closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    But it's that 10% that makes Apple, Apple. That 10% is the difference between brilliant and exceptional, the difference between like it, or love it. Sometimes people don't want the 90% experience, they want the full 100% and that's fine, choice is a good thing.

My (£2500) 17" Macbook Pro from around 2010 is still working brilliantly, it still out performs many current laptops you can buy in PC World today.
    my £600 Vaio from 2005 is working brilliantly too. I'm on it now.

I have upgraded the operating system and replaced the battery for about £20. I can chose what upgrades go on it and thus it never slows down.

Why is Apple pricing Alternative+30% minimum, and the end user access is Alternative-30% ?

You buy it, but you're not allowed to use it fully. It's technological advances, but withheld from you...

all rhetorical, Horses for Courses, no offense or insult meant.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

My (£2500) 17" Macbook Pro from around 2010 is still working brilliantly, it still out performs many current laptops you can buy in PC World today.
    Problem with this analogy (that many people make) is that you are comparing a £2500 machine with some costing £400... Splash out £2500 on a windows laptop and see how that performs over the years.

Blog Entries
    I personally think a grand is the psychological ‘wall’ for a phone and at that price I expect it to be top specced, not with a cheeseparing 64GB. Improved models are now coming out with uninteresting frequency and minimally interesting improvements and for that reason I am perfectly happy to stick with my 128GB 6+ which I am very pleased with.

I might look again when the iPhone 17 comes out but only if it does toast the way I like it done and can message me a warning when SWMBO is getting a monk on over some unnoticed behavioural transgression of mine.
    Last edited by KavKav; 27th October 2017 at 06:38.

Red face

I'm waiting until the IPhone XI comes out. The '8' is really just a '7s' and I think it's likely that in a couple of years Apple will only offer the 'X' generation models.

The current X is likely to have a few bugs and usability issues that Apple will no doubt sort out in due course. Facial recognition is a bit of a gimmick - a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Also the X dimensions looks a bit wrong to me - slightly too 'long'.

Until then, my 7-plus 128gb on a £20/mth contract will do me just fine. Who knows, is a couple of years I may even switch to Android as a lot of my Apps now don't work since IOS 11 and need updating by the developers!

Well, that's the decision made for me. I went online a few minutes ago as the pre-order was supposed to open at 08:01 BST. It was not available until around 08:10 and on going through the process (although I hadn't actually decided whether to purchase or not) for a Space Grey 256GB the delivery date was between 13 and 20 Nov, not the originally stated 3 Nov. I'll be out of the country during that delivery window so I'll definitely wait and see how facial recognition is incorporated by the major app developers.

I went through via the Apple store app at 8:01 and ordered the 256gb SG for delivery on the 3rd so some were available.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used the app and kept refreshing etc with the phone already tagged as a favourite for quick checkout but only managed to get the 2-3 week delivery. I guess not many units first week delivery.

Surprisingly it was a fast and smooth checkout - was expecting loading problems, crashes etc due to heavy traffic

Noticed at 08:37 the site is giving 4-5 week delivery, not quite the be quick or will be 2018 rumours. Guess manufacturing and availability not as bad as some feared or less orders then expected (prob unlikely)
    Last edited by kultschar; 27th October 2017 at 08:42.

Craftsman
    I've recently made the switch from a 6 to an 8+. To be honest the only reason I upgraded was because the wifi in my 6 barely worked (had to be close to the router) and the GPS was useless - just showed a massive circle on the map. Had my 6 been fully functional I probably wouldn't have upgraded but I am please that I have done so.

I like the larger screen size of the 8+, the battery is much better than the 6 (which I had replaced) and the camera is superb. I just couldn't justify the cost of X over the 8+ as I couldn't really work out what differentiated it other than the lack of button and the face ID thingy.

I also just think of the 8 as a 7s and only upgraded as I always go for the S models, I really wanted to like the x but I can’t see facial recognition working, I think for the next model it will be back to fingerprint through the front screen, I use Apple pay for everything and can’t see how you will need to hold the phone up to do the facial recognition every time you pay, or am I wrong

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    I went through via the Apple store app at 8:01 and ordered the 256gb SG for delivery on the 3rd so some were available.
    There was the inevitable delay then feeding-frenzy at about 8:10. The delivery time was 2-3 weeks by the time I got onto the checkout page, so opted to collect from the local store on the 3rd. It then soon went to 4-5 weeks and none available for collection.

I guess this is typical for a new iPhone. I suspect it’ll be tricky to get one for a bit (unless you’re prepared to queue up at the stores), but supply will loosen up pretty quickly after that.

Journeyman
    I was all planning to keep my 6s and not upgrade, and then it died in an Italian rain storm, so now thinking of upgrading as the 5s I’m back to is just not good enough. I fancy the x (on the apple upgrade scheme thing) but do have concerns over the first gen of face recognition. Maybe I’ll wait a few months until they come out with their iPhone X.1 which will have some minor upgrades to components, as iPhones always do.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The lead time seems to have plateaued at 5-6 weeks now, I guess indicating that they’re going to become relatively easy to get hold of after Xmas. I’m not sure what supply on contract is going to be like. (And I’m not sure what proportion of people buy them each way).

Blog Entries
    I’ll probably wait a month to decide. Only reason to go to X over the 7+ is the camera for me. Also the missing fingerprint tech is a -ve for me.

Sure I saw it hyped online production was low and if the first batch was missed you’d be looking at post Xmas haha

I wouldn’t of been bothered either way, it did look while I was sorting out some other bits the silver went quicker.

Craftsman
    I can't really see any reason to move from my S7 Edge to an iPhone X... I've even got a headphone jack, home button and thumb scanner!

Yep, I ordered mine on the website while everyone was waiting for the app to ‘unveil’ itself.!
    Lots or disappointed people at work today, and one very pleased Me!

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Yep, I ordered mine on the website while everyone was waiting for the app to ‘unveil’ itself.!
    Lots or disappointed people at work today, and one very pleased Me!
    Guess it luck of the draw! Just checked and my order processed at 8:04.

Think is when I was then adding a case it appeared to be the silver was gone but SP still available.

Thumbs up

The 'notch' in the top of the screen of the iPhone X is a pretty serious design flaw! Spoils the symmetry of the screen and would always bug me.

For film viewing you can choose to use the screen estate excluding the notch (obviously viewable area suffers) but apparently for viewing photos in landscape, the notch is always present! Also, when viewing web pages in landscape, white bars are included either side of the screen to take account of the 'notch' - so reducing screen estate further. I hope Apple fixes this for the IPhone XI and gives us a genuine 'edge to edge' display.
    Last edited by The Hack; 28th October 2017 at 08:56.

Master
    Agreed the notch is a flaw. One way to solve it is just get rid of the front camera, and put a small screen on the rear for people to take selfies with - plus it's a better camera on the rear anyways.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Agreed the notch is a flaw. One way to solve it is just get rid of the front camera, and put a small screen on the rear for people to take selfies with - plus it's a better camera on the rear anyways.
    The notch contains more then just the camera though. Has all the face ID tech and sensors - it projects IR dots all over your face to map it

Sure there will be another more subtle design at some point - I think at the moment they are limited by current technology regarding embedding the above into screens

A lot of critics about Face ID - however I bet it becomes the standard and fully replaces touch ID within a few years
    Last edited by kultschar; 28th October 2017 at 09:59.

Craftsman

Sky mobile

Anybody have any dealings with sky mobile ? They, relatively speaking seem to be doing a very good deal on iPhone x

Seems a 2 year contract is £42.00 per month vs upgrading with vodaphone that want £80 per month.

At £80 per month no thanks but early 40's I can live with, or am I missing something about Sky mobile

Grand Master
    Bigger question for me, is this actually called the Apple iPhone X, or Apple iPhone 10, if it's the latter, then what happened to the iPhone 9?

I think they will keep their options open as the X is the '10th Anniversary' iPhone. They could therefore still in theory do 9, 10, 11 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    Bigger question for me, is this actually called the Apple iPhone X, or Apple iPhone 10, if it's the latter, then what happened to the iPhone 9?

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Exigeowner View Post
    Anybody have any dealings with sky mobile ? They, relatively speaking seem to be doing a very good deal on iPhone x

Seems a 2 year contract is £42.00 per month vs upgrading with vodaphone that want £80 per month.

At £80 per month no thanks but early 40's I can live with, or am I missing something about Sky mobile
    £42 a month will only pay for the phone?!

Quote Originally Posted by Exigeowner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    £42 a month will only pay for the phone?!

That seems like an interesting concept. Unless I've got it wrong, it appears you effectively don't own the phone, and have the option of sending it back after 24 months - like a car purchase. So depreciation of the phone is £1000+ over the 2 years (and it seems calls and data are extra)?

I would've thought a £1149 iPhone X 256 GB is still going to be worth a fair bit in two years (£400-450??), so depreciation of the phone is more like £700 or so. That's not really that great a deal (particulary as they say it's 0% interest, but they added a bit to make it £1272, for a phone that is £1149). I'm not quite sure what happens after the 2 years in terms of paying towards the iPhone XII.

Unless I've missed a change in the market, it's pretty much always better to buy the handset, then get a sim-only contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    It’s the X, which stands for 10, I think all new handsets after model X will be the ‘new’ range, and they’re reserving the 9 to be next years ‘standard’ handset, but, as this is Apple, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    It’s the X, which stands for 10, I think all new handsets after model X will be the ‘new’ range, and they’re reserving the 9 to be next years ‘standard’ handset, but, as this is Apple, who knows?
    its not x its ten, at no point was it called x. apple referred to it always as ten

Apple always refered to as 10? They might have during the launch speech, but it’s always called X everywhere else in their literature from what I’ve seen.
    It's just a matter of time...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestarp View Post
    its not x its ten, at no point was it called x. apple referred to it always as ten
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Apple always refered to as 10? They might have during the launch speech, but it’s always called X everywhere else in their literature from what I’ve seen.
    Being on a watch forum I trust you undersand the X represents the Roman numeral 10. It may read as X the letter, but it is certainly X the numeric 10.

Quote Originally Posted by sarky View Post
    Being on a watch forum I trust you undersand the X represents the Roman numeral 10. It may read as X the letter, but it is certainly X the numeric 10.
    of course.
    i was merely stating that apple call it ten not x

sent using an iPhone vs

I’m waiting for the 9 ;)))))

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thumbs up

Apparently John Lewis on line have 11,000 units for sale from 8am this morning......shame their website crashed the precise second they opened for ordering at 8am.

Pathetic in this day and age that a major retailer cannot be prepared for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Apparently John Lewis on line have 11,000 units for sale from 8am this morning......shame their website crashed the precise second they opened for ordering at 8am.

Pathetic in this day and age that a major retailer cannot be prepared for this.
    It does strike me as a bit crap. Apple, who surely are both aware of and in a position to prepare for huge demand, seem to suffer the same glitches when they open their orders - every year. Took me about 20mins to get my order in last week.

I’m presuming there’s some kind of technical reason rather than lack of preparation.

I'm due to pick mine up at 1pm.

Been trying to get used to mine since 7 and getting there haha

Feels good but keep going for the home button through habit

Its the same every year, but seeing the clapping hordes enter stores to the cult like countdown just makes me shudder and sad for society.

And I'm an Apple user

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Its the same every year, but seeing the clapping hordes enter stores to the cult like countdown just makes me shudder and sad for society.

And I'm an Apple user
    At my local Apple store they have been lining up since yesterday lunch time..

What’s that about I ordered online and I was delivered just after 7

At my local Apple store they have been lining up since yesterday lunch time..

What’s that about I ordered online and I was delivered just after 7
    Its crazy isn't it.

It appears to be people who WANT to queue to be part of the 'experience'. I know some of them do it to sell on at profit and sell their 'story'

Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Its crazy isn't it.

It appears to be people who WANT to queue to be part of the 'experience'. I know some of them do it to sell on at profit and sell their 'story'

Jesus.
    Same for some the trainers these kids want haha

Master
    Baaaaaaaa

Master
    I can't believe they designed it with that hideous notch on the front there is no way I would ever consider one with that strange design it looks terrible!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I can't believe they designed it with that hideous notch on the front there is no way I would ever consider one with that strange design it looks terrible!
    Agreed. Had a quick play with one. Not sure what the fuss is about really. OLED screen doesn't make that much a difference. Rather get an 8 and a Seiko diver!

Same for some the trainers these kids want haha
    true - its very strange, materialistic society we've created.

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    A non issue in use and they have located the time oneside and the signal/battery the other so it allows more area for viewing.

Sticking with the 7, £999 at least to pay is STEEP FOR A PHONE!

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Baaaaaaaa
    Mad haha

Master
    A non issue in use and they have located the time oneside and the signal/battery the other so it allows more area for viewing.
    Just odd that a company who are so famed for their design aesthetics to turn out something so pig ugly. First the apple watch, now this.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyRoses View Post
    I can't really see any reason to move from my S7 Edge to an iPhone X... I've even got a headphone jack, home button and thumb scanner!
    And wireless charging which I've been using since my Nexus 5 in 2013!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    Just odd that a company who are so famed for their design aesthetics to turn out something so pig ugly. First the apple watch, now this.
    But where else or how would you put the sensors that 3D model your face?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    But where else or how would you put the sensors that 3D model your face?
    The same place as on almost every other phone. Above the screen.