go for the top model
    Last edited by kultschar; 5th November 2017 at 16:06.

Master

I went for silver after years of grey too. The stell band looks great but will no doubt pick up loads of scratches. I’m happy with the phone, yes it’s expemsive but I use my phone more than I use my iPad and MacBook so it’s worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Apparently John Lewis on line have 11,000 units for sale from 8am this morning......shame their website crashed the precise second they opened for ordering at 8am.

Pathetic in this day and age that a major retailer cannot be prepared for this.
    What's the point in investing in the infrastructure to deal with this level of demand comfortably when for the rest of the year demand is nowhere near this level?

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    What's the point in investing in the infrastructure to deal with this level of demand comfortably when for the rest of the year demand is nowhere near this level?
    The issue is that they want to run with volume - either they sort it so they can or not bother?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I’ll likely upgrade at some point once the rush has died down tempted to wait for the Xs, my 6s has been great and no real issues but I skipped the 7 and 8 sooooo, yes I’m trying to convince myself

This is why AWS exists.

Blog Entries
    They don't need to - use elastic cloud - designed to expand with demand then reduce back when not needed - investing in physical infrastructure is becoming less of an issue for more and more companies these days.

Back on topic: Even though I love the X - I am ok with my 7+ (for now) and with the iOS 11.1 the battery life is back to normal (after 11.0.3 was draining horribly).

Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    The issue is that they want to run with volume - either they sort it so they can or not bother?
    Not bother would be much guess, they'll sell all the units regardless, so why bother?

Anyone regretting getting one yet, torn between one or get an 8 off gumtree for about £450...

Anyone regretting getting one yet, torn between one or get an 8 off gumtree for about £450...
    In terms of value for money, if you can get an 8 for £450 (which seems very cheap), it’s no-brainier - but that’s not really what it’s about.

If I’m being picky, the OLED screen isn’t that much better than Apple’s IPS displays. This is partly because the IPSs are very good, esp the newer HDR ones. It’s also the fact that although the contrast and black levels are superb, the viewing angles are not (which is meant to be a strength of OLED) - there’s a noticeable colour shift as you move the screen. It’s not normally an issue with a phone, which tends to be viewed straight on.

That is pretty much my only criticism of the X though. The extra screen space is the major plus for me. The regular size iPhone looks oddly small now.

One of this years funniest threads as people go from
    ''cant see the point'', to convincing themselves that spending £1200. on a new phone makes perfect sense.

Last edited by number2; 7th November 2017 at 08:35.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    ''cant see the point'', to convincing themselves that spending £1200. on a new phone makes perfect sense.

One again, mission accomplished for Apple.

It goes as far as that Apple clients are considered easy prey for other webshops and are shown higher prices and more expensive options compared to Windows and Android users.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...88822667325882
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    One again, mission accomplished for Apple.

It goes as far as that Apple clients are considered easy prey for other webshops and are shown higher prices and more expensive options compared to Windows and Android users.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...88822667325882
    Premium customers, ''living the dream''.

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I know I know...

Master
    Premium customers, ''living the dream''.

I know I know...
    I know, it’s like somebody spending thousands of pounds on watches. Mugs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I know, it’s like somebody spending thousands of pounds on watches. Mugs.
    Can’t understand it myself.

Anyway, I ended up getting a top of the range DSLR for the price of an iPhone X. Photography can be another area for extracting the cash.

Master
    Can’t understand it myself.

Anyway, I ended up getting a top of the range DSLR for the price of an iPhone X. Photography can be another area for extracting the cash.
    Cameras have gone mental. Doubt you’d get top of the range for that, but you’d get something nice. The IPhone X camera proved superb this weekend for a bit of a break I was on. Left all my camera equipment back at the hotel and took my phone with me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Cameras have gone mental. Doubt you’d get top of the range for that, but you’d get something nice. The IPhone X camera proved superb this weekend for a bit of a break I was on. Left all my camera equipment back at the hotel and took my phone with me.
    Actually went for lightly used second hand D810, but totally agree that a phone camera is so convenient for most situations. I am getting good pictures from the iPhone 7 + which is now my goto for ‘snaps’.

Master
    Actually went for lightly used second hand D810, but totally agree that a phone camera is so convenient for most situations. I am getting good pictures from the iPhone 7 + which is now my goto for ‘snaps’.
    Great choice with the D810! Will look forward to seeing your photos.

Master
    Anyone know where they have them in stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Anyone know where they have them in stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-iphone-x

No where by the looks of it...

Master
    I crumbled like a hobnob biscuit in the washing machine iPhone X ordered 3-4 weeks for delivery :(

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine just got dispatched by Apple 5 days ahead of schedule :)

Journeyman
    Any decent deals to be had?

Sim free is too expensive. So, either contract, or Apple Replacement Programme with a sim only deal.

I don’t think I’ve ever found a cheaper way than buying sim free and paying for a cheap monthly sim.