closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    The same place as on almost every other phone. Above the screen.
    But the screen goes to the top?

Anyway mute point IMO

iPhone 7

iPhone X

Master
    Blog Entries
    The same place as on almost every other phone. Above the screen.
    It is at the top lol. Its all screen

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    It is at the top lol. Its all screen
    And the photo above highlights what a stupid design decision it was. Looks awful.

And the photo above highlights what a stupid design decision it was. Looks awful.
    Each to thier own I guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Each to thier own I guess :)
    To be fair that would genuinely wind me up.

Would get used to it but it does spoil the viewing.

Banned
    Could you post a shot viewing in landscape mode please?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    But the screen goes to the top?

Anyway mute point IMO

iPhone 7

iPhone X
    That picture says it all that design is just laughable I am amazed that a company like Apple who do some great design have allowed that to be launched!!!!!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I agree it looks odd but I don’t see how else they could have put the tech in.

Maybe a small bar across the top instead of a notch, however I guess would give less screen estate and prob harder for Apple to twist the “all screen” marketing speel.

Are you getting used to the swipe / no home button yet Pitbull?

I see Apple have edged closer this morning to being a trillion dollar company. Hype / marketing doing the trick!

Master

Maybe a small bar across the top instead of a notch, however I guess would give less screen estate and prob harder for Apple to twist the “all screen” marketing speel.

I see Apple have edged closer this morning to being a trillion dollar company. Hype / marketing doing the trick!
    By not having all screen. Bezels serve a very useful purpose for something designed for media consumption. It's especially silly when they make that kind of compromise for something that isn't all screen anyway. And I'm not simply being anti apple, the new android phone with such a notch is equally daft.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Could you post a shot viewing in landscape mode please?
    Can do later I’m out now and my other phones at home.

It doesn’t cut into whatever you are viewing, the viewing section just goes up to the notch.

After the initial annoyance (not with the phone but habit)

It’s a little more fluid moving between open apps etc, you kind of swipe up and flick across and you are in the previous app.

Face rec has been faultless so far and for stuff like my banking app it’s great as it just opens like a normal app and works off axis maybe 30-35 degrees off.

Grand Master
    I wonder if they'll get cheaper if the competition can ever come up with a similar level of tech......

I’m reading this on my iPhone 7 and never think ‘aaagh I hate the ugly bezel round my phone’ - this is one of those so called solutions for a problem that doesn’t exist. Change for the sake of it. The user experience between the 7,8 and X will be minimal once you’re over the honeymoon period of whichever model you buy won’t it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m reading this on my iPhone 7 and never think ‘aaagh I hate the ugly bezel round my phone’ - this is one of those so called solutions for a problem that doesn’t exist. Change for the sake of it. The user experience between the 7,8 and X will be minimal once you’re over the honeymoon period of whichever model you buy won’t it?!

I would say its more appealing for people with the Plus who wants similar screen estate in a regular iPhone size. As a Plus user I can relate to this

Blog Entries
    I phone 6 here. No intention to upgrade. I ADDED a Spigen bezel to my current phone: buying a sturdy cover & edge to protect my phone and screen. So, for me it doesn't matter if there's a factory fitted bezel (or not) around my iPhone.

Menno

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    I wonder if they'll get cheaper if the competition can ever come up with a similar level of tech......
    Competitors will prob just raise prices also

Master
    Blog Entries
    This is one thing I never considered and something I often do:

"You can’t unlock your phone without looking at it, so say goodbye to stealthily texting under the tablet"

I would say its more appealing for people with the Plus who wants similar screen estate in a regular iPhone size. As a Plus user I can relate to this
    This is it. An 8 plus is too big for me, but a X has almost as much screen space in a package not much bigger than the 8.

They’ll all be putting notches in their next models ;-)

This is one thing I never considered and something I often do:

"You can’t unlock your phone without looking at it, so say goodbye to stealthily texting under the tablet"
    You can still unlock with a code and it does work off axis!

In the setting you can also select if you want it to check it you are looking opposed to just facing it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    This is it. An 8 plus is too big for me, but a X has almost as much screen space in a package not much bigger than the 8.

They’ll all be putting notches in their next models ;-)
    Apple are the ones late to the party on this one ;) (again)

Do you use Apple Pay and if so how does it work, as I usually just grab my phone out of a pocket and finger print holding it up at the terminal ?

Banned
    Can’t remember seeing any queues when Samsung or any of the other android phones were launched, but so many of their owners seem to have a hatred for Apple. It’s like when you buy a Christopher Ward, you know it’ll work and it was within your budget, but it’s just not what you really wanted. Awww.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Its the same every year, but seeing the clapping hordes enter stores to the cult like countdown just makes me shudder and sad for society.

And I'm an Apple user
    Yes, I’m an Apple user/fanboy/sheep (depending on your viewpoint/allegiance), but I find the hysteria pretty tragic - it’s become sort of how people are expected to act, so people do (like the exaggerated public grief following the death of a celebrity).

I made the mistake of watching the keynote in September, and the first half of it was the very worst kind of mawkish American syrupy nonsense - you’d have thought they were achieving world peace, curing cancer and feeding the world, rather than selling expensive electronic toys to the world’s most affluent few percent. How they say that sort of stuff with a straight face is beyond me.

Grand Master
    Can’t remember seeing any queues when Samsung or any of the other android phones were launched, but so many of their owners seem to have a hatred for Apple. It’s like when you buy a Christopher Ward, you know it’ll work and it was within your budget, but it’s just not what you really wanted. Awww.

I think it's the same feeling a lot of apple users have, just too many sycophants around when these things get released, there is nothing new here, but you'd think it was a whole new level of technology being released. It doesn't help that reviewers seem to only be focused on two or three features, and giving it 9s and 10s for that, without a single mention of the negatives of iphones, such as the dreadful itunes and so on.

Next upgrade i think i might move over to a samsung, although saying that they're becoming just as expensive, although without the fanfair at release.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The technology of the Face ID is pretty impressive in a geeky way. Projecting 30,000 dots on your face to map it for security and fancy apps etc

Samsung users claim face ID is nothing new but theirs is simply image recognition and I believe in one case a photo tricked it since basic tech
    Last edited by kultschar; 3rd November 2017 at 16:03.

The Apple users help flame that fire with such silly comments.

Master
    Face ID is clever, but not that clever. Someone already tried using the iPhone X on twins...

Banned
    The Apple users help flame that fire with such silly comments.
    It’s all silly when you can buy a phone for a tenner. Some folk need to grow up.

Master
    It’s all silly when you can buy a phone for a tenner. Some folk need to grow up.
    Function is only part of the motivation to own. If you’ve not realised that since you joined here, you’re not taking anything in. Phone, watch, car, in fact most material things.

they sure do....

It’s like when you buy a Christopher Ward, you know it’ll work and it was within your budget, but it’s just not what you really wanted. Awww.

Banned
    Function is only part of the motivation to own. If you’ve not realised that since you joined here, you’re not taking anything in. Phone, watch, car, in fact most material things.
    Haha a line I’ve recently used. My comment relating to cheaper products available was to make a point, hw can anyone say any comment in this thread is silly. It’s all silly. We discuss it daily in respect of watches. Whilst there is choice, we are all free to make our own.

Banned
    they sure do....
    Apologies. I hope you enjoy polishing your CW. The only thing I buy from the Sunday supplement are seeds for the garden. That said, I may apply for lif Insurance this weekend and get the free pen. Will it be Montblanc? Oh well, I can start a post when it comes can’t I.

Apologies. I hope you enjoy polishing your CW. The only thing I buy from the Sunday supplement are seeds for the garden. That said, I may apply for lif Insurance this weekend and get the free pen. Will it be Montblanc? Oh well, I can start a post when it comes can’t I.
    Completely lost me.

As you were

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Face ID is clever, but not that clever. Someone already tried using the iPhone X on twins...
    Luckily for me I dont have a identical twin so sure my security is safe lol

Back in stock at John Lewis if anyone wants one

Back in stock at John Lewis if anyone wants one
    Not anymore

For apps optimised to the screen size below 'the notch' it's not as bad from the reviews i've seen - not sure why they didn't just end the screen there anyway.

Still won't be getting one. My 7 works just fine for now.

Master
    sticking with my 6s+, the extra £55 in my pocket is nice (after switching to a £14 12 month contract sim only) and having a phone that doesn't look like it's got a big tooth gap is ok but my main concern is the lack of touch ID and a home button. I'm yet to be convinced that face ID and swipe up for home are comfortable alternatives (although i'm open to the possibility they might be) I just don;t want to be their beta tester which is what this new way of operating feels like.
    I want to see some reviews, and see what ****gate controversy is going to hit the X, then i'll probably wait for next years XI and upgrade then.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I bet you next year will be the same phone with just a incremental speed bump. Apple drip feeds innovation nowadays so it will be basically a iPhone Xs, milking as much out the same design.

Hence why I just bit the bullet as I have not upgraded in 3 years and my 6 Plus is struggling since iOS11

Re that notch and those saying they can't see how it could be done without it.....

Samsung managed it. The notch just looks so awkward, I'm amazed Apple allowed it. Samsungs version is so much more aesthetically pleasing.

Also...what happens when you watch a movie in landscape? Please don't say that there's a notch on the side??

For the record - I'm an apple fanboy. I've had nearly every one since the 3 and wouldn't be without one. But the notch sucks.

Samsung Galaxy S8
    Last edited by mr noble; 3rd November 2017 at 18:48.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Re that notch and those saying they can't see how it could be done without it.....

Samsung managed it. The notch just looks so awkward, I'm amazed Apple allowed it. Samsungs version is so much more aesthetically pleasing.

Also...what happens when you watch a movie in landscape? Please don't say that there's a notch on the side??

For the record - I'm an apple fanboy. I've had nearly every one since the 3 and wouldn't be without one. But the notch sucks.

Samsung Galaxy S8
    I believe the app fills in the other sides of the notch when in landscape hence it will look kinda like the samsung pic you posted. However the bars will be black pixels so it does not have unusable bezel when in portrait mode
    Last edited by kultschar; 3rd November 2017 at 18:57.

Master
    Quite fancy one of these but can't find anywhere with stock.......

Managed to get one by calling John Lewis this morning onthe telephone (who would have thought it?!?!?) and will collect it from the local Waitrose tomorrow afternoon.

Bought a few accessories from Amazon too so will good to go at some point over the weekend.

Ditto, massively struggling with the 6 plus on iOS11. Might have to take a plunge and order soon

I bet you next year will be the same phone with just a incremental speed bump. Apple drip feeds innovation nowadays so it will be basically a iPhone Xs, milking as much out the same design.

Hence why I just bit the bullet as I have not upgraded in 3 years and my 6 Plus is struggling since iOS11

Mine was delivered @ 9.30am this morning, unboxed and it won’t work, first Apple product I’ve owned in nearly 20 years that has let me down and it’s tge same cost as a MacBook!

What's wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Mine was delivered @ 9.30am this morning, unboxed and it won’t work, first Apple product I’ve owned in nearly 20 years that has let me down and it’s tge same cost as a MacBook!

Won’t accept my sim, it’s a business upgrade from EE and I’ve tried all my sales staff’s sims, none work.

A replacement is arriving tomorrow apparently.

The phone looks and feels very high end though, similar weight and feel to a Virtu, but it’s faulty!

Got mine yesterday pm, and pretty impressed so far.

The faceid (and lack of home button) seems to work pretty well, and is quite intuitive - it would be a rare own-goal from Apple if they hadn’t thought the system through. I’d go as far as saying that faceid is almost seamless most of the time, and in a lot of ways better than touchid. The only times it hasn’t unlocked immediately was in low light. The swiping up instead of pressing the home button does seem a little strange at first.

The notch is a non-issue, although some apps haven’t been adapted to the screen layout yet.